The meaning behind your forum names

Virginia

That was the same with my name - there were 3 Ian's in my primary school class. Then my first girlfriend had an older brother called Ian, and he had named his son Ian. They were known as Big Ian and little Ian. So I came on the scene, I was known as middle Ian. Very confusing!

:D

Your name always makes me think of this:

http://imgur.com/gallery/ybF1a

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is also just my name. My parents decided on my name as my mother was a fan of The Magic Roundabout. I guess I got lucky, I could have been called Zebedee. :D

haha

My name comes from that we are called Geordies from Newcastle & the 9 is off my favourite footballer Alan Shearer

Love all the stories! Great idea for a thread.

I've used pontalba on most forums for about the last ten years. Although when I first came online I used a family nickname. I dropped that as too personal.

I wanted to use a name that was in tune with my geographical location, and one that embodied the traits I admire. The name comes from the Baroness Pontalba, a woman from the early days of New Orleans. I'd read her biography and was impressed with both her many accomplishments, and her survival skills. Not to mention her entrepreneurial skills. Her apartment buildings still stand in our French Quarter, gorgeous and occupied to this day. Here is a link http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micaela_Almonester,_Baroness_de_Pontalba

I originally had a slightly different name (just my surname with my first initial), but when I realised others used their first names here, I changed mine. A somewhat little-known fact is that Kylie is an Aboriginal word for 'boomerang'. :D I used to be so grateful that kids weren't generally aware of this fact because I'm sure I would have been teased a lot if they knew! :)

Emelee. I agree with Anna. You have a lovely name. :)

Janet, I remember when you were Bagpuss! I feel so old...:D

A little off-topic.

I would like to change my name. I think it has run-it's course.

I think the Admins can change your name for you if you want. It's certainly do-able. It's just recommended that you add something to your signature for a while so we all know that the 'new' person is really good ol' muggles. (Personally, I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to stop calling you muggles!)

I don't remember why I decided to go with 'frankie' in the end, I guess I thought that this being an English forum, I should probably choose something English, and thought of frankie. :shrug: In hindsight, I'm very happy with it :smile2:

I've always loved your name here. :) (And I love your real name too, of course! Even if I can't even pronounce it. :giggle:)

That was the same with my name - there were 3 Ian's in my primary school class. Then my first girlfriend had an older brother called Ian, and he had named his son Ian. They were known as Big Ian and little Ian. So I came on the scene, I was known as middle Ian. Very confusing!

Haha. We used to have a next-door neighbour named Tom, and he named his son Tom, so we called them Big Tom and Little Tom (not to their faces—just when we were talking among ourselves).

Raven: From the Poe, via The Simpsons.

I think I once asked you about this and you didn't give me a straight answer (what a shock!) Glad to finally know. The Raven is probably my favourite-ever Simpsons thing (along with the tribute episode to The Beatles).

I wanted to use a name that was in tune with my geographical location, and one that embodied the traits I admire. The name comes from the Baroness Pontalba, a woman from the early days of New Orleans. I'd read her biography and was impressed with both her many accomplishments, and her survival skills. Not to mention her entrepreneurial skills. Her apartment buildings still stand in our French Quarter, gorgeous and occupied to this day. Here is a link http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micaela_Almonester,_Baroness_de_Pontalba

Very interesting! Glad to finally know the story behind your name. I'm not sure why I never thought to ask before!

Janet, I remember when you were Bagpuss! I feel so old... :D

I think the Admins can change your name for you if you want. It's certainly do-able. It's just recommended that you add something to your signature for a while so we all know that the 'new' person is really good ol' muggles. (Personally, I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to stop calling you muggles!)

That just means you've been my friend for a long time, Kylie.  :hug:

Muggle Not - I missed your post, but if you PM me with your choice of name I will amend it for you (as long as it's not in use already) but yes, if you can just add "formerly known as Muggle Not" in your signature for a few weeks that will help people identify you.  :)

Muggle Not - I missed your post, but if you PM me with your choice of name I will amend it for you (as long as it's not in use already) but yes, if you can just add "formerly known as Muggle Not" in your signature for a few weeks that will help people identify you.  :)

And that clown is creepy :giggle2:  ;)

I tend to use MJMoore on most forums, but when I set this up, I stayed with Michelle, my name. 

