Claire's Book List 2015

chesilbeach

Perfect by Rachel Joyce

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):
In 1972, two seconds were added to time. It was in order to balance clock time with the movement of the earth. Byron Hemming knows this because James Lowe has told him and James is the cleverest boy at school. But how can time change? The steady movement of hands around a clock is as certain as their golden futures.

Then Byron's mother, late for the school run, makes a devastating mistake. Byron's perfect world is shattered. Were those two extra seconds to blame? Can what follows ever be set right?

Review:
I thought Joyce's first book, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry was ok, but not a special story for me, so I tried to read this with an open mind, but I just don't connect with her writing. The narrative flips between the historic story and the modern day on alternate chapters, which I struggled with in this book, as it did stop the story really flowing for me. There's a big reveal towards the end of the book, but I'd picked up on this very early in the book, so that came as no surprise for me. There's nothing wrong with the writing, there's nothing wrong with the story, and it actually rolls along quite well, never feeling like a chore to read, but it just didn't touch me and I never took the characters to my heart.

I think, at the end of the day, me and Rachel Joyce aren't going to get along, and I don't think I'll be reading any more of her books. Her books are best sellers, and I know lots of people enjoyed Harold Fry, so I'm sure she won't lose any sleep over me, but I think it'll be very unlikely for us to meet on my bookshelves again.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get time you may want to read "Wish You Well" by David Baldacci. I think you would enjoy it.

Amazon.com Review
David Baldacci has made a name for himself crafting big, burly legal thrillers with larger-than-life plots. However, Wish You Well, set in his native Virginia, is a tale of hope and wonder and "something of a miracle" just itching to happen. This shift from contentious urbanites to homespun hill families may come as a surprise to some of Baldacci's fans--but they can rest assured: the author's sense of pacing and exuberant prose have made the leap as well.

The year is 1940. After a car accident kills 12-year-old Lou's and 7-year-old Oz's father and leaves their mother Amanda in a catatonic trance, the children find themselves sent from New York City to their great-grandmother Louisa's farm in Virginia. Louisa's hardscrabble existence comes as a profound shock to precocious Lou and her shy brother. Still struggling to absorb their abandonment, they enter gamely into a life that tests them at every turn--and offers unimaginable rewards. For Lou, who dreams of following in her father's literary footsteps, the misty, craggy Appalachians and the equally rugged individuals who make the mountains their home quickly become invested with an almost mythic significance:

They took metal cups from nails on the wall and dipped them in the water, and then sat outside and drank. Louisa picked up the green leaves of a mountain spurge growing next to the springhouse, which revealed beautiful purple blossoms completely hidden underneath. "One of God's little secrets," she explained. Lou sat there, cup cradled between her dimpled knees, watching and listening to her great-grandmother in the pleasant shade...

Baldacci switches deftly between lovingly detailed character description (an area in which his debt to Laura Ingalls Wilder and Harper Lee seems evident) and patient development of the novel's central plot. If that plot is a trifle transparent--no one will be surprised by Amanda's miraculous recovery or by the children's eventual battle with the nefarious forces of industry in an attempt to save their great-grandmother's farm--neither reader nor character is the worse for it. After all, nostalgia is about remembering things one already knows.

Edited by muggle not

I've decided to redo my TBR list on the first page of my thread so it now includes all the books I actually have to read, including all the books from the various challenges and author lists I have underway, but to categorise them to make it easier to see exactly what my choices are when I pick my next book to read.  Nice bit of book organisation for a Saturday morning! :D

Re: Long Lankin. Hehe, I can imagine how perplexed you probably were when your OH gave this to you as a Christmas present :D You were very brave to decide to tackle it, and so early on, too! I'm glad you thought it was a very good story and therefore it wasn't a big miss. The title's going on my wishlist now :) 

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Perfect :(  (And I can't believe you've already read it, we only talked about it a few days ago, it seems :D) I guess it's just like you said, you and Rachel Joyce just don't mesh, and it's one of those things that can't be helped :shrug: 

I've decided to redo my TBR list on the first page of my thread so it now includes all the books I actually have to read, including all the books from the various challenges and author lists I have underway, but to categorise them to make it easier to see exactly what my choices are when I pick my next book to read.  Nice bit of book organisation for a Saturday morning! :D

That's actually a really good idea, categorizing your TBR based on which challenges the books are a part of! That's so convenient! Have fun :D 

Well, I've jumped on the bandwagon!  

Behold, the Jar of Destiny:

post-4870-0-40499500-1421506962_thumb.jpg

As an added bonus, I've decided to put £1 in the tin every time I read a book from the jar.  This way, as my TBR gets smaller, a little pot of book money will build up, so every now and again, I can have a splurge at the bookshop! :D

attachicon.gifTheJarOfDestiny.jpg

As an added bonus, I've decided to put £1 in the tin every time I read a book from the jar.  This way, as my TBR gets smaller, a little pot of book money will build up, so every now and again, I can have a splurge at the bookshop! :D

I wonder if I can persuade Alan to give me a £1 for every book I read from my jar :D Great idea!

Hope the Jar of Destiny is kind to you Claire :hug: 

I like that idea, the TBR still goes down but the book buying fund slowly rises.

Incredible idea Claire! I have an empty pickle onion jar from Christmas. I too must have a Jar Of Destiny! 

Thanks everyone!  I've used this idea before, although usually it's when I've got something I'm not particularly keen on doing or requires a bit of effort, and it just adds a little incentive so that if I do it, when I get to the end of the process, I've got a bit of extra cash to treat myself to something.  I've done it before, for example, where I've tried to save money by taking a packed lunch to work, so every day I've done it, I've put £1 in a jar.  The packed lunch is much cheaper than the bought lunch, usually healthier, so even putting the extra £1 in the jar, I'm still much better off.  Then at the end of the month, I've got £20 or so to spend … usually on books! :D

Your jar looks lovely! And what a great idea of putting £1 away every time you read a book from the jar :). I hope you read some great books this way :).

I wonder if I can persuade Alan to give me a £1 for every book I read from my jar :D Great idea!

Haha :D!

I too like the idea of putting a $1 in for every book read. :)

I'm starting to think I need to make a TBR jar now...

Thanks, muggle not, that does look interesting - I'll bear it in mind :)

Guaranteed :).......... it will make you laugh, make you cry, make you sad, and make you happy. It will take you through all the emotions.

David Baldacci even named his Foundation on illiteracy in America the Wish You Well Foundation.

http://davidbaldacci.com/philanthropy/listing/

Edited by muggle not

Finished the brilliant The Dynamite Room this evening.  I'll put some more detailed thoughts down later, but a very good book indeed.

The Jar of Destiny has now had it first outing … and the first pick was ...

The Battle of Pollocks Crossing by J. L Carr  :doowapstart: 

i'm so pleased! :smile2:  I'd been hoping to read another book by Carr soon, so I was dead chuffed to pull this one out of the jar first time around. :D 

Beautiful jar, Claire! And like everyone else has said, what a brilliant idea to put aside 1 pound for each book you read. :) I think I'm gonna have to redo my jar at some point...I want pretty-coloured paper like you and Kay! And bigger slips of paper, because I realised too late that my jar's opening is too small for my hand  :doh:. I had a lot of trouble trying to get a piece of paper out!  :giggle2:

Beautiful jar, Claire! And like everyone else has said, what a brilliant idea to put aside 1 pound for each book you read. :) I think I'm gonna have to redo my jar at some point...I want pretty-coloured paper like you and Kay! And bigger slips of paper, because I realised too late that my jar's opening is too small for my hand  :doh:. I had a lot of trouble trying to get a piece of paper out!  :giggle2:

:lol: I did test my jar before putting the paper in, as I was worried about exactly that thing happening to me! :D

Well thanks for warning me! (Never mind that I made mine before you... :giggle:). I can't believe I was so silly that I didn't notice until afterwards. I'm going to use the excuse that I was just too excited about the book jar to think about those little details.

post-3835-0-45164400-1421731151_thumb.jpg

:(

Well thanks for warning me! (Never mind that I made mine before you... :giggle:). I can't believe I was so silly that I didn't notice until afterwards. I'm going to use the excuse that I was just too excited about the book jar to think about those little details.

attachicon.gifIMG_0528.JPG

Hahahahahaha awwwwwwww I'm sorry but that looks so funny :lol: What a tragic thing to happen haha.

attachicon.gifIMG_0528.JPG

You could use a pair of tweezers to get the paper out :)