Frankie reads 2015

frankie

Kylie:

Woman you be freaking me out! :o It's like you were reading my mind when I was going through your new reading log! 

Yays! You've singled out The Phantom Tollbooth as one of the books you want to read this year! But is that only because you want to get me off your back about it?  I know you said I could keep pressuring you to read it, but I don’t want to pressure you too much because you might end up feeling like it’s homework. 

No, it's not because I want you off my back :lol: It's because I want to read the book!! I promise you =)

You have such an awesome TBR pile. I really enjoyed Rivers of London last year. It’s rather Fforde-like in its quirkiness. I hope to read at least the second book this year. The fifth book was recently published, so I really need to catch up! Speaking of Fforde, I think it’s been at least a few years since I read one of this books, so that’s definitely on my (unofficial) list of goals for this year. It's difficult to choose though—I have books from four separate series of his!

I forgot to say in my post in your new reading log that I also love your TBR pile! Whichever book I could come up with, you would have a copy of it. You have a real library all to yourself :wub:

Rivers of London is one of those books that I really, really want to read! Great to hear that it's Fforde-like, that's always a compliment! And you know, this is one of the first mind readings you did: I've thought about having to bump up the Fforde books on my TBR, too! I've had the TN books for years and I loved the first novel, so why am I stupid and not reading the books already?!

I don't know if I even knew that Fforde already has four different series.... Holy crap :D 

I didn’t realise you had so many de Beauvoir books on your TBR pile (well, I look at your lists every year, so I must have known this, but I hope you’ll forgive me for making comments about things I should already know about). 

Well one can't remember everything! And some things you remember better than others. I got most of the de Beauvoir books on one go. I think it was from the library book sale or then it was from the Red Cross charity shop. 

What’s Neal Cassady’s The First Third about? I don’t think I’ve heard of it before. Is it fiction?

Non-fiction. Autobiographical writings! Here's what Amazon says: 

Immortalized as Dean Moriarty by Jack Kerouac in his epic novel, On the Road, Neal Cassady was infamous for his unstoppable energy and his overwhelming charm, his savvy hustle and his devil-may-care attitude. A treasured friend and traveling companion of Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, William Burroughs, and Ken Kesey, to name just some of his cohorts on the beatnik path, Cassady lived life to the fullest, ready for inspiration at any turn.

Before he died in Mexico in 1968, just four days shy of his forty-second birthday, Cassady had written the jacket blurb for this book: “Seldom has there been a story of a man so balled up. No doubt many readers will not believe the veracity of the author, but I assure these doubting Thomases that every incident, as such, is true."

As Ferlingetti writes in his editor’s note, Cassady was “an early prototype of the urban cowboy who a hundred years ago might have been an outlaw on the range.” Here are his autobiographical writings, the rambling American saga of a truly free individual.

Cool beans!!

Kate Chopin’s The Awakening is a book I keep seeing mentioned around the place. For the longest time I assumed it was a pretty recent book, but I know now that it’s reasonably old, so I'm even more interested in reading it (and of course it helps that it’s on the Rory list). I never seem to see it around at book fairs and shops, but I'll definitely snap up a copy when I eventually find one!

This is another freaky coinky dink: I also thought for a very, very long time that it's a pretty recent book. I was pretty astounded when I actually read the blurb and found out it wasn't so. 

I got mine secondhand somewhere, I can't remember where. There's a cheap copy of the book at BookDepo, if you're interested? Not a very fancy edition, though. Oh dear, it's 36% off :D

I would highly recommend bumping up John Connolly’s The Book of Lost Things. It was an excellent read and I think you’d enjoy it.

And another freaky thing: I swear, just one or two nights ago I just started thinking about the novel, all of a sudden, and thought I should get to reading it this year. You're freaking me out :D

Mark Danielewski’s House of Leaves has got me really curious. It keeps entering my mind as a book I want to read soon. But I think it sounds rather difficult and creepy. Was this once discussed in the Rory thread as a possible group read?

