Frankie reads 2015

frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have so many interesting reads planned for yourself!! I hope you have a great reading year.

I've looked at the 50 most challenging reads list before but I never noticed that Johnny Got His Gun was on there. I read the blurb about that book a couple days ago and was really intrigued. Maybe I will have to buy and read it now 

Thanks BSchultz! :smile2: I was pretty mesmerized by your lists, too! Here's hoping 2015 will be a great reading year! :)

Happy Reading in the coming year, Sari!  Keep up the good mojo work! 

Thanks pontalba! :smile2: If I have anything to do with it, I'm sure going to keep my mojo under control and in good check!!

Hope you have a smashing reading year in 2015, and here's to another 100+ year! 

Thanks Claire! I worry that two years in a row might be pushing it, but one can always hope... :D 

I wish you a great reading year in 2015!

P.S. Puppies.

Thanks Athena! I hope you have a great reading year, too :smile2: 

So many books! (and that puppy is gorgeous!)

Radar's a real cutie!! :wub: He's a rescue dog and what I've read on Augusten Burroughs's FB page, Radar has a great life :smile2:

The Crow Road - Iain Banks. You know my thoughts about this one. (push it to the bottom of your TBR pile).

Yep, I most certainly remember your thoughts on it :D It's pretty safe to say it's not on top of my TBR list at the moment... (Or any time soon!)

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson. Loved this book. I have read it a couple of times, and there's always something new to be found, or some very interesting bit of trivia. I almost found it too full of interesting bits. I must give that a re-read again.

This is what worries me: I fear there's so much to take in, that my brain will start rolling around in the brain juices and it'll spin off balance and all the wires will disconnect and I will lose the ability to read anything :blush:

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett. Another favourite of mine, and one of the first historical fiction books I read. I should read it again, actually, as I've forgotten a lot of the detail.

The size of this book is seriously daunting. Not in a Gone with the Wind daunting way, but worse! It's massive :thud:

The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals - Wendy Jones. I had mixed feelings about this. The title led me to believe it would be a light-hearted almost comedic novel, but that is very far from the truth. There are some very, very dark moments in it. I thought the ending was unresolved, but apparently there is a sequel out.

I agree, one would think it's a rather light read. I've started the book twice, going over 50 pages on both occasions, but never finishing. I wasn't in the right mood and I decided to wait till I would appreciate it.

The Rosary Girls and The Skin Gods - Richard Montanari. These are fast-paced and decent thrillers, well worth reading.

I think it was Charm who recommended these novels. I've had them on my TBR for ages but for some reason I've never gone for them. I'm sure they'll be good once I get to them.

Afterwards - Rosamund Lupton. I finished this last month, but haven't posted a review of it yet. I thought it was a very good and original read.

Have you read the previous book by Lupton? How would you compare the two: which was better?

Are You There, God? It's Me Margaret - Judy Blume. Staple reading for every young girl going through puberty.  It's a bit dated, but still enjoyed it when I re-read it a couple of years ago.

:D Oh yeah, I can't wait to learn about stuff! I'm so confused by some of the things my body comes up with :giggle2: It'll be interesting to read it, I've heard it's somewhat of a classic, for sure!

Capital - John Lanchester. I really enjoyed this one; it was one of my favourite reads of 2014.

I can't remember why I added it to my wishlist. It must've been someone's recommendation on here. Was it yours by any chance? I've completely forgotten about what the book was about. Oh no, wait. It's coming back to me. There was an apartment building, and it's about the lives of the tenants. And stuff. Yes!!

Hope you have a great reading year, Frankie! You certainly have a lot of books to keep you busy! 

Thanks bobbly, and the very same to you!! And give Reuben a great big huggle from me, will you? :)

Enjoy your 2015 reading.... 

Thanks Diane, I hope you have a great reading year, too! :)

Enjoy reading all of those books in 2015! 

You, too, Karen, I hope you find a lot of great literary gems this year! :) 

I hope you have a super reading year. I'm glad to see that I have inspired you to add a few books to your wishlist as well.

I hope you have a great reading year, too, Brian! :) And come back more often :P  

Happy Reading in 2015 my darling   You did excellently well last year .. well done.

So great to see you again, poppyshake!! I hope you have an amazing, kick ass reading year in 2015! :smile2:

I've finally done all my reviews of 2014, and can start wrapping up the past reading log. I'm so happy to have finished with the reviews :blush: It means I can finally focus on 2015, and I can finally start catching up on your guys' reading logs, past and present! :smile2: I'm so happy to have my laptop back, I can finally catch up with so many things! :smile2: I'll have to leave that for tomorrow, though, and the weekend, because I'm cream crackered! 

