What's Up in December? - 2014

Athena

What's up in December for you? It seems the year has come quick (and in some places maybe pretty slow), it's December already!

This week I plan to have a relatively quiet week, after last week was so busy. I have a few appointments and such but I plan to rest on some of the other days. The read-a-thon is coming up next weekend so I hope to be doing lots of reading then. I also hope to visit the library again next Saturday and become a member. This Friday, it's Sinterklaas in the Netherlands, and my mum had the nice idea to have a special meal with the family (my parents, my brother, my boyfriend and I), so we'll (hopefully) be having a lovely meal then :).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even want to think about it, but my English final is on Friday :hide: I will pass the class, but the exam is key to getting into the next class I need.

Now the school isn't going to give me priority registration for Spring semester because I am only taking one class this semester, I am not considered a full time student.  I have to wait eight days after everyone else for two popular and mandated classes.  This is causing me tremendous grief at the moment, if I don't get them, I have to attend class on the first day and try to add, which is unlikely.  I plan on talking with my teacher about it on Wednesday, as I think he likes me and can help next semester if possible, one of the two classes I want, he teaches.

I finished the Robert Vaughn book, certainly enjoyed it a lot! 

Thanks to Ruth for reminding me of it!  I bought a copy and when I input it to Library Thing, I was told I already had it....... :blush2:  :giggle2:

I'm wondering if you meant for this post to be in the Book Activity thread? I can move the post if you like?

Ouch! That happens to me too on occasion, that I buy a book I already had :blush2:. I'm glad you enjoyed the Robert Vaughn book though :).

Now the school isn't going to give me priority registration for Spring semester because I am only taking one class this semester, I am not considered a full time student.  I have to wait eight days after everyone else for two popular and mandated classes.  This is causing me tremendous grief at the moment, if I don't get them, I have to attend class on the first day and try to add, which is unlikely.  I plan on talking with my teacher about it on Wednesday, as I think he likes me and can help next semester if possible, one of the two classes I want, he teaches.

I hope the situation can be resolved, it seems ridiculous they make you wait :(. You have just as much right as anyone else on the courses :banghead:.

I'm resting from last week that was very busy. In a few days I have an important meeting at the GGZ about my treatment plan, I hope that will go well. I'll also help my mum taking Pamuk, one of the two dogs, to the vet as she needs her yearly vaccination. It's difficult because she's really afraid of the vet. He's a really nice guy. He used to live in the UK! But she's very afraid because I think of what happened in her childhood with strangers. Boris, the other dog, he's not afraid at all, it's a real contrast between the two. Pamuk is usually so afraid she ends up losing some urine in the treatment room :blush2:, I hope she will be okay this time.

I hope everyone has been keeping in good spirits the past couple of months. I still have a great deal of catching up to do on BCF; reading people's personal threads, book journals and whatnot, but I can already see that many of you have been busy.

Athena - do be sure to get plenty of downtime as it reads as though you're still going to be a trifle busy this week. Wishing you the best with your treatment plan. I do hope Pamuk doesn't find himself too traumatized by his visit to the vet.

Pontalba - Oops! Book double up?

Anna - I have my fingers crossed that your teacher will resolve your class issue for you. There are no other options open to you?

December has come around too quickly. This year has flown by in a utter blur.

I'm not quite certain what this December has in store for me; I have no real firm plans beyond this week. After being released last week from a hospital stay (nothing too fussy, just a bout of viral pneumonia--from long work hours in cold and wet, I suspect),like Athena, I'm spending a quiet week this week...a reluctant quiet week. I meant to be resting for the next two weeks, but I hate sitting idle, so no doubt I'll find myself back at work next week lol. And since I'll be sitting around for the next few days I intend to catch up on some reading and my writing. I have two WIPs that are begging for my attention.

I also have the opportunity to go on a date this Friday night. It's a rarity. I haven't been on a date since...I can't even remember when. Not that I'm opposed to dating, it is simply that there isn't an abundance of single males here, and many of those that are available are just not my type. I tend to like the Dr Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds type, quirky, and able to hold an intelligent conversation. Anyway, not sure whether I should go on this date or not...I don't know whether I would hold any real interest for my 'maybe' date.