It's definitely going to be difficult one, but I'm not that sure about the creepy. I'm so fascinated by it! Yeah, I believe someone suggested it as a possible group read. Would you be interested in it this year?

I’ve been wanting to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for so long it’s not funny. :( I even put it on my list of priority reads for last year and still didn’t read it. I get so exasperated with myself sometimes!! Rebecca is another book that makes me angry at myself for not reading. Were we going to read that together at some stage? If you want to read it together this year, let me know.

And yet another freaky: when I was going through your TBR I saw the title Rebecca and I thought if I should ask you if you wanted to read it together at some point, but then I thought maybe later. Your mojo's going so great, I don't want to possibly scare it off with group reads. 

I also want to try and finish reading the last few Sookie Stackhouse books (well, the ones I own, anyway). I read most of them in one year and then haven’t read any since. It’s another thing that frustrates me—having so many unfinished series on my bookshelves!

How manyeth freaky I don't know: I've been thinking about the exact same thing! I read most of them one year and then was waiting for new novels in the series, but when I got one, I'd kinda forgotten some of the main events and I thought I need to re-read the series from the start. Has she finished with the series already? I mean if I started re-reading them and then got to the new ones I've not read, would it end there, and I wouldn't have to fear about her writing yet a new one again and having to then, again, re-read the whole series. 

Ooh, The Portable Dorothy Parker! That could be an option for the poetry group, although it includes short stories as well. I keep thinking I should really get around to reading this. Maybe I’ll keep it in my bathroom for bathroom reading, because it would be best read in short bursts anyway. 

Hey yeah, that's an idea! I'd forgotten about Dorothy Parker =) I should get around to this, too! 

Short bursts? :D Are you talking about farts. :D

Edited by frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How manyeth freaky I don't know: I've been thinking about the exact same thing! I read most of them one year and then was waiting for new novels in the series, but when I got one, I'd kinda forgotten some of the main events and I thought I need to re-read the series from the start. Has she finished with the series already? I mean if I started re-reading them and then got to the new ones I've not read, would it end there, and I wouldn't have to fear about her writing yet a new one again and having to then, again, re-read the whole series.

I don't mean to "butt" in, but as far as I know she has finished the series, at 13 books. I own all books except book 12 for some reason. I also have one book of short stories that I think are related to the series. (All books on the TBR)

My goodness, your wishlist just grows and grows and grows! I’m surprised you can even fit it all in two posts. :D

I can’t remember if you’ve seen the movie of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist? I think you have. For some reason I thought it was based on a Nick Hornby book, but I can see from your wishlist that I was wrong. I hope to watch the movie sometime this year.

I was going to comment on other books on your wishlist, but there’s so much there, and I didn’t really have any comments other than ‘I want to read this too!’ and ‘Yes, you should really read this soon!’ :D It would be stating the obvious to say that we have a lot of books in common. Your non-fiction wishlist is particularly interesting; I could spend all day just looking up those books to find out more about them—especially the books about mental health.

As always, I love the pics you include for your challenges. :) The one of Marieke, Jennifer and Jason is so nice. Have you checked the website lately? They put up a beach-themed picture of them because the last episode of 2014 was about classic beach books.

How do you choose which books to keep at your parents’ place? Is it just random?

Aw, I love the ‘extra puppies’ you added. Radar is so cute!

Happy reading in 2015, my friend! :readingtwo:

There's no way Gone with the Wind is longer .... :o No way! I'm going to have to check this!

My copy of Gone with the Wind: 894 pages. 

My copy of The Pillars of the Earth: 1076.

:exc: I win the debate! :D

:giggle2:  Amazon cites my copy of Gone With the Wind at 1057 and Pillars of the Earth at 980.

My goodness, your wishlist just grows and grows and grows! I’m surprised you can even fit it all in two posts. 

