Your Book Activity - December 2014

Athena

Ooh, I have this on my TBR pile, so I'll be interested to see how you enjoy it by the end. Like you, I also haven't heard many others mention it. I don't think I bought it on a recommendation; I think I just saw it and thought it sounded intriguing. :)

So far it is intruiging, I'll let you know what I think when I've finished it :).

It's technically still December, right? Last night I bought a copy of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. Pontalba had recommended it ages ago, but I hadn't gotten around to reading it until now. I saw it in the Kindle store for 99¢; who could pass that up? I'm so glad to be reading it though; it's quite clever.

I hope you enjoy it :)!

Today I've been working on my summary for my reading in 2014 (statistics and reflection). I haven't actually done any reading in my book. But I'm almost finished with the reading reflection..

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latter is not a bad thing :D. It was nice to see you around more on the forum :).

It was, but not anymore? :blush::lol:

Ooh, I have this on my TBR pile, so I'll be interested to see how you enjoy it by the end. Like you, I also haven't heard many others mention it. I don't think I bought it on a recommendation; I think I just saw it and thought it sounded intriguing. :)

I borrowed the book once, when I was working at the library. It sounded very intriguing but I never managed to start reading it.

:D

Have you nicked onto Book Bub?  They have some good deals.

Oh brilliant! Have just logged in, and it seems like a good way of seeing all the deals in one place. :D

I'm reading Wuthering Heights for the first time as well! I've been wanting to reading it for a long time and I finally motivated myself to do it. I hope you're enjoying it! :D

I've just finished it (my final book for 2014), and I'm not sure what I thought about it. I pretty much hated all of the characters, and I'm surprised by how vile everyone was! Are you enjoying it?

I've just set up my Book Blog for 2015, and one of the things I want to do is read more tree-books this year. So looking through the list I've decided to start with Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Heard plenty of good things about it. :readingtwo:

I've just finished it (my final book for 2014), and I'm not sure what I thought about it. I pretty much hated all of the characters, and I'm surprised by how vile everyone was! Are you enjoying it?

I am really enjoying it, but I also happen to like vile and evil characters because it sparks a curiosity for how they got that way. I'm 70% done according to kindle, so I might not have all the facts but

I think that Heathcliff's terrible and vile ways were all caused by the way he was treated immediately after Mr. Earnshaw's death. An interesting case of nature vs. nurture. From that point on he was ridiculed all the time and was even prevented from marrying his true love. He thought that if he got rich and became a gentleman that he could win back Catherine, but that wasn't the case. From then on it was just a slippery slope.

I detested, hated, even............may I say loathed Wuthering Heights.  Nothing but treachery, meanness and stupidity in the way anyone acted nine tenths of the time.  In one sense I'd like to reread to see if it was truly as awful as I thought, but why torture myself. 

I read something, somewhere in a Galaxy far, far away that if a reader loved Jane Eyre, they'd dislike (at the least) Wuthering Heights

Yup, thass me!

Not sure what my next read will be.  I've already started and discarded one.........:roll::lol:

I've just finished the first Harry Potter book and am going to start the second. I've tried reading these before (because I love the films) but never get very far. First one went down pretty well this time though, so here's hoping I make it past my record of book 2 and actually get onto the good stuff in book 3 :)

I read something, somewhere in a Galaxy far, far away that if a reader loved Jane Eyre, they'd dislike (at the least) Wuthering Heights

Doesn't work for me. I loved both. :D

I'm reading Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist, which I enjoy while I am reading, but forget what I've read after I've put it down...

I really disliked this (to put it mildly). I wish I could have forgotten it when I put it down! Unfortunately I can still remember too much of it quite a few years later. :(

I've just finished the first Harry Potter book and am going to start the second. I've tried reading these before (because I love the films) but never get very far. First one went down pretty well this time though, so here's hoping I make it past my record of book 2 and actually get onto the good stuff in book 3 :)

Glad to hear you've gotten off to a better start. Here's hoping it keeps going well.  :gl: I think I was up to book 4 before I really started getting into it.

It was, but not anymore? :blush::lol:

:blush::lol: it still is! 

I hope you enjoy all the books!

I read something, somewhere in a Galaxy far, far away that if a reader loved Jane Eyre, they'd dislike (at the least) Wuthering Heights.

Hmmmm. Loved them both, just like Kylie! But I'm likely to be biased, as live only a few miles away, and see those moors on my way to work every day.

Edited by willoyd

I really disliked this (to put it mildly). I wish I could have forgotten it when I put it down! Unfortunately I can still remember too much of it quite a few years later. :(

I think it was your strong opinion on it that made me curious!

Doesn't work for me. I loved both. :D

Hmmmm. Loved them both, just like Kylie! But I'm likely to be biased, as live only a few miles away, and see those moors on my way to work every day.

:D  See?  That is what makes book forums, such as this one, so very interesting.  Such varying opinions, and no muss, no fuss.

I love it! :readingtwo:  :cool: