Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2015

Little Pixie

I really enjoyed the Elizabeth Peters books … I've read the first seven while they were all 84p on Kindle which the whole series was for a long time, and then I looked again, and they've all gone up to between £2.37 and £5.99 now.  Wish I'd bought the lot when they were cheap!  :doh:

I read the first one almost 10 years ago and wasn`t sure if I wanted anymore in the series* ; then I read a mystery book about Egypt recently, re-read the Elizabeth Peters book and wanted to get more in that series.  The ones I`ve ordered were around £2.25 -ish in the used Amazon bit, which is pretty good but not as bargainous as 84p !   :smile:

* I was put off by the ending...<< It seemed to skip ahead a few years:smile:  << Highlight for spoiler, I can`t remember how to do them on here.  :blush2:

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Mr and Mrs North books - 

Murder is Served, Death of an Angel, Murder comes first, Murder within Murder - Frances and Richard Lockridge     £11.54

Books read : 11                        TBR 815              New Books Bought : 60                       Total Cost : £ 141.50

I'm sorry to hear about Xiao-Xiao and your flu :(.

I hope you enjoy your new books :D!

Highlight for spoiler, I can`t remember how to do them on here.

Click the third button on the bar, the one next to the one that looks like an eraser, that is to the left of the "Font" bar, then select Spoiler from the drop down box. Alternatively (which is what I do but most people use the above method), type [ spoiler ]Your Spoiler Here [ / spoiler ] without spaces between the [, ] and /.

I'm sorry to hear about Xiao-Xiao and your flu :(.

I hope you enjoy your new books :D!

Click the third button on the bar, the one next to the one that looks like an eraser, that is to the left of the "Font" bar, then select Spoiler from the drop down box. Alternatively (which is what I do but most people use the above method), type [ spoiler ]Your Spoiler Here [ / spoiler ] without spaces between the [, ] and /.

Aw, thank you.  :D

And thanks for the help, too.

Wow some amazing bargains in that last haul! 50p for a hardback Elizabeth Is Missing?! I need to shop where you shop! :lol:

I think that so many people donate to the Save the Kitties charity shop that they`re able to offer some real bargains ; they also have a couple of big bins with 20p books in them, and if they haven`t  been able to sell something, they put it outside the shop in a `please take for free` box.  :smile:

That's very cool. If I find a book in my local charity shops for less than €1.50, that's a bargain. But then they're not particularly big charity shops.

I find the Oxfam bookshop pretty pricy here ; they have some good books, but at higher-then-used-bookshop prices.  :smile:

We have an Oxfam one, I've actually never been in. The two I frequent are both Irish Cancer Society shops. They're definitely not bad, they do a load of other stuff besides books, too.

I tend to go to the Kitties one and the hospice one ; they`re the easiest to get to when I go into town for acupuncture, and they`re both local charities, which I like.   :smile:

Now to catch up with the books I`ve read....

#12   Cream Puff Murder - Joanne Fluke

#13   Plum Pudding Murder

#14   Apple Turnover Murder

#15   Gingerbread Cookie Murder

#16   Devil`s Foodcake Murder

#17   Cinnamon Roll Murder

#18   Red Velvet Cupcake Murder -Joanne Fluke

I enjoyed my Hannah Swensen re-read, though the books do tend to blur into one big book when you read them one after the other, and you realise quite how many bodies Hannah manages to stumble across. 

Some of my favourite lines...From Apple Turnover Murder.

Hannah and her cat Moishe have just woken up...

.. cat and mistress left their bedroom and padded down the hall. Moishe was wearing his orange and white fur suit, and Hannah was dressed in jeans and a short-sleeved buttercup yellow blouse. Hannah was still wearing her fur-lined slippers and Moishe was doing the same. :giggle2:   

#19   Hildegarde Withers makes the Scene - Stuart Palmer

The last of the series *sniff*. Hildegarde - retired NY schoolmarm - goes amongst the hippies in San Francisco to locate a missing girl and solve a murder. Perhaps not the funniest or most gripping of the books, it was completed after the author`s death, and it`s nice to have one final Hildegarde adventure. They made some lovely films of the books - click. 

#20   Who is Simon Warwick - Patricia Moyes

Another of the Emmy and Henry Tibbett books. A jaw-dropping denouement. 

Simon Warwick turns out to be one of the female characters, having had a sex-change. Well, I never saw that coming.

#21   Shimura Trouble - Sujata Massey

Rei Shimura and her family visit some recently discovered Japanese relatives in Hawaii and solve a mystery. I`ve liked other books in the series more, though I`m not sure I can put my finger on why. 

