Frankie reads 2015

frankie

#40. The Man Who Watched Women by Michael Hjorth & Hans Rosenfeldt 

Amazon: As a heatwave blazes in Stockholm, a series of women are found brutally murdered and the Criminal Investigation Department is getting nowhere. The murders bear all the hallmarks of Edward Hinde, the serial killer jailed by psychological profiler Sebastian Bergman fifteen years earlier.

Sebastian desperately needs some order in his chaotic life. [Omitted a few spoilers]

Thoughts: I recently read the first book in this series, Dark Secrets. What I liked most about that book was how we were introduced to the Criminal Investigation Department people and how we got to learn about their personal lives, too. The actual case wasn't that fascinating in my opinion, but the writing was decent enough and after finishing the novel, I kept going back to the CID people, wondering what happened to them afterwards. So I had to then borrow the sequel so I could read more about them. 

The sequel was darn good :o The best thriller I've read in a while. The case was really, really interesting, and this time it got more personal. Some of the main characters that we didn't get to learn in the previous novel that well were more prominent, in that we got to know more of them in this novel, and it tickled my fancy! 

I'm really getting attached to this lot and I've already started reading the third novel in the series. And what's more, I just learned that they've made a TV series of the book(s) or at least the characters! Just when I was beginning to think that these novels would make great TV... :lol: The series is called Sebastian Bergman, and this is from Amazon: Accomplished screenwriters and producers Hjorth and Rosenfeldt stormed the bestseller lists with the publication of SEBASTIAN BERGMAN in their native Sweden in 2010. Rosenfeldt is the creator of the hit BBC4 series THE BRIDGE, and both authors contributed to the screenplay for the original Swedish series of WALLANDER.

5/5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hehe no you did help because I had already felt like I might want to go with There's a Boy etc and you didn't tell me to absolutely definitively NOT start with that, or *to* start with any other specific one, so I know my choice is fine! :lol:

:D I kept thinking about your question and I did think, why not just tell Nollaig to start with There's a Boy because that's how I got started, but then I felt that that wasn't a very good reason in itself :D 

All in all, let's just say you made a fine choice, and run with it! :D

I haven't seen the movie, but I want to watch it :) Bobblybear asked me the same thing, so maybe she's seen it...? 

I've seen it and I remember enjoying it, but it sounds like I'm in the minority. :hide:  I'm not a great fan of Shia LaBeouf (or however you spell it), but he didn't bother me greatly. Sigourney Weaver is in it as well.

I've seen it and I remember enjoying it, but it sounds like I'm in the minority. :hide:  I'm not a great fan of Shia LaBeouf (or however you spell it), but he didn't bother me greatly. Sigourney Weaver is in it as well.

Happy to hear you enjoyed it, I really want to watch it! :smile2: And it's only been two people who've said they didn't like it... Not a very big majority! 

I've just found out a lot of very interesting stuff about Augusten Burroughs's current life. He and his family is moving to a place with a really gorgeous backyard, and he's going over the copyedit for his next novel, and last but NOT LEAST: they are getting a Great Dane puppy!!!! :wub::exc: I'm ridiculously excited about it. I can't wait to see pictures. 

No, he didn't say anything about the color. I'll be sure to post when I know! :D There was a picture of the backyard, it's huuuuuge and so green! Looks really lovely, and there's lots of space for the dogs to roam around :) 

#42. Disclaimer by Renee Knight

Blurb/book jacket: Imagine coming across yourself in a novel. A novel that exposes your darkest secret. A secret you thought nobody knew... 

"Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental."

The disclaimer has a neat, red line through it. A message she failed to notice when she opened the book. There is no mistaking the resemblance to her. She is a key character, a main player. 

- 'A searing story that resonates long after the final page. The best thriller I've read this year.' Rosamund Lupton

Thoughts: I came across this book in the new acquired books list on the library's website. The book cover caught my attention and I read the synopsis on Amazon and placed a reservation. I had rather high hopes for the novel, even before I saw Lupton's words and read the 'If you loved The Girl on the Train' you'll love this' -sticker on the front. (I haven't read that book yet but it's on my wishlist, I know many people on here have read it and loved it.)

I've been struggling with my mojo a bit lately, and I haven't been able to read in English very much in the past few months. I was afraid I couldn't get into this novel, either, but I did. I was hooked right from the start. And even though my mojo was playing tricks on me while reading the book and I had to sometimes read the last 20 pages again to remember where I was, I was still mesmerized by the story. The story and how it's unfolding is constructed perfectly. Things unravel little by little. I usually have to like a few characters in a novel to enjoy it to its full potential, but not with this book. I don't think I liked any of the characters. Everyone seemed to have their shortcomings. But that didn't really matter. 

It was such a sinister read, but so rewarding. So much better than I expected! I honestly thought that Lupton might've been just paid to praise the novel and that it can't be that good, but it really was :blush: This is a brilliantly crafted debut and I would recommend it to anyone who likes psychological thrillers :yes:

5/5

Edited by frankie

Dammit, another one to add to the wishlist. :doh::lol:

Hurrah! :D:exc: (When I was done with my review and did a little tweeks after that, I noticed you were reading my log and wondered if you'd say anything and if you'd add the book to your wishlist :D I know you read these sorts of books... :) )

I've been given notice that the owners of the apartment (my friend and her family) need to move back in because of their changed work schedule, and so I'm now having to find myself a new place to live. I won't go into any details because I'm really bummed as it is, but I know that I'll need to do a bit of book culling, again. When I move out, I won't have any furniture of my own except for 5 chairs :lol: Those will make a very poor bookcase... :D 

:lol: Yeah, I have no resistance whatsoever when it comes to books. :lol::doh:

Seems rather familiar...! :D 

Oh no, what a pain! How much notice have they given you?

My contract is good till the end of September, and they assure me they wouldn't kick me out if I haven't found a new place before that. But the thing is, my flatmate needs to move out by the end of July, and as soon as she's gone, the family will move in and take over her room. So if I don't get a new place and move out before the end of next month, I will have to live in this two bedroom + living room apartment with a family of two kids. There will be no peace, none whatsoever. It won't feel like home. It'll be like I'm a house guest whom everyone is just looking forward to moving out :rolleyes: 

Aww Frankie, I'm so sorry to hear that :(. You could put the chairs close together (to form a square in the middle) and stack the books on top of the seating areas :P?

Good idea! Better me on the floor than the books! :D 

Went to the library just now, on my way back home from the shops. Checked to see if any reserved books had arrived for me... And by chance, yes. And how fitting is it that it was The Girl on the Train :D 

Went to the library just now, on my way back home from the shops. Checked to see if any reserved books had arrived for me... And by chance, yes. And how fitting is it that it was The Girl on the Train :D

I hope you enjoy it :)!

Seems rather familiar...! :D 

My contract is good till the end of September, and they assure me they wouldn't kick me out if I haven't found a new place before that. But the thing is, my flatmate needs to move out by the end of July, and as soon as she's gone, the family will move in and take over her room. So if I don't get a new place and move out before the end of next month, I will have to live in this two bedroom + living room apartment with a family of two kids. There will be no peace, none whatsoever. It won't feel like home. It'll be like I'm a house guest whom everyone is just looking forward to moving out :rolleyes:

Oh no, that is not ideal, for you. I hope that your apartment gets sorted out *hugs*

Thanks Marie! I've had a few days now to get used to the idea and I have to try and look at the positives: I won't be kicked out, until I've found an apartment and that's the main thing. And living with a family will probably make me get out of the house more and that's only a good thing, right? :D Keeping my eyes out for the silver linings... 

#40. The Man Who Watched Women by Michael Hjorth & Hans Rosenfeldt 

Amazon: As a heatwave blazes in Stockholm, a series of women are found brutally murdered and the Criminal Investigation Department is getting nowhere. The murders bear all the hallmarks of Edward Hinde, the serial killer jailed by psychological profiler Sebastian Bergman fifteen years earlier.

Sebastian desperately needs some order in his chaotic life. [Omitted a few spoilers]

Thoughts: I recently read the first book in this series, Dark Secrets. What I liked most about that book was how we were introduced to the Criminal Investigation Department people and how we got to learn about their personal lives, too. The actual case wasn't that fascinating in my opinion, but the writing was decent enough and after finishing the novel, I kept going back to the CID people, wondering what happened to them afterwards. So I had to then borrow the sequel so I could read more about them. 

The sequel was darn good :o The best thriller I've read in a while. The case was really, really interesting, and this time it got more personal. Some of the main characters that we didn't get to learn in the previous novel that well were more prominent, in that we got to know more of them in this novel, and it tickled my fancy! 

I'm really getting attached to this lot and I've already started reading the third novel in the series. And what's more, I just learned that they've made a TV series of the book(s) or at least the characters! Just when I was beginning to think that these novels would make great TV... :lol: The series is called Sebastian Bergman, and this is from Amazon: Accomplished screenwriters and producers Hjorth and Rosenfeldt stormed the bestseller lists with the publication of SEBASTIAN BERGMAN in their native Sweden in 2010. Rosenfeldt is the creator of the hit BBC4 series THE BRIDGE, and both authors contributed to the screenplay for the original Swedish series of WALLANDER.

5/5

Great review, frankie.  I love it when the second one takes off like a rocket. :)

Ugh, sorry you will have to move again.  Will you stay in the same area?

EDIT:  Just saw on Amazon the TV series you mentioned....the same actor that played the original Wallander is in it.......hurrah for that! :D

RE-EDIT:  Just ordered the first book of the series, will wait for price to settle for second. :D

Edited by pontalba

Great review, frankie.  I love it when the second one takes off like a rocket. :)

Me, too! :smile2: It was rather a surprise, but not an unpleasant one at all :D 

Ugh, sorry you will have to move again.  Will you stay in the same area?

I'm looking for flats in Espoo and Helsinki. Don't want to move to Helsinki, but ... I'm doubling my chances of finding an apartment this way. Also all my friends live in Helsinki so that would be convenient. 

EDIT:  Just saw on Amazon the TV series you mentioned....the same actor that played the original Wallander is in it.......hurrah for that! :D

Yep, the very same man :D I don't like the idea of the same man playing two different major character in crime series, but what can you do. I'm sure there would've been other capable actors in Sweden, but ... they wanted to play it safe, perhaps? :rolleyes::D 

RE-EDIT:  Just ordered the first book of the series, will wait for price to settle for second. :D

Haha, very cool! Although now I'm getting nervous, of course.... What if you shall not like them! 

Haha, very cool! Although now I'm getting nervous, of course.... What if you shall not like them! 

Not much danger there, I don't think.  And, anyhow, all reading/exploring is a basic crapshoot! :D  But a fun one!