Claire's Book List 2015

chesilbeach

I have the first cover you posted, frankie.  It's actually Kay's book, but she kindly lent it to me.  I wasn't the biggest fan of Harold Fry, I though it was okay, but predictable, but I'm interested to see how I fare with Perfect.  I'll bump it up the TBR list, just for you! :lol:

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget: have you read anything by Jonathan Tropper before? I know some members on here have... But I can't remember who! I see you have One Last Thing Before I Go on your TBR. I've not read it yet, but I've read two other books by him and he always makes me laugh :)

My library actually has a few of his books I noticed last month, are there any you would particularly recommend? I have two on my wishlist I believe, possibly I put them there after you recommended them?

Perfect I haven't read yet, my parents own a copy in Dutch and they liked it (they haven't read any other books by the author).

Edited by Athena

I forget: have you read anything by Jonathan Tropper before? I know some members on here have... But I can't remember who! I see you have One Last Thing Before I Go on your TBR. I've not read it yet, but I've read two other books by him and he always makes me laugh :)

Sorry, I forgot to answer this bit earlier! :doh:

I have read one other book by him, How To Talk To A Widower, and remember really enjoying it, however, I did start One Last Thing Before I Go a few months ago but I only got about 60 pages in before I put it aside. I might have been in the wrong mood for it, but I haven't felt inclined to pick it up again yet, but I haven't ruled it out yet.

I really enjoyed Harold Fry - but it was possibly enhanced because I listened to an audio book whilst walking so the theme fitted with walking.  Also it was narrated by Jim Broadbent, whom I could listen to for hours!  

I want to read the Queenie Hennessy book when it's out in paperback - and I also want to read Perfect. 

Have you any more thoughts about another group read*?

Happy reading in 2015.  No doubt by December I will be in awe of your huge total again.   :)

*ETA: Actually this probably isn't the right thread to discuss it in really, is it?  I think Alex was keen to do another, and other people might like to join in too.  

Edited by Janet

Have you any more thoughts about another group read*?

*ETA: Actually this probably isn't the right thread to discuss it in really, is it?  I think Alex was keen to do another, and other people might like to join in too.

I've come up with some options, I'll post over in the challenge thread :)

Happy reading in 2015.  No doubt by December I will be in awe of your huge total again.   :)

Thanks, Janet. :)

I have the first cover you posted, frankie.  It's actually Kay's book, but she kindly lent it to me.  I wasn't the biggest fan of Harold Fry, I though it was okay, but predictable, but I'm interested to see how I fare with Perfect.  I'll bump it up the TBR list, just for you! :lol:

Oh dear... :D Well I'm sure it's better! At least I hope so :blush: It's odd, though, to hear a few of you guys saying you didn't enjoy the Harold Fry novel, because it's always seemed a huge favorite here on the forum. :shrug: Well you can't please them all! Cups of tea and to each their own and such. 

I started the book on Friday and it seemed good but it didn't stuck :blush: I had to go with something else in the end. I'm sure it's just that I'm not in the mood. So... If you already bumped it up for me... Feel free to put a few books on top of it if you like :blush::D 

My library actually has a few of his books I noticed last month, are there any you would particularly recommend? I have two on my wishlist I believe, possibly I put them there after you recommended them?

I've read How to Talk to a Widower and This Is Where I Leave You and I enjoyed both of them very much :yes: The latter's my favorite, though.

I have read one other book by him, How To Talk To A Widower, and remember really enjoying it, however, I did start One Last Thing Before I Go a few months ago but I only got about 60 pages in before I put it aside. I might have been in the wrong mood for it, but I haven't felt inclined to pick it up again yet, but I haven't ruled it out yet.

I agree, maybe you were in the wrong mood for it, and once one's tried a book and 'failed', one's always a bit hesitant to go back and try it again. I'm confident you'll enjoy it more when you really get to it :)

Sorry, I forgot to answer this bit earlier! :doh:

I've read How to Talk to a Widower and This Is Where I Leave You and I enjoyed both of them very much :yes: The latter's my favorite, though.

Thanks, Claire and Sari! I'll keep these things in mind :). I might have to borrow a book by him and give it a try :).

Thanks, Claire and Sari! I'll keep these things in mind :). I might have to borrow a book by him and give it a try :).

I think that's the safest way to go :yes: At least in This Is Where I Leave You Tropper has some pretty raunchy stuff in the novel and it might not be to everyone's taste. Better to borrow a book by him and see if you like him, than to spend your money and then possibly not liking his books! 

Long Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):

Beware of Long Lankin …

When Cora and her little sister Mimi are sent to stay with their great-aunt in the isolated village of Bryers Guerdon, they sense immediately that they're not welcome. What they don't know is that the last time two young girls were at Guerdon Hall, their visit ended in a mysterious, violent tragedy. Something dark and evil has haunted the village for centuries. Now it has set eyes on its next victim, and it will stop at nothing to lay claim to her. With the help of local schoolboys Roger and Peter, Cora must uncover the horrifying secrets buried deep within Bryers Guerdon - before it is too late for Mimi.

Bewitching and atmospheric, this is a truly stunning debut that will linger with you for days after the final, chilling pages.

Review:

I've said it many times … I'm not a horror story person. I avoid horror films and books like the plague, and I would NEVER chose to read this book myself, and was a little bit horrified that my OH decided to buy it for me for Christmas! I've been putting it to the bottom of the pile of books for the last week, but I decided to bite the bullet and read it, and just get it out of the way.

