Athena's Reading List 2015

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to plan on reading another Jodi Picoult early this year, I recommend Nineteen Minutes especially because I know you enjoyed The Pact

I love looking at the pictures of your shelves. It's interesting to look at the colors of the books. Like the fantasy ones are dark or red, but then there is the chicklit shelves that are all yellow, white, and other bright pastel colors.  :smile:

The graphs are BEAUTIFUL. I love stats and graphs, so your book log is always so pretty :lol:

Have a fantastic reading year!!  :D  :readingtwo:

Note: Some emoticons were removed.

Those charts are gorgeous, and some of the best and most detailed I've ever seen! 

Well done! 

Love the pictures of your collections!

Thanks Kate :D! I do like doing things like this :).

If you're going to plan on reading another Jodi Picoult early this year, I recommend Nineteen Minutes especially because I know you enjoyed The Pact

I love looking at the pictures of your shelves. It's interesting to look at the colors of the books. Like the fantasy ones are dark or red, but then there is the chicklit shelves that are all yellow, white, and other bright pastel colors. 

The graphs are BEAUTIFUL. I love stats and graphs, so your book log is always so pretty

Have a fantastic reading year!!

I will keep this in mind, thanks :)! I don't know yet which one I plan on reading next. Thank you for your comments on my shelves and graphs, too :)! I love statistics and graphs too, I had a lot of fun making them :). Thank you!

Happy, happy reading year, Gaia! 

This is a great start to your new thread, just beautiful!

Thanks Kate :D!! 

:wub:

Thank you :friends0:!

WHat great pics ! And is that a

TOtoro in the background ?

Thanks! Yes, it is :D. It's my boyfriend's, we both really like it.

Hope you have a good reading year in 2015.

Thanks, Claire :)!

Oh wow, so many books and pictures and statistics! I love it! :D

I love the plush microbes that you have (on your fantasy bookshelves) as well.

I hope you have a happy reading year in 2015, Gaia. :smile:

Thank you :D!!

I love the plush microbes! I've got them on various shelves (though most are in the fantasy book cases as I've got the most of that), they are so cute.

I spy Waddles the Penguin - I have him too! :)

Happy reading!

Thanks Noll! I had no idea his name was Waddles, that's a nice name!

I love all  your bookie shelve piccies....plenty reading material to choose from :smile:

Thanks Diane :)!

Below will follow the first review of the year.

Charles Yu - How to Life Safely in a Science Fictional Universe

9615321.jpg

Genre: Science-fiction

Age-range: Adult

Format: Hardback

Pages: 233

Date read: 30-12-2014 <-> 01-01-2015

Synopsis (me):An engineer who repairs time travel machines gets stuck in a time loop.

My thoughts: I found this book at the library and its cover and title intruiged me.

This book was quite different from most science-fiction books. For starters, it's quite mindboggling, a lot of the concepts and ideas are certainly things that make you think. The book has quite some funny moments in it, which I enjoyed. There were quite a few plot twists in the book, and also some fourth wall breaking stuff (which was really well done). I really enjoyed reading about the world and how things worked there.

The only thing I liked less, was that some of the sentences in the book were too long in my opinion. They kept on going, comma after comma. I felt it would've been better if there had been some more punctuation and smaller sentences.

Other than that, I really enjoyed reading the book. It's very funny. It doesn't read as quickly as perhaps a very easy book, because of the time travel concepts that you need to wrap your head around. I really enjoyed the book though and wished I had my own copy. I do think it's certainly a book to re-read.

Throughout the book you learn more about the character's back story and past. I thought these scenes were quite interesting to read. While it is a science-fiction novel with a lot of interesting concepts and passages, I also enjoyed reading these passages that were perhaps not as mindboggling, if that makes sense?

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book. It was funny and there were some really interesting sentences, scenes and concepts. I also liked the illustrations that were in the book from time to time. I had some issues with the writing style in certain scenes, mainly because I felt some of the sentences were a bit long. I do recommend this if you like a sort of mindboggling time travel science fictiony type read.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)