The BCF Book Awards 2014

Kylie

We seem to be hurtling towards Christmas and the end of the year, so it must be time for the annual BCF Book Awards! :D 

The lovely Poppyshake started this back in 2010, but as she's feeling under the weather at the moment, I'm sure she won't mind me posting on her behalf. I'll be back later with my answers!  :grinhat:

Your favourite read of the year?

Your favourite author of the year?
Your most read author of the year?
Your favourite book cover of the year?
The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)?
The book that most disappointed you?
The funniest book of the year?
Your favourite literary character this year?
Your favourite children's book this year?
Your favourite classic of the year?
Your favourite non-fiction book this year?
Your favourite biography this year?
Your favourite collection of short stories this year?
Your favourite poetry collection this year?
Your favourite illustrated book of the year?
Your favourite publisher of the year?
Your favourite audiobook of the year?

Your favourite re-read of the year?

It's always nice to fill these in! I'm going to wait a little bit closer to the end of the year before filling it in. I'm definitely going to give some of these questions some thought.. I couldn't possibly pick a favourite book, as always :P.

Your favourite read of the year? I gave several books a perfect score this year, but the best book for me, by far, was The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It's the true story of the building of the World's Fair in Chicago in the late 1800s/early 1900s, as well as a parallel story (also true) about a serial killer who used the flurry of activity of Chicago at this time to cover his many murders. Incredible stories and very atmospheric writing.

Your favourite author of the year? Agatha Christie (I read And Then There Were None, Murder on the Orient Express and Hercule Poirot's Christmas)

Your most read author of the year? Lemony Snicket (4) followed by Agatha Christie (3) and James Dashner (3)

Your favourite book cover of the year? Hollow City by Ransom Riggs. Honourable mention to The Collected Works of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (what's not to love about a book cover full of books? :D)

post-3835-0-14221400-1418824718_thumb.jpg  post-3835-0-56586000-1418824752_thumb.jpg

The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)? I always keep reading to the end.

The book that most disappointed you? The first three books in James Dashner's Maze Runner series.

The funniest book of the year? The Weirdest Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell. Honourable mentions to Beyond the Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjornsen and The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford

Your favourite literary character this year? Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

Your favourite children's book this year? The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Huckleberry Finn. Honourable mention to The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. The latter was a re-read, but it's a lovely and sad story.

Your favourite classic of the year? The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Your favourite non-fiction book this year? The Devil in the White by Erik Larson

Your favourite biography this year? Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden

Your favourite collection of short stories this year? The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Your favourite poetry collection this year? I didn't read any poetry this year.

Your favourite illustrated book of the year? Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers

Your favourite publisher of the year? Hmm...I wasn't particularly paying attention to the publishers of the books I was reading, but Penguin is always a big favourite of mine.

Your favourite audiobook of the year? I don't listen to audiobooks.

Your favourite re-read of the year? The only book I re-read this year was the play of Twelve Angry Men (although I also read it for only the first time this year). I was part of an amateur theatre group that put this play on (I was the prompt and stage manager), so I read the play twice a week, every week, for about three months. How's that for re-reading!? :D

Your favourite read of the year? Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist Dark, menacing and best not read while sitting in the dark.

Your favourite author of the year? John Green. Oh the characters this man has given us.
Your most read author of the year? Rachel Caine (her 15 book Morganville Vampire series)
Your favourite book cover of the year? The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman
The Story Of My Face by Kathy Page. Beautiful prose, but the story left me ultimately and oddly dissatisfied. I do plan on reading more by Kathy Page though.
The funniest book of the year? Weird Things People Say In Bookshops by Jen Campbell.
Your favourite literary character this year? Elise Kavanagh (SM Reine books) I will always adore this complicated and faithful warrior woman. I just want to hug her hard.
Your favourite children's book this year? It’s been mostly YA this year. So many good ones, but I will plumb for the always delightful Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage

Stiggy’s, here on the forum. Stig writes such a range of compelling poems. I have gone back to them again and again over the year.
A Big Finish drama celebrating the Doctor Who 50th – The Light At The End. Great stuff.
Your favourite re-read of the year? I have re read a number of book series this year, and enjoyed them enormously, but I narrowed it down to two. It was an amazingly tough choice between Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere and William Gibson’s Neuromancer. Just for old time’s sake, I am going with Neuromancer

