Characters who speak in broken English by choice?

Hmmm well I know of some characters who speak with accents, but when does one call it broken English? As someone whose first language is Dutch (not English), I'm not entirely sure! I know characters who change some of their wording but I don't know any that change every word they say. Ones I can think of at the moment, that speak with an accent, are Hagrid from the Harry Potter books (by J. K. Rowling), Asher from the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series (by Karen Miller) or some characters from The Maze Runner books (by James Dashner). I've also heard the Chaos Walking trilogy (by Patrick Ness) has some characters with accents but I haven't read that yet. I'm sure there's more but this is all I can think of for now. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, though. Personally I prefer it when characters speak 'normal' readable English as due to the fact it's my second language and not first, I find it difficult to understand if characters don't speak correctly (the same goes for when people type on internet sites such as Facebook).

I also had to google what 'broken English' means, I wasn't sure if it meant native English speakers grammatically incorrect English or the English foreigners sometimes produce. This is what wiki had to say: 

"Broken English refers to a poorly spoken or written version of the English language, perhaps a pidgin. Under the strictest definition of the term, broken English consists of English vocabulary grafted onto the syntax, including word order, other aspects of sentence structure, and presence or absence of articles, of a speaker's native non-English language, typically along with the stripping of linguistic markings not shared by English and the speaker's native language, such as definite articles or certain verb tenses."

There was also one example on the site: "For example, in Henry VWilliam Shakespeare used broken English to convey the national pride of Scottish and Irish allies in the King's invasion of Normandy." 

I confess, I am still not really sure if the original poster wants English broken English or non-native broken English :blush: 

Edited by frankie

Trainspotting.  Irvine Welsh.  And good luck, I needed the audiobook for that one.

I think the language in Trainspotting is Scots (or a dialect of Scots) rather than broken English, Anna; although it shares some common roots with English it is widely regarded as a separate language - particularly in Scotland :-D

There is a page on Wikipedia titled 'Scots language' that looks interesting, although I haven't read the whole thing.

I think the language in Trainspotting is Scots (or a dialect of Scots) rather than broken English, Anna; although it shares some common roots with English it is widely regarded as a separate language - particularly in Scotland :-D

There is a page on Wikipedia titled 'Scots language' that looks interesting, although I haven't read the whole thing.

Ya know, I knew that while recommending it, but it just seemed to fit the idea of the posters want.  It was SO hard for me to get through (although you and Alexi might not think so!  I hope you weren't offended :unsure: ).

Ya know, I knew that while recommending it, but it just seemed to fit the idea of the posters want.  It was SO hard for me to get through (although you and Alexi might not think so!  I hope you weren't offended :unsure: ).

Oh no, not offended at all - I speak Scots, but I don't read it! :-)

Oh no, not offended at all - I speak Scots, but I don't read it! :-)

Oh good, I'm glad I didn't offend.  :hide:   I loved it.  Just couldn't read it ;) Hence, the wonderful audiobook.  Although, by the end of Trainspotting, I did learn more and was able to read certain parts on my own. 

edit: I love the title The Man who Mistook his wife for a Hat :giggle2:

Edited by Anna Begins