The book opens with a poem, which in itself was a creepy start, telling the historical tale of the murder of the son and wife of the lord of the manor by the nurse and the eponymous Long Lankin. The story is set in the 1950s, so we're in an unconnected world of few telephones and limited transport, setting up a classic isolated country house mystery. The story is told from three points of view, Cora, the young girl who has been sent with her younger sister to a great Aunt in the country while her mother is absent, Ida, her great Aunt who has lived alone for many years, and Roger, a local boy who befriends the girls.

The first half of the book sets the scene and starts building the suspense gradually, and you start to feel the sense of menace looming, then as the book goes on, the tension ratchets up a few notches, as more secrets are revealed and more evidence is found, and then the last third races along to a heart racing, spine tingling finish, with what I felt was a very unusual and unexpected conclusion.

I'm going to spoiler tag the rest as I want to mention the themes and explanations within the story, so please DON'T READ IT if you have any intention of reading the book, as there will be plot spoilers in it!!!

Now, I know I'm not a horror story reader, but I was really surprised that there was such a strong link to religion in the explanation of what Long Lankin had become. I think I was expecting there to be a Scooby Doo type revelation at some point, and find it was some local with a grudge, but that there really was a Long Lankin and that he'd survived on the blood of young children, who were forever held in a type of limbo in the churchyard was a real surprise for me.

To sum up how I feel … it was a very good story, it was full of suspense and constantly left me uneasy, and built to an exciting and chilling ending, but, I'm still not a fan of horror stories, it hasn't convinced me to try more, and I won't read it again. It's hard for me to say whether I would recommend it, as I don't have any points of reference to say how good it is as a horror story, but I would be very interested to hear views from anyone else who does decide to read it.

I have only the vaguest recollection of reading Perfect now  :blush2: Oh dear! Not sure if I wrote a review *toddles off looking* .. no .. I didn't by the looks of it (was a long shot .. I think I only wrote about three reviews last year  :blush2: ) I seem to remember not being that taken but intrigued .. and it came together more at the end. Hope you at least like it Claire ... I don't want to keep foisting terrible books on you  :blush2:  :hug:

I have only the vaguest recollection of reading Perfect now  :blush2: Oh dear! Not sure if I wrote a review *toddles off looking* .. no .. I didn't by the looks of it (was a long shot .. I think I only wrote about three reviews last year  :blush2: ) I seem to remember not being that taken but intrigued .. and it came together more at the end. Hope you at least like it Claire ... I don't want to keep foisting terrible books on you  :blush2:  :hug:

Well, at least if you foist them on me, they haven't cost me anything! ;):lol: I don't mind anyway, at least I'll get to read them and make up my own mind :)

Happy reading in 2015, Claire  :smile:   Some more Alastair Reynolds, perhaps . . . ?  :giggle2:

Thanks Steve. You never know about Alastair Reynolds ... I've already read a horror story this year and I NEVER thought I'd do that! :D

Happy reading, Claire! I'm impressed that you've managed to keep your TBR pile so small all this time. You are such an inspiration! I'm hoping that 2015 will be the first year in which my TBR pile ends up smaller than it was at the beginning of the year. :)

Best of luck with your challenges!

The Child's Elephant by Rachel Campbell-Johnston

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):

When a baby elephant is abandoned on the African savannah, a young boy named Bat takes her back to his village and cares for her. But Bat's grandmother explains that Meya cannot stay with them for ever - the call of the wild will always be sounding in her soul.

Then frightening rumours arrive at the village; rumours of kidnapping, suffering and war. Bat and his friend Muka are snatched, and catapulted into a new life of unimaginable terror. Will the bond between Bat and Meya strong enough to save them?

Review:

I finished this book this afternoon, but I still don't know how I feel about it, yet. I did enjoy it, but it's taken me all week, which for a children's book is almost unheard of. I know I've haven't had the best week, which has definitely impacted by reading, but I wonder if that's all that affected my enjoyment. It did feel really long, and I felt the blurb on the back (which is different from the synopsis I've copied about) gave too much away, but because of the content, I felt it was needed, as there are some very difficult scenes that if I was a parent, I would want to know that my children were reading it. And that was actually another problem - the first half of the book solidly felt like a children's book, aimed at perhaps the 9-12 age range, but then the story takes a much darker turn, and this is for an older audience.

The descriptions of the natural world in Africa are very good, and I think it sets the environment and society up very well, and there are a smattering of illustrations of Meya the elephant throughout the book, which are beautiful pencil drawings.

I guess, as I write this review, I'm thinking that it was a pretty good read for me, but I did wonder at the intended audience for a book that starts so differently from how it ends. Maybe it's just because I'm not a parent, and I'm a little bit too removed from my own childhood to get a true impression of what age it's suitable for.

Yes, it's the book for this month, but I've got to work late the day of the meeting so i won't be able to go, and after I'd asked you about it, I decided it was either read the whole trilogy, or nothing … so I went with nothing!  I won't find out until February how everyone else got on with it.

Yes, it's the book for this month, but I've got to work late the day of the meeting so i won't be able to go, and after I'd asked you about it, I decided it was either read the whole trilogy, or nothing … so I went with nothing!  I won't find out until February how everyone else got on with it.

You'll have to tell me what everyone thought- I'd really be interested.  Atwood is such a strange author, everyone's experience with her seems so varied.