I know, it's getting quite long, isn't it... At one point last year when I was adding another book on the list, I got a notice saying the post is too long... :blush: That's actually why I moved the Aussie book list and others to a different place, and then decided to eventually go for a separate wishlist for fiction and non-fiction. :blush: 

I can’t remember if you’ve seen the movie of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist? I think you have. For some reason I thought it was based on a Nick Hornby book, but I can see from your wishlist that I was wrong. I hope to watch the movie sometime this year.

I've seen the movie and I liked it :smile2: I like Kat Dennings and I really like Michael Cera, and the movie itself was good, too! Do you think you thought the book was based on a Nick Hornby book because.... of the name... Nick?  :hide:  :giggle2::D 

I was going to comment on other books on your wishlist, but there’s so much there, and I didn’t really have any comments other than ‘I want to read this too!’ and ‘Yes, you should really read this soon!’  It would be stating the obvious to say that we have a lot of books in common. Your non-fiction wishlist is particularly interesting; I could spend all day just looking up those books to find out more about them—especially the books about mental health.

This is pretty much why I didn't start commenting on your TBR lists: because I would've been saying the same two things over and over again :D And yeah, we're like book twins! It's so cool!! :smile2: 

As always, I love the pics you include for your challenges. The one of Marieke, Jennifer and Jason is so nice. Have you checked the website lately? They put up a beach-themed picture of them because the last episode of 2014 was about classic beach books.

I haven't checked the website lately, thanks for that! Why did they put poor Jason in the background again. What a humble, lovable gentleman :blush: 

You know, I've actually been meaning to go and look at the website because I haven't been keeping up with their book list for 2014. I need to add the new titles to my FTBC challenge list! 

How do you choose which books to keep at your parents’ place? Is it just random?

It's books that I don't feel all that keen to read anymore, but which I haven't had the heart to dispose of. I'm pretty sure that at this stage, my parents have more books than I do, which is really freaky!!

Aw, I love the ‘extra puppies’ you added. Radar is so cute!

Radar's the cutest. He's like, so cute! I always saved his pictures on my computer when Augusten put new ones up on his FB feed, but then of course my computer crashed. I lost so many doggy pictures, in general, it's not funny! It's rather sad. 

Happy reading in 2015, my friend! 

You, too, my dear friend! And once more: it's so awesome to have you more around here, it's been like Christmas! :blush:

Then, of course, your numbers are the only ones that matters :lol:

Yep! :D I'm not daring to walk in your thread in a few days in case you should remember this debate and want to re-discuss it :giggle2::D

Edited by frankie

Awww thanks Marie, what a lovely thing to say :blush::smile2: I hope you have a great reading year, too! :) 

On another note: my last visit to the library was so disappointing that I decided to make sure my next one will be better: I just reserved at least five titles that have been on my wishlist.... :giggle2:

My first mur.. review of the year! 

1. My First Murder by Leena Lehtolainen

From AmazonTwenty-three-year-old law student Maria Kallio is recruited for a temporary position at the Helsinki police department. Sweet-faced but tough and hot-tempered, Maria faces pushback from her new squad – so when a young playboy is murdered at his family’s summer villa, the new detective is out to prove herself.

Found floating face down at the water’s edge after a night of partying, Tommi Peltonen appears to have been murdered by one of his closest friends – but why? As Maria discovers, bitter passion and jealousy seethe under the placid surface of the group’s privileged, carefree lifestyle. [...]

The first book in Leena Lehtolainen’s international bestselling Nordic crime series starring Detective Maria Kallio, My First Murder serves up murder with a slice of life in the Finnish upper crust.

(Edited a few typos on the Amazon synopsis. Like for example the name of the victim, which was originally spelled as Pelatonen :rolleyes:)

Thoughts: Leena Lehtolainen is one of the well known authors in Finland, and I've known of her for as long as I remember. My Mom has some of her novels and I know her books have been popular here in Finland. Back in 2006 or so there was this lecture series in Joensuu that was available to everyone who was interested, and all the lecturers were north Karelian authors (the place I'm from). One of the guest lecturers was Leena Lehtolainen. After hearing her talk, I remember thinking that she's much more approachable than I'd thought. 