Edited by Chrissy

Your favourite read of the year?  An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Your favourite author of the year?  Hugh Howey

Your most read author of the year?  Lee Child (9 + 3 Kindle Singles)

Zombie Apocalypse 5: Desperate Measures by Keith Luethke (the books were terrible)

85b1a9b8-0742-49b4-b67d-6b8d6cb55756.jpg 

The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)?  MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood

The book that most disappointed you?  Rules of Prey by John Standford

The funniest book of the year?  The Humans by Matt Haig

Your favourite literary character this year?  Newt in Maze Runner by James Dashner

Your favourite classic of the year?  12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup

Your favourite non-fiction book this year?  The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

Your favourite biography this year?  All Rivers Run to the Sea by Elie Wiesel

Your favourite collection of short stories this year?  Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth

Your favourite poetry collection this year

Your favourite illustrated book of the year?  Abarat by Clive Barker

Your favourite publisher of the year?  I like Hugh Howey;s independently released short stories

Your favourite audiobook of the year?  Tie: Carrie by Stephen King (narrated by Sissy Spacek) and Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (narrated by Tam Dean Burn)

Your favourite re-read of the year?  Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

I couldn't possibly pick just one, so here's a narrowed down version of a few books I really loved:

Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson - Wheel Of Time 14: A Memory Of Light

Scott Meyer - Magic 2.0 1: Off to Be the Wizard

Scott Meyer - Magic 2.0 2: Spell Or High Water

Ernest Cline - Ready Player One

Catherine Ryan Hyde - Don't Let Me Go

Catherine Ryan Hyde - Where We Belong

Jodi Picoult - The Pact

Garth Stein - The Art of Racing in the Rain

George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 3-2: A Storm Of Swords 2: Blood And Gold

Graeme Simsion - The Rosie Project

I can't pick just one. Favourite newly discovered authors that I read more than one book of, for the first time this year: Scott Meyer, Catherine Ryan Hyde and Trudi Canavan.

Ann M. Martin (12), A. C. Baantjer (9), Veronica Roth (8), Simon de Waal (7), Roald Dahl (7), Trudi Canavan (7), George R. R. Martin (6)

Scott Meyer - Magic 2.0 books 1 and 2, I love these covers!

Wes Crenshaw - I Always Want To Be Where I'm Not: Succesful Living with ADD and ADHD

Rob Kaplan and Harold Rabinowitz - A Passion For Books: A Book Lover's Treasury of Stories, Essays, Humor, Lore, and Lists on Collecting, Reading, Borrowing, Lending, Caring For, and Appreciating Books

Steve Meyer - Magic 2.0 1: Off To Be The Wizard OR:

Ernest Cline - Ready Player One

I don't know, I read a lot of books this year and don't really keep tabs on which character I found the most interesting out of all these books.

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 1: Fantasia - (Nel Regno Della Fantasia)

George Orwell - Animal Farm

Sonja Kimpen - Sterker Dan Stress: Weet Wat je Wilt en Haal Meer uit je Leven OR

Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey - Delivered From Distraction: Getting The Most Out Of Life With Attention Deficit Disorder

Dave Nasser and Lynne Barrett-Lee - Giant George: Life with the World's Biggest Dog

Well, I would say the Four stories by Veronica Roth, but I bought them individually so they're not a collection on my Kindle. I didn't read that many collections this year, just a lot of individual ones. I'd have to go for the Four stories if that counts.

I don't read poetry.

Rereading Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances series by Matsumi Tsuda, though I also really enjoyed Fantasia but I've mentioned that one elsewhere.

I don't really look at specific publishers all that much.

I don't listen to audiobooks, with my disabilities this would not be doable.

Gabrielle Zevin - Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac OR

Thea Beckman - Wonderkinderen OR

Annie M. G. Schmidt - Minoes

The themes of We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler will stick with me long term.

Graeme Simsion - I loved both his books.

Laurell K Hamilton. I read quite a few of her Anita Blake series until it got completely ridiculous.

Erm. I must admit I don't pay much attention.

