Your Book Activity - November 2014

chesilbeach

I'm starting Louise Eldrich's The Round House today. I'm probably going to pick another to read along side. I'm finding I enjoy reading more than one book at a time.

Athena, I really enjoyed both books. It did take me a little aback the way she had several characters "speak" throughout the book. I think she had about 7 characters and she would bounce between all of their stories (which centered around a sacred well that might be torn down to make a road. People prayed to the patron saint who would grant their hearts desires). Once I was able to keep up with the individual stories I really enjoyed it.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read Cat's Eye many years ago, but unfortunately can't remember much about it. I know it's not one of my favourite Atwood's but I don't recall disliking it either.

I'm about 10% through Revival. It started a bit slow but things are picking up now. :smile:

Have you made it through her MaddAddam series or read Oryx and Crake?

I can't wait to get to Revival, I'm totally stalking you :giggle2: The Maze Runner series is going much faster than I thought, so it looks like I might get to it in December!  Hey- maybe by then, the price will have gone down... :rolleyes:  :lol:

I really enjoyed The Tenderness of Wolves, I hope you shall enjoy it too! :) We did a reading circle on it last year, if you want to take a look at the thread after finishing the novel, you can find it here :).

Thanks, I'll give that a look when I'm done!

Oooh- are you an Atwood fan??  Have you read any of her other novels?

This will be my first time reading one of her novels. I do have Oryx and Crake as well, which I also would like to read. Maybe I should start with that one first?

The Tenderness of Wolves is a brilliant read - very atmospheric and moving. Like Frankie says, we did a Reading Circle on it last year and had quite a few things to discuss.

I read Cat's Eye many years ago, but unfortunately can't remember much about it. I know it's not one of my favourite Atwood's but I don't recall disliking it either.

I'm about 10% through Revival. It started a bit slow but things are picking up now. :smile:

Ah, I think I'll probably read The Tenderness of Wolves first, then. Only a few more pages of Wildfell Hall to go!

This will be my first time reading one of her novels. I do have Oryx and Crake as well, which I also would like to read. Maybe I should start with that one first?

Ah, I think I'll probably read The Tenderness of Wolves first, then. Only a few more pages of Wildfell Hall to go!

Oryx and Crake is as bizarre as its name and I almost finished the trilogy (It is first in the MaddAddam trilogy, which made my head spin).  I haven't read Cat's Eye, but Atwood and I have had a little tango this year and if it is anything like her other novels, it will be strange.  :P I think most people probably start off with the easier and more popular, The Handmaid's Tale.

Edited by Anna Begins

Athena, I really enjoyed both books. It did take me a little aback the way she had several characters "speak" throughout the book. I think she had about 7 characters and she would bounce between all of their stories (which centered around a sacred well that might be torn down to make a road. People prayed to the patron saint who would grant their hearts desires). Once I was able to keep up with the individual stories I really enjoyed it.

I'm glad you liked them, thanks for telling me this :).

I'm about half way through Stephanie Perkins - Anna and the French Kiss 3: Isla and the Happily Ever After, but so far I'm not enjoying it as much as the other two books in the series. It could be my current mood but the book seems a bit cheesy and not much is happening and I'm not liking some aspects of some of the characters (I do really like one character though but he's not in it as much as I'd like).

Currently 480 pages into Shogun.  Only another 700 pages to go . . .   :thud:   :D

That's a lot of pages!

I just finished my book, it was allright but a bit of a disappointment. I'm not sure if I'm ready yet to pick a next read, but one cannot be too long without a book..

That's a lot of pages!

I just finished my book, it was allright but a bit of a disappointment. I'm not sure if I'm ready yet to pick a next read, but one cannot be too long without a book..

Shogun is a lot of "good" book.  :) I really enjoyed it.

James Clavell is an author that I really, really enjoyed. Shogun, Tai-Pan, Noble House, King Rat, etc. Geez, I miss his writing.

Edited by muggle not

Have you made it through her MaddAddam series or read Oryx and Crake?

I read Oryx and Crake when it first came out but I didn't particularly enjoy it. I can't remember why, though. :doh:  I wouldn't mind giving it another re-read at some point to see if my opinion has changed.

I'm plowing my way through Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, according to my Kindle I am not 60% of the way through it. I've got a chunk of days off of work so I'm hoping to get a load of reading done for a change.

I'm plowing my way through Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, according to my Kindle I am not 60% of the way through it. I've got a chunk of days off of work so I'm hoping to get a load of reading done for a change.

I hope you enjoy it :). I have the book on my wishlist.

I'm currently reading Linda Grant - I Murdered My Library, I don't know yet what I'll read after (it's 28 pages according to Amazon).

