The Maze Runner - James Dashner

Devi

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 59, reading it today and hoping to finish today, if not tomorrow.  I only have some 15 Chapters or so left. I think that will  go quickly once I get back into the rhythm of the book. 

Anyway, found this on Amazon, thought you all'd think it amusing:

A Letter from James Dashner: Top Ten Things I’d Want During the Apocalypse
10. Very, very strong sunglasses.

9. Lots of plastic to wrap around my house.

8. A stranger taken in who happens to be the smartest, ablest doctor in a thousand years.

7. A server containing every show that’s ever been on HBO and a nice entertainment system on which to watch it all.

6. An e-reader loaded with 5,000 books.

5. A generator and a gas refinery next door to provide fuel so I can watch all those shows and charge my e-reader.

4. Deodorant that smells like a rotting dead body so zombies think I’m just one of them.

3. Lifetime supplies in my basement of the following: hot dogs, Almond Joys, potato chips, and Mountain Dew.

2. A cloaking device to hide my house from the tyrannical, evil, bloodthirsty government that will inevitably spring up.

1. Oh, and my wife and kids.

I finished The Death Cure this morning. I was going to continue on with The Kill Order because I would feel like I had left the series 'incomplete' if I didn't read it, but honestly, I just can't be bothered with it. The first three books were enjoyable page-turners, but I had sooo many problems with the series and the writing that I want to move on to other things now rather than slog through the last book. After reading Gaia's review and other reviews on Goodreads, I can tell that I won't enjoy it, so I'll be ending the series here. (And after all, the last book is the prequel, so I'll just pretend it doesn't exist. ;))

I'm glad you liked the first three books, though it's a shame you had many problems with the series. Anything you haven't mentioned already?

I'm still happy to tell you what happens in The Kill Order if you want to know, but I totally understand if you're done with the series.

I hope your next reads will be more enjoyable :).

I don't even know if I want to finish The Death Cure at this point. I'm almost halfway through. Will post my thoughts soon.

I don't even know if I want to finish The Death Cure at this point. I'm almost halfway through. Will post my thoughts soon.

I got about 1/2 way and hit a stall as well but ended up finishing it.  It's not a bad ending, if you want to hang with it.  I mean, it gives you a sense of closure.

I finished The Maze Runner, but I wasn't that impressed with it. I'm not a huge fan of Young Adult fiction, but I found this one very poorly written, and the characters were one-dimensional. I did a fair amount of skimming towards the end, and the premise just seems so far fetched and silly. Needless to say, I won't be reading the sequels. :D

I finished The Maze Runner, but I wasn't that impressed with it. I'm not a huge fan of Young Adult fiction, but I found this one very poorly written, and the characters were one-dimensional. I did a fair amount of skimming towards the end, and the premise just seems so far fetched and silly. Needless to say, I won't be reading the sequels. :D

:( 

It's so funny, you and I read some of the same books, but end up with different opinions of them- ever noticed that? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Newt in The Death Cure:

I'm sorry but I thought his death scene pretty annoying. I liked Newt but the whole thing was so drawn out. How many times did he have to beg Thomas to kill him before Thomas finally did it? I was just thinking 'geez, get it over with already!' Not very sympathetic, am I?  :giggle: 

Bobblybear, it's just as well you stopped reading. I'm certain that your opinion wouldn't have changed over the next couple of books. I kind of wish I had stopped at the first book, but my curiosity got the better of me. Definitely the most disappointing books I've read in quite a while.

Speaking of Newt in The Death Cure:

I'm sorry but I thought his death scene pretty annoying. I liked Newt but the whole thing was so drawn out. How many times did he have to beg Thomas to kill him before Thomas finally did it? I was just thinking 'geez, get it over with already!' Not very sympathetic, am I?  :giggle: 

:giggle2:

Bobblybear, it's just as well you stopped reading. I'm certain that your opinion wouldn't have changed over the next couple of books. I kind of wish I had stopped at the first book, but my curiosity got the better of me. Definitely the most disappointing books I've read in quite a while.

Aww!  I'm sorry you felt that way!  I think I should've stopped at the end of The Scorch Trials, but I had to find out what happened in the last book.  I gave up before I read the prequel.

I finished The Maze Runner the other day and moved straight onto The Scorch trials, which I am maybe about a third of the way through now.  I am enjoying them fine, quite fast moving and easy reading; I have had the feeling that they would have been as well being one book rather than split into two, though.  I bought the trilogy from The Book People, and had been wondering whether to buy the prequel to make the full set, but probably won't bother based on other comments on the thread!

Heck. The first two books made into one would of been awesome. That's all it really needed.

To me, it felt like James was rushed and forced with the third. Apparently I was just a couple of chapters away from newt before I stopped...

Dare I say... Looks like I dodged a bullet!

thank you thank you, here all day...

*walks off stage*

Edited by Devi

Heck. The first two books made into one would of been awesome. That's all it really needed.

To me, it felt like James was rushed and forced with the third. Apparently I was just a couple of chapters away from newt before I stopped...

Dare I say... Looks like I dodged a bullet!

thank you thank you, here all day...

*walks off stage*

:giggle2:  :giggle2:

It received so much praise and positive reviews that I assumed I would enjoy it. The plot sounded quite interesting too, but it just came across and dull and poorly written. :thud: Nevermind, I have plenty of other books on my TBR pile to read. :D

• 2 months later...

I was just looking up this trilogy on Wikipedia to remind myself of the plot of the third book (I've forgotten it already!) and I noticed that James Dashner is bringing out another prequel in 2016, to be called The Fever Code. It looks like it will be about the rest of the Gladers and their time there before Thomas arrived.

Needless to say, I have no interest in reading it. What about you, Athena?

I'm definitely gonna read it. His writing is terrible but I love the actual story of the first book and would love to at least find out conceptually what happened, even if I can't enjoy the prose it's told in :lol:

I was just looking up this trilogy on Wikipedia to remind myself of the plot of the third book (I've forgotten it already!) and I noticed that James Dashner is bringing out another prequel in 2016, to be called The Fever Code. It looks like it will be about the rest of the Gladers and their time there before Thomas arrived.

Needless to say, I have no interest in reading it. What about you, Athena?

I didn't know there was going to be a new book, so thanks for that, Kylie :). I didn't really like the first prequel a lot but I did like the trilogy, so I might read this book. I don't think I'll be pre-ordering it as I'd rather read some reviews around the internet first to see what people think and what the book is like.