I am halfway through The Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man but I sort of intend to finish it - just read a few pages here and there.

A tie between Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and I'm currently reading the new Marian Keyes book The Woman Who Stole My Life and it's dreadful

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Don Tillman from The Rosie Project.

Monkey Puzzle by Julia Donaldson and Slinky Malinki Open the Door by Lynley Dodd. These are picture books I read my children. Oh Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack by Lynley Dodd is also amazing. It's not a chore reading bedtime stories with these awesome books.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. So atmospheric

Peaceful Parent, Happy Child by Laura Markham.

Your favourite biography this year? None read
Your favourite collection of short stories this year? None read
Your favourite poetry collection this year? None read

Look! A Book by Bob Staake. Fabulous for children and adults.

All of them

Your favourite audiobook of the year? None read

This may be the first year in my life I've not re-read anything.

I'm thoroughly disappointed in my reading list this year.  I had a pretty crappy year as well, and often found it hard to read through my depression.

Your favourite read of the year?  The Book Thief by Mark Zusak

Your favourite author of the year? Mary Kubica.  I love her style and can't wait to read more from her.

Your most read author of the year? Three way tie between Lois Lowry, Charlaine Harris, and Veronica Roth

11505797.jpg    To bad the book wasn't good.
The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)?  Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin and Fallen by Lauren Kate

The book that most disappointed you? Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

The funniest book of the year? I don't think I read anything funny

Your favourite literary character this year? Hetty from The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

Your favourite children's book this year?   Being Wendy by Fran Dresher.  I love the message of this picture book.

Your favourite classic of the year?  Didn't read any!  I'm so disappointed

Your favourite non-fiction book this year?  Orange Is The New Black by Piper Kerman

Your favourite biography this year?  Didn't read any

Your favourite collection of short stories this year? Didn't read any

Your favourite poetry collection this year? Didn't read any

Your favourite illustrated book of the year?  The Neverending Story

Your favourite publisher of the year? No clue

Your favourite audiobook of the year? Didn't listen to any

Your favourite re-read of the year?  Didn't reread any

I'm thoroughly disappointed in my reading list this year.  I had a pretty crappy year as well, and often found it hard to read through my depression.

That's such a shame nursenblack.  I hope the coming new year brings you better times, and wonderful books.  :friends0:

Edited by Chrissy

The Unvanquished by William Faulkner 5/5, and since no one can eat just one, The Martian by Andy Weir, or maybe Stoner by John Williams.....decisions, decisions, decisions!! :D

favorite new author Terry Hayes who wrote I Am Pilgrim who should be listed in the above category as well. :D  Old-time favorite, William Faulkner

Oddly enough, not a favorite, Blake Crouch, author of the Wayward Pines series.

ummmmm.....

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt - It turned into a travelogue of Savanah, Ga.  Not the true story of the man I'd hoped for from the synopsis. And I must add for fiction The Sisterhood by Helen Bryan.  It turned out to be not as advertised as a poster on Constant Reader made it out to be.  It was nothing but a historical soap opera.  And not even a particularly interesting one at that.

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Cl-Cl-Clau----Claudius

N/A

I suppose that depends on one's definition of "classic".  Hmmm Would the Bond books be considered "classic"?  I think so, actually.  But I have to name Stoner by John Williams as my favorite classic.  to me it deserves the classification. :)

The Great New Orleans Kidnapping Case by Michael A. Ross

Autobio actually, by Robert Vaughn, A Fortunate Life.

Not finished yet, but I'd say The Polish Boxer by Eduardo Halfon

:( didn't read a whole collection.

none read.

I don't actually pay attention to the name of the publisher.

Don't listen, they put me to sleep.  :D

I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves

Edited by pontalba

Mr Pip by Lloyd Jones

Graeme Simsion (The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect)

E.F.Benson (Mapp and Lucia books)

I've read several humorous books this year and I can't really choose one. During a convalescence, I ploughed through the complete Mapp and Lucia series by E.F. Benson and later books by Tom Holt and Guy Fraser-Sampson involving the same characters. All very funny. I'm loving The Diary of a Provincial Lady series by E.M.Delafield, she's a most witty writer. The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect are also wonderfully funny.

Mr Pip (from the book by the same name by Lloyd Jones)

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White  and Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones

The Importance Of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

The Saki Collected Fiction of H.H.Munro

Like Chrissy, my favourite poems are by Stiggy. He has such a unique voice and a very deft way with words. He paints wonderfully original word pictures and I love how they are so multi-layered in meaning.

I sometimes listen to audiobooks when I can't sleep and my favourites are by PG Wodehouse. However, I don't usually get into them very far before my mind wanders off and I fall asleep :blush2: 

Edited by poppy

Without a doubt, this was Far From The Madding Crowd.  Brilliant in every sense, and up there with the very best.

Trickier one this. Obviously my most read author has to be up there, but the one that has made the most impact on me has been Penelope Fitzgerald. Several close runners-up, including Thomas Hardy, Georges Simenon, and Charlotte Higgins. If I'd read her earlier in the year, it might have been Dorothy Sayers, but it's hard to base this award on only one book.

Georges Simenon. Penguin are reissuing all his work, one book a month, and I'm steadily and enjoyably working through them.

The Folio Society edition of Dorothy Sayers's The Nine Tailors. Close runner-up: again an FS cover, this time Possession.

post-5780-0-26542700-1419441201_thumb.jpg  post-5780-0-93914600-1419441473_thumb.jpg

Don Fernando by W Somerset Maugham. Dull as ditchwater. It wasn't anywhere close to the book I disliked the most though, which I only completed because it was one for my Reading Group. This was Herman Koch's The Dinner, a book with few, if any, redeeming features.

Cider with Rosie. A classic, perhaps, but to my mind overwritten,repetitive, and surprisingly tedious for such a short book.

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion, with A Bear Called Paddington a close runner-up! It seems I'm not alone at rating The Rosie Project! Another popular nominee here is Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops - definitely enjoyable, but I found this raising more smiles than out and out laughs, whilst the other two definitely made me laugh (rare for a book)!.

Bathsheba Everdene in Far From The Madding Crowd, one of the great heroines for me.

Only one read, but it was a six star book, so a worthy winner: A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond.

Same as my overall favourite read, Far From The Madding Crowd.

The Pursuit of Glory by Tim Blanning. Outstanding history, and would have been overall winner but for Ms Everdene!

Thomas Hardy, The Time-Torn Man by Claire Tomalin.

None read

The Complete Robert Frost

Charles Keeping's illustrations for the Folio Society's Nicholas Nickleby: the perfect illustrator for Dickens, far better than the originals!

Penguin, for starting their reissue of the entire Maigret series. I like the covers too!

None listened to.

A Christmas Carol. This book grows on me with every read, and has now become a firm favourite.

Edited by willoyd

Your favourite read of the year? The Humans by Matt Haig
Your favourite author of the year?  Emma Carroll
Your most read author of the year? M. C. Beaton (again!)
Your favourite book cover of the year? Sea and Shore Cornwall by Lisa Woollett
The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)? Idiopathy by Sam Byers
The book that most disappointed you? The Bookshop That Floated Away by Sarah Henshaw
The funniest book of the year? The Humans by Matt Haig
Your favourite literary character this year? Francesco del Cossa from How To Be Both by Ali Smith
Your favourite children's book this year? The Girl Who Walked On Air by Emma Carroll
Your favourite classic of the year? Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens
Your favourite non-fiction book this year? Strands by Jean Sprackland
Your favourite biography this year? The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven
Your favourite collection of short stories this year? Haven't read any this year
Your favourite poetry collection this year? Haven't read any this year
Your favourite illustrated book of the year? Our Garden Birds and Our Woodland Birds by Matt Sewell
Your favourite publisher of the year? Faber & Faber Childrens Books
Your favourite audiobook of the year? A Room With A View by E. M. Forster (narrated by Joanna David)
Your favourite re-read of the year? A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle

Your favourite read of the year? An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. I absolutely loved the characters in this novel, and like always with John Green, it felt so real but was also a little tragic. 