I've never really been interested in her books, though, before. I think a few of the novels have been made into a TV-series, even. It wasn't until the end of last year when I was trying new Finnish authors that I thought I might as well give Lehtolainen a go, too. 

The novel itself had a few things in common with another Finnish crime novel I'd read just a few days before and that was unfortunate: in both novels the murder took place during the summer and at a remote summer cottage or villa, and the murderer was most likely one of the guests in the villa. It confused me a bit to have read a similar sort of novel just before, but luckily the two casts of characters were so different that I managed to keep the two books separate in my head. 

I find it hard to know what to say about the novel. I enjoyed reading it and liked it, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I guess I've read too many foreign mysteries / crime novels that this one seems rather plain in comparison. That's not to say it was a bad novel. If you enjoy normal, more plausible crime novels where there are no car chases and the body count stays well under 10 or 5 or even 3-2, and there are no mind-blowing twists, but the book leans more to the common way of murder investigation, you might like the book. :)

And this is no Stieg Larsson, or Jo Nesbø, either, I'm afraid. But not everyone wants to read only those kinds of novels, I hope! :)

3/5

Edited by frankie

Have a great reading year Frankie :)

Thanks Weave, you too! :)

Happy reading frankie.. You have a lot of good books on your lists.. Maybe Human Traces will get a look in this year?

:D It should! :blush: I guess I fear it will be too smart for me. Even though I managed to read quite a few books last fall, after I'd gotten my mojo back, they were mostly quite easy reads, some of them light, too. I'm still fearing I might not be able to read anything that would require more than three brain cells :blush: 

# 2. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

A very loose translation from the blurb of my Finnish copy: "Mine is a story of craving: an unreliable account of lusts and troubles that began, somehow, in 1956 on the day our free television was delivered...."

She's Come Undone is a story about Dolores Price, a 'big-boned' and wide-mouthed girl who keeps on trucking through her childhood years into adulthood, no matter how rocky the road gets. Dolores isn't defeated by the neighbor's terror twins, the nervous breakdown her Mom goes through, her 117 kilos. She's not defeated by life nor death. 

Thoughts: I only heard of Wally Lamb through this forum, and over the years I got curious and visited the WL thread we have on here. Thanks to everyone on there, I decided to try one of his novels, and bobblybear recommended I go with SCU first. Thanks bobbly!  :flowers2:

When I was in Nurmes for the Christmas holidays, I was going through the fiction section and came by one Finnish WL translation, and it was SCU! :exc: The Finnish title was 'Dolores and the Flying Foot', which sounded really odd, but when you read the novel it makes sense. 

I liked the novel right from the start. Soon enough I noticed that it was one of those awesome 'epic' reads that tells the life story of a few central characters (usually there are also at least two different generations). You've scarcely had time to adjust to a new phase in the protagonist's life when you realize she's already moved on to another. And you're kinda sad because you want to read more of the previous phase because it was so fascinating, but you also want to see what happens to her next. You're torn! :D

And there were so many 'wtf' elements, at least in my opinion, and a few shocking twists, too. I tell you, Dolores did not have it easy! And Lamb doesn't want the reader to get too comfortable, either... 

There are a few things I want to mention for those who've read the book. Bobblybear, if you're going to reread the book soon, you're not allowed to look at these!!! 

These are in no particular order:

I loved

the scene at the hamburger joint where Dolores had finally had enough and told Dante everything, and at first he thought she was joking. It was so odd to read the re-cap of all the happenings in the novel so far, in such a few sentences. You'd read through it all in 300+ pages and you'd taken it all in, but when Dolores went through it all in a few minutes in her monologue, it sounded crazy, of course. How could that all happen to one person? It was so funny, to see it from Dante's point of view. 

