Brian's Reading List - 2015

Brian.

Aw!  That is too bad that you didn't enjoy it very much.  I still can't believe how old that novel is.  My grandfather (since passed) remembered hearing the radio broadcast!

Totally off topic, but can you recommend a non fiction WWII book?

The best book I have read about WWII was The Nazis: A Warning From History by Laurence Rees. There was a TV series which went along with the book (I can't recall which came first) and that was also very good and, it is on youtube if you want to check it out. I tend to go for books which feature a certain aspect of the war which interests me rather than wider ranging books. There has been some great work done on Arnhem, The Battle of British etc. Another two which I can recommend are Mengele: The Complete Story by Gerald Posner and Eyewitness Auschwitz by Filip Muller.Both come with the warning that they are grizzly reading, I found the book about Auschwitz in particular very chilling. Antony Beevor's work is always very well reviewed but I am yet to try one of his books out.

If I can be a little bit naughty I would also like to recommend two books about The Cold War as I find it very interesting. Cold War by Jeremy Isaacs covers the whole thing in a lot of detail and is an excellent account of things. Finally, The Berlin Wall by Frederick Taylor gives a good chronological history of the Berlin Wall and the politics on both sides surrounding it.

If you want some more recommendations, check out Alex's book reviews, she has a keen interest in non-fiction and has some great reviews in her book blogs from the last few years.

My TBR jar has chosen The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald as my next read.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow- thanks a lot- I will definitely check out the Cold War books!  And what a coincidence, I was just thinking of reading The Great Gatsby as my next read.  I've tried to read it before, but gave it up, and I found I owned Rees's Hitler's Charisma.  I've read Eyewitness Auschwitz by Filip Muller, but I have read A LOT of holocaust books.  I will definitely have a look at the Rees book.

Alex and I talk some about History and Politics, so I might ask her as well.

:)

The best book I have read about WWII was The Nazis: A Warning From History by Laurence Rees. 

If you want some more recommendations, check out Alex's book reviews, she has a keen interest in non-fiction and has some great reviews in her book blogs from the last few years.

Thanks Brian! :)  I wish I had time for more non-fiction, but I do love fiction as well and the non-fiction seems to be more involving! 

I have just acquired one of Beevor's works - Stalingrad - and The Nazis: A Warning from History has now gone onto the overflowing wish list. 

Thanks Brian! :)  I wish I had time for more non-fiction, but I do love fiction as well and the non-fiction seems to be more involving! 

I have just acquired one of Beevor's works - Stalingrad - and The Nazis: A Warning from History has now gone onto the overflowing wish list. 

You're welcome Alex. I know what you mean about non-fiction seeming more involved. I have some great looking stuff on my non-fiction shelf but I keep putting them off because they look like they will require a high level of commitment to get the most out of them.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

396094.jpg

Synopsis
In The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald brilliantly captures both the disillusionment of post-war America and the moral failure of a society obsessed with wealth and status. But he does more than render the essence of a particular time and place, for in chronicling Gatsby's tragic pursuit of his dream, Fitzgerald re-creates the universal conflict between illusion and reality.
(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

The TBR jar picked another book from the '1001 books' list, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I don't think I've had my copy for too long and I will admit that the only reason I bought it was that it is considered a literary classic. I knew almost nothing of the story except for the fact that Gatsby is a very flash, party throwing character. I probably would have felt a little apprehensive about reading it had it not been quite a short book, I would consider it a novella rather than a novel.

I found the first 30 or so pages a bit of a drag and I started to think that I had misunderstood the main thread of the story. There were some familiar motifs which I have come across in books written about the same period though, so parts of it felt familiar. Once Gatsby was introduced and well established, the book picked up a lot for me, especially with the running suspicion that something wasn't quite right with Gatsby. I really liked the many rumours that were circulating about him, they always brought a smile to my face. I quite liked the writing style but I did find myself skimming a few parts which I then went back and read again. This is usually a sign that I am not as engaged in the story as I would like to be. This is probably more down to my preferences rather than a criticism of Fitzgerald, I can still enjoy these kinds of books, they just require a bit more concentration on my part.

I found the final stages of the book quite sad, especially with regards to

Gatsby's funeral. He was seen as the most popular man in town and always had new faces as his parties, but, no one wanted to commit to attending the funeral. This is a reflection of the fact that the people at the parties went because it was the place to been seen and many of them didn't actually speak to Gatsby during these get togethers. I liked the fact that his business remains a mystery even at the end although it is certain that he was up to something fishy. The fact that he also took the responsibility for the death caused by Daisy and ultimately paid for it with his life spoke volumes to me.

I quite enjoyed this book but I didn't love it as much as most people seem to.

3/5 (I liked it).

That visit sounds awesome, what does the place look like?

I would show you a photo, but none of the photos are digital (I have them in the attic somewhere), so unfortunately I can't show you what it looked like. However, I can tell you that it looked like a lot of ruins, very impressive I thought. Some parts were more destroyed than others. I don't remember it exactly since it was many years ago now.

Wow, you've been reading a lot! Great reviews :). It's a shame you didn't like The War of the Worlds so much :(. I'm glad you liked the other books you read though. I hope your next read will be enjoyable.

Wow, you've been reading a lot! Great reviews :). It's a shame you didn't like The War of the Worlds so much :(. I'm glad you liked the other books you read though. I hope your next read will be enjoyable.

My reading mojo seems to be at an all time high at the moment, I think it's making up for the low amount of books I managed to read last year.

Edited by Brian.

Aw, such a shame that you didn't enjoy The War of the Worlds! I remember it being quite atmospheric, and I enjoyed the prose, but to each their own.

My grandfather (since passed) remembered hearing the radio broadcast!

Are you talking about the Orson Welles broadcast?

I found the first 30 or so pages a bit of a drag and I started to think that I had misunderstood the main thread of the story. be. This is probably more down to my preferences rather than a criticism of Fitzgerald, I can still enjoy these kinds of books, they just require a bit more concentration on my part.

I think that is what threw me off about it the first time.  I ended up not picking it up the other day.

Are you talking about the Orson Welles broadcast?

Ya, my grandfather was 25! 

Hunters in the Sea by Robin White

5339658.jpg

Synopsis
During the heyday of the USSR, Russian scientists desperate to create a weapon that no sophisticated defense system could stop turned to one of the oldest killers of all—smallpox. Modifying it to evade the human immune system, they created something so destructive that even they realized that it could never be used. Codenamed HUNTER, the disease was left to rot in an obscure lab in the heart of Russia as the Soviet state collapsed around it. But now a disgruntled former Russian scientist has defected to a shadowy group of terrorists and has taken passage to the Middle East in a rusty freighter full of so-called freedom fighters. In his case is stored one test tube of this new plague. In the midst of the worst storm in the history of the Mediterranean, only two men can stop him. Commander William Steadman of the attack boat USS Portland and Captain Rem Reonov of the Russian Akula class submarine Gepard hold the fate of the world in their hands, if only their superiors can recognize that they're on the same side. What no one knows, least of all the hapless terrorists on the freighter, is that HUNTER is already free on the boat and that the end of the world is already upon them.
(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I decided to take a break from the TBR jar and read one of the books that I bought recently, Hunters in the Sea by Robin White. I picked this book completely on a whim because I think that submarines are pretty cool. There have been some fantastic movies about submarine warfare but this was the first book on the subject that I have read. I hoped for something exciting and fast paced that would be fairly easy to read and entertaining.

The book is written in chronological order with the setting switching between the places the action takes place. There are three main settings for the story, the submarine USS Portland (American), the submarine Gepard (Russian) and a freighter which contains a deadly secret. That secret is a strain of smallpox which has been smuggled out of a decrepit lab in Russia by its main scientist. The reader is left to decide whether this scientist initially had good intentions or not. There is now a race to secure the smallpox otherwise potentially the world is at risk. To add further complications into the mix, a SEAL team is deployed onto USS Portland with orders which cause conflict between the captain of the submarine and the leader of the SEAL team.