Your favourite author of the year? Jodi Picoult. I just started reading her books this year and I fell in love with her characters and amazing plots. She also helped me realize that I'm REALLY into courtroom dramas. 
Your most read author of the year? Either Nicholas Sparks or Jodi Picoult. I finished Sparks this summer, so he was a big one in the beginning of the year; however, Picoult has pretty much been a staple of my reading the past three months, so I'm not sure which one I read more. 
Virals. I'm boring and don't read a lot of books with great covers. 

7800188.jpg
Moby Dick. It pains me because I tried so hard and really wanted to beat this one, but it was just too much and ended up slowing down my reading immensely.  :banghead: 
The book that most disappointed you? The Fault in Our Stars. I have a feeling this is an unpopular opinion, but I wasn't impressed. I read Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska before I read TFIOS and it was my least favorite of the three. Now that I have read An Abundance of Katherines, it moved down to fourth favorite book by John Green. It has gotten a lot of hype, but I really wasn't that impressed. This could be because I got a concussion halfway through reading, but it just didn't suit my fancy. 
I have no idea. I don't read humorous books. I save the humor for the TV I watch.
Your favourite literary character this year? Mrs. Bennett from Pride & Prejudice. I couldn't help but picture her as my mom. They're both so all over the place and overreact to every little thing, but totally in a loving way. She made me laugh and sometimes I wanted to punch right through the book to hit her. What more could I ask for from a character?
Your favourite children's book this year? N/A
Your favourite classic of the year? Pride & Prejudice. This was my first time reading it and it lived up to the hype. 
I didn't read any  :wacko:  :cry: 
Your favourite biography this year? I read like five pages of one on Abraham Lincoln, but I don't think that counts. :lol:
Your favourite collection of short stories this year? N/A
Your favourite poetry collection this year? N/A
Your favourite illustrated book of the year? N/A
Your favourite publisher of the year? N/A
Your favourite audiobook of the year? N/A
Your favourite re-read of the year? N/A

This was really tough to analyze and think back to the year of reading I've done. I need to log my books better this year  :giggle2:

Your favourite read of the year? Above his Station: Darren Craske    

A Well Tempered Heart: Jan-Philipp Sandker

The Ringtone and the Drum: Mark Weston

What is the What? Dave Eggers

The Shock of the Fall: Nathan Filer

Season of the Witch: Arni Thorarinsson

Sao Tome - Journey to the Abyss: Paul D Cohn

My Name is Salma: Fadia Faqir 

A Constellation of Vital Phenomena: Anthony Marra

Your favourite author of the year? Darren Craske

Your most read author of the year? Jason Smart (4 books) and Darren Craske (3) 

Your favourite book cover of the year? N/A - I only read Kindle books

The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)? None - I finished all of them

The book that most disappointed you? The Fifth Wave: Rick Yancey

The funniest book of the year? Above his Station: Darren Craske

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden: Jonas Jonasson

The Humans: Matt Haig

Your favourite literary character this year? The rat from the Darren Craske books ! I also liked the Professor in Matt Haig's The Humans   

Your favourite children's book this year? N?A

Your favourite classic of the year? N?A

Your favourite non-fiction book this year? The Ringtone and the Drum: Mark Weston 

What is the What? Dave Eggers

Loving What Is: Byron Katie

Your favourite biography this year? N/A

Your favourite collection of short stories this year? N?A

Your favourite poetry collection this year? N?A

Your favourite illustrated book of the year? N?A

Your favourite publisher of the year? N/A

Your favourite audiobook of the year? N/A

Your favourite re-read of the year? That's easy - the one I am currently rewriting, written by yours truly !  

Edited by Talisman

I've not read nearly as much as usual this year, so not all the sections will be filled, but here goes:

Anna Belfrage - Revenge and Retribution (Graham Saga #6)

Anna Belfrage

Anna Belfrage

post-3572-0-33677600-1419850299_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, this is a flippin' great read, and I highly recommend it! A 1920s reworking of the old fairytale of the 12 dancing princesses - it is vibrant, eloquent, and utterly beautiful!

John Green - An Abundance of Katherines

I just couldn't get on with it at all - didn't like any of the characters and the story seemed to be going nowhere.

John Green - An Abundance of Katherines

After enjoying The Fault In Our Stars so much, I was gutted not to enjoy this one by the same author.