Edited by Calexa

Anna - I have my fingers crossed that your teacher will resolve your class issue for you. There are no other options open to you?

I tend to like the Dr Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds type, quirky, and able to hold an intelligent conversation. Anyway, not sure whether I should go on this date or not...I don't know whether I would hold any real interest for my 'maybe' date.

:006: Good to see you around!  I was just thinking of you when the Star Wars trailer came out :smile:

Nope, no other options, I was told to "Just take a different class" :censored: I mean, seriously? 

Reid is my TV crush!!  I SO love him.  I need to find my own Dr. Reid!  Go on the date, what do you have to lose?? :smile:

I hope you can get a bit of rest this week :).

Do you know your date? If you don't know him, maybe you should give him a chance, if you feel ready for a relationship :). I have to admit I've never been on a date with a person I didn't know well. With both my ex and with my boyfriend, I became friends with them first and then the friendship became more than that. I've never been on a date for a date's purpose without being in a relationship with my date. So I don't know if my advice will mean anything! You should do what you think is best :).

Nope, no other options, I was told to "Just take a different class" :censored: I mean, seriously?

Are you serious?!?! I can't believe they would just say that :banghead:. What a stupid jerks..

Are you serious?!?! I can't believe they would just say that :banghead:. What a stupid jerks..

Especially since all the classes I need for my major have a prerequisite, for English 1, the class I need in the Spring!

I'm wondering if you meant for this post to be in the Book Activity thread? I can move the post if you like?

Ouch! That happens to me too on occasion, that I buy a book I already had . I'm glad you enjoyed the Robert Vaughn book though :).

I hope the situation can be resolved, it seems ridiculous they make you wait . You have just as much right as anyone else on the courses .

I'm resting from last week that was very busy. In a few days I have an important meeting at the GGZ about my treatment plan, I hope that will go well. I'll also help my mum taking Pamuk, one of the two dogs, to the vet as she needs her yearly vaccination. It's difficult because she's really afraid of the vet. He's a really nice guy. He used to live in the UK! But she's very afraid because I think of what happened in her childhood with strangers. Boris, the other dog, he's not afraid at all, it's a real contrast between the two. Pamuk is usually so afraid she ends up losing some urine in the treatment room :blush2:, I hope she will be okay this time.

Whoops!  Yes, please. :)

Poor Boris.  I've had dogs that wet the floor/table when at the vets, or when they got excited for any reason, good or bad.  It's no big deal to the vets, they're used to it.  Just keep your feet out of the resulting puddle! :D

I hope everyone has been keeping in good spirits the past couple of months. I still have a great deal of catching up to do on BCF; reading people's personal threads, book journals and whatnot, but I can already see that many of you have been busy.

Athena - do be sure to get plenty of downtime as it reads as though you're still going to be a trifle busy this week. Wishing you the best with your treatment plan. I do hope Pamuk doesn't find himself too traumatized by his visit to the vet.

Pontalba - Oops! Book double up?

December has come around too quickly. This year has flown by in a utter blur.

I'm not quite certain what this December has in store for me; I have no real firm plans beyond this week. After being released last week from a hospital stay (nothing too fussy, just a bout of viral pneumonia--from long work hours in cold and wet, I suspect),like Athena, I'm spending a quiet week this week...a reluctant quiet week. I meant to be resting for the next two weeks, but I hate sitting idle, so no doubt I'll find myself back at work next week lol. And since I'll be sitting around for the next few days I intend to catch up on some reading and my writing. I have two WIPs that are begging for my attention.

I also have the opportunity to go on a date this Friday night. It's a rarity. I haven't been on a date since...I can't even remember when. Not that I'm opposed to dating, it is simply that there isn't an abundance of single males here, and many of those that are available are just not my type. I tend to like the Dr Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds type, quirky, and able to hold an intelligent conversation. Anyway, not sure whether I should go on this date or not...I don't know whether I would hold any real interest for my 'maybe' date.

LOL  it's a curse!  But a good one.    :angel_not:

Viral pneumonia can't be fun.  Rest is a healer, as you know.....a pain sometimes though.  But think!, you can catch up on reading.    :cool:

Lets face it, dates are scary.  I hope it goes smoothly for you.  :)

The emoticons removed from this post were not damaged in any way.......:roll::P

I have a sore throat and my nose is stuffy. I hope it is only a common cold. :)

Lucky me. I found a jacket at the LL Bean store in Freeport, Maine that I wanted to get for my wife for Christmas. However, they are all sold out. I have been calling LL Bean every several days to see if they are getting it back in stock but no luck. LL Bean has 22 other stores scattered throughout the U.S.  I checked all their stores and found 3 stores that each had 1 jacket left. The one store said that they had sold theirs. However, (lucky me) there was a store in upper New York that had one jacket on the mannequin as a sample and I bought it. It will ship tomorrow. Woo-Hoo, 2 jackets left in the whole U.S. and I was lucky enough to get one.  :grinhat:  

After being released last week from a hospital stay (nothing too fussy, just a bout of viral pneumonia--from long work hours in cold and wet, I suspect

Anyway, not sure whether I should go on this date or not...I don't know whether I would hold any real interest for my 'maybe' date.

Pneumonia's no trifling matter Calexa, take care and give yourself time to get over it. :empathy:

As far as the date goes .....what have you got to lose?  I think it would be a very uncommon person who didn't find you interesting :smile:

Lucky me. I found a jacket at the LL Bean store in Freeport, Maine that I wanted to get for my wife for Christmas. However, they are all sold out. I have been calling LL Bean every several days to see if they are getting it back in stock but no luck. LL Bean has 22 other stores scattered throughout the U.S.  I checked all their stores and found 3 stores that each had 1 jacket left. The one store said that they had sold theirs. However, (lucky me) there was a store in upper New York that had one jacket on the mannequin as a sample and I bought it. It will ship tomorrow. Woo-Hoo, 2 jackets left in the whole U.S. and I was lucky enough to get one.  :grinhat:  

Hope your cold doesn't come to anything Muggles. That must have been a very special jacket you were after :D

Good to see you around!  I was just thinking of you when the Star Wars trailer came out

Nope, no other options, I was told to "Just take a different class" :censored: I mean, seriously? 

Reid is my TV crush!!  I SO love him.  I need to find my own Dr. Reid!  Go on the date, what do you have to lose??

It really is a comfort to be back, I missed BCF, it is so welcoming, and everyone always has interesting things to read.

Reid has been my TV crush since I was 15, Anna! I would love to have my own Spencer Reid, too. I also really like Matthew Gray Gubler from what I know of him. There is a lot of Matthew in Reid (which is only natural), they're both quirky, left of centre...but I cannot imagine Reid being a top male model as Matthew was before he began acting lol.

Aside from the class being a prerequisite for the next step in the educational pathway you have chosen, it is abhorrent that it 'seems' as though the school views you/your educational pursuits not as valid as others simply because you are only taking one class. I agree with, Athena, stupid jerks. :negative:

The emoticons removed from this post were not damaged in any way....... :roll::P

I can't tell you how much this gave me a giggle, Pontalba. :D

Muggle - Feel better soon. I hope those pesky germs don't get any germier on you. Excellent score on the jacket! So pleased you've come up trumps with your Christmas shopping. :)

Thank you all for the expressed concerns for my health; I am resting, but not working 30+ hour days is sending me a little loopy.

As for the date--I do know the guy that has asked me out, he did the renovations on my cottage. We've interacted on a friendly business basis...which is a much different interaction than going on a date. I guess I'm a little reluctant about saying yes to the date as I cannot understand why he would wish to go on a date with me. He is very outgoing, and confident, and absolutely drop dead gorgeous, which really is of no consequence as I've never put much store in looks, and I, well I am the opposite; I'm shy, socially awkward, and plain old me. I do like that he is intelligent, witty, and honest...but he could ask any girl out and they would say yes. Why me? I'm weird.

I had an absolutely amazing day pretty much just lazing and eating.  :D  After being rudely awoken by the incessant knocking of my brother on my front door, he and I went out for breakfast. We then wasted a couple of hours stroll along the beach doing nothing more that talking of this and that, and acting childish. Then it was a long leisurely lunch (more food!) with a friend whilst we did some planning for her wedding. To top my day off I went and bothered my grandpa at the seafood co-op until his day ended, and enjoyed a rare walk home with him. Now I intend to carry on the theme of the day of being lazy, and eating.

Edited by Calexa

I hope you feel better soon, Muggle!

Thank you all for the expressed concerns for my health; I am resting, but not working 30+ hour days is sending me a little loopy.

As for the date--I do know the guy that has asked me out, he did the renovations on my cottage. We've interacted on a friendly business basis...which is a much different interaction than going on a date. I guess I'm a little reluctant about saying yes to the date as I cannot understand why he would wish to go on a date with me. He is very outgoing, and confident, and absolutely drop dead gorgeous, which really is of no consequence as I've never put much store in looks, and I, well I am the opposite; I'm shy, socially awkward, and plain old me. I do like that he is intelligent, witty, and honest...but he could ask any girl out and they would say yes. Why me? I'm weird.

I had an absolutely amazing day pretty much just lazing and eating.  :D  After being rudely awoken by the incessant knocking of my brother on my front door, he and I went out for breakfast. We then wasted a couple of hours stroll along the beach doing nothing more that talking of this and that, and acting childish. Then it was a long leisurely lunch (more food!) with a friend whilst we did some planning for her wedding. To top my day off I went and bothered my grandpa at the seafood co-op until his day ended, and enjoyed a rare walk home with him. Now I intend to carry on the theme of the day of being lazy, and eating.

Don't put yourself down too much, I am sure you're a lovely person :).

I'm glad you had a great day :)!

Our new internet is online :D! It's faster and smoother than the old one :exc:! The house phones don't work optimally yet but hopefully my dad can fix that.

Calexa it's not for you to question why. He obviously sees and likes something in you. Our view of ourselves is very often different to what others see in us. Good luck if you do go. I hope you have a lovely time. And be confident. (Just keep telling yourself you're awesome - which I am sure you are!!)

Hope your cold doesn't come to anything Muggles. That must have been a very special jacket you were after :D

It was just a normal lightweight jacket for temperatures in the 40 - 50 degree range although they say it is good down to -20 degrees.  LL Bean had a 15% discount on all their merchandise plus I had a $10 gift card so I ended up paying only $135 for it. The color is "Shadow" in a small size, click on the color and size :). See this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83438?feat=504728-GN2&page=women-s-ultralight-850-down-sweater

Edited by muggle not

It was just a normal lightweight jacket for temperatures in the 40 - 50 degree range although they say it is good down to -20 degrees.  LL Bean had a 15% discount on all their merchandise plus I had a $10 gift card so I ended up paying only $135 for it. The color is "Shadow" in a small size, click on the color and size :). See this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83438?feat=504728-GN2&page=women-s-ultralight-850-down-sweater

Very nice! I guess a warm jacket or coat is really important in the US, especially the colder parts. It rarely gets below -7 C or 20 F where I live and that's only after a good frost and then the day warms up.

Went to see War of the Worlds Live with Dale and Xan (Xan was definitely the youngest person I saw there, although I did see a few other kids there, the youngest being maybe about 8 years old - Xan just turned 6 in September). IT. WAS. AWESOME!!! Xan got a little overwhelmed just before it started - I think the anticipation for a whole year, coupled with the arena being huge and everything being right there and him actually being there too, it all got a little too much for him to take, and so there were a few tears for maybe a minute, but as soon as it started, he was in awe (as were Dale and I!). Mam babysat Josh while we were out gallivanting. Had a fantastic evening out and I love that Xan got so much out of it - so glad we took him to see it and that he's just old enough that he'll be able to remember being there. :)

Kell, that sounds beyond marvelous!!  :cool:    What an adventure for all of you!  I looked at their website, and.....amazing!  I wish/hope it would come over here, to the States. 

Gaia, good luck on the appointment!  :empathy: