What's Up In November? - 2014

chesilbeach

This morning we went for a walk with the dogs, it was beautifully foggy so I quite enjoyed looking at that. The dog I was holding, she got scared from this mean dog who lives across the street, and I fell down and scraped some parts of me. The pain is slowly fading now.

Aw!  I'm so sorry!  You just twisted your ankle too the other day :flowers2:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A light sprinkle of snow this morning, a nice change from the soggy grey yesterday. I will accompany three boys to an activity park this afternoon. I'm planning to study, not do any "activities"- I've taken up the economics studies again that I never finished, plus I'm studying what might be called "Information Studies" in English. That's what you need to study to work in a library- all of the studies I need are available as Open University courses and online, and if I manage to keep at it I'll be a librarian in 2016!  

I might be a Bachelor of economics in 2015. But somehow, that doesn't have the same appeal to me. Anyway, I've found a sympathetic teacher, am almost done sorting out the paperwork of it all, and am doing some assignments the teacher thought would be good to refresh my memory of my previous studies.  

Oh! And I had some mail yesterday- the books that I won in the Halloween competition! Yay!

Edited by SaraPepparkaka

Aw!  I'm so sorry!  You just twisted your ankle too the other day :flowers2:

A light sprinkle of snow this morning, a nice change from the soggy grey yesterday. I will accompany three boys to an activity park this afternoon. I'm planning to study, not do any "activities"- I've taken up the economics studies again that I never finished, plus I'm studying what might be called "Information Studies" in English. That's what you need to study to work in a library- all of the studies I need are available as Open University courses and online, and if I manage to keep at it I'll be a librarian in 2016!  

I might be a Bachelor of economics in 2015. But somehow, that doesn't have the same appeal to me. Anyway, I've found a sympathetic teacher, am almost done sorting out the paperwork of it all, and am doing some assignments the teacher thought would be good to refresh my memory of my previous studies.  

Oh! And I had some mail yesterday- the books that I won in the Halloween competition! Yay!

A librarian! That sounds nice :). Good luck with your studies!

My birthday today. Doing nothing out of the ordinary. Why the world doesn't stop to celebrate me is beyond me.  :giggle:

Oh my gosh!!! Happy Birthday!!  :balloons: I can't stop today to celebrate for you, but I can pause for a few minutes :smile:

Happy Birthday Emelee.  :flowers2:

My son came to stay overnight.  :smile: Haven't seen him for 6 months, so this was very very good. I am a happy mum!  :D  He will be coming to stay again over the Christmas break too, so I can do a proper catch up/ feed up with him. 

My birthday today. Doing nothing out of the ordinary. Why the world doesn't stop to celebrate me is beyond me.  :giggle:

Happy Birthday Emelee!! I hope you enjoy your day :).

My son came to stay overnight.  :smile: Haven't seen him for 6 months, so this was very very good. I am a happy mum!  :D  He will be coming to stay again over the Christmas break too, so I can do a proper catch up/ feed up with him.

I'm glad you had fun spending time with him and I hope you have fun in the Christmas holidays too :).

I had a headache for most of today, so I didn't feel up for doing much. I had a bath (gladly after that my head felt a bit better) and did do a lot of reading. This weekend I plan to do a bit of (Christmas) shopping if I feel up for it, I hope to buy a tree and some lights and decorations.

Thanks!  :exc:

Now that my b-day has passed, it's time to look forward to Christmas with the music, the decorations, the tinsel and glow of the holidays. 

Do you in the UK celebrate advent? 

In Sweden, we celebrate the 4 Sundays of advent. 1st advent is November 30th this year. The first candle is lit. 

adventsljus.jpg

And of course, 1st of December is the beginning of the Christmas countdown with the Advent calendar or Christmas calendar (usually for children, but I buy a chocolate calendar each year. Once piece of chocolate a day).

8300_adventskalender_02.jpg hotel-chocolat-ultimate-milk-chocolate-a

My municipality is arranging a party for me!
Well, not only for me. For all of us that has moved here this past year. 

We'll get food and Christmas beverage and cookies, entertainment, the municipal commissioner etc will greet us and we'll get a gift.  :present:  :011:

I thought all discounts I got after moving here was enough. That's usually what you get when you move to a new municipality. Last time I moved, I got like 50 discounts for different stores. But now I get discounts AND a party AND a gift. 
I should move more often!  :rolol:

Today I officially became a blood donor. My first time giving blood. It went excellent. Blood count, iron and everything was perfect. They found a perfect vein and they spoiled me. I got 3 lemonades and 2 sandwiches. They were thrilled that I have A+ blood group too, since it's the most wanted/common. So I feel happy about today.  :P

Today I officially became a blood donor. My first time giving blood. It went excellent. Blood count, iron and everything was perfect. They found a perfect vein and they spoiled me. I got 3 lemonades and 2 sandwiches. They were thrilled that I have A+ blood group too, since it's the most wanted/common. So I feel happy about today.  :P

Good for you!  And for the good health too!  Did you know if you get tattoo's you can't give blood in the US?  I usually end up with one a year so I can't give :smile: And that is super cool about the party/ gifts/ discounts... :o just for moving there??  I think I need to seek out this Sweden :P

Good for you!  And for the good health too!  Did you know if you get tattoo's you can't give blood in the US?  I usually end up with one a year so I can't give :smile: And that is super cool about the party/ gifts/ discounts... :o just for moving there??  I think I need to seek out this Sweden :P

In Sweden, you are allowed to give blood if you have a tattoo, but 6 months must have passed between getting a tattoo and giving blood. I have a tattoo. 

You get gifts for moving to a new municipality. I think all municipalities send some kind of gift. Mostly discounts. But some go further and arrange parties for new people. I think especially small towns do that, because they are so happy to get more people. 

In Sweden, you are allowed to give blood if you have a tattoo, but 6 months must have passed between getting a tattoo and giving blood. I have a tattoo. 

In the UK the same restriction applies although I think the wait time is 4 months and also includes piercings.

The municipal parties sound like a superb idea.

Emelee, I hope you have fun at the party! It's great you're in good health, too :)!

I've never heard of tattoos giving a problem of blood giving, but I don't know anyone I know well in the Netherlands who has one (that I know of). Is it because the ink gets in the blood?

On December 8 we are driving up to Washington, DC for our semi-annual doctor's appointment/checkup. We will drive back the same day.

On December 9 we are driving up to Charlottesville, VA for our semi-annual dentist appointment/checkup. We will drive back the same day after we drive over the Blue Ridge Mountains and down into the Shenandoah Valley where we will go to our favorite Greenhouse to buy some Poinsettia's for Christmas. They have the nicest selection to choose from. See the link for the different types and advise which are your favorites:

http://www.milmont.com/_ccLib/attachments/pages/2014+Milmont+Poinsettia+Catalog_retail.pdf

Edited by muggle not

Emelee, I hope you have fun at the party! It's great you're in good health, too :)!

I've never heard of tattoos giving a problem of blood giving, but I don't know anyone I know well in the Netherlands who has one (that I know of). Is it because the ink gets in the blood?

I imagine its due to the possibility of blood born infections. A tattoo is basically a wound which needs to heal and your body needs to fight off any infections trying to get in. The wait period is probably to ensure that enough time has passed to allow any kind of blood infection from the tattoo to be fought off by the body and the tattoo fully healed.

On December 8 we are driving up to Washington, DC for our semi-annual doctor's appointment/checkup. We will drive back the same day.

On December 9 we are driving up to Charlottesville, VA for our semi-annual dentist appointment/checkup. We will drive back the same day after we drive over the Blue Ridge Mountains and down into the Shenandoah Valley where we will go to our favorite Greenhouse to buy some Poinsettia's for Christmas. They have the nicest selection to choose from. See the link for the different types and advise which are your favorites:

http://www.milmont.com/_ccLib/attachments/pages/2014+Milmont+Poinsettia+Catalog_retail.pdf

Good luck with your checkups! And I hope you have fun with the drive and such :).

I imagine its due to the possibility of blood born infections. A tattoo is basically a wound which needs to heal and your body needs to fight off any infections trying to get in. The wait period is probably to ensure that enough time has passed to allow any kind of blood infection from the tattoo to be fought off by the body and the tattoo fully healed.

That makes sense, thanks :).

I have two days of rest now, then I have another appointment with my therapist, we'll be discussing a yearly plan. I don't really know what it will be like. Next week I'm hoping to go to the book fair and visit my sister. I've been quite tired the past few days so I hope I can rest a bit in the next while.

Well done! The world needs blood donors!

The next weeks I have a lot of appointments with the GGZ (ie. with my therapist, my nurse, my psychiatrist and the ambulante help). We're also going to the book fair and we'll have lunch out with my sister at her work. Hopefully I won't get too tired from all this. For today though I've done all the chores and housework I had to do, so I'm going to relax now with a book :).

We travelled across to France on Thursday first thing. We wanted to visit a few military cemeteries before heading across to Brugge in Belgium for the night. We had a moving and tiring day that filled us with such sadness and gratitude.

We slept like logs on Thursday night with all the fresh air and walking knocking us out. On Friday morning we headed off to catch the first day of the Brugge Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival, an event we try and catch every year. This year's theme was 'The Land Of The Hobs' - that was The Hobbit inspired! Wonderful stuff as always, and once we had walked through it twice we stopped to have a hot chocolate at the in-house Ice Bar where we sat on fur rugs that had been thrown across ice seats.

From there we walked around the first day of Brugge's Christmas Market, had lunch, bought some chocolates and then made our way back to the car laden down with bags containing some wonderful crafts as presents. We got home on Friday evening exhausted but happy, and have spent the rest of the weekend taking it pretty easy - giving our feet and legs time to recover.  :smile:

On Friday morning we headed off to catch the first day of the Brugge Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival, an event we try and catch every year. This year's theme was 'The Land Of The Hobs' - that was The Hobbit inspired! Wonderful stuff as always, and once we had walked through it twice we stopped to have a hot chocolate at the in-house Ice Bar where we sat on fur rugs that had been thrown across ice seats.

From there we walked around the first day of Brugge's Christmas Market, had lunch, bought some chocolates and then made our way back to the car laden down with bags containing some wonderful crafts as presents. We got home on Friday evening exhausted but happy, and have spent the rest of the weekend taking it pretty easy - giving our feet and legs time to recover.  :smile:

You probably just lived my life's dream... do you have any pictures?