What's Up in December? - 2014

Athena

I was going to post a few pics up, but I am having trouble doing so. I'll be back!  :blush2:

Good luck! If you need any help feel free to ask :).

My appointment was allright in the end but my psychiatrist didn't show up and my therapist was quite late. I was a bit disappointed the appointment didn't go the way I was expecting (see my Member's thread for more details if you like), I was also home much later than planned.

Tomorrow I'm taking Pamuk (one of our dogs) to the vet for her yearly vaccination and we'll also do some food shopping. In the afternoon I plan on reading (the read-a-thon) and making some pepernoten, traditional candy for Sinterklaas (December 5th which is tomorrow). I haven't made them myself before (only with my mum when I was a child) so I hope they will turn out allright. Tomorrow evening I'll have a nice meal with my parents, my brother and my boyfriend.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow I'm taking Pamuk (one of our dogs) to the vet for her yearly vaccination and we'll also do some food shopping. In the afternoon I plan on reading (the read-a-thon) and making some pepernoten, traditional candy for Sinterklaas (December 5th which is tomorrow). I haven't made them myself before (only with my mum when I was a child) so I hope they will turn out allright. Tomorrow evening I'll have a nice meal with my parents, my brother and my boyfriend.

Aw- give that sweetheart cuddles for me on the way there, I hope she doesn't get too afraid.  And do I wish you a Happy Sinterklaas?

Today and is the big day!!  I have my class final today :unsure: I am nervous!

Good luck!! I'll be thinking of you!!

The visit to the vet went better than I expected. Pamuk didn't pee and while she was a bit shaky it was not as bad as the last few times. I'm very proud of her, she did great!

We'll have our Sinterklaas dinner later today. I'm looking forward to it!

I did make 'pepernoten' but unfortunately they didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. Somehow the recipe was incomplete in ingredients and the candy stayed too long in the oven apparently. My boyfriend likes the chewyness but my mum and I find the pepernoten too hard to eat really :(.

Thanks for all the good wishes!  I think it went well, I will know for sure Tuesday or Thursday.  The topic essay was on Online Voting.  Which was an easy one!  Our practice ones were MUCH harder!

I haven't been very active on here of late, but life has of course still gone on (which is of course why I haven't been on here a lot). One of the more interesting things is that after much deliberation, and prompted by a few recent sales, I have begun work on a rewrite of the book that I first published 8 years ago. It will be a mammoth task (the original took 5 years to complete) and I am at the moment wading what seems like mountains of articles and books about human evolution, a subject that I find absolutely fascinating.

The other thing that has happened is that I am considering once again changing jobs. Not moving to a different company, but rather a different role within the same company. The Manager at one of the Supported Living Units has suggested, in fact strongly recommended that I apply for a job as Support Worker working alongside her. She has noticed how I respond to the clients, and how well they in turn respond to me and feels that this is the next step as it were in my own evolution. I am inclined to agree, but am hesitating due to the fear of it not working out, but also because of the responsibility, as it would be a very big change - basically supporting and mentoring the clients to become as independent as possible. She has made it very clear that she will support me all the way if I choose to go down this route, and that by itself means an awful lot. I have spoken to HR and got a job description which is I guess the first step. I have though a very important decision to make between now and Christmas that could potentially change everything.      

Edited by Talisman

Thanks for all the good wishes!  I think it went well, I will know for sure Tuesday or Thursday.  The topic essay was on Online Voting.  Which was an easy one!  Our practice ones were MUCH harder!

I'm glad you have a 'good feeling about it' :) (that's how we say it in Dutch). 

I haven't been very active on here of late, but life has of course still gone on (which is of course why I haven't been on here a lot). One of the more interesting things is that after much deliberation, and prompted by a few recent sales, I have begun work on a rewrite of the book that I first published 8 years ago. It will be a mammoth task (the original took 5 years to complete) and I am at the moment wading what seems like mountains of articles and books about human evolution, a subject that I find absolutely fascinating.

