Your Book Activity - November 2014

chesilbeach

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finished Capital by John Lanchester. Most definitely one of my favourites of the year. :readingtwo:

Now I have started Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.

Oh, I also bought The Giver by Lois Lowry as it's today's Kindle Daily Deal.

Edited by bobblybear

Finished reading The Fears of Henry IV, following on from going to see the RSC's Henry IV Parts 1 and 2 last week. It certainly filled in the holes I wanted filling in in a reasonably interesting fashion, even if not the most involving recent read. Started reading J Meade Falkner's Moonfleet, a reading group choice. A wander into the local bookshop yesterday saw me buy my next Penelope Fitzgerald: Human Voices. I do find her books mildly addictive.

Also finally got around to sorting out the books that Kay lent me this week! :smile2:

How many did you get, and did you get a copy of Gold? :D 

I am loving Matt Haig's The Humans, about an extraterrestrial writing about his experiences on Earth as a human, to his fellow aliens.  OMGosh I am actually laughing out loud at some of this stuff.  It's a dark comedy, and very enjoyable.  Easy, nice.  Refreshing.

I really really want to read this! Reading your post made me think of 3rd Rock from the Sun, I wonder if it's anything like that? That was a great show :D 

Now I have started Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.

Oooooh!!! Have many pages are you in? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you shall like it! :)

Oh, I also bought The Giver by Lois Lowry as it's today's Kindle Daily Deal.

That's a great novel, very thought provoking. I love Lois Lowry  :wub:

I started reading another Monk book last night, Mr. Monk Is Cleaned Out. I had to try and not laugh out loud, it was midnight and flatmate was sleeping. I couldn't help a snort or two, though!

I finished reading The Maze Runner a couple of days ago and have started on The Scorch Trials. :)

My only other book activity has involved repeatedly shooing my cat off the top of my new bookcase. (He goes up there when I have the ceiling fan on, and then I worry that he'll do something silly and get hurt!)

My only other book activity has involved repeatedly shooing my cat off the top of my new bookcase. (He goes up there when I have the ceiling fan on, and then I worry that he'll do something silly and get hurt!)

Oh dear! :( I hope you can figure out how to keep him off the bookcase soon!  :empathy:

Six!!! :smile2: I've listed them in this post in my book thread :)

Six! :D Score!  :giggle2:

Oooooh!!! Have many pages are you in? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you shall like it! :)

I'm only about one chapter in, so too early to tell. I hope to get a good chunk of reading done today. :boogie:

I've heard quite a bit about it, so also looking forward to reading it. :readingtwo:

How many did you get, and did you get a copy of Gold

I get so confused when people change their avatars. I read this and was like, 'who's the new red-headed person randomly talking about Gold'? Then I realised it was you (and yes, I know you changed your avatar a while ago, but it takes me ages to get used to it! :P)

I really really want to read this! Reading your post made me think of 3rd Rock from the Sun, I wonder if it's anything like that? That was a great show 

I started re-watching 3rd Rock recently! I must admit that I didn't enjoy it as much as I used to.  :lurker: 

I want to read The Humans too (on TBR pile), but I've had The Last Family in England on my TBR pile since you left it behind in 2010, so I think I should read that one first.

ETA: Oh wait, I have The Radleys on my TBR pile, not The Humans:doh: 

ETA: Oh, I was just about to excitedly ask you if you knew that Haig wrote a book called The Labrador Pact, and then I realised it's the same book as The Last Family in England:doh: 

I'm still in awe that she wrote back to you! :)

It looks like a lot of people here are having fun reading times :)!

I'm doing my usual read-a-thon short book reads, I'm currently reading Norma Fox Mazer - Missing Pieces. After this weekend I plan on starting The Maze Runner.

In other book related activity, I have won a book (I hardly ever enter giveaways but I seem to be very lucky lately!) by Gayle Foreman (Als Ik Blijf or If I Stay in English)! I've also received three Catherine Ryan Hyde books that I ordered for myself, more books will come in the post soon hopefully.

I'm now up to date with Nicholas Nickleby and have dived into some non fiction - the murky world of police and Scotland Yard corruption has taken my fancy.

I may be some time - it's an easy read but there's a lot to process and it's 765 pages :D

I finished reading The Maze Runner a couple of days ago and have started on The Scorch Trials. :)

Already??  That was fast :smile: I hope to finish next week., then start on The Scorch Trials.

I want to read The Humans too (on TBR pile), but I've had The Last Family in England on my TBR pile since you left it behind in 2010, so I think I should read that one first.

ETA: Oh wait, I have The Radleys on my TBR pile, not The Humans:doh:

ETA: Oh, I was just about to excitedly ask you if you knew that Haig wrote a book called The Labrador Pact, and then I realised it's the same book as The Last Family in England:doh: 

The Radley's looks good too, after The Humans, I am fully interested in checking out Haig's other stuff- and the Labrador Pact too :smile: I plan on reading a lot of shorter books next year and he fits right in with that as The Radley's is short too.  The Radley's sounds just as different as The Humans.

In other book related activity, I have won a book (I hardly ever enter giveaways but I seem to be very lucky lately!) by Gayle Foreman (Als Ik Blijf or If I Stay in English)! I've also received three Catherine Ryan Hyde books that I ordered for myself, more books will come in the post soon hopefully.

Congrats!!  You didn't tell me which one you won!  I saw the movie, it was really good.  Not as good as Fault in Our Stars, but thought provoking... I wonder if the book is like the movie...  Which CRH's did you order?

I'm only about one chapter in, so too early to tell. I hope to get a good chunk of reading done today. 

Okay, okay, I'll try and be patient :blush::D

I get so confused when people change their avatars. I read this and was like, 'who's the new red-headed person randomly talking about Gold'? Then I realised it was you (and yes, I know you changed your avatar a while ago, but it takes me ages to get used to it! )

:D I know it's confusing, but in my defense, I'm changing my avatars a lot less frequently than I used to! (And before you ask, it's Jamie Cavanagh from Anathema <3)

I started re-watching 3rd Rock recently! I must admit that I didn't enjoy it as much as I used to.  

Aaaaaw, that's a shame :( I admit some of the later seasons aren't that fascinating, but the early stuff is really good when they were so unaccustomed to things! Of course they always differed from humans but when the show went on, they knew a lot more things and got more adjusted. The early stuff is pretty golden, imho :)

I want to read The Humans too (on TBR pile), but I've had The Last Family in England on my TBR pile since you left it behind in 2010, so I think I should read that one first.

ETA: Oh wait, I have The Radleys on my TBR pile, not The Humans

:D Well The Radleys is a great read, too! And now you can always go and order The Humans :lurker::D (I'm annoyed that they don't have a copy of that at the library!)

ETA: Oh, I was just about to excitedly ask you if you knew that Haig wrote a book called The Labrador Pact, and then I realised it's the same book as The Last Family in England

:D I noticed that Anna Begins used the other name of the novel but it only took me a nanosecond to realize that it's the same novel. I really dislike different titles for one single novel!!

I'm still in awe that she wrote back to you!

Me too! It's still one of my most precious bookish moments :smile2:

As for my reading activity: I finished Mr. Monk Is Cleaned Out and started Mr. Monk Gets On Board. I was going to select something extra special for my 1,000th read, but I really wanted to read the Monk book after finishing the previous one so just went for it.

I also wrote to the library suggesting that they order all the books in the Monk series that they haven't already got in their selection. Fingers crossed!

:D Well The Radleys is a great read, too! And now you can always go and order The Humans :lurker::D (I'm annoyed that they don't have a copy of that at the library!)

:D I noticed that Anna Begins used the other name of the novel but it only took me a nanosecond to realize that it's the same novel. I really dislike different titles for one single novel!!

I'm glad to hear The Radley's is great too.

