Diane's Reading List 2015

Inver

Hi Inver

I read Elizabeth Pringle earlier this year and loved it too, great setting (I hope to be going there on holiday next year, fingers crossed) and a good story although the "legacy" wasn't difficult to guess.  Normally I don't buy books written by "celebrity" authors but I thought it was very well-written, if perhaps a little over-descriptive at times, and I felt the storyline with the sister didn't really go anywhere and felt a bit contrived, but overall these were minor quibbles, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle' by Kirsty Wark

I loved this book. Well done Kirsty Wark on your debut novel. Arran is a place I have always wanted to visit and the descriptions make it even more enticing. A gentle read, with likeable characters. Spread over two different eras and the connection of a house, 'Holmlea', which Elizabeth Pringle leaves to a stranger, Anna Morrison, in her will. A story of memories and heartbreak. Martha now has to find out why this house has been left to her mother, Anna. Each chapter is quite short, with Elizabeth writing hers like a diary, of her life and first love on her beloved island. Martha travels between Arran and Glasgow/Edinburgh, with her mother suffering from dementia she takes on the unleashing of the mystery of the legacy on her mothers behalf. She falls in love with the house and its secrets.

There was slight twist to the tale towards the end, but it was dealt with in a delicate manner and brought a tear to my eye.

So glad I bought this book to dip in to....recommended.

5/5 (recommend)

Oooh, I quite like the sound of this one, Diane!  It sounds right up my alley and also something my mom would like too, so I'm adding it to my wishlist.  Thanks!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

'Hannah's List' by Debbie Macomber

Part of the Blossom Street series. Another easy read.

Michael lost his wife a year ago to cancer. He has been given a letter by his brother-in-law that Hannah asked him to give to Michael a year after her deatch. There are three names on the, Leanne, Winter and Macy, all of whom Hannah knew. He makes contact with each of them in the hope that perhaps one of them could give him future happiness as Hannah hoped.

Each character has a story with the connection to Hannah, and over time Michael will choose one and it was probably the right one if a bit predictable. Enjoyable enough.

3/5

• 4 weeks later...

'The Snow Child' by Eowyn Ivey

I was fortunate to win a signed copy of this book. Eventually got around to reading this 'adult fairytale' I think I would call it. A lovely book to get lost in. The tale of Mabel and Jack, who were denied parenthood when they lost their only baby but are given the second chance in their latter years by 'Faina' the 'Snow Child'. She appears to Mabel one day and slowly gains the child trust and eventually Jack sees her too. They can't believe their happiness when the little girl is around and want her to stay...but when spring comes she disappears. Will she come back? Time will tell....

It is a happy/sad read and I wasn't sure how it would end....but they way it came to a conclusion was the only possible ending I think that it could have been.

Not a disappointing read. Very descriptive writing taking you deep in to the harsh winters of Alaska, but also brings it alive in a beautiful way with the magic snow can bring.  I liked how it was inspired by the Russian tale' Little Daughter of the Snow, which is included at the back of the book.

4/5

'Broken Skin' by Stuart MacBride

Finally finished.....(ok I admit I'm not actually finished it, but I have been reading this on and off for so long it has to be on the 2015 reading list...I will get around to finishing though, I promise)

3rd in the Logan McRae series. Another gruesome, grumpy policemen and full of bad weather read. Oh and some baddies to catch.What more would we expect from Stuart Macbride. But I took far too long to read it....maybe it just wasn't holding my interest.

3/5

• 2 weeks later...

'The Great Christmas Knit Off' by Alexandra Brown

With 'knit' in the title and fact that I am knitting quite a lot at the moment, it had to be read. Very easy read, if a bit slow to start and I did wonder then the 'knitting' was going to start. Small village, lots of friendly villagers, pub, bookshop, Hetties Haberdashery, which eventually lures our Sybs to its doors. She has always dreamed of having her own shop, as she loves anything to do with crochet, knitting and sewing.

Sybs ends up here after being heartbroken and jilted at the alter. She heads off to see her friend Cher, who has recently taken over the village pub in Tindledale, for a few days, but she is not there and ends up at the B&B run by Lawrence, with her dog, Basil. She becomes friends with Hettie and helps her put her shop in order and discovers it may have to close. The challenge is on. Eventually there is a mega knitting session organised to knit Christmas jumpers for the Japanese tourists who come every year for Christmas. This helps to pay off the debts for Hettie to stay put. Romance is in the air too, Ben the local doctor takes a shine to Sybs.

A nice, feel good read for the Christmas season. Nothing bad happens...

4/5