I'm a big fan of psychological horror ...

Spooker

I haven't yet read Sharp Objects, but I would also recommend the two other books by Gillian Flynn :)

It's easier to name psychological thrillers than horror novels, hmmm! The ones that come to mind:

Pig Island by Mo Hayder 

Island by Alex Garland

Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (I dislike the movie but I really liked the novel)

Maybe even Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite? 

Here's a thread that might interest you: The most disturbing work of fiction that you have ever read

I'll come back later if I can come up with other suggestions! 

Edit: Further suggestions: 

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Psycho by Robert Bloch

Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

Edited by frankie

• 3 weeks later...

Frankie, do you mean The Beach by Alex Garland? I got quite excited at the thought of another Alex Garland book, but can't find anything on Amazon about it.

Oh crap! Yes, I meant The Beach. I'm sorry for getting you all excited. I got mixed up with the name, I can never get the English title right because it's not the same in Finnish :(:blush:

I think one of my first posts on this forum was to you about this book.  Wow- how time flies.  I plan a re-read of this book in 2015.

Times sure flies when in good company :) I really want to re-read the book, too! I remember awfully little about it, I just remember it was pretty horrifying and gross!

Edited by frankie

Oh crap! Yes, I meant The Beach. I'm sorry for getting you all excited. I got mixed up with the name, I can never get the English title right because it's not the same in Finnish :(:blush:

That's ok, Frankie. :D All for the better that he doesn't have a new book, as my TBR pile is bursting at the seams as it is. :giggle2:

That's ok, Frankie. :D All for the better that he doesn't have a new book, as my TBR pile is bursting at the seams as it is. :giggle2:

Phew! I'm glad you're not mad :D And there's no way Garland could've written another novel that was as great as Isla.... The Beach!

:giggle2::D