The meaning behind your forum names

Virginia

I did try various things including my own name but it was taken (by someone who has only posted 47 times or something .. since 2005 .. ungrateful swine  :D) and so .. out of sheer desperation .. I took the name from the book I was reading. I was enjoying it and it is more than a bit barmy so it seemed apt. I shortened it though .. to make life easier.

poppyshakespeare.jpg

Great story, and book cover!  :D

I always called my eldest son Charlie Pud when he was young as he was rather a pudding, so I thought it would be a good name to use as a username, unfortunately I forgot the 'r' the first time I used it.. but it stuck and I've used it for years all over the place. (He is 15 now!) :D

Oh, that's funny!  :D

Ooh I just realised this is actually a new thread (we had one like it years ago).

IN THAT CASE - my forum name is my actual name. My actual name is the Irish word for Noel, Noelle, December and Christmas. December in Irish is 'mí na Nollag' - the 'month of Christmas', father Christmas is 'Dadaí na Nollag' and Christmas itself is 'An Nollaig'.

Naturally, my name elicited endless taunts from kids growing up, and even as an adult people do a double take and sometimes try not to smile when they hear it because it's so silly. But there you go.

I like having an unusual name, but I wish it wasn't such a silly one.

I think Nollaig is a beautiful name!  Yes, unique, that makes it all the more beautiful. :)

My boyfriend Michael is born on Christmas (25 December), he doesn't like it to be honest. As a child he's never had a proper birthday compared to those born on 'non-holidays', he's always had to share his birthday with Christmas presents and Christmas dinner. Nowadays, since in the Netherlands we have two Christmas days, we celebrate one day as his birthday and the other as Christmas. This year on his birthday, we still spent a lot of time preparing for Christmas dinner though, but I think he had fun :).

P.S. Michael doesn't like his name, apparently his parents looked at the newspaper and it was the first name they found. He also doesn't like his last name because it reminds him of his dad (he didn't like his dad and his dad never treated him nicely). His online alias is Mig Eater, so sometimes I just call him Mig instead. He doesn't mind too much either way what I call him but I know he's not a big fan of his name.

[ / rambling ]

Rambling is a good thing. :) 

I have always rather liked the name Michael.  It gives off calming vibes as far as I am concerned. 

It's a shame he doesn't care for his name though.  You guys can come up with some private nicknames. :smile:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rambling is a good thing. :) 

I have always rather liked the name Michael.  It gives off calming vibes as far as I am concerned. 

It's a shame he doesn't care for his name though.  You guys can come up with some private nicknames. :smile:

Me too, I like the name. Thanks :).

I chose it because it's just my favourite place to be. I love the cafe on the beach at Burton Bradstock where I can sit with a lovely cup of coffee and read a book looking out at the fantastic Jurassic coastline of Dorset (see my avatar :D). We used to go on holiday there when I was a child, and I still visit regularly now. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and if anyone wants to see what it looks like, there's a website www.chesilbeach.org

Oh, and I had it BEFORE Ian McEwan's novel was published, so please don't think it had anything to do with that!!!! I haven't enjoyed any of his books that I've read. :(

I don't like McEwan either - miserabilist!

I'm after a character in one of my fave films - Marion from Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Edited by Ravenwood

• 2 weeks later...

My boyfriend Michael is born on Christmas (25 December), he doesn't like it to be honest. As a child he's never had a proper birthday compared to those born on 'non-holidays', he's always had to share his birthday with Christmas presents and Christmas dinner. Nowadays, since in the Netherlands we have two Christmas days, we celebrate one day as his birthday and the other as Christmas. This year on his birthday, we still spent a lot of time preparing for Christmas dinner though, but I think he had fun  :).

P.S. Michael doesn't like his name, apparently his parents looked at the newspaper and it was the first name they found. He also doesn't like his last name because it reminds him of his dad (he didn't like his dad and his dad never treated him nicely). His online alias is Mig Eater, so sometimes I just call him Mig instead. He doesn't mind too much either way what I call him but I know he's not a big fan of his name.

[ / rambling ]

Why doesn't he change his name to his Mothers Maiden Name. I did when I was 21. 

It was cheaper through a solicitor than doing it via deedpoll in the UK.

Edited by Athena
I hope you didn't mind I fixed your post, but I couldn't quote you because your post was inside my quote.

His mother's name is still McInerney, she didn't change it back when she divorced. So I'm not sure what the laws on it are then (or would that not matter?).

Anyway, he lives here now and it doesn't bother him in daily life as we don't call him by his last name. I don't know, I've never asked him about changing his name, so I don't know what his feelings on that are. I don't think it bothers him enough to go and change his name (in the UK I presume) and go and deal with the hassle of changing it everywhere (insurance, bank, etc etc).

But.. on a slightly hopeful and wishful note, if we ever get married, maybe he wouldn't mind having my name :D:blush2:.

• 8 months later...

Hi.

I chose mine name for two reasons.  The first part is simple it is what's happening to my head , hair is rapidly disappearing, except in the ears where i could grow spuds and the second part relates to my reading habit as i  always seem to be reading something.

Some times i sign off with my real name.

• 1 year later...

This was really interesting to read through.

Mine is not very inventive. It is the first three letters of my first name Lauren and first three of my middle name Louise.

If I am on any social media site such as Facebook I would use my middle name rather than my surname because I hate it so much! 

On 22.6.2017 at 0:25 PM, Lau_Lou said:

Mine is not very inventive. It is the first three letters of my first name Lauren and first three of my middle name Louise.

If I am on any social media site such as Facebook I would use my middle name rather than my surname because I hate it so much! 

Ah, so that's the story! I've wondered about your username :)  I'm sorry that you hate your surname :(  I won't pry and ask what it is. 

15 hours ago, frankie said:

Ah, so that's the story! I've wondered about your username :)  I'm sorry that you hate your surname :(  I won't pry and ask what it is. 

Hehe I don't usually use this very often but it is what I have on goodreads too so I thought I'd use the same. I have so many nicknames it's very weird when people actually call me Lauren.

That's okay it's only because it's really common in my country. 

I suppose it's not that bad and just me being silly :lol:

5 minutes ago, Lau_Lou said:

That's okay it's only because it's really common in my country. 

I suppose it's not that bad and just me being silly :lol:

I don't know where you're from, but I'll assume you're a Brit and thus I would guess Smith, because that's what comes to mind as the most common GB name. Googled and found out Smith is the most common name, followed by Jones and Williams.  I quite like all those names :)  But yeah, I understand what you mean :)

On 22/06/2017 at 10:30 AM, Madeleine said:

This has been fascinating reading!  How do you pronounce your name Nollaig?

Null - ig. Null like mull, ig like fig.

English-accented people (including my OH) and American-accented people (like my old housemate) tend to say 'Nawl-ig' though. He calls me 'Nawls' (rhymes with dolls). Should be 'Nulls' :giggle:

On 6/27/2017 at 1:06 PM, Nollaig said:

Null - ig. Null like mull, ig like fig.

English-accented people (including my OH) and American-accented people (like my old housemate) tend to say 'Nawl-ig' though. He calls me 'Nawls' (rhymes with dolls). Should be 'Nulls' :giggle:

And there was me thinking it was pronounced Noel-lage!

Scrolling through this and thought I would have answered this one. 'Inver' was chosen a simple one I chose for a bookie site name originally. We had a caravan at site called 'Inver Mill' so just shortened it.

11 hours ago, Raven said:

And there was me thinking it was pronounced Noel-lage!

It's an odd one, even some Irish people don't pronounce it right (they say null-uch or null-ug). That happens with Irish names though, dialect comes into it a bit as well as accent.

I'm not even sure how to pronounce the 'lage' part of that!

5 minutes ago, Onion Budgie said:

Mine is a wordplay on the Indian snack, onion bhaji.  No particular reason for it other than I like wordplay almost as much as I like budgies. :D 

I have wondered about your username! Thank goodness I didn't have to ask and you explained it yourself, willingly and voluntarily :D