Your Book Activity - December 2014

Athena

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how are you enjoying your life as a movie? 

:giggle2:I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist :rolleyes::D

I think I make a typo in every single post I type, but I manage to catch most of them before hitting the 'Post' button. Life as a movie is great thanks :P

Edited by Brian.

I think I make a typo in every single post I type, but I manage to catch most of them before hitting the 'Post' button. Life as a movie is great thanks :P

Haha, glad to hear it :giggle2: Usually your posts are very immaculate, so I had to have my bit of fun :blush: 

Really enjoying it so far! Went through a non reading phase, but this novel is definitely making the list of books I enjoy! 

I'm thrilled to hear this!! :exc: I hope it continues to be as good as it's been for you so far, and even better. And I hope it gives a good kick to the old mojo to behave and get into the groove again :D 

My book activity for the last month (really) has been practically nil, for me that is.  Just mucking about in many books, not sticking with anything much.  We've been immersed in watching the five series of the original Upstairs, Downstairs.  Just finished it last night.

So, still reading The Polish Boxer, et als. :)

:lol: I bet you will end up with at least 50 new Kindle books by the end of the 12 day period :giggle2:

I'm not doing too bad actually. :boogie: They don't seem to be adding new books every day (except for the usual Daily Deal) like they did last year. They put all 960-odd books out on the first day. Shame really, as I always look forward to looking through a new list every day. :readingtwo:

I just put down The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. It is a wonderful tale. Review to come...

I'm glad you enjoyed this :)!

I haven't yet started a new book. I haven't really felt like reading in the past two weeks. I have some library books due soon though, so I'll give things a try, but I don't quite feel like it all that much to be honest.

Getting a bit stuck with 'Lake of Dreams' so picked up another book I had on the TBR pile.....Cauldstane by Linda Gillard, which I know will be a good read.

Edited by Inver

It was a tie with The Humans for me on the BCF Awards thread :smile: It was also my best book of the year til viciously unseated by An Abundance of Katherines a week or so ago.  :giggle2:

You are on a roll of good books at the moment  :smile:  :readingtwo:

I started Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It's going quite quickly, and I'm loving it so far.

Glad to see you enjoyed TOatE  :smile: , that one is on my 'hopefully to be read soon' list  :giggle2:

I finally finished The World without Us by Alan Weisman. Terrific book.

Had a browse at this book at Amazon, and it's very intriguing... sadly my local library doesn't have a copy of that one, but Weisman's Countdown (sort of similar content) is, so that's one to read soon. :smile:

Glad to see you enjoyed TOatE :smile: , that one is on my 'hopefully to be read soon' list :giggle2:

It really had that whimsical, yet dark, sort of quality that Gaiman does so well. Ethereal? Maybe that's the word I'm looking for? At any rate, it went very quickly for me. So enjoyable!

I'm now reading a book called Every Day is a Holiday by George Manhood. It's written in a very colloquial style. I find it to be quite funny so far; I like a good laugh from time to time!

Edited by dtrpath27

I'm not doing too bad actually. :boogie: They don't seem to be adding new books every day (except for the usual Daily Deal) like they did last year. They put all 960-odd books out on the first day. Shame really, as I always look forward to looking through a new list every day. :readingtwo:

Aww, that's a shame. But it might be a good thing in the end. It won't you back too much financially. There's always next year and next sale and new books! :smile2: 960 books, though? That's a long list to go over, too tempting! I think I'm glad I don't own a Kindle :D

I haven't done much reading in the past few days. I was having way too much fun being on the forum yesterday :D 

:D 

Have you nicked onto Book Bub?  They have some good deals.

Glad to see you enjoyed TOatE  :smile: , that one is on my 'hopefully to be read soon' list  :giggle2:

Had a browse at this book at Amazon, and it's very intriguing... sadly my local library doesn't have a copy of that one, but Weisman's Countdown (sort of similar content) is, so that's one to read soon. :smile:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is on my 'hopefully to be read soon' list as well. :D

I have Countdown on my wishlist and definitely plan to read it one day. :)

I haven't done much reading in the past few days. I was having way too much fun being on the forum yesterday  :D

It's so good to have you back!  :friends3:

** A lot of these posts are old, but I just caught up reading this thread and there was a lot I wanted to say  :exc:

I finished Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult. I enjoyed the first half, but the second half was a bit difficult. They almost read like two different books. No idea what to read next, but I'm sure I'll find something. 

I thoroughly enjoyed that book; like all her books, it really made me think. I do agree that the second half was very different, but I enjoyed that part too  :D

I have put down A Burnable Book by Bruce Holsinger - just wasn't grabbing me I'm afraid.

I've now started Game Of Thrones by George R R Martin, and given the busy time of year that should keep me busy for a while!

GoT takes FOREVER to get through, but its so worth it. Not a single page of the probably 4,000+ is boring. Hope you like(d) it!! 

Yesterday I finished All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot.  I thought it was the main Counties Challenge book for North Yorkshire but it's the alternative for those who have already read Dracula (which I haven't yet). I guess that doesn't matter though. 

I have now started my annual re-read of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  One of my favourite books ever!

I have seven paper versions of it but am actually reading it on my Kindle! 

11ChristmasClassic_zpsc0e44aa1.jpg

This is my dad's favorite book and he does the same thing every year. I think I might adopt this tradition  :blush2:

I started yet another book and now I have three books on the go :blush: I started Looking for Alaska last night in bed and read 200 pages straight :o I'm really liking it! I didn't know what it was about beforehand and wasn't all that interested, because somehow it always made me think of Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer and that always makes me sad. But the book has nothing to do with that But I'm getting to the latter part of the book, in fact I finished reading when the second section started and I'm worried. Mighty, mighty worried

:exc: I hope you liked Looking for Alaska!!!! It was my favorite of his books, which is hard considering I love them all 

Loved John Green's Looking for Alaska...and pretty much all John Green's books (An Abundance of Katherines is my fave.) except oddly A Fault in Our Stars.

The Bell Jar would be a great choice.

I started reading The Narrative of John Smith by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle whilst I was away. I have always wanted to read Arthur Conan Doyle first novel from the moment I learned of it; such a far cry from Sherlock Holmes. So far The Narrative of John Smith does not disappoint. I find the themes within the narrative quite interesting.

I agree about TFIOS, it was not great in my opinion. The story was good, characters were good, but it just didn't do it for me. I prefer the other three that I've read (Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, and An Abundance of Katherines)

Thanks, I'm sure I will! 

Thanks - I'm quite happy with my haul.   Burial Rites sounded interesting. I hadn't heard of it before but it caught my eye straightway.

I've started reading Wuthering Heights, which has been on my TBR pile for a long time. Good so far!

I'm reading Wuthering Heights for the first time as well! I've been wanting to reading it for a long time and I finally motivated myself to do it. I hope you're enjoying it! :D

It's so good to have you back!  :friends3:

I could say the same thing: It's been so wonderful having you back here a lot more these days! I've missed my forum-Kylie!!  :kissing:  It's so much more fun now that you're back!!  :flowers2:

:exc: I hope you liked Looking for Alaska!!!! It was my favorite of his books, which is hard considering I love them all 

I did enjoy Looking for Alaska, yes. A lot more than I thought I would! It was a really pleasant surprise :yes:

Still reading the Finnish book. It's actually amusing that it's about a group of Finns celebrating Midsummer in Italy. Couldn't be much further from the reality of the time and place I'm reading the book in :D

Edited by frankie

I haven't done much reading in the past few days. I was having way too much fun being on the forum yesterday :D

The latter is not a bad thing :D. It was nice to see you around more on the forum :)

Have you nicked onto Book Bub?  They have some good deals.

I agree!

I've started to read Charles Yu - How to Life Safely in a Science Fictional Universe, which I borrowed from the library and is due in a few days. I'm about half way through, it's only 233 pages and I managed to read quite a bit in it later in the day yesterday. So far it's interesting, though quite different from most science-fiction books I've read. There are some interesting concepts in it, and sometimes it's a bit mind boggling. But I'm enjoying it :). It's also nice to read a book that I didn't have much expectations of, because I hadn't heard anything about it or knew anything of it. I mean, it's not surrounded by hype or recommended by a lot of people. Anyway.. so far it's interesting and enjoyable, so I look forward to see where the story goes.

Still reading The Shell Collector - 71% so far  :smile: .

Bought the e-book of Chris Riddell's Goth Girl and the Fete(sic)Worse Then Death and the illustrations are soooo beautiful, and the plot hilarious too  :D

I've started to read Charles Yu - How to Life Safely in a Science Fictional Universe, which I borrowed from the library and is due in a few days. I'm about half way through, it's only 233 pages and I managed to read quite a bit in it later in the day yesterday. So far it's interesting, though quite different from most science-fiction books I've read. There are some interesting concepts in it, and sometimes it's a bit mind boggling. But I'm enjoying it :). It's also nice to read a book that I didn't have much expectations of, because I hadn't heard anything about it or knew anything of it. I mean, it's not surrounded by hype or recommended by a lot of people. Anyway.. so far it's interesting and enjoyable, so I look forward to see where the story goes.

Ooh, I have this on my TBR pile, so I'll be interested to see how you enjoy it by the end. Like you, I also haven't heard many others mention it. I don't think I bought it on a recommendation; I think I just saw it and thought it sounded intriguing. :)

It's technically still December, right? Last night I bought a copy of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. Pontalba had recommended it ages ago, but I hadn't gotten around to reading it until now. I saw it in the Kindle store for 99¢; who could pass that up? I'm so glad to be reading it though; it's quite clever.