As a name, it's a very popular one in my generation.. there were 4 of us in my primary school class!

In Xan's class at school, there are two kids called Riley Anderson - one boy, and one girl. They boy gets his middle name hitched on and goes by Riley Murray, so that everyone knows who's being spoken to. :)

In Xan's class at school, there are two kids called Riley Anderson - one boy, and one girl. They boy gets his middle name hitched on and goes by Riley Murray, so that everyone knows who's being spoken to. :)

Just imagine the confusion, should they ever get together . . .

That just means you've been my friend for a long time, Kylie.  :hug:

I am thinking on a new name. :) Help anyone! :)

If I do change will everything else stay the same or will it be like I'm a new member?

And that clown is creepy :giggle2:  ;)

The clown is a painting that my cousin did. The clown reminds me of the Stephen King book "IT" which is my favorite of his. I put it up for haloween and I guess it is time for something new. She is a pretty good artist. She gave me about 8+ paintings and we have them at different locations in our house. She used to send me an email of everything she painted and I kept a folder of all them. Sometime I will post some of them. I did that many years ago and most members liked them. :)

Edited by muggle not

The clown is a painting that my cousin did. The clown reminds me of the Stephen King book "IT" which is my favorite of his. I put it up for haloween and I guess it is time for something new. She is a pretty good artist. She gave me about 8+ paintings and we have them at different locations in our house. She used to send me an email of everything she painted and I kept a folder of all them. Sometime I will post some of them. I did that many years ago and most members liked them. :)

I remember that, she is very talented. :)

I am thinking on a new name. :) Help anyone! :)

If I do change will everything else stay the same or will it be like I'm a new member?

Everything else will stay the same :). It's just a matter of changing your name in the database. All your previous posts will have your new name next to them.

I use the name SunnyShadows because I think I can be quite contradictory at times. I get quite down sometimes, and I think very deeply about things, but at the same time, I'm a very cheerful person. I also suffer with some social anxiety, but people always say I'm very chatty and confident, and I've even sung karaoke in public. So, I thought a 'Sunny Shadow' described me quite well. :D

Not to mention when reviewing a book, I like to take various viewpoints, and give both the 'Sunny' (good side) and the 'Shadows' (bad side).

I also just wanted to use the word 'Shadow' in it. XD

I use the name SunnyShadows because I think I can be quite contradictory at times. I get quite down sometimes, and I think very deeply about things, but at the same time, I'm a very cheerful person. I also suffer with some social anxiety, but people always say I'm very chatty and confident, and I've even sung karaoke in public. So, I thought a 'Sunny Shadow' described me quite well. :D

Not to mention when reviewing a book, I like to take various viewpoints, and give both the 'Sunny' (good side) and the 'Shadows' (bad side).

I also just wanted to use the word 'Shadow' in it. XD

That's quite interesting :)!

I originally had a slightly different name (just my surname with my first initial), but when I realised others used their first names here, I changed mine. A somewhat little-known fact is that Kylie is an Aboriginal word for 'boomerang'. :D I used to be so grateful that kids weren't generally aware of this fact because I'm sure I would have been teased a lot if they knew! :)

Emelee. I agree with Anna. You have a lovely name. :)

I love the name Kylie. Had no idea what it meant. Oh heck, still love it. :)

And thank you. :)

• 3 weeks later...

It's lovely learning how people came about their SN/username. When I come across certain names I often wonder at the story behind them.

The story behind mine is quite boring lol. Some of you know that my first name is Jones and being so I always try to use the SN Jonesy, which is my usual form of address by family and friends, but being such a common name, a common surname anyway, as I'm yet to meet another with the Jones moniker as a first name...on a philosophy forum I belong to I had been using Jonesy for approx. two years before one poster realized I was not male, but a female; I guess my ambiguous avatar didn't help...I digress...being such a common name it was already taken. So, being the unoriginal person I am I simply used my middle name initial and part of my surname for Calexa which is my fallback name.

I think Jonesy is a cute name :). Calexa is great too. That wasn't a boring story, I found it interesting :).

P.S. I also don't like it when people assume I'm male. I used to use a different name, on different sites, before I found this forum, and people always assumed I was male. It was very tiring (though on occasion it could be funny).