#22   The Future falls - Tanya Huff

Third in a series. The Earth is doomed by an asteroid and Charlie and her magical family have their work cut out for them in averting disaster. I can`t decide if the ending is really very clever or a cop-out ( though when I first read it, I thought meh... ) 

#23   Not a creature was Stirring - Jane Haddam

Gregor - Armenian-American retired FBI agent - is asked to visit an elderly rich man to help him with an issue ; he doesn`t want to go, but is persuaded to go by his friend, an Orthodox priest. Getting to the big estate, he finds snow everywhere and the man just murdered...The mystery is good, and  it was one of those readable enough books, which I might get more of in the future, but it didn`t immediately grab me. 

#24   Death takes a Bow - Frances and Richard Lockridge

Just great fun, and I`ve ordered lots more of these out-of-print books. Pam ( cat mummy and martini drinker ) and Jerry North ( NY book publisher ) keep falling over bodies, to the consternation and amusement of their friends, Dorian and Bill Weigend ( Captain, NYPD ). Starting in the New Yorker in the 1930`s and ending up as a series of 26 books, Broadway play, TV series, the Norths reminded me of Nick and Nora Charles, though with lots of cats instead of Asta the Dog. 

One of Jerry`s authors drops dead on stage right before giving a lecture, and Pam and Jerry investigate.

Fun lines from Death takes a Bow...

Pam takes her young nieces out to lunch...

Pam had to shake her head again when the waiter suggested cocktails, shaking it in an undertone to match the tone of the suggestion.  Pam had a mental picture of a martini, very cold with beads on the glass - because the glass had first been iced - and a lemon peel twisted over it but not dropped in.  No olive, Pam told her mental picture.

" I think the tomato juice cocktail would be nice, to start with, don`t you , girls ?"  Pamela North said, a heroine in her own right. 

:giggle2:

#25   How to talk to your Cat - Patricia Moyes

A non-fiction book, more about cute stories of cats than an actual ` how to`. Very funny.

#26   The Maltese Goddess - Lyn hamilton

Antiques dealer Lara goes to Malta to deliver some furniture and comes across a body. The historical bits of the book are interesting and there are some good scenes of peril, but it reminded me a bit of a sub-par Mary Stewart.  

#27   Reel Murder - Marian Babson

So-so.

#28   Home Sweet Homicide - Craig Rice

A lovely little mystery. Widowed mother writes detective stories and her children investigate a murder in a near-by house, whilst trying to pair her up with the lead detective. Cute but not cloying. 

#29   The Girl in the Cellar - Patricia Wentworth

A bit meh about this one, though I generally enjoy the Miss Silver mysteries.

#30   Austenland - Shannon Hale

A really funny read. Jane - New Yorker and maybe a bit too obsessed with Mr Darcy - gets a trip to a Jane Austen role-playing Resort in her Great-Aunt`s will and decides to get over her obsession once and for all, by going all out and embracing the Austen lifestyle. 

#31   Thus was Adonis murdered - Sarah Caudwell

Wryly amusing whodunnit. Julia - tax barrister - goes to Venice and finds a body. The book has letters from Julia from her ongoing Venetian trip interspersed with the adventures of her fellow barristers in trying to prove her innocence from London. 

Fun quote :

“On my first day in London I made an early start. Reaching the Public Record Office not much after ten, I soon secured the papers I needed for my research and settled in my place. I became, as is the way of the scholar, so deeply absorbed as to lose all consciousness of my surroundings or of the passage of time. When at last I came to myself, it was almost eleven and I was quite exhausted: I knew I could not prudently continue without refreshment.” 

February

#32   Sweet Death, Kind Death - Amanda Cross

#33   Something the Cat Dragged in - Charlotte Macleod

#34   The Corpse in Oozak`s Pond - Charlotte Macleod

#35  The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory

Fascinating and gripping. Really beings the story to life.

#36   The Lady Elizabeth - Alison Weir

#37   The Spellman`s Strike Again - Lisa Lutz

#38   No word from Winifred - Amanda Cross

This may be my favourite of the Prof. Kate Fansler books. In this one, she investigates the mystery surrounding the missing Winifred, niece of a famous English novelist. Winifred`s letters and anecdotes about her from people Kate is able to trace, are interspersed with the ongoing search for Winifred. 

March

#39   Whispers in the Sand - Barbara Erskine

Newly divorced Anna decides to take a trip to Egypt; she takes along the scent bottle and the diary of her great-great-grandmother, a famous illustrator who also took the same trip as Anna is making.  Anna`s journey is paralleled with excerpts from the diary; as it goes on, you realise that Anna is experiencing something spooky which her ancestor also experienced...The ending does rather go on and on, but despite that , it`s a real page turner, which brings ancient Egypt to life and made me want to read more books like this , like the Elizabeth Peters` books. 

#40   Crocodile on the Sandbank - Elizabeth Peters

The first of the Amelia Peabody books. Victorian spinster Amelia is left a large inheritance to the chagrin of her brothers and sets off to see the world. 

#41   The Judge is Reversed - Frances and Richard Lockridge

#42   Murder in a Hurry - Frances and Richard Lockridge

#43   Voyage into Violence - Frances and Richard Lockridge

#44   The Long Skeleton - Frances and Richard Lockridge

Lots of the Pam and Jerry North books. Huzzah !  :D

Edited by Little Pixie

I quite liked those quotes :D!

You've read quite a lot, it's nice to read up on what you're been reading. I very much approve of the amount of 'cat-ness' / 'catty-ness' in your post  :kiss:.

I`ve had some lovely ` cat` reads lately.  :D

I`m really enjoying the Mr and Mrs North books, they have some cat descriptions which are so concise and exact.  :smile:

More Mr and Mrs North books ( Frances and Richard Lockridge )

Curtain for a Jester   £3.14

Dishonest Murder   £3.39

Dead as a Dinosaur     £4.14

Norths meet Murder    £6.29

Hanged for a Sheep    £.4.59

Books read : 11                        TBR 820              New Books Bought : 65                       Total Cost : £ 163.05

Edited by Little Pixie

What a lot of books you've been devouring!  Good show! :D

Really nice lists, Sarah. :) I love your thumbnail sketches of the books. 

Thank you ! Do push your Mr and Mrs North book up in your reading list* ; I`ll be interested to see if you like it as much.  :D Though ,  you need to be the mood for particular genres, I find.  :smile:

* I`ll read something which you`ve picked from my TBR too ? 

Edited by Little Pixie

Thank you ! Do push your Mr and Mrs North book up in your reading list* ; I`ll be interested to see if you like it as much.  :D Though ,  you need to be the mood for particular genres, I find.  :smile:

* I`ll read something which you`ve picked from my TBR too ? 

I honestly can't remember atm if I've actually bought any Mr. and Mrs. North books.....but I did find some DVDs on sale on Amazon.  They are sitting on the table in front of the machine right now.  I'll have to search my Library Thing account.  :blush2:

Not to butt into the conversation, but I just wanted to say I feel the same way :).

Piffle.  You're not.  And, you're right.  I'm definitely a "moody" reader. 

I'd fully intended to go back to another "present" read after I finished my reread of The Martian.  Well, last night I finished, and started something entirely different.  Hah, go figure!  :hide:

Not to butt into the conversation, but I just wanted to say I feel the same way :).

It`s not butting in at all.  :friends3: I can read a whole string of cozy mysteries, then suddenly feel the need for something completely different, like a heavily lauded novel translated into English and running to 800 pages.  :smile:

I honestly can't remember atm if I've actually bought any Mr. and Mrs. North books.....but I did find some DVDs on sale on Amazon.  They are sitting on the table in front of the machine right now.  I'll have to search my Library Thing account.  :blush2:

I remember there was one on a pic you posted ; a pile of books ( I know, I expect that doesn`t narrow it down for anyone on this board  :giggle2: ) near a sofa with reading glasses on top ? There were some Rome books too, and maybe a book by that NY lawyer ?  :smile:

Quite tempted by the DVDs, they look quite cheap over here.  :smile:

Yup, Murder in False Face.......just can't put my hands on it atm...... I broke up that pile. /sigh/

I wonder if that`s a standalone, or from one of his other series ; I can`t find out much about it. Ah well. :smile:

See, that`s what putting me off moving my ` dining room table pile` , the thought of having to break up the collection to fit into other places somewhere and nor being able to recall which book has ended up in which bit of the house. Could I have too many books, perchance ? Nooooooo.  :giggle2:

Grr, I was struck down with Girl Flu a monthy ago ( curse this year`s ineffective flu jab !!  :banghead:  ) and still feel wrecked. I went out yesterday for acupuncture and a peek at a couple of charity shops, first time out in weeks.  :smile:

I got some cheer-up books : 

Call after Midnight - Tess Gerritsen   20p

The Long War - Terry Pratchett/ Stephen Baxter     £1.50     Must get Book 1 in the series now.

Wise Children - Angela Carter         75p

Elizabeth is Missing - Emma Healey        new hardback -  50p !

Daughter of the River - Hong Ying      75p

Zoo Time - Howard Jacobsen               £1.50

Thrush Green, Winter in Thrush Green, News from Thrush Green  - Miss Read       50p

Sorry that you were poorly with Girl flu. The pick-you-up with a book find was great, especially 50p for Elizabeth is Missing is wonderful!!  :smile: