Schultz Reading 2015

BSchultz19

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope they will be good :)! Do tell me what you think of them when you've seen them, if you want :P.

I definitely will! I hope they are good, because those are a few of my favorite novels she has written. 

I agree with Anna, that cap looks great on top of the shelf! :smile2: I hope you enjoy your new books, and I'm happy to hear you now have a lot more time to read! :)  :readingtwo:

Aw thanks :) 

The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon

15818278.jpg

Summary

Bestselling author Jennifer McMahon is back with a gut-wrenching mystery about an architect whose troubled mother has been found 25 years after being kidnapped-by a killer who is still on the loose.

The summer of 1985 changed Reggie's life. Thirteen, awkward, and without a father, she finds herself mixed up with her school's outcasts-Charlie, the local detective's son, and Tara, a goth kid who has a mental hold over Reggie and harbors a dark secret. That same summer a serial killer called Neptune begins kidnapping women. He leaves their severed hands on the police department steps and, five days later, displays their bodies around town. Just when Reggie needs her mother Vera-an ex-model with many "boyfriends" and a thirst for gin-the most, Vera's hand is found on the steps. But after five days, there's no body and Neptune disappears.
Now a successful architect who left her hometown behind after that horrific summer, Reggie doesn't trust anyone and lives with few attachments. But when she gets a call from a homeless shelter saying that her mother has been found alive, Reggie must confront the ghosts of her past and find Neptune before he kills again.
With her signature style, Jennifer McMahon portrays the dark side of adolescent friendship and introduces characters who haunt the imagination, along with a disturbing web of secrets, betrayals, and murder.

(from goodreads)

Opinions

What I liked best about this book is that it felt so real. I got so lost in the book that I had to take a break and realize that it wasn't real. It was definitely thrilling as well. I'm not a huge fan of scary and horror, so take this with a grain of salt, but I was scared out of my pants at least five different times. I was so afraid that I had to tell myself to not read it at night, because then I didn't want to leave my room to even go to the bathroom. 

Anyway, I thought the characters were really great too. The story flips back and forth between the past and the present, which provides great insight into the characters and what motivates them to do what they do in the present. 

As for the surprise factor, it was definitely there. I had two original guesses for who the murderer was, but fell into the trap that was laid by the author to get you off track. The actual murderer ended up being one of the two I suspected, so I felt a little silly for falling for the plot twist. I don't think I'm giving too much away by saying this, because everyone will have different original guesses, so I hope nobody is spoiled by this paragraph :) 

I haven't read a book by this author before and I just kind of stumbled upon it at the library. It must be the same publisher as another author that I've read, because I noticed that the cover design looked familiar and picked it up. It wasn't what I expected, but just reading the back cover was enough to make me realize I should read it. It was nice to get a change of pace and a new author. She has two other best selling books, so I might check those out in the future. I would 100% recommend this book. 

Rating

:doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart: 

Hmmmmmm. That book doesn't sound like it would be my usual kind of thing at all, but you're really selling it with that review. Might have to stick it on the wishlist!

It's really not my thing either. I don't like being to scared or freaked out while reading a book, because I would rather be relaxed but it was so good that I actually found it hard to avoid reading it at night when I knew that I would have nightmares :lol:

One of the great aspects was the switch between past and present. I enjoy books that do that when it is executed well like in this one. Definitely recommend it and hope you like it if you get around to it! :D

I had to go to Barnes & Noble today to find a Physics book so that I don't have to take the most basic physics class this fall and so naturally I looked around. I ended up spending waaayyy too much money  :giggle2:

I bought 

The Innocent Man - John Grisham

The Rainmaker - John Grisham

The Litigators - John Grisham

Leaving Time - Jodi Picoult

The Green Mile - Stephen King

Promise not to Tell - Jennifer McMahon

Mercy - Jodi Picoult

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

A Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde 

Yay for new books :D! I just bought Leaving Time too, I hope to get to it sometime not too long from now :). I've got a couple of others from your list on my TBR as well (ie. Mercy, The Green Mile and one or two of the John Grisham books. I do believe I also own those classics (I own omnibusses, so I think they'd be in there)).

Have you not read or seen A Midsummer Nights Dream before?  If not, you're in for a treat  :)  And if so, an excellent addition to a library... do you read many plays?

That's too much John Grisham for me :giggle2:

Yay for new books :D! I just bought Leaving Time too, I hope to get to it sometime not too long from now :). I've got a couple of others from your list on my TBR as well (ie. Mercy, The Green Mile and one or two of the John Grisham books. I do believe I also own those classics (I own omnibusses, so I think they'd be in there)).

I love buying new books. Actually getting around to reading them is quite a struggle :lol: Right now I'm trying to take advantage of any books that the library has. 

Have you not read or seen A Midsummer Nights Dream before?  If not, you're in for a treat  :)  And if so, an excellent addition to a library... do you read many plays?

That's too much John Grisham for me :giggle2:

I have not read or seen it! I've read some other shakespeare for school, but only the tragedies. I thought it would be interesting to read one of his comedies. I don't read them all that often but I've read a few. I also have The Importance of Being Earnest on my TBR. 

Grisham is good for me because if I am ever in a funk, I find most of his books pretty interesting. He's not my favorite, but definitely something I'm comfortable with :)

The Confession by John Grisham

7933437.jpg

Summary 

An innocent man is about to be executed.

Only a guilty man can save him.

For every innocent man sent to prison, there is a guilty one left on the outside. He doesn’t understand how the police and prosecutors got the wrong man, and he certainly doesn’t care. He just can’t believe his good luck. Time passes and he realizes that the mistake will not be corrected: the authorities believe in their case and are determined to get a conviction. He may even watch the trial of the person wrongly accused of his crime. He is relieved when the verdict is guilty. He laughs when the police and prosecutors congratulate themselves. He is content to allow an innocent person to go to prison, to serve hard time, even to be executed. 

Travis Boyette is such a man. In 1998, in the small East Texas city of Sloan, he abducted, raped, and strangled a popular high school cheerleader. He buried her body so that it would never be found, then watched in amazement as police and prosecutors arrested and convicted Donté Drumm, a local football star, and marched him off to death row.

Now nine years have passed. Travis has just been paroled in Kansas for a different crime; Donté is four days away from his execution. Travis suffers from an inoperable brain tumor. For the first time in his miserable life, he decides to do what’s right and confess.

But how can a guilty man convince lawyers, judges, and politicians that they’re about to execute an innocent man?

(from goodreads)

Opinions

The premise behind the novel was good, but for some reason I didn't particularly like this book. Maybe it was because I typically enjoy Grisham's books better when they center around a lawyer and courtroom drama, but the plot was very boring to me at times. Some of the characters seemed rushed in development. For example, a paragraph or two gave the backstory behind the main lawyer in the book. Some of the other characters were more fleshed out, but I didn't feel like he did a great job of developing all of them. 

I liked that it seemed very realistic. I don't want to give anything away, but it definitely gave the real possibilities of what might or might not happen when the real killer waits until the last moment to come forward. I liked that it wasn't automatically "Okay let's let the guy we have in custody go free," because that would never happen in real life. 

One thing I found interesting was one of the main characters was a Lutheran pastor. From what I gathered he was probably in a different synod than I am in, but I found it interesting because my dad is a Lutheran pastor so I found it easy to relate to the struggles that he had with his conscience throughout the novel. 

Overall, it was a good novel but not a great one. If you're into Grisham's works already, I would say to give it a try but otherwise I doubt if it would be that interesting to anyone. 

Rating

:doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart: 

Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar

22188.jpg

Summary

Welcome to New York City’s Upper East Side, where my friends and I live, go to school, play, and sleep—sometimes with each other.

S is back from boarding school, and if we aren’t careful, she’s going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn’t fit into, steal our boyfriends’ hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way. I’ll be watching closely . . .

You know you love me,

gossip girl

Opinions

I've watched the whole TV series, so I thought it would be interesting to check out the books. It was a nice mindless read that took about 3 or 4 hours to read. It's interesting because everything that happens in this book only takes up one episode of the show. Then I looked and saw that there were 13 books. I'm sure each of them covers more too. 

I don't have a lot to say about this book, because it was just a goofy little read. It doesn't have a ton of substance, but it was easy and fun. 

Rating

:doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart: 

It's a shame the Grisham book wasn't as good as his usual works. I haven't read that one, I don't think I own it either. I've never seen Gossip Girl, I'm not even sure what it's about (other than the synopsis you posted above). I'm glad you enjoyed that book though :). It can be nice to read an easy, fun book sometimes, I think.

It's a shame the Grisham book wasn't as good as his usual works. I haven't read that one, I don't think I own it either. I've never seen Gossip Girl, I'm not even sure what it's about (other than the synopsis you posted above). I'm glad you enjoyed that book though :). It can be nice to read an easy, fun book sometimes, I think.

Gossip Girl is basically a bunch of teenage drama. The first few seasons in high school and then in college. The twist is that they're also all super rich and live on the upper east side of New York. It's one of those shows/books that's probably terrible but you enjoy it anyway. 

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

40698.jpg

Summary

Of Mice and Men takes us into the lives of George and Lennie, two farm workers set out to find their way to a new life. In true Steinbeck form, this short novel explores both loyalty and the transient nature of mankind.

(from goodreads) 

I know this is pretty short, but it's what goodreads had and the book is pretty short. I'm not sure you could sum it up any other way without giving much away. 

Opinions

I've heard a lot of great things about this book. I've liked Steinbeck's books in the past, but I think this is one of my new favorites. I'd say it's right up there with Grapes of Wrath for me. I was amazed at the quality of writing the whole way through, but especially the first few paragraphs. Maybe it was because of the stark difference between his writing and the quality of writing that I've been reading recently, but I just thought it was a fantastic setting of the scene. 

The characters were great and it is interesting to see the tough decisions that two friends are forced to make. Definitely a timeless novel, but I also liked how it brings the reader into the time it was written. So many poor workers out in California looking for any job they could find. It is part of what makes the story what it is. 

Overall a very good book. I enjoyed it and it didn't take all that long to read. Would concur with those that say it is a must read book. 

Rating

Gossip Girl is basically a bunch of teenage drama. The first few seasons in high school and then in college. The twist is that they're also all super rich and live on the upper east side of New York. It's one of those shows/books that's probably terrible but you enjoy it anyway.

Ah that's a bit similar to what I had in mind :).

Great review! I have this book on my shelf but I haven't read it yet. I'm glad you liked it so much :).

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

680049.jpg

Summary

It was the war to end all wars, the global struggle that would finally make the world safe for democracy--at any cost. But one American soldier has paid a price beyond measure. And within the disfigured flesh that was once a vision of youth lives a spirit that cannot accept what the world has become.

An immediate bestseller upon its original publication in 1939, Dalton Trumbo's stark, profoundly troubling masterpiece about the horrors of World War I brilliantly crystallized the uncompromising brutality of war and became the most influential protest novel of the Vietnam era. With a poignant new foreword by Cindy Sheehan, Johnny Got His Gun--an undisputed classic of antiwar literatureis as timely as ever.

Opinions

I have to say that I honestly didn't like this book a whole lot in the beginning. Mostly because I found the stream of consciousness writing difficult to follow at times. 

The last twenty pages or so, though, is some of the most powerful writing I have ever read. I do disagree with extreme pacifism, but I can't deny that this book sells it really well. The end has the reader gripping on every word. It was powerful and emotional, for sure. 

Overall, not one of my favorites but it gets a good rating because it's such a necessary novel. It was written with passion and he managed to write something that HAS to be read by everyone whether they agree or disagree. 

Rating

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

20910157.jpg

Summary

In Amy Poehler’s highly anticipated first book, Yes Please, she offers up a big juicy stew of personal stories, funny bits on sex and love and friendship and parenthood and real life advice (some useful, some not so much), like when to be funny and when to be serious. Powered by Amy’s charming and hilarious, biting yet wise voice, Yes Please is a book is full of words to live by

Opinions

I absolutely loved this book. I loved it so much that I regret only borrowing it from the library and not buying it. I actually might go out and buy it right now. I have to say that I had some original bias for the book because Amy Poehler is one of my favorite actresses, writers, and just overall people. I love how she carries herself and I love everything she has done for women's rights. That said, I believe this book would be fantastic to people that don't even know who she is. She gives so many life lessons and wise words in this book, but there are also many times she makes the reader laugh out loud. 

That said, some of the chapters will make more sense and mean a lot more if you are familiar with her work on SNL and Parks & Recreation. And being very familiar and huge fan of both of these, this book meant a lot to me. I was able to see into the world of TV and learn the struggle it is but I have also learned how amazing every day of their lives are. It was really cool, added to the emotion the TV show already evoked in me, and was extremely funny. 

I put this book down to go to the bathroom and watch about 10 minutes of TV while I ate lunch. That was about it, because it was that good. I understand that maybe I'm overhyping the book and it might disappoint someone, but holy cow I loved this book. I don't read much non-fiction, but I might consider reading some of the other books written by some names I'm familiar with from The Office and Parks & Rec, two of my favorite shows. 

Rating

I've added it to my wishlist as you make it sound so good! :D  I don't recognise the name but I definitely know her face from somewhere.

She's quite popular. Especially some of her SNL skits before people really knew her name. So if you ever watched that or saw a clip from it, that might be where you have seen her face. :)

It must be from the new Pixar film. She's one of the main emotions inside the lead character's brain.

This too :lol: I actually want to see this film because she is one of the voices and an actress from The Office is another one. 

I've seen and heard Amy Poehler in several films, I'm glad the book was amazing :)!

I'm happy as well. I had high expectations from her :)  :giggle2:

You Know You Love Me by Cecily von Ziegesar

37451.jpg

Summary

In You Know You Love Me, the sequel to Gossip Girl, it's brunette vixen Blair Waldorf's seventeenth birthday, and she knows exactly what she wants— Nate, her studly troubles boyfriend of three years. But Blair's been too busy filling out Ivy League college applications to notice that Nate has found himself another playmate.

Opinions

Well I decided to use these books as fillers. In between groups of longer and sometimes more challenging books, I'm just going to read them. Not great, not bad. It is very interesting if you're into reading about gossip, and it's kind of fun to live in the world of rich New Yorkers. As far as quick, easy, teen reads go it was a good one, so I'm giving it a pretty good rating. 

Rating