Edited by frankie

This is what worries me: I fear there's so much to take in, that my brain will start rolling around in the brain juices and it'll spin off balance and all the wires will disconnect and I will lose the ability to read anything :blush:

Well, that's a definite possibility! One must be careful with these things. :giggle2:

The size of this book is seriously daunting. Not in a Gone with the Wind daunting way, but worse! It's massive :thud:

I didn't think it was as big as Gone With The Wind, but I don't have a paper copy anymore so I can't compare (not that I have a paper copy of Gone With The Wind to compare it to, either :blush2: ). But because the story is so good, you want it to be even longer. :D

Have you read the previous book by Lupton? How would you compare the two: which was better?

No, haven't read the previous book, but I see it a lot on Amazon (I think it is constantly recommended to me, or something). I only bought Afterwards because it was on offer, but will buy Sister if the price comes down.

:D Oh yeah, I can't wait to learn about stuff! I'm so confused by some of the things my body comes up with :giggle2: It'll be interesting to read it, I've heard it's somewhat of a classic, for sure!

Yes, there's lots to learn.  :giggle:  It is somewhat of a classic and I think everyone from my generation has fond memories of it; it's a short read.....easily finished in a day.

I can't remember why I added it to my wishlist. It must've been someone's recommendation on here. Was it yours by any chance? I've completely forgotten about what the book was about. Oh no, wait. It's coming back to me. There was an apartment building, and it's about the lives of the tenants. And stuff. Yes!!

Yeah, I think it was my recommendation as I gave it a high rating (either 5/6 or 6/6). It's about a street in London, rather than an apartment building, but you're right.....it is about the lives of the inhabitants.

Thanks bobbly, and the very same to you!! And give Reuben a great big huggle from me, will you? :)

Definitely... he loves his huggles. :D

I didn't think it was as big as Gone With The Wind, but I don't have a paper copy anymore so I can't compare (not that I have a paper copy of Gone With The Wind to compare it to, either :blush2: ). But because the story is so good, you want it to be even longer. :D

I totally agree, Pillars of the Earth is so good... Gone With the Wind is longer :smile: but Atlas Shrugged is longer still! (And The Stand is even longer).   I will be reading the "sequel" to Pillars of the Earth, World Without End this year

Happy Reading!  :smile:   

I didn't realise The Stand is longer, but maybe it's because I've read it so many times that I just whiz through it. I have Atlas Shrugged on my bookshelf, and that is a whopper.

Anna, I didn't enjoy World Without End as much as Pillars of the Earth, but I hope you like it more than I did. It wasn't a strict sequel and could probably be read as a standalone. (Mind you I read it years ago - I think I bought it on the day of it's release and read it straight away - so I could be mistaken).

All this talk really makes me want to read Pillars of the Earth again. :thud: I must resist as I have too many other books on my TBR pile.

I plan on reading a book by Ken Follett this year, perhaps Pillars of the Earth. But it is a long book, I am also a bit daunted by its size!

It's well worth it! It's the kind of book that you wish was even longer. :readingtwo:

I agree.  I've read it twice, many years apart and enjoyed it quite a lot.  Haven't read the sequel yet....it's on the shelf here. /sigh/ :)

Sari, I mentioned over on BB;s thread about Sister, the first of Lupton's books. Thought I'd repeat here for you.  I found Sister to be more "exciting/thriller" type than Afterwards, but thoroughly enjoyed both. 

Well, that's a definite possibility! One must be careful with these things.

Indeed! At this age, all malfunctions become all the more likely! :unsure::D

I didn't think it was as big as Gone With The Wind, but I don't have a paper copy anymore so I can't compare (not that I have a paper copy of Gone With The Wind to compare it to, either). But because the story is so good, you want it to be even longer.

I totally agree, Pillars of the Earth is so good... Gone With the Wind is longer 

There's no way Gone with the Wind is longer .... :o No way! I'm going to have to check this!

My copy of Gone with the Wind: 894 pages. 

My copy of The Pillars of the Earth: 1076.

:exc: I win the debate! :D

No, haven't read the previous book, but I see it a lot on Amazon (I think it is constantly recommended to me, or something). I only bought Afterwards because it was on offer, but will buy Sister if the price comes down.

I hope you get a chance to acquire a copy of Sister at some point =)

Yeah, I think it was my recommendation as I gave it a high rating (either 5/6 or 6/6). It's about a street in London, rather than an apartment building, but you're right.....it is about the lives of the inhabitants.

Oh yes, a street, not an apartment building. But I was close...! :blush:

Definitely... he loves his huggles. 

So is he okay with the washed balls again? :D

Happy 2015 reading Frankie!

I have Pillars of the Earth on my TBR... All this talk makes me want to move it up, but having just finished an 800 page epic, I might delay until February maybe...

Happy reading to you, too, Alexi! :smile2:

And yeah, I can totally understand if you don't want to go straight from one doorstopper to another... One must cleanse one's palate first, with a shorter in-between-courses. 

