Your Book Activity - November 2014

chesilbeach

I started to read Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell last night. I've only read the introductory chapters and the first chapter so far but I think I'll like it.

Another one on my must-read-soon list, glad to see you're getting on well with it.

I'm in the same boat. I think I have it on my Kindle and even though I am sure that I will love it I still haven't got round to reading it yet.

Something about Hemingway in general with me. I've only ever read A Moveable Feast which is part of his memoirs, and I almost know for a fact that I'll love books such as The Old Man and the Sea and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the prequel in the Maze Runner series, The Kill Order, hasn't really taken hold.  I was afraid of this, as it is all new characters than the rest of the series and I feel invested in them and now that is over.  So it was a trilogy for me and no prequel.  All in all, a good trilogy.

So, I began Dostoyevsky's The House of the Dead or Prison Life in Siberia, last night.  It is quite text book-y, so it goes along well with the drama in Grisham's  A Time to Kill.

1,010 pages into Shogun.  It's going on a bit  :giggle2:

:giggle2: I own it, just don't know when I will get to it- it certainly doesn't fit with my 400 pages or shorter list for 2015 :P

Ben and Brian - If I had to choose between The Old man and the Sea and For whom The Bell Tolls I would probably favor The Old Man and The sea. However, I really enjoyed both books.

Edited by muggle not

Ben and Brian - If I had to choose between The Old man and the Sea and For whom The Bell Tolls I would probably favor The Old Man and The sea. However, I really enjoyed both books.

I've added a few of the Vintage Classics versions to my wish-list for Christmas so fingers crossed. Have you read A Moveable Feast or any of his other memoir bits and pieces? His writing really is fantastic.

I've added a few of the Vintage Classics versions to my wish-list for Christmas so fingers crossed. Have you read A Moveable Feast or any of his other memoir bits and pieces? His writing really is fantastic.

He is my favorite writer, ever.  I would also recommend The Sun Also Rises.

I recommended to our library that they purchase the kindle version of "The Revival" by Stephen King. The library had already purchased the hardcover and audio versions. I was successful and they purchased 5 copies of the kindle version and I was given the first copy to read since I made the recommendation. Problem is I am only about 50% into The Target that I also borrowed from the library and I don't know if I will be able to finish reading both books in the allotted time.

I finished The Death Cure by James Dasher and have continued on with The Collected Works of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin which is a pleasant read. :)

That's great to hear! I really want to read this book, but I'm waiting for the paperback release. I hope you enjoy it all the way through :).

I've started to read Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 3: The Traitor Queen, which is good so far. I'm currently on page 124 out of 518, so almost at one quarter of the book.

I got totally absorbed in The Collected Works of AJ Fikry and finished it today. I have several other books on the go that I've been reading for a while, but I'm not sure which one I'll be going back to next. I really want to finish IT and The World without Us before the end of the year.

I'm whizzing through Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop.  Jenny Colgan writes in such an easy way, but brings characters to life, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it at the moment, although there is a dreadful accident near the beginning, that has already made me emotional, and then another characters has been introduced who is going through something similar to me, which is also making me well up at times.  So much for a lighthearted romcom! :D  Lovely to be back in Lipton catching up with Rosie, Stephen, Lilian and all the others that I grew fond of in the first book. :smile2:

I finished reading "The Target" by David Baldacci. I rate it a 4.5/5, very good action packed reading. Baldacci never fails to write a good book. The Target contained many stories in one story. I really enjoyed it.

A few moments ago I downloaded from the library Revival by Stephen King. Hope to start reading it tonight sometime. :)

Great series!  I believe another one, the 6th or 7th is scheduled to come out soon.

That's good news!  I'm loving the first one, and bought the second e book soon after started the first. Flavia is a wonderful character, though she is a little too enthusiastic with the idea of trying poisons on anyone who annoys her... :D .

Still reading A Time to Kill (which is really graphic) and House of the Dead by Dostoyevsky (which isn't). 

A few moments ago I downloaded from the library Revival by Stephen King. Hope to start reading it tonight sometime. :)

I do hope you like it, will be waiting to see :)

Edited by Anna Begins