Roald Dahl - The Twits

One of my all-time favourites. I read it to Xan this year and he loved it too.

Claire Randall Fraser from the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

She's so feisty and no-nonsense! Closely followed by Black Jack Randall from the same series - he's such a nasty piece of work - and Jamie Fraser (again, from the same series) as he is quite possibly the perfect man!

Roald Dahl - The Twits

I've not read any classics this year - now I have realised this, I feel dreadful! I did mean to. In fact, I'm part ay through a re-read of The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Duams, and it's one of my all-time favourites, so I'll say that one, even though I'm nowhere near finished it!

Guy Adams – Sherlock: The Casebook - a must for all fans of the series.

N/A

N/A

N/A

Roald Dahl - James and the Giant Peach (still reading it to Xan) with illustrations by Nancy Ekholm Burkert. Follow the link HERE to see some examples of the beautiful pictures in this version!

Hodder & Stoughton for consistently publishing great books that I love to read!

N/A

Roald Dahl - The Twits - re-reading it with Xan has been one of my reading highlights of the year!

We're still a few days short of the end of the year but I'm going to give my answers already as I don't think I will be reading anything extraordinary in the next few days (if I do, I'll come back with vengeance!):

Your favourite read of the year? - Simply impossible to choose just one. These are the ones I've loved the most:  

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Your favourite author of the year? - It would be easy just to list all the authors whose books I've liked the most this year (see answer above), but I'm going to go with authors by whom I've read more than one book this year and who've kept me well entertained and wanting for more: Rainbow Rowell and Niina Hakalahti

Your most read author of the year? - Sue Townsend, Stephenie Meyer and Niina Hakalahti (4 books by each)

Your favourite book cover of the year? - Avioliittosimulaattori by Veera Nieminen: 

post-4458-0-32495400-1419878907_thumb.jpg

The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)? - If I don't like a book, I have no problems abandoning it, so there have been quite a few I'm sure. I can't remember which was the one I read least of, so I'll write the name of the one that comes first to mind: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

The book that most disappointed you? - Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen 

The funniest book of the year? - Another tricky question. I can't choose just one, so here's another list:

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell  

This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper  

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman 

Opettajainhuone by Annika Luther 

Avioliittosimulaattori by Veera Nieminen 

Your favourite literary character this year? - A really difficult one. I'll say Xavier from Vaudeville! by Gaétan Soucy. 

Your favourite children's book this year? - This was easy! :exc: The Illustrated Mum by Jacqueline Wilson

Your favourite classic of the year? - I only read two classics this year and the winner is Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray 

Your favourite non-fiction book this year? - 

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell 

Thomas Quick: The Making of a Serial Killer by Hannes Råstam (RIP)

Your favourite biography this year? - I've only read one biography this year, it was a re-read and I liked it: Sheriffi McCoy by Andy McCoy

Your favourite collection of short stories this year? - 

Your favourite poetry collection this year? - 

Your favourite illustrated book of the year? - Mimmi ja vihainen vahtimestari by Viveca Sundvall. I'm not a fan of illustrations but I do love the ones in the Mimmi novels :smile2: 

Your favourite publisher of the year? - I don't pay attention to different publishers :blush:

Your favourite audiobook of the year? - 

Your favourite re-read of the year? - Another easy question: The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Wow, that was hard! :lol:

Kell- Funny that my favorite book and your disappointment/ abandoned book were the same (An Abundance of Katherines:P

I was about to say the same thing. 

Except she mentioned that An Abundance of Katherines was disappointing because she loved TFIOS so much, but I was disappointed by TFIOS because I liked his other novels so much. 

I've had a really interesting time reading through other people's posts and I have a few comments: 

Your favourite read of the year? I gave several books a perfect score this year, but the best book for me, by far, was The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It's the true story of the building of the World's Fair in Chicago in the late 1800s/early 1900s, as well as a parallel story (also true) about a serial killer who used the flurry of activity of Chicago at this time to cover his many murders. Incredible stories and very atmospheric writing.

I want to get to reading this...!!

The funniest book of the year? The Weirdest Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell. Honourable mentions to Beyond the Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjornsen and The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford

Wohoo for Beyond the Great Indoors! :exc: =D I'm so happy!

