The meaning behind your forum names

Virginia

I see some really interesting members names and I'm curious as to what they mean or why you chose them. I'm sure there are some interesting stories behind them!

I'll start, I chose Virginia because, well, that's where I'm from originally. Born and raised in the Commonwealth of Virginia and its a beautiful state. Its also the origin of my maternal and paternal families.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose it because it's just my favourite place to be. I love the cafe on the beach at Burton Bradstock where I can sit with a lovely cup of coffee and read a book looking out at the fantastic Jurassic coastline of Dorset (see my avatar :D). We used to go on holiday there when I was a child, and I still visit regularly now. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and if anyone wants to see what it looks like, there's a website www.chesilbeach.org

Oh, and I had it BEFORE Ian McEwan's novel was published, so please don't think it had anything to do with that!!!! I haven't enjoyed any of his books that I've read. :(

Emelee is an english "translation" (done by me) of Emilia, which still isn't my actual name (it's too common of a name in Sweden, so I don't want to use that), but it is a combination of my names. Emma Cecilia = Emilia = Emelee  :giggle:

Funny enough, Emilia is the Name Day on my birthday. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_day

Edited by emelee

I use sugarmonkey on most forums I'm on.  Monkey is the nickname I've called my son since he was a few hours old, and I added sugar to it when he was diagnosed with diabetes and I joined my first online forum.  Sugarmonkey was taken on here, so I changed it to bookmonkey.

Emelee is an english "translation" (done by me) of Emilia, which still isn't my actual name (it's too common of a name in Sweden, so I don't want to use that), but it is a combination of my names. Emma Cecilia = Emilia = Emelee  :giggle:

That is a beautiful name!  Wow.

Edited by Anna Begins

Melodious Thunk was the nick name given to Thelonious Monk by his wife.

He was a jazz pianist. His full name was Thelonious Sphere Monk. Hippy parents I guess :P

There is a brewery about 5 hours north from here, on the coast with a Belgium beer named Brother Thelonious, after Monk, I believe, check it out:

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-brotherThelonious.htm

I'm not big on Belgium's, but this one is good.  My mom likes it a lot as well.  Cheers!

Well my online name ought not to bo too much of a mystery those of you who have read some of Pratchett's Discworld novels. Especially the ones with Sir Samuel Vimes the Duke of Ankh in them...lol

This is a really interesting idea for a thread!

My real name is Gaia and when I needed an online alias (I had one before but I stopped liking it because it was the name my ex-boyfriend thought up for me), several things happened that made me choose this name. Gaia is the Greek Mother Earth and when I was a teenager I started to write an autobiographical story with the main character named Minerva, the Latin name for the goddess known as Athena in Greek. She is the goddess of war and wisdom. Around the same time I had to think of this new name, my brother bought me a little statue of Athena as a souvenir from his trip. My boyfriend also suggested Athena as the name to pick. So those reasons made me pick Athena. I did think about having it as Gaia sometimes but it feels a bit personal and on a lot of sites it's already taken.

A little off-topic.

I would like to change my name. I think it has run-it's course.

What would you like to change it into? I don't know Michelle's policy regarding the changing of a name but I know it should be possible in the forum software. Let me know what name you want and I'll forward your request to her.

Mine should be pretty self-explanatory... 

Although I believe I used to have it as Enthusiast back on the old boards. I imagine it was because I've always been rather enthusiastic about what I do - whether it's learning something new, or on-going hobbies (like reading books, of course!).

Rather boringly - it's my name! There was a reason for this, rather than me just being unimaginative. At around the same time that I joined this forum, I also joined another where you forum name had to be your actual name, so I just did the same for both. At least I don't forget it!

I used to be Bagpuss on here - I can't remember why I decided to change to my own name now!

I had to google Bagpuss! Awww cute :)

(Maybe you changed your username to your own name when you became a mod/admin? :shrug:)

Mine is also just my name. My parents decided on my name as my mother was a fan of The Magic Roundabout. I guess I got lucky, I could have been called Zebedee. :D

I had to google TMR, too :D Zebedee would've been a cool name :lol:

When I was a teenager, I really liked the name Frankie, and especially for a girl. There was this TV series called Sisters where there were four sisters and they all had female names that could be shortened to male nicknames (I think their father desperately wanted a son but that didn't happen... :giggle:), and there was a character called Frankie. I don't remember if I liked the name Frankie before or after watching the show... I also think that the movie Frankie & Johnny played into the whole Frankie thing.  

I don't remember why I decided to go with 'frankie' in the end, I guess I thought that this being an English forum, I should probably choose something English, and thought of frankie. :shrug: In hindsight, I'm very happy with it :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

I'm sure that brought on some interesting situations in school :D

That was the same with my name - there were 3 Ian's in my primary school class. Then my first girlfriend had an older brother called Ian, and he had named his son Ian. They were known as Big Ian and little Ian. So I came on the scene, I was known as middle Ian. Very confusing!