Frankie reads 2015

frankie

I've no idea which books other countries read for their English class, did you hopefully also read something you enjoyed? We read several books, such as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, In Cold Blood, Across the Barricades, To Kill a Mockingbird and Macbeth (as well as some old poems but I don't remember much about them :blush2:).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes of course we had a lot of wonderful reads, too, A Tale of Two Cities being a great example of those :smile2: Like I said, Tess was the only really horrible book that I had to read for uni :D But it was triple horrible :D

Ode to uni English classes

They were the best of times (A Tale of Two Cities),

They were the worst of times (Tess)

:drama::D 

Edited by frankie

Day 11 – A book you hated

No surprises here: it's Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. :thud:

From Amazon: The ne'er-do-well sire of a starving brood suddenly discovers a family connection to the aristocracy, and his selfish scheme to capitalize on their wealth sets a fateful plot in motion. Jack Durbeyfield dispatches his gentle daughter Tess to the home of their noble kin, anticipating a lucrative match between the lovely girl and a titled cousin. Innocent Tess finds the path of the d'Urberville estate paved with ruin in this gripping tale of the inevitability of fate and the tragic nature of existence.

From me: Want-to-bang-my-head-with-the-book-itself type of boring read. Utterly depressing. Sucks out one's life, and one's will to live. No I didn't feel sorry for the innocent Tess and I didn't find her likable. I didn't find anyone likable. Or interesting.

dog-sticking-out-tongue-big_zps0xcewfmp.

:giggle2:

Day 12– A book you used to love but don't anymore

The first time I read Michael Cunningham's A Home at the End of the World, I simply loved it. The characters came alive to me and I was mesmerized by their lives and wanted to live in the same bubble they did. The book was among my most favorites for some years. 

Some years ago the book was chosen as a Reading Circle book on here and as I was re-reading the book, I was de-mesmerized. I didn't see the appeal of the novel anymore, the way I used to. Sure, it's a good book to read but I was rather fazed by how unremarkable it was on a second read. 

This is why I'm very scared and reluctant to read some of my most favorite books :unsure: 

Awww, that's such a shame when that happens :(. I've usually really liked re-reading some of my favourites, almost all of the time I love the books just as much as I did the first time. It makes sense you are reluctant to re-read some of your very favourite books, I hope if you do do so, that you will love the book just as much as you did the first time.

Yeah, it's a real shame when it happens, but it can't be helped sometimes. Fortunately I've, too, loved most of my re-reads so I've only encountered a few disappointments. :smile2: One's got to take chances sometimes!

Day 13– Your favorite writer

Augusten Burroughs :wub:

Many summers ago a friend of mine recommended this weird sounding book to me called Running with Scissors. I can't remember what she said about it other than that she loved it, and I can't remember what thoughts or expectations I had of the book when I finally got to reading it. But I loved it. It was something that I'd never read before... or at least it felt like it. This guy, Augusten, wrote about the early years in his family, what with his highs-and-lows mother and drunk, absent and abusive father. And the years he spent living with his Mom's shrink's family... 

The things he had to go through were tragic and incredible. There were things I couldn't believe I was reading. But at the same time, Augusten managed to write about them in a way that I sometimes forgot that these things really happened and that they were sick, sick things. Heck, I was laughing out loud, like I was reading the best comedy ever! Augusten feels like such an optimist, and a person who manages to find the funny in all things, no matter how heinous and vile. That's something that I really admire in an author and a person. 

I read the book, and ordered copies of Dry and A Wolf at the Table (the 'sequels' to RwS) soon after. Read them too, and loved them just as much. Only they grew darker and darker with each book... AWatT is positively grim. 

After that I read Augusten's first and so far only novel: Sellevision. And I loved his fiction, too! After that I've also read Positive Side Effects and Magical Thinking, which are essays on life and stuff. Liking them just as much as the other books. I fell in love with his writing with RwS and have never looked back. I have a major crush on him... Oh if only he were straight and in the neighborhood! :wub::lol:

What I also adore about Augusten is that he is a major dog person. He's always had dogs. I follow him on Facebook and a few years ago he posted about his visit on a talk show, and talked about how they also had a segment on the show about dogs that were looking for a forever home. He got attached to one of the dogs in particular, and long story short, he ended up adopting the dog. The dog's called Radar because of his awesome radar-like ears. I've posted pictures of him on my reading logs a few times. 

(This is what he wrote about Radar, back in 28.4.2013. Radar's ears were at the time still pointing sideways :wub:

THIS IS HOW life messes with you.

As some of you may know, I am currently on tour for the paperback of my DIY self-help manual, This is How. By my calculations -which are suspect given that I can't even add fractions- this is my 13th or 14th book tour; and that's not counting international tours. So I kind of have it down to a science. I pack everything in two carry-on bags, one of which only contains my laptop, phone charger and stuff like that, so it slides right under the seat. My publisher arranges all the travel, including car services to pick me up and drop me off. In a way, it's like stepping onto a factory conveyer belt. Things generally flow smoothly. But once in awhile there's a glitch. It's usually something small like having the wrong address for a radio station. And after so many book tours, I expect these little glitches now and then. What I don't expect is for one of them to change my life.

But yesterday, that's exactly what happened. My driver had expected more traffic than there was so I arrived at Chicago's WGN-TV studio about an hour-and-a-half early. So I went into the spooky, empty cafeteria, sat on one of the plastic chairs and stared at the wall-mounted television. Rachael Ray was making deviled egg and bacon sandwiches and I remember thinking, that girl needs to stand up straighter or the countertop on her set should be taller. When I could reached my threshold for food preparation demonstration broadcasting, I pulled out my phone and started reading. When I next looked up, it was probably forty-five minutes later and what I saw on the screen caused me to freeze. It was a close-up of a puppy with ears that struck almost straight out from its head. I stood up and walked over to the TV. I realized, Rachael Ray was gone; this was local. And that could only mean one thing: this puppy with the Flying Nun ears was in this very building.

Sure enough, the segment featured three women -volunteers- from A Heart for Animals of Huntley, Illinois. They were on WGN to find homes for these three shepherd mix dogs. When the segment ended, I walked out into the hallway and waited for the stage door to open.

Several minutes later, the women appeared, each holding one of the puppies. I casually strolled the length of the hallway where, of course, others had gathered to fuss over the dogs.

One of the women handed me a puppy as though she'd been expecting me. And I took it in my arms. It was soft and warm and the heaviest part of the entire puppy was its paws. I could actually hold puppies for a living, so I lost track of time. I had to hand the dog back in order to be attached to a mic and shuffled onto the set for my interview.

When I was off the air several minutes later, the women were still there with the puppies in their arms. So I lingered. And I spotted the puppy with the sticking-out ears. Somehow -though I don't even remember asking- I ended up with this puppy in my arms. 

The next thing I knew, I was standing in front of a giant clown having my picture taken. 

But I had to leave because I was already going to be late for my radio interview (which I did, actually, miss). In the car I looked at the photo and sent it to my shiny new husband, Christopher. But as I looked at the shot, I saw that the puppy and I each had the identical semi-pathetic expression on our faces. We matched, exactly. In my note with the picture I said to Christopher, I feel I have made a grave mistake and should have the car turn around to get the puppy.

I was joking, of course. Because I knew Christopher would laugh and say, yeah right.

Instead, though, he contacted the ladies at A Heart for Animals and made the necessary arrangements to bring the puppy home to New York tomorrow.

I said, "You're not just doing this because of me, are you?" And he said, "What??? I watched the segment online and I was laughing so hard; he's perfect and great. He's totally ours."

If there hadn't been a glitch and I hadn't arrived at the TV studio over an hour early, there wouldn't be a puppy with flying-nun ears waiting for me when I get home next week. 

So yeah, this just became the best book tour ever, thanks to one TV station, three women from a no-kill shelter, and the best, coolest, funniest, sweetest guy I ever did meet."
Edited by frankie

I remember when I posted about that previously, and attached the picture of Augusten holding Radar the dog in front of a clown - and Jänet had a fit!  :empathy:   So I'm not going to post the same picture again, but I'll find another. Here it is. Radar!!

post-4458-0-79094800-1431719881_thumb.jpg

(Actually in the end, I did a little 'paint stuff' on the original picture and here it is, all Jänet-approved :giggle2:)

(I re-read the story and I had forgotten that Christopher had actually contacted the ladies and taken it upon himself to get Radar for Augusten and for their family. I love it that Augusten has found himself such a fine, sweet man :wub: Gush gush gush! :wub:

Aw, what a sweet story. I must have missed it the first time around. Thanks for posting the pic with it, too. :) It's so nice that Augusten has ended up with a good, 'normal' life after everything he has been through.

Aw, what a sweet story. I must have missed it the first time around. Thanks for posting the pic with it, too. :) It's so nice that Augusten has ended up with a good, 'normal' life after everything he has been through.

I don't think I posted the full story before, I probably only mentioned it in passing. But did post the picture with awful consequences :(:giggle2: 

That's what I forgot to say in my post: I'm so happy that Augusten's now living a good life, he seems so happy. He's found the right people and animals to be happy with :) That's another thing I admire about people: not 'wallowing' on what's happened to them in life, but trying to make the best of things and making themselves a brighter future. Not saying that it's always easy to do it, because some people are dealt with too harsh a hand early on.... Oh this is beginning to sound like a bunch of cliches. You all know what I mean. 

TL;DR: I'm happy for Augusten! :)

I just remembered: when I posted about Augusten on Friday, I had the most awful dreams that night. I think they were most definitely affected by me thinking about Augusten's Dad and A Wolf at the Table. I had a dream where there was this man whose family suffered because of him, and then he committed suicide. Jumped in a lake, and I found the body. Pulled him to the shore (he was surprisingly light). It was such a bad vibe dream!  :hide:

Edited by frankie

A weird but wonderful thing happened last night. I finished my first TBR read of the year :thud::D I can't believe that so far I've only been reading library loans. Tut tut. 

