Wally Lamb

Mels_bells

hi mels bells- first of all welcome!!!!!!- this is such a fun place- i'm sure you'll love it- i read both of wally lamb's books and i absolutely loved i know this much is true- that is my favorite book of all time- i hope you like it- carm

• 1 year later...

I've just finished reading I Know This Much Is True and think it's going to be one of my all time favourite books.

Wally Lamb is a very insightful writer, the book was complex and deeply moving. I absolutely loved Thomas, the twin with schizophrenia, I found Dominick very angry and at times quite cowardly but in the end he discovered some very important truths ....power wrongly used, defeats the oppressor as well as the oppressed and love grows from forgiveness.

This is a big book, over 800 pages and although at times I found it quite painful to read, it was compulsive reading. I would highly recommend this book, it's one you won't forget in a hurry.

I'm about to start another of his Couldn't Keep It To Myself: Testimonies of Our Imprisoned Sisters, a book telling the stories of women from York Correctional Institute.

Edited by poppy

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

Well I have to say that I absolutely adored "She's Come Undone" and of course its main character Dolores who is absolutely amazing during the ordeal she has to put up with throughout the book. I read it in a whole weekend, which is extremely unusual for me because I barely finish most of what I start reading. In fact I'd say I only finish like three out of every ten books I read, so coming from me this is a must read! :)

Now, maybe you can help me here, I see that you guys think that "I Know This Much Is True" is also a great novel but what happens with "The Hour I First Believed"? I just don't know which one I should read first, what do you think?

thanks!

F.

• 4 years later...

I'm reading I Know This Much Is True and just loving it. I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner (I've had it for probably about 15 years). I don't know why I put off reading it, as I loved She's Come Undone. I will most likely look up his other books when I've finished this one.

Edited by bobblybear

Wally Lamb is one of my favorite writers  . All the books I've read of his are great . She's Come Undone was his first ,and I liked it a lot, but you can really see quite an improvement between it and his next books .

I Know This Much Is True was  5 stars . A Beautiful book with a well told story . The last paragraph is just astonishing .

The Hour I first Believed is somewhere between the other 2 I mentioned. I really liked it but maybe not as much as I K T M I T . 

I have We Are Water. Why haven't I read it yet ? Too many other books piled up waiting . I'll definitely get to it though !

I've read another hundred or so pages of I Know This Much Is True. It's so good. Julie, it's been a while since I read She's Come Undone, but I get the feeling that I Know This Much Is True is a deeper and more complex novel than his first one. I look forward to the last paragraph....I can't tell where the book is going or how it will end, though I suspect it will be quite dramatic. :o

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of books does Wally Lamb write? I've come across the name so many times, and more and more since I joined this forum, but so far I don't think I've talked to anyone who's actually read any of his books. Or maybe I just don't know they have. I have no idea what kind of stuff he's writing :blush: 

I don't really know how to describe his books. :blink:  Drama, I suppose? I have only read two of his books (not actually sure how many he has), and they are both about individuals who are suffering through some kind of personal conflict and trying to see their way through. I Know This Much Is True is a mammoth-sized book, and the one I enjoyed most, but She's Come Undone is pretty darn good too. If you want to start off with one of his, I would suggest She's Come Undone (only due to the size), but some of his other books may be even better (which reminds me, I meant to look on Amazon to see what else he has done, but completely forgotten - must do that now! :doowapstart: ).

I don't really know how to describe his books. :blink:  Drama, I suppose? I have only read two of his books (not actually sure how many he has), and they are both about individuals who are suffering through some kind of personal conflict and trying to see their way through. I Know This Much Is True is a mammoth-sized book, and the one I enjoyed most, but She's Come Undone is pretty darn good too. If you want to start off with one of his, I would suggest She's Come Undone (only due to the size), but some of his other books may be even better (which reminds me, I meant to look on Amazon to see what else he has done, but completely forgotten - must do that now! :doowapstart: ).

Thanks for the reply! Hm. I have a follow up question :blush: Which author's books would you compare Lamb's books to...? If it's possible. Jodi Picoult? I think I have to take a look at his books on Amazon for example. I'm intrigued! :D 

I have to be honest and say that I had to turn to the magic of Google after coming upon this thread...I had not heard of Wally Lamb before now. :blush2:

From what I have read I think I would enjoy his writing style greatly, and will now have to add the best of his books to my TBR list.

I have to be honest and say that I had to turn to the magic of Google after coming upon this thread...I had not heard of Wally Lamb before now. :blush2:

That's the beauty of this forum! One's just bound to find out about author's one's never even heard of before! :) I've made so many great amazing finds after joining this forum :) 

In answer to which author compares to Wally Lamb, I'd have to say John Irving to some extent, maybe without a bit of the bite he has. Also Richard Russo would be similar .

That's so funny because I did think of John Irving but as I've not read his books I couldn't really ask if Lamb's books might resemble them :D 

That's the beauty of this forum! One's just bound to find out about author's one's never even heard of before! :) I've made so many great amazing finds after joining this forum :)

I have jotted down so many authors and books that are new to me since I have been a part of the forum. I love how my literary horizons will be broadened by being a member here. :)

I have jotted down so many authors and books that are new to me since I have been a part of the forum. I love how my literary horizons will be broadened by being a member here. :)

That's great! I had the same thing when I just joined, and still do :).

Thanks for the reply! Hm. I have a follow up question :blush: Which author's books would you compare Lamb's books to...? If it's possible. Jodi Picoult? I think I have to take a look at his books on Amazon for example. I'm intrigued! :D

Sorry, just seen this! I can't think of anyone to compare him to. Not Jodi Picoult, as his books are more multi-layered and not just based on one event (which I find the Picoult books I have read to be). I can't say whether he is like John Irving as I haven't read any of his books - though I have some on my bookshelf.  Sorry, I'm not being much help. :doh::flowers2:

I'm very glad to hear that :smile2: This is truly a remarkable forum! The best I've ever been on for sure.

Sorry, just seen this! I can't think of anyone to compare him to. Not Jodi Picoult, as his books are more multi-layered and not just based on one event (which I find the Picoult books I have read to be). I can't say whether he is like John Irving as I haven't read any of his books - though I have some on my bookshelf.  Sorry, I'm not being much help. :doh::flowers2:

Oh bobbly, you've already helped by telling me about his writing! And you have made me curious, among other people, so thank you for that!  :friends3:  I'll just have to read and see for myself. I like being introduced to new authors. And not quite knowing what to expect. Not too much, anyway :)