I'm slowly getting through The Death Cure. I haven't had much time for reading lately. However, I did make time last night to finish shelving my books from the book fair (a couple of months ago—can't rush these things!) I'm finally close to having all of my bookcases looking neat and tidy, probably for the first time in years!

I'm slowly getting through The Death Cure. I haven't had much time for reading lately. However, I did make time last night to finish shelving my books from the book fair (a couple of months ago—can't rush these things!) I'm finally close to having all of my bookcases looking neat and tidy, probably for the first time in years!

I hope you enjoy it :). Woohoo for organising your shelves! Will you post a photo once it's done? I'm very curious to find out what your shelves look like :).

I finished James Dashner's The Scorch Trials and started the third and final book in the Maze Runner series, The Death Cure.  It's going as quickly as the others have.  I've got about 18 chapters or so left (the chapters are short) and I don't want it to end!  I might end up reading the prequel, The Kill Zone, after all.  If I can't hang, at least I've got Gaia :P

I think I am off to buy some books, I am feeling like I need too ;)

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm still ploughing my way through the Harry Potter books. I'm now on Deathly Hallows. I must admit, I'm feeling a little sad that I'm coming to the end again, it's been a really enjoyable experience reading them all again from beginning to end. It's reinforced for me what a great, well-written series of books it is 

did make time last night to finish shelving my books from the book fair (a couple of months ago—can't rush these things!) I'm finally close to having all of my bookcases looking neat and tidy, probably for the first time in years!

Laughing at the 'can't rush these things' - so true. :lol:

In all seriousness, there's not many better feelings than well-organised books--be it in list form or the actual shelves. I'm glad you've got them to a level you're almost happy with. I too want pictures!

I hope you enjoy it :). Woohoo for organising your shelves! Will you post a photo once it's done? I'm very curious to find out what your shelves look like :).

Laughing at the 'can't rush these things' - so true. :lol:

In all seriousness, there's not many better feelings than well-organised books--be it in list form or the actual shelves. I'm glad you've got them to a level you're almost happy with. I too want pictures!

Yes, I'll post pics. It's been such a long time since my shelves looked nice enough to photograph!

Totally agree, Ben. The rest of my house is a pigsty, but I feel much better just having my books in order. :)

I just bough John Grisham's A Time to Kill, Ken Follett's Fall of Giants and Stephen King's Under the Dome for $2.99 each!  :jump:

I finished Brilliance by Marcus Sakey. I really enjoyed it. I'm getting ready to start Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. She's a young adult author, but I really liked her other book, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, so I thought I'd give this a go.

:006:

I finished Brilliance by Marcus Sakey. I really enjoyed it. I'm getting ready to start Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. She's a young adult author, but I really liked her other book, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, so I thought I'd give this a go.

Is The Storied Life of AJ Fikry a young adult book as well?

I finished James Dashner's The Scorch Trials and started the third and final book in the Maze Runner series, The Death Cure.  It's going as quickly as the others have.  I've got about 18 chapters or so left (the chapters are short) and I don't want it to end!  I might end up reading the prequel, The Kill Zone, after all.  If I can't hang, at least I've got Gaia :P

I'm so glad you're liking it and that you're making great progress! You could always try to start reading the prequel (since it came with your omnibus edition) and see how it goes? Up to you, I don't mind either way, of course :).

I'm still ploughing my way through the Harry Potter books. I'm now on Deathly Hallows. I must admit, I'm feeling a little sad that I'm coming to the end again, it's been a really enjoyable experience reading them all again from beginning to end. It's reinforced for me what a great, well-written series of books it is

I'm really glad you're enjoying these. I re-read them earlier this year I believe, and a few near the end of last year, and I really enjoyed re-reading them too. Do you have a particular favourite book or character?

Just finished missing person by Patrick Mondiano, the Nobel Prize winner for this year.  Well worth the read.  Review over on my thread. :)

I will go and read it!

Yes, I'll post pics. It's been such a long time since my shelves looked nice enough to photograph!

I look forward to see them :D!

I just bough John Grisham's A Time to Kill, Ken Follett's Fall of Giants and Stephen King's Under the Dome for $2.99 each!  :jump:

:006:

I hope you enjoy your new books :D!

Is The Storied Life of AJ Fikry a young adult book as well?

As far as I know that one is an adult book, but I haven't actually read it so I wouldn't know for sure (I'm waiting for the paperback release).

I'm on page 110 out of ~500 of Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 1: The Ambassador's Mission. I'm really enjoying to read about these familiar characters and look forward to see where the story will go. So far, I'm really enjoying this book :).