There is a lot going on in this book. Global politics, gender issues, terrorism, leadership battles, and warfare. At times things do get a little OTT but there are other times where the reader's beliefs are challenged. There were some predictable events that happened but all of this is handled pretty well. This could have become a big mess but the author manages to keep the lid on it until the right time comes. I really enjoyed this book, it is exactly what I hoped it would be and it delivered the thrills I wanted.

4/5 (I really liked it).

Walden by Henry David Thoreau

16902.jpg

Synopsis
Walden; or Life in the Woods is an American book written by noted transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau. The work is part personal declaration of independence, social experiment, voyage of spiritual discovery, satire, and manual for self-reliance. Published in 1854, it details Thoreau's experiences over the course of two years in a cabin he built near Walden Pond, amidst woodland owned by his friend and mentor Ralph Waldo Emerson, near Concord, Massachusetts.
(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

For me, this is one of those books which just keeps cropping up in articles, conversations and podcasts. So much so, that eventually I decided that I just had to put my other non-fiction reading aside for a while and finally read it. In particular, Tim Ferriss is a big fan of this book and he constantly mentions it in his shows. It seems to resonate with people who are into simple living and nature so I thought that it would be something that I would like.

The book starts with some philosophy into the way life had developed in the United States and the reasons why Thoreau wanted to live in the woods for a while. There are a lot of things he talks about that are as relevant today as they were in 1854. It always amazes me how much life has changed, but, how many things still remain the same. He talks a lot about how, many people fritter their life away with needless distractions and do what society expects of them instead of living a more fulfilling life. On the surface this is something I kind of subscribe to, but, who is to say what is considered 'frittering life away'? Many people would consider reading fiction a waste of time (Thoreau seems to, unless it is a classic literary work) but obviously, I don't.

After these initial thoughts, the book switches to the memoirs of the naturalist side of Thoreau and his experiences living in the woods. It should be noted at this point that he isn't completely separated from society, he can hear the railway and he has frequent visitors to his cabin. He also takes trips into town to buy seeds etc, and, on one such visit he is arrested for not paying his taxes. There is a real timeless sense because life isn't controlled by some notion of having to do certain things by a certain time.  That said, Thoreau has to work to keep himself fed and his cabin in a condition suitable for the season. It is also nice to see how the flora and fauna change as the seasons change. Thoreau lives in unison with the animals who also live in the wood, unconcerned by the mice and squirrels who live under and inside his cabin.

Unfortunately, I didn't really go on with the naturalist section of the book, I found it to be very overwritten and needlessly repetitive. Huge swathes of texts are given over to most mundane of subjects and he often goes off on a tangent. I think I would have preferred to have read an abridged or edited version more suited to the modern reader. The end of the book is a bit of a philosophical summary with Thoreau's feelings about governments and taxes, needless to say, he is not a fan of either.

After finishing the book, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. The philosophy was interesting and engaging but the naturalist side of the book got tedious after a while.

2/5 (It was OK).

A lot of great reviews! :smile2: 

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski

My Thoughts

I have previously read Pulp by Charles Bukowski and although I thought it was okay, it never really grabbed me. I was initially surprised at this because Bukowski seems like the kind of writer I would really like. After some searching I discovered that Pulp isn't really considered a good place to start with Bukowski, most people recommend starting with Ham on Rye. During my last book buying spree I spotted a copy of Ham on Rye and snapped it up and the TBR jar decided that it was time for me to read it.

Glad you liked this one! :) I've read three Bukowski books and Ham on Rye was certainly favorite (5/5). I would probably recommend Post Office if you're interested in reading more of Bukowski's books :) 

I recently came by this image and thought it was funny (even though I did like the novel). :giggle2: 

46b5bcdefe0a179709e4f7d0dd61deb7.jpg

Walden by Henry David Thoreau

I'm sorry the latter part of the book got tedious for you :( This book is one that I've been really wanting to read for a few years now and I already have a copy. I've had a feeling I'd really love it, but I think I'll be more cautious now when I'll get to it. 

:lol: Frankie that picture is a perfect description of The Great Gatsby. 

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like Walden. I was planning on reading it at some point because of the same reasons you mentioned for reading it, that it was so widely accepted as a great work, but I'm not sure if I'll even give it a try now. I'm not big on the naturalistic stuff when it gets really crazy. 

A lot of great reviews! :smile2:

Glad you liked this one! :) I've read three Bukowski books and Ham on Rye was certainly favorite (5/5). I would probably recommend Post Office if you're interested in reading more of Bukowski's books :)

I recently came by this image and thought it was funny (even though I did like the novel). :giggle2:

46b5bcdefe0a179709e4f7d0dd61deb7.jpg

I'm sorry the latter part of the book got tedious for you :( This book is one that I've been really wanting to read for a few years now and I already have a copy. I've had a feeling I'd really love it, but I think I'll be more cautious now when I'll get to it. 

I've seen Post Office mentioned a lot so I will certainly be keeping an eye out for it. That book cover is pretty spot on :D

:lol: Frankie that picture is a perfect description of The Great Gatsby. 

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like Walden. I was planning on reading it at some point because of the same reasons you mentioned for reading it, that it was so widely accepted as a great work, but I'm not sure if I'll even give it a try now. I'm not big on the naturalistic stuff when it gets really crazy. 

It was such a shame because I really wanted to like it and I was sure that it was my kind of thing.

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

22624.jpg

Synopsis
Nausea is the story of Antoine Roquentin, a French writer who is horrified at his own existence. In impressionistic, diary form he ruthlessly catalogues his every feeling and sensation about the world and people around him.

His thoughts culminate in a pervasive, overpowering feeling of nausea which "spread at the bottom of the viscous puddle, at the bottom of our time, the time of purple suspenders and broken chair seats; it is made of wide, soft instants, spreading at the edge, like an oil stain."

Roquentin's efforts to come to terms with his life, his philosophical and psychological struggles, give Sartre the opportunity to dramatize the tents of his Existentialist creed.

(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

This has been sitting on my bookshelf for a long time and I don't recall when or where I acquired it. It's a book that I attracted me because I have a passing awareness of Sartre and his existentialist writings. When this book came out of the TBR jar I was apprehensive because of the subject matter. However, it's a short book of only about 250 pages and as usual I decided to give it 50-100 pages and see how it went.

I don't think I would necessarily call it a novel, it's a bit of a mishmash written like a diary. Some entries are quite short and to the point and some are very long and rambling. It basically details the thoughts of a man, Antoine Roquentin, during his time living in Bouville. While he is in Bouville he is carrying out research and trying to write a book about a historical figure. He has few acquaintances but no one that he would count as friend and feels that his life has no value to it. There is an ex-lover who comes back into his life after a long absence, but it is fair to say that she is no longer interested in him. Over the course of the book he veers into near insanity and this is really reflected in the writing.

I found the book very slow going, especially towards the conclusion where Roquentin is getting closer to losing his mind. For this reason it is a book that you really need to spend time with a go over everything in your head. There were some parts of the book which really jumped out and stuck in my head but as a general book to read, it's a lot of work. For this reason I thought that it was ok but honestly, no more than that.

2/5 (It was ok).

Well, his one act play No Exit is brilliant, where 3 characters (or 4) are trapped in the afterlife.  When I did the play (sound tech that time), I only had a working knowledge of existentialism.  The I met Ayn Rand :)

Well, his one act play No Exit is brilliant, where 3 characters (or 4) are trapped in the afterlife.  When I did the play (sound tech that time), I only had a working knowledge of existentialism.  The I met Ayn Rand :)

I have The Age of Reason by Sartre on my TBR so I will give that a go when it comes out of the jar. I have a loose plan to read one of Rand's books later this year but I find the size really quite intimidating.

Man V Fat by Andrew Shanahan

23359883.jpg

Synopsis
One day Andrew Shanahan took a "guttie" to text to a friend. That picture caused him to realize how unhappy he was about his body, and resolve to change it. He soon discovered that the dieting industry had turned its back on men. They were expected to get fit, tone up and turn fat into a six-pack in six week, but there was nothing for men who simply didn't want a beer belly any more. With this book, he fills that void, breaking down weight loss into its essential components. Based on his own experiences and research into the world of dieting and dietitians, he tells men what they need to know about losing weight, demystifying the subject and arming readers with the information they need to win their own battle against fat. Man v Fat is about three steps: understanding why you got fat, learning how to lose weight, and creating a winning structure. It also covers different diets, discusses common things friends say when you try to lose weight, evaluates weight loss equipment, and even includes a chapter titled "The ways you are going to screw this up—and how not to."
(taken from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

Every time I pop into my local library there are certain sections that I always check out. These are the politics section, psychology section and the health/medical section. Often I don't bother borrowing any of these books but on occasion something catches my eye. The health/medical section is often a let down because there are far too many books that promise sensational results from certain diets. In my experience, although these things do work for some people, and remarkably well for a select few, they are often not really backed up with too much proven science. This book seemed like a decent catch-all introduction to a healthier lifestyle and although I felt I wouldn't learn a whole lot from it, I decided to give it a read and see what it was like.

The book starts with the author explaining a little about himself and how he had the sudden realisation that he was obese. This had led to health issues, such as a heart condition, and as is usually the case, a reduction in his self-confidence. The way he looked at it was by asking himself a simple question, "does my body allow me to do what I want to?". He asks the reader to ask themselves this question and consider if their current level of health and fitness is restricting their life. One of the common reasons for losing weight and becoming more active in men is so that they are able to play with their kids more. Once the author had decided to make a change, he did what most of us do, he read some magazine and books. Sadly, it has to be said that when it comes to men's health there is a prevailing trend which I have personally come across many times. This trend extends across magazines, the internet and books. The media with tell you that men don't want to lose weight, they want to get 'ripped' and the only way to do this is a following some extreme regime of diet and exercise, and in 6 weeks you'll look like Jason Statham. But what happens if you have a lot of weight to lose or you don't want to be the next Bruce Lee, what happens if you just want to get down to a healthier weight and get fitter without being an underpants model? The answer often is, you try the extreme, you last about 2 weeks and then give up. Well this book is different, it talks about a process which is slow but sustainable, and will improve your health and help you lose weight.

From my point of view, there is nothing new here, I have already learned what the author discusses but it took me about 3 years of hit and miss experimentation. For any man who is just starting out and wants make changes to their health I would heartily recommend this book. There is no 'hard and fast' route to success laid out, but instead, the author talks about a variety of exercises from cycling to weight training and a whole raft of different approaches to nutrition. He explains the differences and key points with some of the main 'diets' that people follow and where to get more information on these. He doesn't push one thing over the other which is a nice change as most books will push one approach and tell us that all others are a waste of time. Some books will cover diet only but this books has diet and exercise as a combination, which in my opinion is the best approach. One without the other is beneficial, but the combination of both will multiply the benefits of the other and result in better overall health. Throughout the book are case studies of people who have lost weight and how they did it. They discuss their failures as well as successes and how they overcame obstacles which presented along the way.

This book takes a very holistic approach to the subject and I recommend it to anyone (men and women)  who want to improve their health.

4/5 (I really liked it).

I have a loose plan to read one of Rand's books later this year but I find the size really quite intimidating.

Just go for Atlas Shrugged instead of The Fountainhead! 

I'll be very interested to see what you think of Popcorn; I've read a few Ben Elton, but not this one.