And what about when

Dolores was 'entertaining' the guests at her grandma's funeral and all the while Dante was upstairs, trying to write a poem, feeling all 'sensual' and masturbating?! Ewwww! WTF! Dante was such a weird character. He had no shame whatsoever!

Oh and when Dolores

got her period, and her Mom was like, "That's fantastic, Dolores, thanks", and started crying because she was so upset. Of course she'd just had a huge fight with Dolores's Dad and you know what happened, and she wasn't herself at the moment, but you can just imagine how 'wonderful' Dolores must've felt about her period, which is a really touchy subject for a teenager to begin with! 

Recommended, if this is the kind of book you think you might enjoy! :)

5/5

Edited by frankie

It can't have required more than 3 brain cells as I'm pretty sure that's all I have! You are interested in psychology anyway like I am so that side of it should be enjoyable not a challenge.

:lol: I'm sure you are right. I just need to get out of my silly little head that's telling me I'm not up for smarter reads, and just try some! :yes: 

OK, I have to revert to using colours to answer all of your points. Frankie and Kylie

Woman you be freaking me out!
LOL!

No, it's not because I want you off my back :lol: It's because I want to read the book!! I promise you =)
Well in that case....hurry up and read it!

I forgot to say in my post in your new reading log that I also love your TBR pile! Whichever book I could come up with, you would have a copy of it. You have a real library all to yourself :wub:

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was going through your list! How cool would it be to live together and share all of our books? We would have such an epic collection. :D

Rivers of London is one of those books that I really, really want to read! Great to hear that it's Fforde-like, that's always a compliment! And you know, this is one of the first mind readings you did: I've thought about having to bump up the Fforde books on my TBR, too! I've had the TN books for years and I loved the first novel, so why am I stupid and not reading the books already?!

Haha. Well, I wouldn't call you stupid, but you should definitely read some more Fforde! I think I've only read the first four Thursday Next books so far, and the series was getting better and better with each book, so imagine how much you're going to love them! I'm not much better...I don't think I've read a single JF book since I got my cat, which I named after Jasper Fforde, 4 years ago.

I don't know if I even knew that Fforde already has four different series.... Holy crap
By my count, yes. There's 7 Thursday Next books, 2 Nursery Crime books, 1 Shades of Grey book (with another to come in 2016) and 3 Dragonslayek books (with another one to come next year). So much Fforde goodness for us to look forward to!

Non-fiction. Autobiographical writings! Here's what Amazon says: 
Cool, the Neal Cassady book sounds awesome! 

This is another freaky coinky dink: I also thought for a very, very long time that it's a pretty recent book. I was pretty astounded when I actually read the blurb and found out it wasn't so. 

It was probably you who made me think it was a recent book. :P

I got mine secondhand somewhere, I can't remember where. There's a cheap copy of the book at BookDepo, if you're interested? Not a very fancy edition, though. Oh dear, it's 36% off
Thanks, but ewww, I don't like that copy. :D There's a nice Penguin edition that isn't too much more expensive. But hang on, why are you linking to books and encouraging me to buy them?! You're supposed to be helping me to buy fewer books, not more! Is this some sort of conspiracy? Why are you trying to make me buy books only 5 days into the new year?! :o You are so naughty! I shall resist the temptation.

And another freaky thing: I swear, just one or two nights ago I just started thinking about the novel, all of a sudden, and thought I should get to reading it this year. You're freaking me out
Mwahaha. So you haven't yet realised that I can read your mind? Good.

It's definitely going to be difficult one, but I'm not that sure about the creepy. I'm so fascinated by it! Yeah, I believe someone suggested it as a possible group read. Would you be interested in it this year?
Yes, I would most definitely be interested in reading House of Leaves this year!

And yet another freaky: when I was going through your TBR I saw the title Rebecca and I thought if I should ask you if you wanted to read it together at some point, but then I thought maybe later. Your mojo's going so great, I don't want to possibly scare it off with group reads. 
I'm also up for reading this together, if you want. Don't worry about scaring off my mojo—I am going to chain it to me so it can't go anywhere. ;) 

How manyeth freaky I don't know:

:giggle2:

I've been thinking about the exact same thing! I read most of them one year and then was waiting for new novels in the series, but when I got one, I'd kinda forgotten some of the main events and I thought I need to re-read the series from the start. Has she finished with the series already? I mean if I started re-reading them and then got to the new ones I've not read, would it end there, and I wouldn't have to fear about her writing yet a new one again and having to then, again, re-read the whole series. 
Yep, as Gaia said, she's finished with the series. I don't think I'm going to bother buying the last one or two books (I found the ebook versions anyway, so I can read them if I want). I'm definitely not going to re-read all the other books again. I just don't have time for that! I might just read the summaries on Wikipedia to refresh my memory, and then get straight back into it.

Hey yeah, that's an idea! I'd forgotten about Dorothy Parker =) I should get around to this, too! 
I'm full of good ideas. :D

Short bursts? Are you talking about farts. :D

I knew that you were going to make some sort of comment like that! Cheeky!

I know, it's getting quite long, isn't it... At one point last year when I was adding another book on the list, I got a notice saying the post is too long... :blush: That's actually why I moved the Aussie book list and others to a different place, and then decided to eventually go for a separate wishlist for fiction and non-fiction.

Ahh, I thought your wishlist was usually in one post, but I didn't want to say anything because I thought I must have been wrong (not that I'm ever wrong, of course...)

Do you think you thought the book was based on a Nick Hornby book because.... of the name... Nick?  :hide:  

LOL. Maybe!

I haven't checked the website lately, thanks for that! Why did they put poor Jason in the background again. What a humble, lovable gentleman :blush:

Maybe he wanted to hide the shirt he was wearing.  :giggle: (Just kidding, the shirt really isn't that bad.)

You know, I've actually been meaning to go and look at the website because I haven't been keeping up with their book list for 2014. I need to add the new titles to my FTBC challenge list! 
I'm such an idiot! When I read your FTBC list, I felt slack because I hadn't sent you the book list lately and I thought you'd had to do it yourself because I thought the list looked up to date. But when I read your above comment, I realised I'd gotten confused when reading your list. Do you want me to send you the list? I like typing it up for you, but I know it can be fun to do it yourself too. Let me know. :)

It's books that I don't feel all that keen to read anymore, but which I haven't had the heart to dispose of. I'm pretty sure that at this stage, my parents have more books than I do, which is really freaky!!

Ah, OK. Do your parents read the books that you have at their place?

Radar's the cutest. He's like, so cute! I always saved his pictures on my computer when Augusten put new ones up on his FB feed, but then of course my computer crashed. I lost so many doggy pictures, in general, it's not funny! It's rather sad. 
You might want to look into getting a Pinterest account (it's free). You can basically add any pictures that you find around the Internet (or upload images you've scanned yourself), and other people can view your pics. You could have a doggie board, or even multiple doggie boards. The images are kept online, so if your computer ever crashes again, you don't need to worry about losing your doggie pictures!

You, too, my dear friend! And once more: it's so awesome to have you more around here, it's been like Christmas! :blush:
Funny that, what with it being Christmas and all... :P

On the day that we were originally commenting on each other's reading lists, I had a dream about us and books! But I can't remember if you were actually in the dream or if I just thought about you during it. There was a train platform that had a book sale of secondhand books, and I (or maybe we) looked at all the books but couldn't find anything of interest. Then the next day I was there (definitely by myself this time) and there was another secondhand sale, but I think the books for this were provided by the train station, and not the commuters, like the previous day. This time I found LOADS of great books that were on both of our wishlists  But I had a dilemma because I knew you wanted these books badly, but I wanted them too and wanted to keep them for myself. I think I decided that I would keep them and you could borrow them. :blush2: I'm not very generous!