Authors You Devour

muggle not

How many authors have you read all, or most all, of his/her books. When I find an author I like I usually devour their books. Off the top of my head, some of the authors that I have devoured are as follows:

Louis L’Amour  - I have read all of his 100+ books twice. Belonged to his book of the month club (leatherette collection) and read them when received and then read them all again years later in alphabetical order.

John Steinbeck – read all of his books.

Ian Fleming – read all of the James Bond series (gave the entire paperback collection to the library)

James Lee Burke – read all of his 35+ books.

Robert B. Parker -  read 60+ of approx. 69 books. Working on the remainder.

Elmore Leonard – read 21+ of his and working my way through the rest

James Clavell – read all of the Asian Series books.

Tony Hillerman –read all 18 of his Navajo Mystery novels and about 8 of the other novels.

Don Coldsmith – read 28 of 29 of the “Spanish Bit” series and 4 of 8 of the other novels.

Larry McMurtry – read 24 of his books.

David Baldacci - read approx. 24 of 28 novels.

Edited by muggle not

So many over the years!  I'm sure this isn't all of them. I don't claim to have read everything by these authors but ones that I've devoured just about everything I could get my hands on are ....

Lillian Beckwith (non-fiction only)

James Herriot

P.G. Wodehouse
Agatha Christie
E. M. Forster
R.F. Delderfield
Winston Graham

Nevil Shute

Gerald Durrell

Joyce Fussey

Salley Vickers
Mary Wesley
Bill Bryson

Neil Gaiman

Edited by poppy

I started young … I could never get enough Enid Blyton when I was little. I read her almost to the exclusion of everyone else between the ages of probably five (Noddy books) and twelve (Adventure books).

Jane Austen has to be in there, as I've read and re-read her so much over the years.

I'm working my way through all of M. C. Beaton's books (I think she's written close to 160 books, and I've read 91 so far).

Finally, and most importantly, Ali Smith.  My favourite author, and I've read every book I've been able to get hold of.  Some of the earlier ones aren't easily available, but if I find them, they will be mine!

There are plenty of authors who I've read a lot of their books, but none that I would say I devour, and often I've liked certain series of theirs but gone off others, so I've not included them here.

There are quite a few authors I really like and of whom I've read nearly all of their work.

In my childhood and early teenage years (most of these I've read nearly everything out of what was published in Dutch at that time):

Thea Beckman

R. L. Stine

Paul van Loon

Ann M. Martin (I really want to read more of her books that I haven't read yet because they were never translated, but it's hard to get them in physical form here and the Kindle ones do cost a bit, but hopefully one day)

Virginia Andrews

Roald Dahl

Carry Slee

Tina Topper authors

Adult:

Robert Jordan

Sophie Kinsella

Susan Hatler

J. K. Rowling

Karen Miller

Veronica Roth

George R. R. Martin

Melissa Nathan

Melanie Rose

Scott Meyer

Authors I really like but on whose books I'm catching up on:

Jodi Picoult

Diane Chamberlain

Catherine Ryan Hyde

Sinéad Moriarty

Peter F. Hamilton

Maria V. Snyder

Penny Vincenzi

Terry Pratchett

Anne McCaffrey

James Clemens

David B. Coe

Iain M. Banks

Tad Williams

Nicholas Sparks

There are probably more in each category but this is what I can think of at this moment.

Edited by Athena

John Marsden

R.L. Stein

Robin Hobb

Raymond E Feist

Roald Dahl

Edited by Devi

Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Jane Austen & Lee Child. Love all of these writers, but King will always be...well, the King

For me:

Pearl S Buck (all, 11)

John Steinbeck (12)

Ernest Hemmingway (6)

Raymond Carver (all)

Hunter S Thompson (5)

Clive Barker (24)

Ethan Hawk (all)

Alison Weir (12)

Veronica Roth (all, 4)

Suzanne Collins (4)

Joe Hill (6)

Lee Child (18 of 19)

Chuck Palahniuk (8)

Ayn Rand (2 of 3)

Elie Wiesel (5)

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (5)

Wow- longer list than I thought!

Trying with

Catherine Ryan Hyde

Jean M Auel

Margaret Atwood

Ken Follett

Chris Bohjalian

S. King

Authors I really like but on whose books I'm catching up on:

Jodi Picoult
Diane Chamberlain
Sinéad Moriarty
Peter F. Hamilton
Maria V. Snyder
Penny Vincenzi
Terry Pratchett
Anne McCaffrey
James Clemens
David B. Coe
Iain M. Banks
Tad Williams
Nicholas Sparks

There are probably more in each category but this is what I can think of at this moment.

You forgot CRH :P

Edited by Anna Begins

Quite a few but I must admit I try to spread my 'devouring' over time, so some I've not read all, not even most, of their books, because I want to savour as I go along. Even Jane Austen - I left Mansfield Park alone for almost 20 years just because I wanted one left. Stupid, I know.

Authors I either have devoured or am devouring

Fiction

Ben Aaronavitch

Peter Ackroyd

Jane Austen

JL Carr

Charles Dickens

Sarah Dunant

Margaret Elphinstone

Jasper Fforde

Elizabeth Gaskell

Goscinny and Uderzo

Thomas Hardy

Donna Leon

Henning Mankell

Patrick O'Brian

Georges Simenon

Virginia Woolf

Non-fiction

Lisa Jardine

Claire Tomalin

Jenny Uglow

Alistair Cooke

Jonathan Raban

Perhaps unusually for someone that reads on a regular basis - although sadly never as often as I'd like nowadays - I always struggle to think of an author whose body of work I've made a significant dent in. The only one that does spring to mind is probably Lee Child. I binged a bit on his books at one stage and got through a fair few of the Jack Reacher novels. Perfect popcorn for the mind.

I'm still young, however, so there's plenty of time to explore certain authors more comprehensively - Stephen King and Ernest Hemingway, amongst others, are near the top of my list.

I like to read a lot, but I've never really found one author I really love. I tend to mostly buy books here and there from charity shops and book sales, so I never usually have a specific book in mind.

I do enjoy the books of the Bronte sisters, and I love Shakespeare. But I've only read three of each respectively.

When I was a child I loved Roald Dahl, J.K Rowling and Lemony Snicket. I also really loved a series called The Lady Grace Mysteries, but I don't remember who wrote them.

When I was a child I loved Roald Dahl, J.K Rowling and Lemony Snicket. I also really loved a series called The Lady Grace Mysteries, but I don't remember who wrote them.

You've obviously been a child more recently than me, as these were written 2004 onwards (written by several different authors under common pseudonym, Grace Cavendish - have some in my class library)!

I didn't include my childhood devours. There were a few then too, led, above all, by Arthur Ransome. Rudyard Kipling, Captain WE Johns, Michael Bond, Arthur Conan Doyle, AA Milne and CS Forester all featured at different times into teenagerdom. Still enjoy most on occasions.

Edited by willoyd

How many authors have you read all, or most all, of his/her books. When I find an author I like I usually devour their books. Off the top of my head, some of the authors that I have devoured are as follows:

Louis L’Amour  - I have read all of his 100+ books twice. Belonged to his book of the month club (leatherette collection) and read them when received and then read them all again years later in alphabetical order.

John Steinbeck – read all of his books.

Ian Fleming – read all of the James Bond series (gave the entire paperback collection to the library)

James Lee Burke – read all of his 35+ books.

Robert B. Parker -  read 60+ of approx. 69 books. Working on the remainder.

Elmore Leonard – read 21+ of his and working my way through the rest

James Clavell – read all of the Asian Series books.

Tony Hillerman –read all 18 of his Navajo Mystery novels and about 8 of the other novels.

Don Coldsmith – read 28 of 29 of the “Spanish Bit” series and 4 of 8 of the other novels.

Larry McMurtry – read 24 of his books.

David Baldacci - read approx. 24 of 28 novels.

Ooooops, I forgot:

Terry Pratchett - read most of his

Catherine Ryan Hyde - in process of reading most of hers

Neil Gaiman - read many/most of his

Ernest Hemingway - think I read all of his

I don't have that many, I don't think. I have authors I want to read everything by, but haven't even started yet!

These are the only few I can think of at the moment. 

Augusten Burroughs (although I still haven't read a few of his latest essay books)

Sue Townsend (I've read almost everything she wrote, except for Queen Camilla and Number 10 and I have the former as a library loan at the moment and the latter is on its way :giggle2:)

Oh and Finnish authors:

Anni Polva

Sofi Oksanen

Ooooops, I forgot:

Terry Pratchett - read most of his

Catherine Ryan Hyde - in process of reading most of hers

Neil Gaiman - read many/most of his

Ernest Hemingway - think I read all of his

How could this happen. I forgot the best living author, Cormac McCarthy. I have devoured all of his books. :)

Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö - (On novel 9 of 10) 

Dan Brown (6)

I can't think of anyone else. I've read many Agatha Christie novels, but I don't think I've even come halfways. 

The authors I tend to read a lot of have written so many novels!

For some reason my mind goes blank when I try to make a list....(same thing happens when I get in the grocery store...) LOL

But I'll give it a go.

First and foremost, Vladimir Nabokov, then...

John Banville

Henning Mankell

Louis L'Amour

Haruki Murakami

Keigo Higashino

Colleen McCullough

Kazuo Ishiguro

Lawrence Block

James Lee Burke

Thomas Perry

Jim Thompson

Virginia Woolf

John LeCarre

Patricia Highsmith

Taylor Caldwell

Diana Galbadon

Charles McCarry

I can't believe I didn't think of one of my all time favorites!!!

William Faulkner

and

Paul Auster

C.J. Sansom

Jo Nesbo

Stuart Neville

John Irving

Julian Barnes

Marguerite Duras

Back when I think of more..........:D

Perhaps unusually for someone that reads on a regular basis - although sadly never as often as I'd like nowadays - I always struggle to think of an author whose body of work I've made a significant dent in. The only one that does spring to mind is probably Lee Child. I binged a bit on his books at one stage and got through a fair few of the Jack Reacher novels. Perfect popcorn for the mind.

I'm still young, however, so there's plenty of time to explore certain authors more comprehensively - Stephen King and Ernest Hemingway, amongst others, are near the top of my list.

I forgot to mention Eoin Colfer. Although I haven't completely explored his body of work, I loved the Artemis Fowl books - despite drifting away from them a little and thus missing out on the last couple. I'm quite sure that I haven't read The Atlantis Complex and The Last Guardian, although I'd still eventually like to at least for nostalgia's sake. I did, however, read one of his standalone novels, Airman which I also enjoyed. Good stuff overall.

Well, I guest top of my list would have to be Conan Doyle.  I can't get enough Sherlock :D

But other authors I have devoured are:

H E Bates

J B Priestly

Georges Simenon (Maigret in particular)

Ellis Peters (Brother Cadfael series)

Daphne du Maurier

Guy de Maupassant

Barbara Erskine

more to come probably .......

Realised last night as I was reading Richard Montanari's The Devil's Garden that I've read a lot of his books (although not all, and he hasn't actually written that many). He is definitely an author I devour though - real page-gripping stuff. Tend to get through most in a couple of sittings.