Wally Lamb

Mels_bells

• 3 weeks later...

From Your Book Activity -thread: 

I haven't reviewed it yet, as I'm already behind. Great way to start the year. :P  I definitely enjoyed it more this time around, and I really liked Dolores (more as an adult than when she was a child). And wasn't

Dante a complete a-hole!! I couldn't believe how badly he treated her. Glad she saw the light and kicked him to the kerb!

:D You'll get there! I'll remind you at suitable intervals if I don't see you posting :giggle2: (I shall not, really, because I don't want to pester you! :blush:) I'm still very happy you enjoyed it so much. It's so much fun to have read a great book and hear someone else has liked it and there's so much to talk about. I agree about your spoiler, with no reservations! It was unbelievable!! :censored:   One thing I'm curious is that did you remember

there'd be the 'janitor' (?) at the uni, and what she was going to do? That was another situation where Dolores was taken advantage of :( I can't believe how many people treated her so badly and took advantage of her :(

Do you mean Dottie?

Yes, I remembered that bit, but forgot that it all happened while Dolores was at uni. I kept forgetting how young she was through most of the story, and you're right that she got taken advantage of over and over again. I couldn't believe how much I had forgotten.

I remembered that she was raped by Jack Speight, but completely forgot that her mum was killed, and that her dad abandoned her at such a young age. :o

I felt so sorry for her at uni

and how desperate she was to please her roommate, always running around and doing errands for her, but constantly being stabbed in the back. I'm glad it all seemed to come together for her at the end of the book, but I got the impression that she still wasn't truly happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I meant

Dottie! I can't believe I already forgot her name :D I was so happy when Dolores seemed to have made a friend in her, but then it was all tainted :( 

I thought it was disgusting how her Dad touched her boobs in the pool and asked her if they were hazelnuts or something like that. I was fearing that would escalate but fortunately it was just that one occasion. Still, that's absolutely mortifying and disgusting and horrible :( 

And yes, I too felt sorry for her for wanting to be included at the uni and wanting to please her roommate. At some point I wanted her to just get a grip and realize that it was quite obvious they didn't like her and she was just making a bigger fool of herself for trying to be nice to her roommate. But I guess you want to believe the best in people... :( I don't think she was truly happy at the end, either, but at least it seemed like she was going places.