Your Book Activity - December 2014

Athena

Completed Behind The Beautiful Forevers whilst sat up in bed this morning (we broke up yesterday, so revelling in the gentle start to the day!). I can see why it's received such good reviews, almost universally, but I have to say that, however much I admire the work that went into it and the quality of the reportage, I just couldn't get on with it, found it a real struggle to keep going to the end, and sighed with big relief on finishing.

I started The Nine Tailors yesterday, a reread from some years ago for my English Counties Challenge, although am keen to get stuck into a slim history volume on the Battle of Waterloo (The Longest Afternoon) which I might slip in first.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completed Behind The Beautiful Forevers whilst sat up in bed this morning (we broke up yesterday, so revelling in the gentle start to the day!).

As someone whose first language isn't English, what do you mean by "broke up"? I hope you're not into any relationship issues you didn't want to have :(.

I'm still reading My True Love Gave to Me, I should have it finished within a few days depending on how much I read. I find the stories (12 in total) are really a mixed bag, some I really love, and some I really don't like at all.

Willoyd means his school term ended for the holidays so he's finished for Christmas - although I guess he might have some marking to do?!

Correct on all counts Alexi!!  Worry ye not Athena - I've been happily married for some 30+ years now, and intend to stay that way!  Sorry to be so obscure - too used to 'school speak', especially as OH works in schools too.  There is a particular pleasure appreciated by all those who work in schools,whether you love it or hate it (and I love it), of waking up on the first morning after a term ends, and realising, however much marking, planning or other admin there is to do, that you can actually organise your time in your own way, a feeling that no other job I've had has induced in quite the same way!

On the book front, I did slip in The Longest Afternoon, which I finished this evening.  Cracking read too.

Edited by willoyd

Correct on all counts Alexi!!  Worry ye not Athena - I've been happily married for some 30+ years now, and intend to stay that way!  Sorry to be so obscure - too used to 'school speak', especially as OH works in schools too.  There is a particular pleasure appreciated by all those who work in schools,whether you love it or hate it (and I love it), of waking up on the first morning after a term ends, and realising, however much marking, planning or other admin there is to do, that you can actually organise your time in your own way, a feeling that no other job I've had has induced in quite the same way!

On the book front, I did slip in The Longest Afternoon, which I finished this evening.  Cracking read too.

That makes sense, thanks Willoyd and Alexi :)!.

I read Hugh Howey - Glitch and started Tais Teng - Cepheïde (library loan), a (Dutch) collection of short science-fiction stories mostly written in the 80's I believe. I quite liked the first story, wasn't too interested in the second. We'll see.

I am struggling to finish The Book Of Life by Deborah Harkness. However, I read the first two books in the trilogy and would like to finish the third book.

I have "Unbroken" on hold at the library and am anxious to read the book. My wife told me that it was terrific. I think that the movie may be a huge hit.

I've started on Rainbow Rowell's Attachments last night, got really into the Sample and went for it.  But today, I plan on listening to my new audio of Tim Curry narrating A Christmas Carol, on Immersion Reading, while I am wrapping presents :)

I have "Unbroken" on hold at the library and am anxious to read the book. My wife told me that it was terrific. I think that the movie may be a huge hit.

I can't believe you haven't read this before!!  It is SO good.  I read it, in 2012, read it again the next day and then read it last year again.  Louis Zamperini was an amazing and extraordinary man.  After everything he lived through, I wish he would've lived to see this movie.

Edited by Anna Begins

I've started on Rainbow Rowell's Attachments last night, got really into the Sample and went for it.  

I hope you enjoy it! :smile2: 

I'm still reading The Man In My Basement by Walter Mosley, but I'm losing interest in it. Too many distractions, not enough alone-time for reading it.  :irked:

I hope you enjoy it! :smile2:

Thanks!  Just finished A Christmas Carol and am now going to get back to Attachments.

I'm about halfway through Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh. I've got a feeling that I have read this book before but never recorded it, I'm pretty certain that I'll have finished it by tomorrow.

:006:

Finished (thankfully, at last :sarcastic: ) Barbara Trapido's The Travelling Hornplayer. I should try to carry on with Margaret Atwood's Lady Oracle....but I am not in the mood for it really.... more likely to start on Hugh Howey's The Shell Collector  :smile: . 

Raced through Muriel Spark's The Ballad of Peckham Rye yesterday and today in a couple of sittings. Definitely one of the more quirky reads of the year. I have a real soft spot for this lean style of writing espoused by the likes of Spark and Beryl Bainbridge. Equally, if in somewhat different styles, Georges Simenon and Virginia Woolf. Either that or the complete opposite: big, meaty, Victorian style fiction.

More than half way through Ken Follett's "Fall of Giants." I get entrenched in it every time I open it up.

I am so pleased to hear this!  Next year, I plan on either World Without End or Fall of Giants so I am glad FoG is good!  Pillars of the Earth was the same for me, I got enchanted with his world every time I read it.  It was hefty, but it went really well- I think I finished it in a week!

Finished (thankfully, at last :sarcastic: ) Barbara Trapido's The Travelling Hornplayer. I should try to carry on with Margaret Atwood's Lady Oracle....but I am not in the mood for it really.... more likely to start on Hugh Howey's The Shell Collector  :smile: . 

I hope you like The Shell Collector!  Props to you for even reading Lady Oracle!

:006:

:harhar:

I read a bit more of Peace is Every Step this afternoon and have also read about 25% of Smarter Investing (3rd Ed) by Tim Hales. Smarter Investing has already taught me more in a few hours than I have managed to learn all year about investing and investment products. I've been thinking about what my aims for 2015 are going to be so I'll be creating the thread in the coming week or so. I really look forward to the start of the year as it always feels like a fresh start.

I finally ginished The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness. I will give it a rating of 3.5/5. The last third of the book picked up the pace and was much better than the first two thirds. This completes the trilogy.

Now I will pick up reading The Escape by David Baldacci. it is currently rated #1 in the U.S.

Edited by muggle not

I'm now reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. Good so far, with just the right amount of quirky. :readingtwo:

That's great to hear! I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books (loved them) but I haven't yet read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, I'd be happy to hear what you think of it once you've finished it.

More than half way through Ken Follett's "Fall of Giants." I get entrenched in it every time I open it up.

That's great to hear! I plan to read a Ken Follett book next year.

I finally ginished The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness. I will give it a rating of 3.5/5. The last third of the book picked up the pace and was much better than the first two thirds. This completes the trilogy.

Now I will pick up reading The Escape by David Baldacci. it is currently rated #1 in the U.S.

I'm glad you liked the third book. I'm waiting for the paperback release and then will read the whole trilogy. I hope you enjoy The Escape :).

I haven't read at all the past two days :(. I don't know, I don't feel as much in the mood maybe, and there are a lot of other things to do. I do hope to read some more soon, because I need to return Tais Teng - Cepheïde to the library soon.

I started yet another book and now I have three books on the go :blush: I started Looking for Alaska last night in bed and read 200 pages straight :o I'm really liking it! I didn't know what it was about beforehand and wasn't all that interested, because somehow it always made me think of Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer and that always makes me sad. But the book has nothing to do with that :D But I'm getting to the latter part of the book, in fact I finished reading when the second section started and I'm worried. Mighty, mighty worried :hide: