Athena's Reading List 2015

Athena

Jeffrey Archer - Four Warned (QuickReads)

18885607.jpg

Genre: Thriller*

Age-range: Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 98

Date read: 02-01-2015

Synopsis (GoodReads):These four short stories from a master storyteller are packed full of twists and turns.

In Stuck on You, Jeremy finds out exactly the best way to steal the perfect ring for his fiancée.

Albert celebrates his 100th birthday, and is pleased to be sent The Queen's Birthday Telegram. He is, however, confused . . .

In Russia, businessman Richard plots the ideal way to murder his wife. He begins to have a clever idea when his hotel warns him: Don't Drink the Water from the taps.

And as Diana, a busy single mother, drives to have dinner with friends, she realises that a black van is following her. Soon terrified for her life, she does whatever it takes to stick to the warning given to drivers: Never Stop on the Motorway . . .

Every reader will have their favourite story – some will make you laugh, others will bring you to tears. And, as always, every one of them will keep you spellbound.

My thoughts: This was the last QuickReads book I owned, that I had yet to read. It was another read-a-thon, the first in 2015, so I read the last QR book on my TBR.

This book contains four short stories, each of which has been featured before in a different collection.

* = Not all of the stories are actually really thrillery, but two or three out of four were.

Don't Stop on the Motorway (from Twelve Red Herrings)

This was an enjoyable and suspenseful story, about a woman who is driving on the motorway and is chased by a man in a black van. I thought it was a nice short story. I liked the main character though of course in a short story there can't be a whole lot of detail (I would've liked a bit more detail). The plot twists were good though not always unexpected. Overall I enjoyed this story.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

The Queen's Birthday Telegram (from And Thereby Hangs a Tale)

This story is based on true incidents. It's about a man who celebrates his 100th birthday and gets a telegram from the Queen. It was an interesting short story and I liked the characters. I would've liked more detail, but the story was too short really go to into much depth (it was 10 pages).

Stuck on You (from And Thereby Hangs a Tale)

This story is based on true incidents. It's about a man, who's engaged, and who steals a ring for his fiancée. I thought the story was nice but the ending was a bit of a letdown. It wasn't unexpected for me. The middle of the story was very interesting though, the scenes where he is in the jewellers'.

Rating: (****) (7/10)

Don't Drink the Water (from Cat O' Nine Tales)

This was a great story, about a man who wants to kill his wife. There were quite a few twists that were pretty good, I particularly liked the one at the end. The first scene, which is one inmate talking with another inmate, didn't seem to make much sense to me and I was expecting the story to refer to this at the end, but that never happened. I liked the characters in this story and I quite enjoyed reading it.

Overall I quite enjoyed reading these four stories. They were entertaining and suspenseful. They were four very different short stories. I liked the writing style of the book. I certainly wouldn't mind reading something else by the author. It seems he's written quite a few novels and some short story collections (from where these stories came).

Overall Rating: (****) (8/10)

I like all your reviews, Gaia.  Well done! :)

I am intrigued by the Archer....I've read several of his books and at least one of his short story collections.  I really enjoy his writing.  I'll be looking for this one.  At least on my wish list so I don't forget it.  :D

EDIT:  Just found a copy on Amazon Marketplace for .01 USD  (one penny) plus shipping.  Not too shabby!  Thanks. :D

Edited by pontalba

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Mikes, Karen Holmes - How to Be an Alien (illustrations by Nicolas Bentley)

This book was okay. I recognised some parts, and found them funny or interesting. Other parts I didn't really relate to. I'm not English nor do I live in the UK, so maybe this makes sense. I liked the illustrations in the book. Overall I'd say the book, this edition at least, was allright but not entirely to my tastes. There are some funny bits in it, though, and perhaps English people can relate to it more.

Rating: (***) (5/10)

While reading this review, I thought the title and author sounded familiar, so I looked up my past lists and found that I read this in 2009. I also rated it 5/10.  :giggle2:  I can't remember a single thing about it now!

I like all your reviews, Gaia.  Well done! :)

I am intrigued by the Archer....I've read several of his books and at least one of his short story collections.  I really enjoy his writing.  I'll be looking for this one.  At least on my wish list so I don't forget it.  :D

EDIT:  Just found a copy on Amazon Marketplace for .01 USD  (one penny) plus shipping.  Not too shabby!  Thanks. :D

That's exciting! I hope you enjoy it :).

