Your Book Activity - December 2014

Athena

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having finished Possession on Thursday, have galloped through a couple of fairly short, quick novels. Firstly Brighton Belle, the first in a female detective series set in the early 1950s by Sarah Sheridan, and then Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey.
Brighton Belle was enjoyable if fairly predictable fare. Agnes Grey wasn't in the same league as some of the other Bronte canon, but, after a slightly unpromising first 50 pages or so, it grew on me a fair bit. Certainly somewhat more coolly written than either Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights!

I'm collecting books for my Rory Gilmore Challenge.. it will be a looong reading 2015

A happy year :exc:

There are a lot of interesting titles in the list..I never read Catch 22 because it scared me, it will be a great chance to read books I always avoid.

I'm with Kylie. I never finished the book when I was reading it, I got to 100 pages or so before my mojo abandoned me, but I remember really liking what I'd read so far. :yes:

I'm currently reading The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud and enjoying it a lot :)

Edit: I've just found out that TWU is a FTBC book! :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

Hello, Sari.  :hug:  Is your computer fixed?  Remind me again what FTBC (FT Book Club...?) stands for - I can't remember.  :blush:

I finished Walking Backwards to Christmas by Stephen Cottrell this morning and have also read this week's instalment of Nicholas Nickleby.  I'm going to attempt to finish it (ahead of schedule) by next week if I can - but certainly by the end of December.   :)

After two weeks of not feeling up to reading, and getting by on some easy reads on the couple of times I've actually felt up to anything, I'm finally back in the swing of things.  I've caught up with my Nicholas Nickleby reading today, and have started this weeks chapters too.  I think I'm going to try and finish it next week too, Janet, as it would be a nice end to the reading year to add it to my book list.

I've bought myself another easy read to fit in between Nicholas Nickleby sessions, and it's a Christmas one too, 

Meet Me Under the Mistletoe by Abby Clements.  I read one of her other books earlier in the year and enjoyed it, so thought I'd try another one.

I've bought myself another easy read to fit in between Nicholas Nickleby sessions, and it's a Christmas one too, 

Meet Me Under the Mistletoe by Abby Clements.  I read one of her other books earlier in the year and enjoyed it, so thought I'd try another one.

I hope you enjoy Meet Me Under the Mistletoe, I read The Christmas Bake Off by the same author last week and I enjoyed it. I hope you'll let me know what you think of Meet Me Under the Mistletoe, please :).

I've started The Abominable by Dan Simmons.  Great introduction, and interesting style in the story itself.

I'm glad to hear that! I don't own that one, but I liked some of the author's other books (and I have more on my TBR). I hope you enjoy the whole book :).

Half way through Fall of Giants. Completed Bertie Plays the Blues and Sister Chicks Go Brit.

Are you enjoying Fall of Giants?

I finished reading Brittainy C. Cherry - Our Totally, Ridiculous, Made-Up Christmas Relationship and plan on starting Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love Story 1: Second Chance Christmas soon. It was free a while ago, so I'm going to give it a try. If I don't like it, I'll move on to something else. But who knows, maybe it'll be nice :).

Not much reading today (except for work), but I went shopping tonight and bought a few books—two were christmas presents (and one was an obscure title that my brother had requested—I never thought I'd find it, but I did!) and I bought myself a book. I couldn't help it. It's a steampunk title that I drooled over in a bookshop a few months ago, but it was so expensive so I didn't buy it. Today I found it at a really cheap price, so I couldn't pass it up! Besides, it has been a really long time since I treated myself to a book (um, not counting the one I ordered off the Book Depository yesterday :blush2:).

Not much reading today (except for work), but I went shopping tonight and bought a few books—two were christmas presents (and one was an obscure title that my brother had requested—I never thought I'd find it, but I did!) and I bought myself a book. I couldn't help it. It's a steampunk title that I drooled over in a bookshop a few months ago, but it was so expensive so I didn't buy it. Today I found it at a really cheap price, so I couldn't pass it up! Besides, it has been a really long time since I treated myself to a book (um, not counting the one I ordered off the Book Depository yesterday :blush2:).