Sari, I mentioned over on BB;s thread about Sister, the first of Lupton's books. Thought I'd repeat here for you.  I found Sister to be more "exciting/thriller" type than Afterwards, but thoroughly enjoyed both.

Thanks for your thoughts! It's good to know the latter is not as 'thrillery' as the former, but then again I like to think I'm up for different kinds of crime novels / thriller / psychological suspense and stuff :)

I must confess to a little giggle at this - did Kay really recommend it?!  :giggle:

:lol: :lol: I'd forgotten about that... Not the book, but what comes after :giggle2:

You see... How shall I try and explain this, and quickly too, before poppyshake pops in and gets all horrified.... :lol:

You see... In this particular case, I first heard of the book from poppyshake. She definitely didn't recommend it,... Let's say she referred to the novel on a number of occasions. I then got a recommendation from Alan himself. I can't remember if it was via poppyshake, or how it came about. So.... To answer your question, no?

:lol:

Happy reading in 2015.  :)  

You, too, my dear Jänet!  :hug:

I went to the library today, to take back a few books and a DVD. Yesterday I'd checked online the status of my reserved books and had noticed that one book was on its way to me, to the library. So I checked the reserved books bookcase, but it wasn't there yet! I felt cheated :(

And then I looked at the new releases and bestsellers shelves, and the 'returned today' book trolley. 

And I came up with nothing! I left without borrowing anything! It was a weird feeling. I felt rather empty inside. And my over-the-shoulder bag felt equally empty. :unsure::D

Edited by frankie

I went to the library today, to take back a few books and a DVD. Yesterday I'd checked online the status of my reserved books and had noticed that one book was on its way to me, to the library. So I checked the reserved books bookcase, but it wasn't there yet! I felt cheated :(

And then I looked at the new releases and bestsellers shelves, and the 'returned today' book trolley. 

And I came up with nothing! I left without borrowing anything! It was a weird feeling. I felt rather empty inside. And my over-the-shoulder bag felt equally empty. :unsure::D

It's never nice when that happens :(. I hope the book arrives soon and that you find some other great books too, in the near future :)!

It's never nice when that happens :(. I hope the book arrives soon and that you find some other great books too, in the near future :)!

Thanks :) In all fairness, it wasn't really important to already get the copy, because I have enough library books as it is. But it was just such an odd and empty feeling to come out of the library with nothing :lol: 

I have to split my comments into a couple of posts. :)

Yays! You've singled out The Phantom Tollbooth as one of the books you want to read this year! But is that only because you want to get me off your back about it? :D I know you said I could keep pressuring you to read it, but I don’t want to pressure you too much because you might end up feeling like it’s homework. :(

You have such an awesome TBR pile. :) I really enjoyed Rivers of London last year. It’s rather Fforde-like in its quirkiness. I hope to read at least the second book this year. The fifth book was recently published, so I really need to catch up! Speaking of Fforde, I think it’s been at least a few years since I read one of this books, so that’s definitely on my (unofficial) list of goals for this year. It's difficult to choose though—I have books from four separate series of his!

I didn’t realise you had so many de Beauvoir books on your TBR pile (well, I look at your lists every year, so I must have known this, but I hope you’ll forgive me for making comments about things I should already know about). :D

What’s Neal Cassady’s The First Third about? I don’t think I’ve heard of it before. Is it fiction?

Kate Chopin’s The Awakening is a book I keep seeing mentioned around the place. For the longest time I assumed it was a pretty recent book, but I know now that it’s reasonably old, so I'm even more interested in reading it (and of course it helps that it’s on the Rory list). I never seem to see it around at book fairs and shops, but I'll definitely snap up a copy when I eventually find one!

I would highly recommend bumping up John Connolly’s The Book of Lost Things. It was an excellent read and I think you’d enjoy it.

Mark Danielewski’s House of Leaves has got me really curious. It keeps entering my mind as a book I want to read soon. But I think it sounds rather difficult and creepy. Was this once discussed in the Rory thread as a possible group read?

I’ve been wanting to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for so long it’s not funny. :( I even put it on my list of priority reads for last year and still didn’t read it. I get so exasperated with myself sometimes!! Rebecca is another book that makes me angry at myself for not reading. Were we going to read that together at some stage? If you want to read it together this year, let me know.

I also want to try and finish reading the last few Sookie Stackhouse books (well, the ones I own, anyway). I read most of them in one year and then haven’t read any since. It’s another thing that frustrates me—having so many unfinished series on my bookshelves!

Ooh, The Portable Dorothy Parker! That could be an option for the poetry group, although it includes short stories as well. I keep thinking I should really get around to reading this. Maybe I’ll keep it in my bathroom for bathroom reading, because it would be best read in short bursts anyway. :blush2:

Thanks :) In all fairness, it wasn't really important to already get the copy, because I have enough library books as it is. But it was just such an odd and empty feeling to come out of the library with nothing :lol:

It just seems wrong, doesn't it :lol:.