Your Book Activity - November 2014

chesilbeach

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oooooohhh, intriguing!!! I probably won't see them (so there's more than one? :D ) coming as I'm rubbish at figuring these things out. :giggle2:

Well... What can I say, there might be some, or maybe just one, but maybe more than one... :D I hope you're just flying through the pages! :) 

(And I'm rubbish with foreseeing twists, too. I was dumbfounded with this one!)

I've got about 40 pages left of M. R. C. Kasasian's The Mangle Street Murders.  I got it in the Kindle sale last Christmas and I've enjoyed it muchly so far, enough so that I've bought the sequel (helped by the fact it's going for 59p on Kindle at the moment  :D ).

Well... What can I say, there might be some, or maybe just one, but maybe more than one... :D I hope you're just flying through the pages! :)

(And I'm rubbish with foreseeing twists, too. I was dumbfounded with this one!)

I wil hopefully finish it tonight. I'm at about 85% through, and was reading as much as I could before work. :readingtwo:

I started and finished We Were Liars by E. Lockhart last night. I know I'm a bit late to the party with this one, but had heard interesting things (seemed like a polarising novel from the few spoiler-free reviews I'd checked out - and I can see why it is), so was intrigued enough to give it a go.

Enjoyed it for the most part, and found the twist wonderful, but at times couldn't quite get past the often jarring narrative style, and I also really didn't like any of the characters enough to invest in them. It was strong for what it was - a refreshingly unique YA novel - and definitely worth a read, but I won't be shouting about it from the rooftops like some others.

Picked up Gregg Hurwitz's I See You next but it's taking a bit of getting into so might try something else alongside it. :shrug:

I wil hopefully finish it tonight. I'm at about 85% through, and was reading as much as I could before work. :readingtwo:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you do! :exc: I really want to hear what you thought of it :D *rubbing my hands together all gleefully*

I didn't get a lot of reading done yesterday, so I'm still only halfway through the Monk book I'm reading, and I'm supposed to take back the Lena Dunham book to the library today. Crap!! I wonder how much they will charge a person for taking a book back a day late  :hide:  Edi: 20cnt. Not bad! I'm going to do something very unlike me and keep the book till I've read it :blush: 

Edited by frankie

I started and finished We Were Liars by E. Lockhart last night. I know I'm a bit late to the party with this one, but had heard interesting things (seemed like a polarising novel from the few spoiler-free reviews I'd checked out - and I can see why it is), so was intrigued enough to give it a go.

Enjoyed it for the most part, and found the twist wonderful, but at times couldn't quite get past the often jarring narrative style, and I also really didn't like any of the characters enough to invest in them. It was strong for what it was - a refreshingly unique YA novel - and definitely worth a read, but I won't be shouting about it from the rooftops like some others.

I'm glad you liked it :)

I didn't get a lot of reading done yesterday, so I'm still only halfway through the Monk book I'm reading, and I'm supposed to take back the Lena Dunham book to the library today. Crap!! I wonder how much they will charge a person for taking a book back a day late  :hide:  Edi: 20cnt. Not bad! I'm going to do something very unlike me and keep the book till I've read it :blush:

Is there no option to extend the loan? In the Netherlands, at least back when I was a teenager, it was possible to ask them to extend it, if you asked them before the book was due and it was not booked by anyone else, they usually let you borrow it another 3 weeks. I hope you enjoy the book :).

I'm currently in chapter 37, page 237, of The Maze Runner 1: The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I'm enjoying it a lot and look forward to find out more about what's going on.

Is there no option to extend the loan? In the Netherlands, at least back when I was a teenager, it was possible to ask them to extend it, if you asked them before the book was due and it was not booked by anyone else, they usually let you borrow it another 3 weeks. I hope you enjoy the book :)

Of course there's usually the option to extend a loan, up to five times (one extension going for a month). But this is a new book and has a two weeks' loan time and cannot be extended. 

I finished Gold by Dan Rhodes yesterday, and I thought it was great.  In fact, as I think back on it and contemplate the story more, the more it makes me smile.  Dan Rhodes is definitely going on my list of authors to read more of, but I'll have to be careful, as I think there are some that won't suit me! :D

I'm going to be a bit pushed for reading time this weekend, so today I read my Nicholas Nickleby instalment for this week and I've also started The Quietness by Alison Rattle today.