The other thing that has happened is that I am considering once again changing jobs. Not moving to a different company, but rather a different role within the same company. The Manager at one of the Supported Living Units has suggested, in fact strongly recommended that I apply for a job as Support Worker working alongside her. She has noticed how I respond to the clients, and how well they in turn respond to me and feels that this is the next step as it were in my own evolution. I am inclined to agree, but am hesitating due to the fear of it not working out, but also because of the responsibility, as it would be a very big change - basically supporting and mentoring the clients to become as independent as possible. She has made it very clear that she will support me all the way if I choose to go down this route, and that by itself means an awful lot. I have spoken to HR and got a job description which is I guess the first step. I have though a very important decision to make between now and Christmas that could potentially change everything.

Good luck with your rewrite!

Exciting news about the possibility of another type of job.. it will be a tough decision for you but I hope whatever you choose will work out for you :).

Good luck with your results, Anna.

Hope all is well with you, Athena, and you're looking to your health.

Having a book published is quite an accomplishment, Talisman, and to tackle a rewrite is indeed no small task...best wishes, and happy writing thoughts to you. What a wonderful and exciting job opportunity. Though a job with large responsibilities, I would think it would be hugely rewarding. Helping people as DSW to become independent is not only admirable, but a much needed asset to the community.

Sickness leave is over for me...as of yesterday...and 3 O'clock in the morning it's back to the long hours grind as I'm headed back to sea for a couple of days. I must admit that I'm happy to be back working, I loathe sitting idle.

Keep well everyone. :smile:

Sickness leave is over for me...as of yesterday...and 3 O'clock in the morning it's back to the long hours grind as I'm headed back to sea for a couple of days. I must admit that I'm happy to be back working, I loathe sitting idle.

Good luck with your work :)!

I'm quite exhausted from the last few weeks and am slowly recovering from it. I had an appointment with Ilse today (the ambulante help) which was good and helpful and spent quite some time writing my reviews for all the books I read recently. I still feel very tired but I'm glad I feel a bit better than this morning and yesterday, at least. I might get more tired though as the day passes (that usually happens). Tonight we'll probably have dinner with my brother as he's coming home for a few hours to prepare a 'surprise' (it's a Sinterklaas thing) for someone.

Good luck with your rewrite!

Exciting news about the possibility of another type of job.. it will be a tough decision for you but I hope whatever you choose will work out for you :).

I have managed to get most of the first chapter done and will no doubt write some more this weekend. 

As for the job, I have made my decision, and I am going to go for it ! I have worked in this industry for 5 1/2 years now, 4 1/2 of those years in care and nursing homes for the elderly. I thought that was all that the care sector was, and as I knew that I didn't want to spend my time wiping bums and so on, decided to stick at housekeeping as that way I could still make a difference without being directly involved in the care side and all the legalities of it all. When I though came here to my current job 9 months ago, I realised that actually it is not all about the elderly - there are all different types of people that need help - most of our clients have physical or learning disabilities - some are also on the autistic spectrum. Although we do have a 17 bed care home on the site, most of our clients have their own flats and need support (mentoring almost) rather than care, which is a very different thing. Those who need care cannot do things for themselves, but those who need support just need a bit of help to be more independent and find out more about who they are.   

I have been thinking about this for a long time (more or less since I started here) but didn't have the confidence to do anything about it. I needed that extra push, and that Manager encouraging me to apply, in fact actively suggesting it, has given me the push that I needed. That is a real endorsement. The clients know me and respond to me, and it feels like the right thing to do.  I know that I don't want to spend the rest of my life cleaning toilets, so I therefore have to take this opportunity or at least try otherwise I will just end up regretting it. If it doesn't work out or if they decide that it isn't right for me, and say no, then at least I know that I have given it my best shot and I won't have lost anything. 

That sounds like the right thing to do, June.  I'm glad you're taking the leap of faith. :)  Caring people are at a minimum in that field, and I'm sure you'll make a difference. 

Good luck on both the new position and the revamping of your book.

I got my classes :jump: despite not being able to register until 9 days after the rest of the school!  I will be taking Algebra (save me) and another English course, they both come with Labs, so it's more like 4 classes than 2.  I can't believe I got them!

I got my classes :jump: despite not being able to register until 9 days after the rest of the school!  I will be taking Algebra (save me) and another English course, they both come with Labs, so it's more like 4 classes than 2.  I can't believe I got them!

Congratulations :D! And good luck!

I plan to rest a lot today and do some reading. I'm currently busy typing my greatgrandfather's diary written copy into a document on the computer, so it's digitised and multiple people in my family will be able to read it. I've never known him as he died before I was born, but I did know my greatgrandmother and I do know my grandmother. It's touching to read the diary, I really feel for him.

Edited by Athena

Grades just came in for my class- I passed!  :exc: Other than a Speech class when I worked in radio, this is my first passed College course!  I got the highest grade on my final and it was judged by two professors!  Woohoo!  I am so excited!  Spring semester starts January 12th through May 20th!  :exc:

Grades just came in for my class- I passed!  :exc: Other than a Speech class when I worked in radio, this is my first passed College course!  I got the highest grade on my final and it was judged by two professors!  Woohoo!  I am so excited!  Spring semester starts January 12th through May 20th!  :exc:

Fantastic news!  First you get the classes you want/need, then this ^^^^.  Very happy for you, Anna! :friends3:

I'm very happy for you :friends0:!! Well done :D!!

Good luck with your new job endeavour! I hope it will work out and be work you enjoy :). From what I know of you, I think you'd be quite good at it, if I may say so :).

That sounds like the right thing to do, June.  I'm glad you're taking the leap of faith. :)  Caring people are at a minimum in that field, and I'm sure you'll make a difference. 

Good luck on both the new position and the revamping of your book.

Thank you. To me this is not about the extra money (although it will be a 2.5K pay rise) but about helping others to evolve, knowing that by doing that, I am also helping myself to do the same. Because I am already working here, it seems that there is no need for a formal application, rather just a written statement as to why I think I am suitable. I have written the first paragraph at least, but as we out tonight for our Mindfulness class, will have to work on the rest over the next few days. It has been difficult keeping it to myself, but I know that it is best to, as people there do talk and I don't want it to go round until I am ready to tell my own boss. I have my appraisal next week, so that seems to be the right time to do it then. Hopefully my application will be in by then, and I don't want to tell him before then.

Edited by Talisman

Congratulations, way to go! Do you now have some time off where you can maybe read a book or two. :)

Congratulations!!!! :yahoo: Great news for your Spring semester too :boogie:

You know it's nearing the festive season when the double issue of the Radio Times thumps on the door mat this morning!! :exc: Woo hoo - a Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife specials on Christmas Day  :grinhat:

We drove to Washington, DC for our 6 mo. doctor's check-up. After the check-up we drove to Charlottesville (on the way home) and spent the night in a hotel and had a really nice dinner (I had lamb chops and my wife had sautéed shrimp) We went to a dental appointment in Charlottesville the next day. The dental office was in a festive décor with decorations and a Christmas tree and Christmas music playing. While I was getting my teeth cleaned the song let It Snow was playing and I heard one of the staff singing along to the song....very nice. The dental hygienist who was cleaning my teeth told me that Mrs. John Grisham was in recently for her appointment.

when finished with the dentist we drove over the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Shenandoah Valley to buy our Christmas Poinsettia. It was sunny and temp in the mid 40's when we started up the mountain and about a third of the way up it started to rain. About two thirds up it started to snow and by the time we got to the top it was a blizzard. We made it down the mountain ok and went to the greenhouse in the Shenandoah Valley.

Attached are two pictures from the parking lot of the greenhouse. The first picture was taken when we arrived and the second was taken prior to leaving the greenhouse. Notice the fog and it was snowing towards the mountain and in the second photo it was clearing.

I will attaché other pictures later.....of in the greenhouse and the return trip back up the mountain. :)

Edited by muggle not