Your favourite poetry collection this year? Stiggy’s, here on the forum. Stig writes such a range of compelling poems. I have gone back to them again and again over the year.

I love it that a member of the forum is mentioned in this thread! :cool:

Garth Stein - The Art of Racing in the Rain

I'm thrilled that this books is on your list of the best books that you've read this year! =)

Don Tillman from The Rosie Project.

Oh man, I forgot about Don Tillman. I should really keep a list of characters I like. This is always one of the hardest questions, I never remember anyone in particular no matter how much I love and adore them when reading a particular book.

I'm sorry to hear this  :empathy:  The big D can really eff up one's mojo. I hope you feel better next year and the mojo can return and make up for this year  :empathy:

Mr Pip by Lloyd Jones

Graeme Simsion (The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect)

E.F.Benson (Mapp and Lucia books)

I've read several humorous books this year and I can't really choose one. During a convalescence, I ploughed through the complete Mapp and Lucia series by E.F. Benson and later books by Tom Holt and Guy Fraser-Sampson involving the same characters. All very funny. I'm loving The Diary of a Provincial Lady series by E.M.Delafield, she's a most witty writer. The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect are also wonderfully funny.

Mr Pip was a great book! I read it years ago, based on the recommendations on here. I think it's one of those books that can stand a re-read, most definitely =)I can't believe you've read The Rosie Effect already! When was it released? I'm still waiting in line for a library copy... One day when I was collecting another reserved book that had arrived for me at the library, I saw a copy of TRE: someone else had reserved it, and before me. I wanted to snatch the copy :blush:

I'm glad you enjoyed the Mapp and Lucia books! I've heard great things about them and have them reserved from the library :smile2: I also have The Diary of a Provincial Lady on my wishlist, I think it was chesilbeach's review that made me add it to my list but I'm sure happy to see someone else enjoying the book! =)

The Folio Society edition of Dorothy Sayers's The Nine Tailors. Close runner-up: again an FS cover, this time Possession.

attachicon.gifnine tailors.jpg  attachicon.gifpossession.jpg

I absolutely adore the copy of Possession. It's so incredibly beautiful. It's one of those books that if I had won an 'all you can grab in a minute' ride to a bookshop, I'd try and search for that particular copy! 

Your favourite literary character this year? Mrs. Bennett from Pride & Prejudice. I couldn't help but picture her as my mom. They're both so all over the place and overreact to every little thing, but totally in a loving way. She made me laugh and sometimes I wanted to punch right through the book to hit her. What more could I ask for from a character?

Oh boy :lol: I couldn't imagine a Mrs Bennett as my mother. I'm glad yours goes about in a loving way. 

- Your favourite read of the year?

Had the ending been better, The Rook, by Daniel O'Malley, would have won this for me hands-down.  A great concept, which some very good characters and an intriguing plot, it's just a pity the end kind of cut the legs out from under what had come before.  A sequel that sets up an on-going enemy would be most welcome.

So, my award for the best book I've read this year will therefore have to go to:

Post Office or Factotum by Charles Bukowski.  One is the prequel to the other, so there's not a lot to chose between them, really. Both great books.

- Your favourite author of the year?

A three way tie, for me, between: 

Daniel O'Malley, for The Rook
Charles Bukowski, for Post Office and Factotum and
Jen Williams for The Copper Promise

O'Malley and Williams for creating two very interesting, entertaining and well paced novels and Bukowski for his writing style.

- Your most read author of the year?

It's a three way tie between Mike Gayle, Charles Bukowski & Mark Wallington for me. One of Gayle's and Wallington's were re-reads for me though, so I'd have to go with Bukowski.

- Your favourite book cover of the year?

The Copper Promise, by Jen Williams.  I really like the design of this cover.  Very simple, but very effective.

- The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)?

Star Trek: Forgotten History (A Department of Temporal Investigations novel) by Christopher L. Bennett.  Very poor indeed.

- The book that most disappointed you?

Turning Forty, by Mike Gayle.  Turning Thirty is one of his best books and this was a poor sequel (despite having parts I did like).

- The funniest book of the year?

You're all Just Jealous of my Jetpack, by Tom Gauld. A collection of comic strips by Tom Gauld, but very funny all the same.

- Your favourite literary character this year?

Another tie (but only two way this time!).  This is a toss up between:

Myfanwy Thomas, or Rook Thomas, from The Rook, by Daniel O'Malley.  A great concept; a character who has her mind wiped and who is bought up to speed by, err, herself! (in a series of letters from her pre-wipe self).  It's a long story, go read it! 

and

Henry Chinaski, the semi-auto-biographical character created by Charles Bukowski who drank, bet and slept his way across America (and back again).

- Your favourite children's book this year?

The Ice Dragon, by George R. R. Martin.  It's as close as I came to reading one this year. 

- Your favourite classic of the year?

N/A

- Your favourite non-fiction book this year?

Skunk Works, by Ben R. Rich and Leo Janos. 

- Your favourite biography this year?

Beyond Band of Brothers, by Major Dick Winters. A very good and interesting read.

- Your favourite collection of short stories this year?

N/A

- Your favourite poetry collection this year?

N/A

- Your favourite illustrated book of the year?

The Ice Dragon, by George R. R. Martin.  A nice little book.

- Your favourite publisher of the year?

I really don't pay that much attention to who has published the book I'm reading.

- Your favourite audiobook of the year?

N/A

- Your favourite re-read of the year?

500 Mile Walkies, by Mark Wallington.  I never get tired of this book, despite Triffids being my all-time favourite.

I'm still thinking on some of these, but here's what I have so far:

It's a toss up between The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion, The Dark Age by Jason Gurley or On the Beach by Nevil Shute.

Jason Gurley

Hmm...I've spent the year looking for new authors, so I haven't read more than two or three from any one author. Probably Gurley and Shute are tied? Maybe Gurley had more because I read several of his short stories in addition to a novel or two.

The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg. It's the whole reason I picked up the book.

Anna Karenina. Not because it was rubbish, but because of The Dubliners fiasco. See next question. ;)

The Dubliners by James Joyce. I was about gouging my eyeballs out at the end. I could barely manage to finish it. It's part of what put me off my Places I'd Go Challenge. I could hardly even bear to write the review. It was such a disappointing start. I had Anna Karenina lined up to go next, but it was all too heavy right in a row, even though Karenina is by far better, I just needed something I didn't have to work at all for after the drudgery of The Dubliners, you know?

The Humans by Matt Haig. Hands down.

Don Tilman in The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Gulliver Snip by Julia Kay. It was clever, imaginative and well-written. Every child I read it to loved it. I think children's books are incredibly hard to do well, and I think she did a great job.

Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. It was a multi-time re-read for me, but it's been years. It was so charming!

Mr. Owita's Guide to Gardening. It was very touching, human and introspective.

Actually, I was working as a tutor, and the children's poetry textbook was amazing. It had the most wonderful assortment of poems. I wish I could remember the name...

Not really illustrated, but it has photographs, so does that count? Empty Mansions by Dedman and Newell. It was really interesting to me. As far as illustrations, the children's book A Patch of Black by Rachel Rooney.

Kindle/Amazon because I was able to find so many new authors who weren't available in a regular bookstore.

I can't do audio books. I am very visual and just can't follow, plus they put me to sleep!

I didn't re-read a lot this year; I really tried to read things new to me. I suppose by default I'd have to say Tom Sawyer.

I can't believe you've read The Rosie Effect already! When was it released? I'm still waiting in line for a library copy... One day when I was collecting another reserved book that had arrived for me at the library, I saw a copy of TRE: someone else had reserved it, and before me. I wanted to snatch the copy :blush:

I'm glad you enjoyed the Mapp and Lucia books! I've heard great things about them and have them reserved from the library :smile2: I also have The Diary of a Provincial Lady on my wishlist, I think it was chesilbeach's review that made me add it to my list but I'm sure happy to see someone else enjoying the book! =)

I've got The Rosie Effect on Kindle, but I haven't got very far through yet, I haven't been doing much reading, what with one thing and another :blush2:  But what I've read so far is equally as good as The Rosie Project. 

The Mapp and Lucia series and The Diary of a Provincial Lady are quite old-fashioned books, but very funny in an often acidly witty way. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved them :D