I had no idea it was a different book- I dislike that too.  There was a Jack Reacher that was a different title in the US, Running Blind, but was The Visitor.  :roll: Oh!  And NOS4A2 is different in the UK as well.

I'm glad to hear The Radley's is great too.

I had no idea it was a different book- I dislike that too.  There was a Jack Reacher that was a different title in the US, Running Blind, but was The Visitor.  :roll: Oh!  And NOS4A2 is different in the UK as well.

It's pretty safe to say that all Matt Haig's books are great :) I've only read one of his books that I didn't like that much, but I think it's at least partly to do with me not being in the right mood for it. I'm sure if I'd waited, I would've enjoyed it more. 

I really, really dislike all the confusing title changes! I know some people who've bought double copies because they didn't realize they already owned the book under a different title. Let's not mislead the good king reading public!!  :Tantrum:

I finished Daylighters this morning - the final book in this series - then read my Nicholas Nickleby instalment for this week, and have now started on Gold by Dan Rhodes. :D

Wohoo for Gold! :D No pressure...  :lurker:  :giggle2: 

I read 124 pages of Mr. Monk Gets On Board last night in bed. These books are just so enjoyable! 

I've finished this week's instalment of Nicholas Nickleby for our group read.  I've read a little more of A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (my daughter is keen for me to finish it so I can watch her DVD of it!) but it's not really engaging me so far...

I'm up to page 74 of 257 of this so far.  However I'm on the verge of giving up on it. :(   So far I just want to push two of the four main characters off the roof myself - and I'm not a violent woman in any way, shape or form!  :giggle2:

I'm reluctant to abandon it because it cost my hubby an extortionate €14.95 in Amsterdam (that's about £11.75) because he offered to buy me a book in Waterstone's whilst we were there (it had to have an orange cover.  :giggle: ) so I'll give it a little longer, but I'm not holding out much hope...

Note: some emoticons removed.

Congrats!!  You didn't tell me which one you won!  I saw the movie, it was really good.  Not as good as Fault in Our Stars, but thought provoking... I wonder if the book is like the movie...  Which CRH's did you order?

I haven't seen the film, but I've heard good things about the book and the film :). I ordered quite a few CRH :blush2:, I'll give you a list once they're all here :)

I fully agree! That is so annoying :(.

As for my reading activity: I finished Mr. Monk Is Cleaned Out and started Mr. Monk Gets On Board. I was going to select something extra special for my 1,000th read, but I really wanted to read the Monk book after finishing the previous one so just went for it.

I also wrote to the library suggesting that they order all the books in the Monk series that they haven't already got in their selection. Fingers crossed!

That's pretty exciting! Also, I hope the library gets those books :).

I'm up to page 74 of 257 of this so far.  However I'm on the verge of giving up on it. :(   So far I just want to push two of the four main characters off the roof myself - and I'm not a violent woman in any way, shape or form!

I'm reluctant to abandon it because it cost my hubby an extortionate €14.95 in Amsterdam (that's about £11.75) because he offered to buy me a book in Waterstone's whilst we were there (it had to have an orange cover.) so I'll give it a little longer, but I'm not holding out much hope...

Awww, that's not nice at all :(. I also find it extra hard if I don't like a book that was given to me or was particularly expensive or both. I hope it gets better for you soon, but.. :(.

EDIT: Oh right, my book activity. Well this morning I finished Simon Sukkel and Jim Smith - Ik Ben (G)Een Sukkel 3: Ik Ben (G)Een Sukkel Meer and then spend a few hours writing all my reviews for the books I read the past few days. I'm going to start James Dashner - The Maze Runner 1: The Maze Runner next but I don't know when it'll be as I've got a few more things to do first.

Edited by Athena

I'm about 30% through Dark Places - getting interesting now. I'm convinced

Ben is innocent

but I just know there's bound to be a twist in there. Well, I hope there is - love a good twist! :D

I can't and won't say anything, I'm just going 'muahahahahaha!' over here on my computer :D