Your Book Activity - December 2014

Athena

I've abandoned George R. R. Martin - The Tales of Dunk and Egg 2: Een Eed van Trouw (The Sworn Sword) as I was really not enjoying it :(.

I think I'm soon going to start Chrissie Manby - The Christmas List, a Christmas novella on my Kindle.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have put down A Burnable Book by Bruce Holsinger - just wasn't grabbing me I'm afraid.

I've now started Game Of Thrones by George R R Martin, and given the busy time of year that should keep me busy for a while!

I've now started Game Of Thrones by George R R Martin, and given the busy time of year that should keep me busy for a while!

I hope you enjoy it :).

I started Chrissie Manby - The Christmas List and so far it's enjoyable.

In other book / writing related news, my grandfather has copied, in writing, the diary of my greatgrandfather (grandma's father I believe). I have been given the copy so I can type it on the computer so my grandparents can give multiple family members a copy. The diary starts in 1944, during the second World War. My greatgrandfather was taken by the Germans to Germany. It should be interesting to read what he wrote in his diary.

EDIT: Wow.. it's quite touching. The poor man and his family :(. I have never known him, he died way before I was born. I did however know my greatgrandmother and I know my grandmother. It's one thing reading a fictional war story but it's a whole other thing to read a true account of someone in your family.

Edited by Athena

I started the short story by Hugh Howey, Peace in Amber: The World of Kurt Vonnegut.

Ooh, that sounds interesting!

In other book / writing related news, my grandfather has copied, in writing, the diary of my greatgrandfather (grandma's father I believe). I have been given the copy so I can type it on the computer so my grandparents can give multiple family members a copy. The diary starts in 1944, during the second World War. My greatgrandfather was taken by the Germans to Germany. It should be interesting to read what he wrote in his diary.

EDIT: Wow.. it's quite touching. The poor man and his family :(. I have never known him, he died way before I was born. I did however know my greatgrandmother and I know my grandmother. It's one thing reading a fictional war story but it's a whole other thing to read a true account of someone in your family.

That sounds like a really interesting read, Gaia, but also very harrowing and sad. :( I can't imagine what it would be like to read a first-hand account of such a terrible time by my own family member.  :empathy:

I've been really busy with work but have still managed to read two-thirds of Hercule Poirot's Christmas. Agatha Christie's writing is so easy that the pages simply fly by. :) Maybe I should book myself a cabin down in the snow next winter and hole up with a huge bunch of Agatha Christie novels (goodness knows that I've got enough to keep me going for a while, even considering how fast I read them).

I've also been busy editing a very interesting paper on feminism. Power to women, yeah! Now that I'm feeling all feminist-like, maybe I should read Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch next... :)

I've been really busy with work but have still managed to read two-thirds of Hercule Poirot's Christmas. Agatha Christie's writing is so easy that the pages simply fly by. :) Maybe I should book myself a cabin down in the snow next winter and hole up with a huge bunch of Agatha Christie novels (goodness knows that I've got enough to keep me going for a while, even considering how fast I read them).

I've also been busy editing a very interesting paper on feminism. Power to women, yeah! Now that I'm feeling all feminist-like, maybe I should read Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch next... :)

I'm glad you're saying her writing flies by, that's good to hear :). Yay for feminism!

Today I read Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic: Shopaholic on Honeymoon (quite nice) and I made progress in Chrissie Manby - The Christmas List which I'll probably finish later today or tomorrow.

I recently bought The Escape by David Baldacci but have put in on hold after reading about 9 chapters. The reason for putting it on hold is that another book by Baldacci (The Finisher) was available for me from the library and I had to download it or be put at the rear of the hold list which would mean maybe another 4 - 6 weeks waiting.

Now, the interesting part. The finisher is David Baldacci's first book of Fantasy. I copied this from David Baldacci:

Dear Kindle Reader,

“The Finisher” is a book that I feel like I’ve been waiting my whole life to write. It’s my first fantasy novel and the launch of a new series. I’m thrilled you’re reading it and I hope you come away as excited as I was in writing it. Go Vega Jane!

David Baldacci

I am really anxious to start reading the book. hopefully, it meets my expectations as I have enjoyed all his books (and I have read most of his books). :)

Edited by muggle not

That will make fascinating reading!  Reading their own words, it's so eye opening.   But what an awful time for your GGF and GGM.  :empathy:

That will make fascinating reading!  Reading their own words, it's so eye opening.   But what an awful time for your GGF and GGM.  :empathy:

Thanks Kate. It was a terrible time for them, and from what I've been told, their relationship was never the same :(. I'm going to type more of the diary once I finish reading the forum.

I finished Chrissie Manby - The Christmas List and I enjoyed it. I plan to start another chick-lit Christmas short story on my Kindle, probably this afternoon.

p143 out of 244 of Barbara Trapido's The Travelling Hornplayer. Enjoying this book, but is a very bitter-sweet tragicomedy, and I still have her book Juggling on my TBR.

Yesterday I finished All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot.  I thought it was the main Counties Challenge book for North Yorkshire but it's the alternative for those who have already read Dracula (which I haven't yet). I guess that doesn't matter though.  :)

I have now started my annual re-read of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  One of my favourite books ever!

I have seven paper versions of it but am actually reading it on my Kindle!  :giggle2:

11ChristmasClassic_zpsc0e44aa1.jpg

Work has been so busy, so not a huge amount of time to read. I'm in the middle of Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel by Patrick Smith. I'm enjoying it, but it seems to be going on forever. It doesn't matter how many pages I read, my Kindle still keeps telling me I have 1 hr and 5 minutes to go in the book. I've had to turn that bit off because it kept distracting me. :giggle2:

It doesn't matter how many pages I read, my Kindle still keeps telling me I have 1 hr and 5 minutes to go in the book. I've had to turn that bit off because it kept distracting me. :giggle2:

Oh- I hate when that happens! 

I am on Chapter 4 of John Green's An Abundance of Katherines.  It is my first John Green (but I did see the movie for The Fault in Our Stars).  I'm really liking it.

Edited by Anna Begins

Yesterday I finished All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot.  I thought it was the main Counties Challenge book for North Yorkshire but it's the alternative for those who have already read Dracula (which I haven't yet). I guess that doesn't matter though.  :)

I have now started my annual re-read of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  One of my favourite books ever!

I have seven paper versions of it but am actually reading it on my Kindle!  :giggle2:

11ChristmasClassic_zpsc0e44aa1.jpg

You've inspired me! I'm going to dig out my copy and start a new tradition!

Finished Matt Haig's To Be a Cat, and it was a good read too :smile: . So it's Haig's book The Humans to read next, plus Grayson Perry's Playing to the Gallery as a non-fiction read.

I'm currently reading Brittainy C. Cherry - Our Totally, Ridiculous, Made-Up Christmas Relationship which was free on Kindle for a few days a while ago. It's interesting but I'm a bit bothered by the use of some swearwords in the story. I'm interested enough though to persist reading it but it won't be a best read of the year or anything near that, for me.