I hope you enjoy your new book :)! (and the one that will arrive soon :giggle2:)

I finished Second Chance Christmas (book 1) and Second Chance Valentines (book 2) by Shawn Inmon (see above) and will soon start Second Chance Summer. Reviews will be posted later.

The Humans is great. I'll have to check out To Be a Cat.

To Be a Cat was my first book from Matt Haig, and although it was a children's book (for 9+ year olds), it was a good book. I'm halfway through The Humans, and I am completely hooked! There are so many cracking, pithy quotes from him too :D .

Hello, Sari.    Is your computer fixed?  Remind me again what FTBC (FT Book Club...?) stands for - I can't remember.  

Hi Jänet!  :hug: No, my computer's not fixed yet :( But I got a text this morning, from the repair guys, and they said that it'll be fixed by 23.12.2014, so that's good. At least I know it's something that can be fixed and that it's free of charge, as I still had time on the warranty left. Wohoo! :exc: If you see me popping in, it's me on a library computer :) 

After I posted about FTBC, I remembered that it doesn't mean anything to anyone except for Kylie and me :blush: It's the First Tuesday Book Club, an Australian book show. The one Kylie and I went to watch back in 2011. :cool: 

Not much reading today (except for work), but I went shopping tonight and bought a few books—two were christmas presents (and one was an obscure title that my brother had requested—I never thought I'd find it, but I did!) and I bought myself a book. I couldn't help it. It's a steampunk title that I drooled over in a bookshop a few months ago, but it was so expensive so I didn't buy it. Today I found it at a really cheap price, so I couldn't pass it up! Besides, it has been a really long time since I treated myself to a book (um, not counting the one I ordered off the Book Depository yesterday).

You've been so good this year that you deserved it! And you've had an awful beginning to the week, so you needed it, too :yes:  :empathy:

I'm not liking The Woman Upstairs anymore. It started getting rather boring after 100 or so pages. I've been waiting for that something to happen for so long now! I was promised that something would happen!  :banghead:   Oh well, 40 more pages to go and then I'll read something better, hopefully :) 

I finished Hugh Howey's The Shell Collector last night- what a great read all the way through.  I reviewed it in my thread.  Today I am starting A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

I finally finished The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney. It took me a while, since I felt it dragged at a couple of points, but overall I enjoyed it. I liked reading the posts about it on the Group Read on this site when I was finished. It was interesting to hear what other people thought.

I found it a bit predictable at times, and I felt some points were rushed, and it left me caring less than I felt I should. What I did enjoy, however, was the setting and atmosphere. The use of the snow and cold weather to set the tone really brought it all together.

I found the ending a bit disappointing, since not all the questions were answered. I'd rate it about 3.5/5.

I'd like to post about it in more detail, since though it wasn't my favourite book, I do have a lot of views on it. I can't seem to find spoiler tags, though. :(

I'd like to post about it in more detail, since though it wasn't my favourite book, I do have a lot of views on it. I can't seem to find spoiler tags, though. :(

When you go to post, there is a small icon by the font selection, click on that and scroll down to Spoiler :)

I finished Second Chance Summer yesterday and have now started My True Love Gave to Me, by various authors. It contains twelve holiday themed stories. So far I liked the first story a lot but I wasn't too keen on the second story (but I haven't finished that one yet).

I finished Second Chance Summer yesterday and have now started My True Love Gave to Me, by various authors. It contains twelve holiday themed stories. So far I liked the first story a lot but I wasn't too keen on the second story (but I haven't finished that one yet).

I read stories three and four and quite liked these two. I'm now going to start story number five. More details will follow in the review I'll write after I finish the collection.

Finished Matt Haig's The Humans this afternoon, I'm so glad that I read this book, it was a wonderful - funny, very witty but sometimes sad, but the best bits made me laugh a lot  :D . One of the best books I've read this year! 

I must try to finish Barbara Trapido's The Travelling Hornplayer next.

I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini- wow what a story!

I breezed through Second Son, a Jack Reacher Kindle Single and am now starting on Daniel Woodrell's Winter's Bone.

The language in Winter's Bone is very strange.  I mean, I know it's the Ozarks and all, but geez.

I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns - glad you enjoyed!

Oh it was so beautiful!  I'm not sure if I like it better or And the Mountains Echoed best.