While reading this review, I thought the title and author sounded familiar, so I looked up my past lists and found that I read this in 2009. I also rated it 5/10.  :giggle2:  I can't remember a single thing about it now!

Nice to hear we agree! I don't remember much of it either :giggle2:.

I'll be posting a review soon.

Lucy Hawking and Stephen Hawking - George 1: George's Secret Key to the Universe

4755163.jpg

Note: Despite sharing the ISBN on GoodReads, the cover of the library copy looks actually slightly different to the cover pictured above.

Genre: Science-Fiction, Information

Age-range: Children

Format: Hardback

Pages: 297

Date read: 04-01-2015 <-> 06-01-2015

Synopsis (GoodReads):Take a rollercoaster ride through the vastness of space and, in the midst of an exciting adventure, discover the mysteries of physics, science and the universe with George, his new friends next door - the scientist Eric and his daughter, Annie - and a super-intelligent computer called Cosmos, which can take them to the edge of a black hole and back again. Or can it? And who else would like to get their hands on Cosmos? A funny and hugely informative romp through space, time and the universe.

My thoughts: I saw this book at the library and it seemed interesting to me. I hadn't heard of it before I started to read it.

This book was quite nice. It was educational, providing a lot of information for children about the universe, planets, stars etc. The book contains beautiful drawn illustrations of the characters and what happens in the story, and it also contains prints of photographs, in colour, that were taken by telescopes and such, of planets and other interesting things.

I quite liked the writing style of the book and it reads easily. I liked the characters, they were pretty interesting. The book contains several good plot twists. It's a children's book but it's also nice for adults (I think most good children's books are nice also for adults, don't you think?).

Towards the end of reading it I was feeling quite tired so I couldn't take all the scientific information in anymore, I started to slightly skim these bits. As an adult, I've read most of the information before, in various other books (though I don't remember all the numbers exactly), though it is nice to have it all here. For a child who's interested in science and space, and who doesn't know a lot about it, there's a lot of information to be found in this book.

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book. The story is good and it also contains a lot of nice information. I'm glad I picked the book up at the library. According to GoodReads, there are two other books in this series, though let me assure you that the book has an ending so if I hadn't checked on GoodReads I wouldn't have known it was part of a series. I didn't see the other books at the library and it's doubtful they have them, considering they don't have that many English books and I don't know if these books are available in Dutch, but if I were to see them I'd borrow them and read them.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 3: Everything's Amazing (Sort of)

13344086.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Pages: 409

Date read: 07-01-2015

Synopsis (GoodReads):Back to school, but it's not all bad. We're entering Rooster in a dog show, the School Disco and my birthday are coming up so this term's going to be amazing! Mostly because Delia's not invited to any of these. There's only one small problem with my birthday, Granny Mavis says she's going to cook ...uh oh!

My thoughts: I found this book at the library and thought it would be good for the read-a-thon. I didn't get around to reading it during the read-a-thon so I read it after.

This author has won several awards (according to this book and book four in the series (Genius Ideas (Mostly), which I've also borrowed from the library): the Roald Dahl Funny Prize 2011, the Waterstones Children's Book Prize 2012 Best Fiction for 5-12s, Best Book for Younger Readers Red House Children's Book Award 2012.

The book is indeed very funny. I love the layout of the text and illustrations, and the illustrations are quite pretty and fun. I liked the characters of the book. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the book but I really enjoyed reading it. It's quite funny, what goes on in Tom's life, and the illustrations are an integral part of the story.

I borrowed the book from the library without knowing much about it, but I really enjoyed it! I seem to be reading a lot of children's books lately, I do hope to read some more adult books (and probably Young-Adult too) once I've read my library loans.

Overall the book surprised me in a good way. I didn't know it was going to be that funny. I really enjoyed reading it and I loved the layout and illustrations. Sometimes words are an illustration, as in they're written differently to emphasise things. I look forward to reading book four. It looks like the library has a few other books in the series too, though some are loaned out (both in Dutch and in English, though obviously I'd prefer to read the original English, like this one).

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 4: Genius Ideas (Mostly)

15943407.jpg

Pages: 314

Date read: 08-01-2015

Synopsis (GoodReads):Seeing Delia without her sunglasses on is a BIG shock, but that's nothing compared with the surprise Dad has in store for me with his new found fitness regime. He says he's going to compete at Sport's Day. Shame! Meanwhile Derek, Norman and I keep practicing in DOGZOMBIES so we're really ready for the school Talent Show.

My thoughts: I borrowed this book from the library, along with book 3 in the series. I read book 3 yesterday and really liked it, so today I read book 4.

This book is similar in style as book 3, which I read yesterday. I found the book less surprising in that sense, because I knew better what to expect. This book was pretty enjoyable, just like book 3, and I'd really like to read the other books in the series if my library has them. The illustrations were beautiful again and the story is funny.

I'm feeling tired so this review isn't that long. I have similar thoughts as on book 3, really.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book, it's a fun read with great illustrations.

Paul Magrs - Exchange

1089294.jpg

Age-range: Young-Adult

Pages: 295

Date read: 08-01-2015 <-> 09-01-2015

Synopsis (GoodReads):Following the death of his parents, 16-year-old Simon moves into his grandparents' claustrophobic bungalow, which quickly becomes a refuge from his bullying peers. United by their voracious appetite for books, Simon and his grandmother stumble across the Great Big Book Exchange — a bookshop with a difference. There they meet impulsive, gothic Kelly and her boss, Terrance — and the friendships forged in the Great Big Book Exchange result in startling and unsettling consequences for all of them.

My thoughts: I saw this book at the library and picked it up because of the spine and cover. Then I read the synopsis and it was about books and a book shop, so I wanted to read it.

This book was pretty good. I quite liked the characters and all the talk of books. Not many specific books are mentioned, but reading and books are big themes in the story. The characters are all pretty interesting and the book has quite a few unexpected plot twists.

The writing style didn't read as easily as some other Young-Adult books do, but I liked it.

Overall I quite enjoyed reading this book. If the synopsis appeals at all, I'd certainly recommend the book. I own two books by the author, they are on my TBR. They are I believe science-fiction books so quite different from this one, but I look forward to reading them.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Nice review of Exchange, Athena :smile: . That one is on my wish list at the library now, and there are more Paul Magrs novels has a  there too, so I will try to have a browse of  them, next time I'm at the library.

Note: Post will be split up as I can't quote too many posts at once. Also, emoticons removed..

This sounds pretty awesome! I love the cover.

Thanks, me too :)!

Ooh .. you are up and running already with reviews and everything Happy reading in 2015 Gaia xx

Thanks, Kay :).

Great review of 'Exchange' Athena, Ii am going to add it to my wishlist

I hope you enjoy it if / when you read it :)!

Looks like you kept on with the read a thon

Yeah that's kind of what it seems like :giggle2:. I don't know, I guess I just feel in the mood to read some shorter books. Also, most of them are library loans so I want to read them before they're due back. I do hope to read some longer adult books too this year!

Exchange looks really interesting, I'm definitely going to have a look at that author

I hope you like what you find :). I have two books by the author on my TBR, Enter Wildthyme and Wildthyme Beyond! but I haven't read them yet. I don't know much about the author to be honest.

I'd like a little more info on how making friends in a bookshop can become unsettling and startling, so curiosity is putting it on my wishlish!

I hope you enjoy it if / when you read it :)!

I can't believe I haven't posted in your blog yet, Gaia. I'm sorry. What a lovely blog it is too - so detailed. I love the book photos.

Happy reading in 2015.

Thank you, Janet :)!

(Note: Emoticons removed)

Nice review of Exchange, Athena . That one is on my wish list at the library now, and there are more Paul Magrs novels has a there too, so I will try to have a browse of them, next time I'm at the library.

I hope you'll enjoy them :)!

Athena - May I also use your rating system for my books read?

Of course :)!

Sounds like you`ve had some good reads already this year.

Yes, I did :D!

I hope you enjoy a wonderful year of reading.

Thanks, Chrissy :)!

P.S. I will now be posting my review and the new books I bought (from the charity shop).

Brandon Sanderson - Alcatraz 1: Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians

17245762.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Age-range: Young-Adult

Pages: 226

Date read: 09-01-2015 <-> 10-01-2015

Synopsis (GoodReads): hero with an incredible talent...for breaking things. A life-or-death mission...to rescue a bag of sand. A fearsome threat from a powerful secret network...the evil Librarians.