The important thing is that you're having a great reading year and also that you are supporting the library system.  :reading: My Book Box is helping me read some of the books that have been on the TBR shelf awhile but it isn't stopping me adding to the pile, albeit at a lesser velocity than in the last couple of tears. :)

A weird but wonderful thing happened last night. I finished my first TBR read of the year :thud::D I can't believe that so far I've only been reading library loans. Tut tut.

Congratulations :). Most of my reads this year have been library loans too :blush2:, but it is true what Chalie says, we do support our libraries that way :). It's difficult, isn't it, when you find something nice at the library, or something new, and the older books on your own shelves tend to be forgotten.

I hope the rest of the year will bring you nice reads, whether they are library loans or TBR, hopefully both :).

Yes, as Hayley said .. the enjoyment is the thing so you must go with the flow. Congratulations on reading your one TBR book though  :boogie:

Sorry to hear about your bad dream .. what horrible things dreams can be :( I think I've only ever had one good dream in my whole life! Sadly it wasn't (or hasn't been) recurring  :blush2: Takes a while to shake off a bad dream. We need the BFG to come blow our bad dreams away!! 

attachicon.gifsmug dog.jpg

:lol: :lol: 

Now this is my kind of communication! Thanks for the first laughs of the day! :D

:D

I have a DVD version of Tess that I love! I know the story isn't the most... uplifting, but I love it - I love HHardy's writing. As we've said a hundred times, wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same things. :)

I remember when I posted about that previously, and attached the picture of Augusten holding Radar the dog in front of a clown - and Jänet had a fit!  :empathy:   So I'm not going to post the same picture again, but I'll find another. Here it is. Radar!!

Why, thank you kind lady! :D

Clowns SUCK! :wibbly:

The important thing is that you're having a great reading year and also that you are supporting the library system.   My Book Box is helping me read some of the books that have been on the TBR shelf awhile but it isn't stopping me adding to the pile, albeit at a lesser velocity than in the last couple of tears.

You're right, supporting the library is vital :yes: But I must say, it's not as great a reading year as last year. I've already had more duds this year than last year and it's only May! I don't know how that can be  :hide:

Congratulations. Most of my reads this year have been library loans too, but it is true what Chalie says, we do support our libraries that way. It's difficult, isn't it, when you find something nice at the library, or something new, and the older books on your own shelves tend to be forgotten.

I hope the rest of the year will bring you nice reads, whether they are library loans or TBR, hopefully both.

Thanks Athena! It really doesn't matter where the books come from, does it, as log as they are nice! :)

Yes, as Hayley said .. the enjoyment is the thing so you must go with the flow. Congratulations on reading your one TBR book though.

Sorry to hear about your bad dream .. what horrible things dreams can be. I think I've only ever had one good dream in my whole life! Sadly it wasn't (or hasn't been) recurring.  Takes a while to shake off a bad dream. We need the BFG to come blow our bad dreams away!! 

Why do horrid dreams keep bothering you?  :empathy:  You've had more than your fair share by now, off you go bad dreams, go and scare some other unfortunate person!! 

I have a DVD version of Tess that I love! I know the story isn't the most... uplifting, but I love it - I love HHardy's writing. As we've said a hundred times, wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same things. 

Very boring, we couldn't communicate via doggy pictures, for one! :lol: 

Do you know, I might even enjoy a TV series of Tess, who knows! It's the book that bothers me. And admittedly, as it was a uni book, I couldn't just quit reading it. Otherwise I would've abandoned it and it wouldn't now stand as my most hated novel. The having to finish it added to its horribleness for me. 

Why, thank you kind lady!

Clowns SUCK! :wibbly:

Yeah they do, worse than vampires!  :empathy:

Thanks Athena! It really doesn't matter where the books come from, does it, as log as they are nice! :)

Agreed :).

I'm on a roll... I've started and finished my second TBR read :boogie::D It was The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit. Oddly enough both my TBR reads have been books acquired this very year.

I hope you enjoy this one :).

#30. The Other Woman by Joy Fielding

From Goodreads: When a beautiful young woman tells Jill Plumley that she intends to marry Jill's husband, Jill must figure out a way to save her perfect marriage.

Thoughts: My Aunt showed me this novel and told me I could have it if I wanted. I'd heard of the author but didn't think she would be the sort of author I'd like to read anything by, which is pretty silly of me, not even knowing what kind of books she writes. It was just one of those assumptions and prejudices. I skimread a few pages and thought why the hell not :shrug:

I knew it was going to be an easy read, in that it's a clear cut sort of novel with no nonsense and deeper levels and lyrical writing. It's the sort of book I won't remember reading after a few months, but nonetheless I fully enjoyed reading it. It was very entertaining and just what my mojo needed at the moment. A palate cleanser for when one's mojo is playing hide and seek. That bugger.

Sort of like Peyton Place but with fewer characters and not as good. But that sort of thing.