Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm getting

The Virgin And The Gipsy

I don't normally read classics - hope it's not hardgoing

Just had a look on Amazon

Synopsis

Yvette is an innocent rector's daughter. When she meets a handsome gypsy she feels him watching her, acutely aware of her virginity. Half drawn to him and half afraid, it is only when her life is endangered that she finally feels true love. United by the theme of love, the writings in the "Great Loves" series span over two thousand years and vastly different worlds. Readers will be introduced to love's endlessly fascinating possibilities and extremities: romantic love, platonic love, erotic love, gay love, virginal love, adulterous love, parental love, filial love, nostalgic love, unrequited love, illicit love, not to mention lost love, twisted and obsessional love...

Here's what it says on the Penguin website about The Complete Short Stories:

Author: H. H. Munro

In these macabre, acid and very funny short stories, Saki drives a knife into the upper crust of English Edwardian life. Here we meet in particular two of his most brilliant creations, the self-possessed Clovis and the vain and supremely stylish Reginald. There is tea on the lawn, the smell of gunshot, the tinkle of the caviar fork and beneath it all the half-seen, half-felt menace lying beneath the polished surface of society.

This is the cover of the book:-

post-460-127972300401_thumb.gif

Thanks PDR for the link!

I am going to get The Pot of Gold and Other Plays. Well that will be different :)

This will be a complete change for me!!! According to Amazon, it's written by Titus Plautus over 2000 yrs ago and is still relevant and funny today. O well always up for a challenge me :lol:

I got 'The Spy Who Loved Me' is that a James Bond? - is that a classic?

Here's yours HandD!!! -

Vivienne Michel is in trouble. Trying to escape her tangled past, she has run away to the American backwoods, winding up at the Dreamy Pines Motor Court. A far cry from the privileged world she was born to, the motel is also the destination of two hardened killers - the perverse Sol Horror and the deadly Sluggsy Morant. When a coolly charismatic Englishman turns up, Viv, in terrible danger, is not just hopeful, but fascinated. Because he is James Bond, 007, the man she hopes will save her, the spy she hopes will love her ...

Thanks for the link, PDR! I'd never have known about this otherwise. :D

:) I'm quite glad I didn't get this one!

My heart sank a bit when I was allocated "Plays Extravagant" because I'd never heard of it and I'm not keen on plays. A hasty trip to Amazon reveals that it's a collection of three plays by George Bernard Shaw. I've never read any of his work, but I like My Fair Lady, which was (no doubt very loosely) based on Pygmalion, another of his, so I might like it. :lol:

I'm quietly concerned about my selection - I desperately want to enter into the spirit of it but . . . 700 pages of philosophy - help!

I've read Barnard Shaw's Pygmalion and enjoyed it - I think you'll be fine with the plays.

Is it open only to members in the U.K., or can folks from other countries also receive a free book? :) I looked on their website, but they didn't address this question.