The Maze Runner - James Dashner

Devi

Welcome to the Maze Runner group read. Goal is to read all three books in November, but it's a pretty flexible rule.

There are three books and a prequel.

Maze Runner

The Scorch Trials

The Death Cure

and the prequel The Kill Order

Athena, go ahead and add anything else I missed to this post. :)

Athena's Note:

Please use spoiler tags whenever you discuss a spoiler from one or multiple of the books, so the people who haven't yet read the book(s) will be able to follow the discussion too without having the book(s) spoiled for them.

Edited by Athena
Added Spoiler Tags Note

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, I didn't realise we'd be reading all three! I only have the first two books, but I'm pretty sure I have the third one in the ebook format.

I assume we'll be using spoiler tags in case one of us is ahead of the others? Just in case, I haven't included any spoilers below.

I've read about one-third of The Maze Runner so far (up to chapter 20). There's a lot of mysteries that make it a real page-turner, so I'm really rather enjoying it and eager to find out what happens next.

So far, the only gripe I have is with some (or most) of the characters' reactions to things, which I find a little odd and jarring. For instance, one second Thomas appears to really like Chuck, and then a couple of seconds later he seems to despise him. Also, characters like Alby and Newt appear sort of friendly one moment and then angry the next, for virtually no reason. Maybe teenage boys are just like this? :) I don't know. It just doesn't ring true for me. I just try to ignore it and carry on.

OK, I have another gripe. The Grievers seem a little silly to me. Scary, but silly.

Does anyone have any theories as to what the maze is all about and why the characters are there?

I agree, spoiler tags would be a good idea :).

I will start reading the first book after the read-a-thon this weekend. I'm glad you're liking it so far, Kylie! You don't have to read all the books if you don't want to, I have all four of them so I'll be reading all of them (unless I really dislike it or such, but I hope I'll like it).

I'm sorry to hear about your two gripes, but will be able to comment more on them once I start reading too.

So far, the only gripe I have is with some (or most) of the characters' reactions to things, which I find a little odd and jarring. For instance, one second Thomas appears to really like Chuck, and then a couple of seconds later he seems to despise him. Also, characters like Alby and Newt appear sort of friendly one moment and then angry the next, for virtually no reason. Maybe teenage boys are just like this? :) I don't know. It just doesn't ring true for me. I just try to ignore it and carry on.

I too have noticed this and feel the same way, and I am only five chapters in.

Edited by Devi

I'm not at the Grievers part yet, but I saw the movie and they were pretty silly in that too. Just started today- I couldn't wait for Monday- now on chapter 6, but might read more before bed.

Edited a million times because I'm using a touch screen.

Edited by Anna Begins

Those grievers make the book less... I dunno. I just don't enjoy reading about them at all, the book could do without them.

So I started the book yesterday and am now in chapter 29, page 186. I'm liking it so far, it's quite enjoyable. There are still a lot of questions to be answered and I look forward to find out the answers. I also don't know why some of the characters behave so oddly one time compared to the next, this does seem weird. The Grievers didn't bother me so, I look forward to find out more about them.

Is it just the science fiction aspect of the Grievers that is a bother?  I think it is for me, the rest is sort of believable- the Maze, the kids put there, etc as far as the dystopian/ apocalyptic genre goes.  But the Grievers stick out as way out there.  Does that make sense?

I finished The Maze Runner yesterday and really enjoyed it. The Grievers didn't bother me to be honest, I felt they added some more tension to the story, and I'm not sure how exactly the story would've worked without them. The last part of the book went by really quick for me, I wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen. I thought some of the things that happened near the end were pretty cool and interesting.

I started to read The Scorch Trials yesterday and I'm liking it a lot so far. I look forward to see what will happen.

I think for me, they feel like they were added as a last minute type thing to give the story a reason for the maze runners. Just me though. I am only halfway through the first book. Suppose I better get a move on.

I think for me, they feel like they were added as a last minute type thing to give the story a reason for the maze runners. Just me though. I am only halfway through the first book. Suppose I better get a move on.

You don't need to rush on our behalf! I totally understand if it takes you a bit more time :friends0:.

Just me though. I am only halfway through the first book. Suppose I better get a move on.

I'm behind all of you, so don't worry :P I need to get a move on!!  I'm thinking I will have a lot of catch up time when school is out for Thanksgiving break around the 26- 30th.  Hopefully, will be in the middle to end or so in The Scorch Trials by then and ready for The Death Cure.

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm just a little ahead of you on Chapter 42. :) I think I'm enjoying this one better than the first. The characters' reactions to things seem to be getting more 'normal' (or maybe I'm finally getting used to the writing) and the 'horror' element in this book is more impressive to me (the Cranks compared to the Grievers).

I'll post more thoughts on The Maze Runner later.

I just finished The Scorch Trials, wow what a book.. and how can it end there! So I must move on to book three immediately :D. I also thought the Cranks were quite an interesting element. I'll be posting my review soon (I've just written it). Overall though I have to say I quite liked the book, it's different than the first one but there's also plenty of similarities. I enjoyed both to be honest (though maybe in different ways), and the story does feel as if it's meant as one whole. I'm really curious as to what's exactly going on with (do not read if you haven't read book one):

WICKED

and (do not read if you haven't read books one and two):

with the world, the Flare and what actually happened with Thomas before they wiped his memory.

Ok I have a question in The Maze Runner,

Thomas says he thinks the Gladers that stayed behind were probably being swarmed by Grievers. Didn't they shut them down with the code and the button?

I'm on to The Scorch Trials.

I think I am the only one still on the first book.

I don't know if that's the case, but either way :friends0:. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll all don't mind discussing it with you as well once you've finished it :). It's not your fault you can't read as often because of your MS :empathy:. How far are you in the book?

I don't know if that's the case, but either way :friends0:. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll all don't mind discussing it with you as well once you've finished it :). It's not your fault you can't read as often because of your MS :empathy:. How far are you in the book?

Chapter 40