Any progressive lens wearers?

Lumo

I don't really need glasses for distance vision, but I do need them for both using a computer and reading (and I have done since I was 16). What I find mildly annoying is I need different strength lenses for the computer screen distance compared to the normal reading distance. So when writing on a computer and looking at notes, I need to frequently change glasses for the screen versus the pages, then, if I want to ask someone a question or someone comes over, I have to take whatever I happen to be wearing off to be able to see them.

So, I ordered some free form progressive lenses from eyebuydirect. These should be three lens strengths in one: reading strength at the bottom, midrange in the middle, and distance at the top.

I'm quite exited about these, but I have heard many unhappy reports from people with progressive lenses about the amount of distortion at the edges and the small size of the reading and intermediate areas (which is actually all I need them for).

So I'm wondering if anyone here uses them or has any thoughts about them?

I don't wear any progressive lenses, I have glasses for seeing further away (basically anything further than maybe 15 centimetres :doh:). My dad has glasses, that on the top half are for seeing far away and on the bottom half are for looking at the computer or reading something (close by). It would really confuse me but after a while he got used to it, and he's completely used to it now I think (I think it's called 'bivocaal' in Dutch, or something). I'm kind of dreading that the same thing might happen to me when I get older, it sounds so confusing :hide:. At the moment I need my glasses to read and look at the computer, I can't imagine having to focus up or down depending on where I have to look.

I hope the lenses work out for you :). I'm sorry I can't be of more help :blush2:.

I have read about them but haven't tried them - I will be really interested to hear how you get on with them. 

I am naturally shortsighted so have worn glasses/contact lenses for distance since my teens, I now should use reading glasses too, but I use a distance lens for my right eye and a close work lens for my left eye (for both glasses and contact lenses).  That has worked really well for me so far :-)

I wear progressives Duncan, but for short sightedness, not long. I'm pretty happy with them. I got used to them very quickly and have no problem with depth perception or peripheral vision as some people do. You very quickly just automatically tip your head slightly to get the best focus and you learn to turn your head to see to the side and behind, rather than looking out the corner of your eyes (but if you wear glasses, you already do that anyway) They are far superior to old bi-focals, I'm sure. I do have a problem getting the prescription right for reading small print, but that's just me, as I can still read perfectly well with my eyes.

I've worn them. My experience is a bit tainted because they didn't work the way they were supposed to and considering I laid out about $600 for them, I was a bit disgusted. The problem was that they were not fitted correctly so I found myself still needing to wear my reading glasses. What I found out was that the eye tech didn't correctly fit me so my glasses looked like any other pair. I will get them again but I won't be going to the Walmart eye center to order them. When they work, they are great.

• 3 weeks later...

Well they arrived. I'm still making my mind up about them - I can't decide if I can see everything with them, or see nothing.

Close up is great, as is distance, but I am still getting used to moving my head to get the mid range bang in focus, I'm used to seeing my while monitor at once, not one small part of it. I'll persevere and see if the movements needed become natural, or unbearable :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...