I finished Gold by Dan Rhodes yesterday, and I thought it was great.  In fact, as I think back on it and contemplate the story more, the more it makes me smile.  Dan Rhodes is definitely going on my list of authors to read more of, but I'll have to be careful, as I think there are some that won't suit me! :D

Victory!!!!  :yahoo:   I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much!! Especially after all the hype the weekend before. If it hadn't lived up to your expectations, I would've felt a tad guilty (although having poppyshake and Kylie and tunn300 to share the guilt was a rather comfortable notion :giggle:). :D 

Victory!!!!  :yahoo:   I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much!! Especially after all the hype the weekend before. If it hadn't lived up to your expectations, I would've felt a tad guilty (although having poppyshake and Kylie and tunn300 to share the guilt was a rather comfortable notion :giggle:). :D

I know … it's always worrying when you only hear good things about a book, especially for me, as I'm notorious in my book group for being the one who hates a book that everyone else loves! :D Thankfully, this was the exception. :smile2:

I know … it's always worrying when you only hear good things about a book, especially for me, as I'm notorious in my book group for being the one who hates a book that everyone else loves! :D Thankfully, this was the exception. :smile2:

Oh wow, you're a tough crowd (all by yourself) :D I'm happy this wasn't one of those occasions!

Finished Dark Places. Omigoshgoodnessgraciousme! :thud: I didn't see the twist/s at the end coming, at all. :thud:

Really enjoyed it, so much that I'm going to start on her other book - Sharp Objects - tonight.

Ahahaa!  :yahoo:  Really pleased to hear you enjoyed it and was totally oblivious as to what and who dun it :smile2: 

And I'm happy that you have SO on your TBR, how lucky for you to be able to start it now! I've got a copy reserved from the library, I don't know when I'll get to it. Oh well, there are other books! :) 

I finished my latest Monk book last night and started reading Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham. I'm on page 60 at the moment, and it's such a quick and easy read that I'm bound to finish it by the end of the day. 

I started and finished Jonathan Stroud's The Ring of Solomon last night - the prequel to his famous Bartimaeus trilogy (well, sequence I guess) - and very much enjoyed it, as I did the others. Stroud can really sustain a plot that grabs you, and he brings the book to life brilliantly through the Bartimaeus' trademark humour and wit. Very strong bit of fantasy fiction - would recommend.

Edited by Ben

I just finished reading "Get Shorty" by Elmore Leonard. Get Shorty was made into a movie and although I didn't see the movie (starring Danny DeVito) I could picture Danny DeVito as the one character in the book the whole time I was reading it. The part fit him perfectly.

I read several more chapters of The Scorch Trials today.

My partner and I recently saw the musical Cats, which is based on TS Eliot's book of poems called Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. So today, while my partner was in the city for an interview, he bought me the book as a surprise. Naw. :)

Does that mean you don't like Dunham's book?

I think the writing was great, she's obviously talented. But honestly I got bored reading about her sex life. I know it's a memoir sort of thing and therefore it's about her, but I feel like there must be more to her than just the guys she's dated and/or slept with (and maybe that stuff comes along later in the book, but I didn't want to read on). I know she's said she's been given the advice to write about what she knows, and therefore she writes about herself, but I'm beginning to wish she'd just get out of her own head for once and look around. And I just couldn't take it how everything had to do with sex. I mean when she told the story about how she'd said to a woman that

when she's bad, her Dad shoves a fork in her vagina... It was too much for me. Yes, little kids say the darnedest things, but I thought it was just poor judgement to write it in the book. 

My partner and I recently saw the musical Cats, which is based on TS Eliot's book of poems called Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. So today, while my partner was in the city for an interview, he bought me the book as a surprise. Naw. :)

Awww, how lovely.  :)

I visited T S Eliot's grave a few years ago.  His ashes were interred under this tablet in East Coker church in Somerset.  :)

IMG_0227.jpg

I quite fancy having the wording around the edge on my order of service when I die!   It's that, or a quote from Winnie the Pooh!  :giggle: