Should Writers Respond to Their Critics?

pontalba

I ran across this article, a regular feature of the NYT.  The subject being debated this time is the question of whether Authors should respond to their critics/reviewers.  The authors, in this case Zoe Heller and James Parker, give their own views on the subject.  Makes for interesting and very amusing reading. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/books/review/should-writers-respond-to-their-critics.html?emc=edit_bk_20141219&nl=books&nlid=28874140&_r=0

Some quotes:

James Parker said: "But there remains that feeling — that feeling of being misunderstood and misused. That subtracted, sad-child feeling. You may be wondering how it is that I, who have written derisive and destructive reviews of books I considered not good, who have taken pains to make public, in as amusing a way as possible, the inferior qualities of this or that author, can be so terribly thin-skinned. Is it the case, you ask shrewdly, that I can dish it out but can’t take it? To which I reply: It is absolutely the case. I can dish it out endlessly, and I can’t take it at all. I believe I share this characteristic with most members of my species."

From Zoe Heller: "I have sat up more nights than I care to admit, mentally composing responses to critics who I felt had treated me poorly. It is easy, in the delusion-prone small hours, to imagine that I am constructing brilliant and devastating ripostes. But come morning, the inventions of nighttime are invariably revealed as peevish, self-important whines."

Just shows you, no matter how famous we are, we're never impervious to criticism. I think it's particularly important when critiquing amateur writers work to only be constructive. If we can't say something positive ....we shouldn't say anything at all. Guess that goes for life in general :blush2: 

Interesting article :)! I agree with poppy, I think it's important to also see the good / positive side of something. Though of course a particular book might not be for everyone, so it's perfectly okay not to get along with everything you read. Of course if you publish your review (particularly for reviewers who get paid) then I do think it's nice to be civil about it and do it in a constructive way.

I know that I used to hate getting critical reviews of my work (and I have had a few in my time), but I don't let it get to me anymore. At the end of the day you are never going to please everyone and  we all have our own ideas and opinions. My own book was never going to be a bestseller, and I am sure when the re-write is finally done, the new version won't be either. I am not doing it for others anyway, but more for my own learning. :readingtwo:  

Edited by Talisman

Just shows you, no matter how famous we are, we're never impervious to criticism. I think it's particularly important when critiquing amateur writers work to only be constructive. If we can't say something positive ....we shouldn't say anything at all. Guess that goes for life in general :blush2: 

I agree that positive reinforcement is important, but if that's all we give how can that help the aspiring writer to become better?  If we give constructive criticism in a kind manner I think that would be the best.

It does, true enough. 

Interesting article :)! I agree with poppy, I think it's important to also see the good / positive side of something. Though of course a particular book might not be for everyone, so it's perfectly okay not to get along with everything you read. Of course if you publish your review (particularly for reviewers who get paid) then I do think it's nice to be civil about it and do it in a constructive way.

Absolutely.  Civility is also the best way to get your point across.  No one will listen to someone that is berating them. 

I know that I used to hate getting critical reviews of my work (and I have had a few in my time), but I don't let it get to me anymore. At the end of the day you are never going to please everyone and  we all have our own ideas and opinions. My own book was never going to be a bestseller, and I am sure when the re-write is finally done, the new version won't be either. I am not doing it for others anyway, but more for my own learning. :readingtwo:  

I bet it has to hurt to get a critical review.  Here you've poured your heart into something, believed in it, babied it along and someone comes along and is critical of your POV. 

I wonder though, did you ever respond, or even wish to respond to their criticisms?

I think that is the main thrust of the article........do authors respond?, should they respond?, and if so.....in what venue or manner?

Or, is it better to simply ignore the criticism?  If we ignore negative responses to our work, can or should we respond to positive ones?  Where is the line?

Edited by pontalba

poppy said:

pontalba said:

I agree that positive reinforcement is important, but if that's all we give how can that help the aspiring writer to become better?  If we give constructive criticism in a kind manner I think that would be the best.

It does, true enough. 

You're right Pont, I should have worded that better. I didn't mean that helpful advice shouldn't be given, just not in a belittling way. Beginners especially, can very easily have all confidence in their writing taken away by thoughtless remarks.

You're right Pont, I should have worded that better. I didn't mean that helpful advice shouldn't be given, just not in a belittling way. Beginners especially, can very easily have all confidence in their writing taken away by thoughtless remarks.

I agree with you there, poppy.  It's a fine line sometimes.

This article made me remember that kerfuffle a while back on Good Reads about some author answering some of her critics/reviewers in an extremely nasty way.  I don't remember or even know all the details, but it was a big deal.  So, I'd have to say that answering critics is not generally a good thing.  Because whatever you say, it will not be enough, or will be too much and open a whole 'nother can of worms!  :roll::)

Really, writing is a little (a lot) like exposing yourself.  Your book is out there, for all time, for someone to take potshots at, and misinterpret whatever you meant to say.  /sigh/  Just like real life......heh