Alcatraz Smedry doesn't seem destined for anything but disaster. On his 13th birthday he receives a bag of sand, which is quickly stolen by the cult of evil Librarians plotting to take over the world. The sand will give the Librarians the edge they need to achieve world domination. Alcatraz must stop them!...by infiltrating the local library, armed with nothing but eyeglasses and a talent for klutziness.

My thoughts: I saw this book at the library, as well as book 4 in the series (Alcatraz and the Shattered Lens) and because I've enjoyed other books by Brandon Sanderson, I decided to borrow them and give them a go.

This is a really great story. I really liked the characters, there's plenty of humour and the world the author has created is very, well, creative. There are plenty of good plot twists that I didn't see coming and the story is very suspenseful, I wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen next.

One thing I really liked about this book is the fourth wall breaking stuff. The author of the book, Alcatraz, talks to the reader and this was very well done. I really enjoyed this. It's quite unique, you don't see that in a lot of books (not that I'd want it in all my books) and I found it very entertaining.

I would love to read the other books in the series. I could only find book 4 (and 1) at the library, but maybe they also have the other books (that would make sense), though they could be loaned out.

The book also mentions books in the story, though obviously slightly twisted as "Evil Librarians"..

Overall I quite enjoyed this book. It's a great beginning to a new series, though it does have an ending. Not all questions are answered but a lot of them are. I'm going to try and read book 4, though I don't know if that's doable or not if I haven't read books 2 and 3. I'd definitely love to read all of them, some time.

I bought some books at the charity shop Terre des Hommes (I also bought a few DVDs). They gave me a discount too.

Stephen King - Night Shift

Jeffrey Archer - Twelve Red Herrings (one of the short stories from Four Warned came from this collection)

Chantal van Gastel - Zwaar Verliefd!

Jil Karoly - Jil Karoly Omnibus: Seks Of Solo, Een Man Voor één Nacht!, Man Man! (Happy oder End, Ein Mann für eine Nacht, Mannoman)

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - De Prehistorie van de Nieuwe Tijd 1: Het Volk Van De Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past 1: People of the Wolf)

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - De Prehistorie van de Nieuwe Tijd 2: Het Volk Van Het Vuur (North America's Forgotten Past 2: People of the Fire)

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - De Prehistorie van de Nieuwe Tijd 3: Het Volk Van De Aarde (North America's Forgotten Past 3: People of the Earth)

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - De Prehistorie van de Nieuwe Tijd 4: Het Volk van de Rivier (North America's Forgotten Past 4: People of the River)

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - De Prehistorie van de Nieuwe Tijd 5: Het Volk Van De Zee (North America's Forgotten Past 5: People of the Sea)

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - De Prehistorie van de Nieuwe Tijd 6: Het Volk Van De Meren (North America's Forgotten Past 6: People of the Lakes)

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - De Prehistorie van de Nieuwe Tijd 7: Het Volk Van Het Weerlicht (North America's Forgotten Past 7: People of the Lightning)

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - De Prehistorie van de Nieuwe Tijd 8: Het Volk Van De Stilte (North America's Forgotten Past 8: People of the Silence)

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - De Prehistorie van de Nieuwe Tijd 9: Het Volk Van De Nevel (North America's Forgotten Past 9: People of the Mist)

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - De Prehistorie van de Nieuwe Tijd 10: Het Volk Van De Maskers (North America's Forgotten Past 10: People of the Masks)

And a photo:

NewBooksTerredesHommes10-01-2015.jpg

I also borrowed some new books from the library.

All in all, I'm doing okay not buying any books for a lot of money.. which is good. Though of course I am adding to the TBR. And it's only the 12th of January today. But maybe going to the library and the charity shop regularly will help me not buy tons of books online which would cost more.

I've been reading a lot of shorter children's and Young-Adult books lately (I borrowed some more from the library..), and not many long and adult books. I do hope to rectify this in the future as there are a lot of adult and / or longer books I want to get to too. But at the moment I'm enjoying what I'm reading. I'm not sure what that means for the next read-a-thon though :P.

Oh well, I'm enjoying my reading for now, so heh hopefully that's okay :).