Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

What!!!! Not rate your books, not even a good or bad. What will I do when I see a book that you have read? :)

I'll shorten my reviews :P   BTW- How far along/ are you liking TGWStKoS?  (I can't bare to type out that title constantly.  It was as bad as when I read A Thousand Splendid Suns.  I hated having to spell out Splendid all the time lol)

I don't think I could possibly not rate a book, I'm too opinionated. I knoe what Karsa means about feeling the need to revise some ratings...but still. I don't think I could stop!

It's a lot easier than you think!  I even had a few reviews I wrote last year that now that I look back... might have been a bit too harsh or the books have stayed with me while others that were regarded highly, haven't.  I don't know, maybe I am weird lol

I've found it quite easy to ditch the scores - it's been quite liberating so far  :smile:

So liberating!  :giggle2: I don't feel the need to tie down the experience I have with a book to a simple number.  I just find a rating doesn't capture what I really thought of the book... :smile:

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I too stopped rating books a few years ago and it's very liberating. And often I don't even write a review :o

Have a great reading year Anna. There's lots of books on your TBR that I don't know, but one I do is The Martian- Andy Weir. I listened to it last year and really enjoyed it. I think quite a few people here have read and liked it too.

There's lots of books on your TBR that I don't know, but one I do is The Martian- Andy Weir. I listened to it last year and really enjoyed it. I think quite a few people here have read and liked it too.

I just finished that a couple of days ago - great book.

I too stopped rating books a few years ago and it's very liberating. And often I don't even write a review :o

*gasp* Not write a review! :o  :giggle2:

I just finished that a couple of days ago - great book.

I can't wait to get to it!  But my reading is so slow right now, motivation is low.

So, in the meantime.... see below :smile:

"One- off's" by Andy Weir:

The Egg

The Chef

Access

Annie’s Day

The Real Deal

Bored World

The Midtown Butcher

Antihypoxiant

Meeting Sarah

Link: http://www.galactanet.com/writing.html

Length: Short, short

From The Afterlife to mental illness to yes, even zombies, Andy Weir plays on the edge of edgy themes, bringing his short independent stories to an end with a crescendo.  Each are highly memorable on their own, sometimes difficult to do when you have a collection of short stories from the same author.  By the time the endings hit you, you get it and it’s an “oh yeaaaahhh” moment.  Nice, nice, all around.  I can’t wait for The Martian.  Also on the coolness factor: The Egg, Weir’s first listed short story, is available in 32 different languages.  There is also a “fanfic” for Ready Player One.

Highly recommended

Edited by Anna Begins

Short Stories, Hugh Howey

(Free via http://www.hughhowey.com/books/ )

Mouth Breathers

WHILE (u > i) i- -;

The Automated Ones

Nothing Goes to Waste

Dragging Anchor- A True Story

Length: Short, short

The recent ah-ha moment of finding free short stories on an author’s websites had me instantly thinking of Hugh Howey, one of my favorite “new” authors, in my opinion, a master of the short story and a previous independently published author.  Alas!  I found 4 little Howey gems to take me away today on http://www.hughhowey.com/books/

Mouth Breathers is about a boy from Earth going to Middle School on Mars.  I like how Howey often uses a “generic Mars" as a vehicle for an obscure or alternative world. 

I don’t mind gruesome descriptions, but I still had to grimace in the beginning of While You are greater than Myself, reduce Myself or WHILE (u > i) i- -;   However, the story plays with your head so well, I can’t even spoil it with a synopsis.  Brilliant and touching.

An abnormal couple fight against society norms in The Automated Ones.

Nothing Goes to Waste is the story of a Theryls racer.  Not for the faint of heart, which is rare for Howey.

Awww.  That’s it?

Dragging Anchor- A True Story

I only add this one at the end, as it is included in the free section but is different of Howey’s work as it is nonfiction and about an event in his life, as the Captain of a yacht, during a storm.  It moves quickly and has his voice, but was just a short story I was not in the mood for today.  It wasn’t disappointing at all, it totally fits with his work and is just as good, it was just simply me, today.

Edit: Molly Fyde stories listed on free page are part of a Howey series and are not stand alones.

Edited by Anna Begins

9a575b5d-ffad-40d1-b456-49364054c871.jpg

Title: Yesterday’s Gone, Season One (Episodes 1-6)

Author: Sean Platt and David Wright

Pages: 503

Genre: post-apocalyptic, HORROR, Science Fiction

I wasn’t sure how I’d feel after beginning a book that had a warning attached to it and a book that was all mixed up in something called “serialized Fiction” (“get off my lawn” *crabby old man’s voice*) or if I even wanted to read a book that was inspired by shows such as Lost (I don’t watch much TV and I particularly didn’t watch Lost, I like my horror or spookiness or whatever, in my books, thanks).

The only reason I got started on Yesterday’s Gone, is because it was on my long short list.  No, a 500 page book is not a short read, but the 85-90 page “episodes” it was made up of qualified, so I thought I’d try out one of those. Season One, containing 6 episodes, was free.  After 5 quick Chapters of Episode 1, I was into it.  By the end of Episode 1, I was ready for Episode 2 and it sort of went all the way through 6.

The “serial” is about 99% of the world disappearing on October 15th at 2:15 am.  The whole first “Episode” comprises of where a number of people were at the time they awakened- the ones that survived- and how they are figuring out what is going on, where loved ones have gone, is there help, where is help, what to do.   

The more I dug into what exactly “serialized fiction” was, I saw that I had unknowingly been already reading it, via Hugh Howey’s work.  The collection of writers (who are also big time readers) release their stories in installments and are usually independently published authors.   Don’t worry, there isn’t any shoddy work going on with these guys, they are no Keith Luethke (don’t ask).  There are 4 Seasons of Yesterday’s Gone, all 6 episodes long and they are all released. 

Authors Platt and Wright speak highly of their beloved format, history of reading and love of other authors.  Platt cites Dexter, The Walking Dead and The Soprano’s as the seeds for Yesterday’s Gone.  Both Platt and Wright are inspired by King, as well, and they have an interesting story about The Green Mile in the beginning.

Oh- and I would be really be doing you a disservice if I didn’t mention this book TERRIFIEFD me.  And I don’t think I’ve ever read a book to do that.

From Amazon:

On October 15 at 2:15 a.m. everyone on Earth vanished.

Well, almost everyone.

A scattered few woke alone in a world where there are no rules other than survival... at any cost.

A journalist wanders the wretched reality of an empty New York, in search for his wife and son.

A serial killer must hunt in a land where prey is now an endangered species.

A mother shields her young daughter from danger, as every breath fills her with terror.

A bullied teen is thrilled to find everyone gone. Until the knock on his door.

A fugitive survives a fiery plane crash. Will he be redeemed, or return to what he’s best at: the kill?

An eight year old boy sets out on a journey to find his missing family. What he finds will change him forever.

And there’s a few people who aren’t surprised that this happened at all. In fact, they’ve been dreaming about this day for years.

These survivors aren’t alone...
Someone or something is watching them.
And waiting...

Will humanity survive what it never saw coming?

The only certainty is that Yesterday’s Gone.

Wow, that was a great review Anna!  :smile::o + :hide: = very intrigued. I've never heard of Yesterday's Gone, but it sounds a terrifying dystopia. Watching The Road recently really freaked me out  :o , but in a sort of good freaked out.

P.S. I read the first episode, and what a ending!! :o  Now I will have to get the remaining episodes of the first series soon. :smile:

Edited by Marie H

Wow, that was a great review Anna!  :smile::o + :hide: = very intrigued. I've never heard of Yesterday's Gone, but it sounds a terrifying dystopia. Watching The Road recently really freaked me out  :o , but in a sort of good freaked out.

P.S. I read the first episode, and what a ending!! :o  Now I will have to get the remaining episodes of the first series soon. :smile:

;) I just finished Season Two, and it was just as good as One...  They fly by so fast!

yesterday-1.jpg

Title: Yesterday’s Gone: Season Two (Episodes 7-12)

Authors: Sean Platt and David Wright

Pages: 523

Genre: Post- Apocalyptic, Horror, science fiction

Season Two starts off with a brief who’s who, but it is NOT a stand- alone, do not read these out of order!  The plot thickens- where are the people who “Vanished” on October 15th?  It is now March. 

I wonder if Margaret Atwood is one of Platt and Wright’s admired authors, as certain parts seem to pay homage to The Year of the Flood’s The Gardner’s and a brief- near mention of life in A Handmaids Tale, just a glimmer of fan tribute. 

The downside to this series, is the amazing amount of characters, but that is also an upside, as Platt and Wright handle it so well.  It is easy to lose track of who is who in the first beginning sentences of a chapter, but headings and locations, times, etc. help and you can figure it out quickly enough.  It pays off, juggling so many characters can be rewarding to a reader (and, for a TV viewer).  And it gets easier as you read along.  Also a bonus- the backstory of a main character’s past includes owning a bookstore.

In any case, I am completely caught up in this world and now crave reading these chapters when I am not.  I binged these two "Seasons" all weekend and enjoyed them greatly. 

A Few bits about serialized fiction and what inspired Yesterday’s Gone:

From Sean Platt and David Wright-

“Serialized fiction isn’t really new, it’s actually a really old way of doing things.  It’s how Dickens released the majority of his work.”

“We LOVE the whole concept of ‘To be continued…’  Given that traditional publishers don’t even embrace that format with proven authors, there was no was in hell they’d touch a couple of unknown writers.  But that’s the thing about this revolution, the power has shifted and now writers like us can write the things we want to write.”

“I love TV.  But the TV I think about when I’m not watching, are the shows that leave me asking questions and wanting answers.”

From Amazon, Synopsis:

SEASON TWO picks up where SEASON ONE left off.

One man finds himself on a mysterious island that holds secrets, and perhaps even answers, to what happened on October 15.

A group finds itself taking refuge at The Sanctuary, a religious compound with an enigmatic leader called The Prophet.

A serial killer finds himself leading an unlikely group of survivors.

A young man searches to prove himself to his group, and avoid being bullied ever again.

A young child is called to perform another miracle at great personal cost.

;) I just finished Season Two, and it was just as good as One...  They fly by so fast!

Well I will get the first free 6 episodes, and see if I can cope with the plots -  :o  :hide: !

Hey Anna - take a break and read The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence. The book may not be for everyone but I am sure you will love it, as a matter of fact I would be surprised if you didn/t rate it 9/10. :)

Thanks for the heads up- I will check it out :smile:

Great reviews, Anna - Yesterday's Gone, and the whole idea of serialised fiction, sounds very intriguing  :smile:

Thanks- It really is a lot of fun!

Well I will get the first free 6 episodes, and see if I can cope with the plots -  :o  :hide: !

Ya, I mean, it's free!  And you just might get hooked ;) Do you like horror?

Ya, I mean, it's free! And you just might get hooked ;) Do you like horror?

I like my horror weak, in fact horror is far too scary for me, sometimes psychological thrillers can give me too much of the creeps. I'm a real scaredy cat.

Edited by Marie H

I like my horror weak, in fact horror is far too scary for me, sometimes psychological thrillers can give me too much of the creeps. I'm a real scaredy cat.

You might not like Yesterday's Gone then :hide:  :giggle2: I wouldn't call it a psychological thriller, but I'd classify it as violent and horror.  Maybe gory might be a better description.  I'm 40% through with Season Three, so review to follow soon.  They go pretty fast!

Edited by Anna Begins