Claire's Book List 2015

chesilbeach

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thanks for warning me! (Never mind that I made mine before you... :giggle:). I can't believe I was so silly that I didn't notice until afterwards. I'm going to use the excuse that I was just too excited about the book jar to think about those little details.

attachicon.gifIMG_0528.JPG

:(

No you didn't..... :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Chesilbeach, it seems like we all have now our MT copies, and I think we're ready to start reading the first one in the series, so whenever you're ready...? Where are you with your reading at the moment :smile2: And maybe you could set up the thread on the subject in the Group Reads section, if you wish? 

Yep, I'll do just that, if I can find 'em! But I'll still redo the jar one day. :)

You could tip them out into a bowl, select one and then stick the rest back in. Thats what I do with mine to make sure it gets mixed up well with each pick.

Well, my first £1 coin has gone in the tin, as I've finished The Battle of Pollocks Crossing, and a fine book it was too … worth every single penny! :D

So the jar has once again decided my destiny, and this time has given me The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton.  I've been putting this off for a while, so probably a good thing to come out of the jar now and means I'll actually read it at last. :lol:

:blush: Um, yes, fiction and 322 pages.  Not short, but not too long (… unless I end up hating it! :lol:).

To be fair, I only have a few non-fiction books in there, and I don't think I have many doorstops waiting to be read either … except, while I was typing that, I've just remembered some of the English Counties books aren't exactly short! :D

Ah I see .. your jar has nothing but good options :D That's because you've been very good and not let your TBR become overwhelming. I'm being punished for being such a lazy reader  :blush2: 

I loved The Luminaries but haven't read anything else of Eleanor Catton's .. hope you enjoy it Claire :) 

The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):
July 1940. Eleven-year-old Lydia walks through a village in rural Suffolk on a hot day. The shops and houses are empty, windows boarded up and sandbags green with mildew, the village seemingly deserted. She strikes off down a country lane through the salt marshes to a large Edwardian house - the house she grew up in. Lydia finds it empty too, the windows covered in black-out blinds. Her family has gone.
Late that night he comes, a soldier, gun in hand and heralding a full-blown German invasion. There are, he explains to her, certain rules she must now abide by. He won't hurt Lydia, but she cannot leave the house.

Review:
I've been sitting on this review for a few days, and I still don't know what to write! I've actually taken a bit out of the Amazon synopsis as I don't want to give anything away. There's no real introduction at the beginning, as you are dropped straight into Lydia's story. Even that isn't all it seems initially, and gradually the story reveals itself. The nightmarish journey home for Lydia is almost like a ghost story, and then when the soldier arrives, you are thrown into a captivating war story.

I don't read a lot of war books, but this one was just so compelling, I read it in two days. Every time I had to put the book down, it felt like a loss. Each little revelation makes you rethink what you'd previously decided about the two characters, and I loved that it is not a simple war story of allies and enemies, but about two ordinary people who have been torn apart by the effects of war.  
It takes place over only five days, yet because there are flashbacks from the memories of the two characters, it feels quite expansive at times, and other times it almost feels like the house has become their prison, and you get an oppressive feeling of being confined.

After such a considered pace to the story, the final day is a heart stopping climax, with a couple of twists and turns in it, but very emotional. Fantastic book.

The Dynamite Room by Jason Hewitt

After such a considered pace to the story, the final day is a heart stopping climax, with a couple of twists and turns in it, but very emotional. Fantastic book.

Oooh, I want this book now too!!  :hissyfit:  :exc: Great review chesilbeach  :smile:

After both of us feeling under the weather over Christmas, finally got chance to meet up with Kay and Alan, and we were able to swap Christmas presents.  I was a very lucky girl, and Kay gave me Film Freak by Christopher Fowler and Dimanche by Irène Némirovsky (a beautiful Persephone book), plus some lovely chocolate, and a framed print of Alan's inspired by the Kate Bush concert.  It's so beautiful, and a brilliant reminder of a fantastic performance. :wub:  I'm very, very lucky!

Kay also kindly lent me:

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Invitation to the Waltz by Rosamund Lehmann

Mystery In White by J. Jefferson Farjeon

Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

I guess my Jar of Destiny will be getting some additional items added tomorrow! :lol:

Wow, it sounds fantastic. I just went on the Kindle store to download a sample, but it's not available in the States yet. :( It won't be released until St. Patty's Day, March 17.

I was just going to post that :weeping:

It'll be worth the wait!

I've just been looking at the Jason Hewitt's website, and he talks about the music used within the book, and the music listened to as inspiration when writing.  He's put together a playlist on YouTube which looks very interesting. I'm going to be investigating it further this afternoon.

It'll be worth the wait!

I've just been looking at the Jason Hewitt's website, and he talks about the music used within the book, and the music listened to as inspiration when writing.  He's put together a playlist on YouTube which looks very interesting. I'm going to be investigating it further this afternoon.

Yes .. I've been meaning to do that. There was an interesting piece at the back of the book about it but much better idea to actually listen to the music. Thanks for the link :)

So glad you enjoyed it Claire xx Great review! Did you read the extract from his next book? .. I did and want to get it now (well .. when it's out) but then I would've wanted to get it anyway after such a great read :)