Halloween Read-a-thon?

frankie

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm happy to suggest some titles! None of these need be picked as one goal read, but I'll leave them here for people.

I might take it as an opportunity to reread something, like Salem's Lot, Through A Glass Darkly or Penpal (which I only read this year but LOVED).

I might also try another book by Kathe Koja, whose The Cipher I read and loved earlier this year (but it was extremely adult, dark and weird).

Birdbox by Josh Malerman was a fun read, weak ending but the rest of the story was awesome.

Sleepless by Lou Morgon is a kids/YA read which I found surprisingly dark and extremely enjoyable.

The Monstrumologist is a YA read, Victorian-set, dense-prose (for YA) read which I loved earlier this year.

Even though I didn't finish it, Long Lankin was really great too, I just wasn't in the right mood at the time. 

The Silence by Tim Lebbon is one a few of us read recently, mixed reviews but I think we all agreed it was by and large very enjoyable and worth reading.

Well, I'm sure the usual Halloween / Autumn / Horror forum will be made in October. Last year we did a group read of Horns by Joe Hill, we could do another group read this year if anyone is up for that? But I think the forum won't be there until October, that's what I'm remembering from last year, at least. It seems every year we start discussing these things before the subforum is there, same with the Christmas one :giggle2:.

I'm usually busy most Saturdays, but I'm sure I could get some spare time at some stage of the weekend to join in. I think the actual Halloween weekend would make sense though...  :bat2:  :vamp:

Well, I'm sure the usual Halloween / Autumn / Horror forum will be made in October. Last year we did a group read of Horns by Joe Hill, we could do another group read this year if anyone is up for that?

A month-long group read (maybe with a choice of two or three books?) would be a great idea I think, because that way it's not narrowed down to one weekend, and it's an alternative for people who can't take part in the read-a-thon.

A month-long group read (maybe with a choice of two or three books?) would be a great idea I think, because that way it's not narrowed down to one weekend, and it's an alternative for people who can't take part in the read-a-thon.

That sounds good :).

And we can post progress here- if that's ok... I'd like to know what everyone is reading, like during a regular read a thon or group read.  I think that's great... I want to read King's Revival and MR Carey's The Girl With All the Gifts, so.  Works for me :)

I might join you with Revival Anna, it's been on the list for a while...

That would be fun, I'd like discussing it with you after :)  I've had it on my list for awhile too, I though October would be appropriate!

I was under the impression everyone would choose their own books to read, as long as they're related to Halloween.

Of course you can choose your own books :) Some people just like to throw in some ideas, and read the decided books together, as a group read. The main thing is to read what one wants and have fun with it :)

Edit: Also, you don't really have to read Halloweeny books if you don't want to :shrug: The thread was initially about having a read-a-thon amongst the members on here, during the actual Halloween weekend. Everyone could read whatever they fancied. 

Edited by frankie

Of course you can choose your own books :) Some people just like to throw in some ideas, and read the decided books together, as a group read. The main thing is to read what one wants and have fun with it :)

Thanks for the answer, it's a good idea doing it like this.

I'm likely to read Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe, Dracula by Bram Stoker and/or Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, depending on time. I'm also thinking of manga related to witchcraft, monsters or anything else related.

Edited by woolf woolf

I'm likely to read Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe, Dracula by Bram Stoker and/or Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, depending on time. I'm also thinking of manga related to witchcraft, monsters or anything else related.

I loved Dracula! I hope you will enjoy it if you decide to read it during the Halloween read-a-thon :smile2: 

I've decided to try and read The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich for the Hallowe'en read-a-thon as I know Michelle rated it really highly! I've been shying away from it as I'm a scaredy cat, but it seems a perfect opportunity to bite the bullet … at least I've got a good few weeks to pluck up the courage to read it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm up for a Halloween weekend read-a-thon!  Granted I finish my current book before then... :blush2: 

Not sure what to read yet, but I'm going to try and hunt down a book I read ages and ages ago that really seemed to creep me out.  I have the name written down somewhere, but all I can remember about it now is that it had a hotel/house in it named 'Winter Rest.'  With my luck it's out of circulation but you never know!

I'm doing my own Halloween read-a-thon - currently on "Prince Lestat" by Anne Rice, and I'm sorry to say I'm about 150 pages in and I'm bored.  It seems to be getting like the 5th Game of Thrones book ie too many characters rambling on for ages with not much actual story.  Great to see Lestat back on form though, right now that's the only thing that's keeping me going.

Then I hope to read the 3rd book in the Mortal Instruments series, City of Glass.

Edited by Madeleine

I'm doing my own Halloween read-a-thon

I sort of am as well.  Trying to read all scary or creepy books this month, so far, I've done 3 books in 10 days- good for me! :readingtwo:

Currently reading The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black (439 pages, should be at 50% by tonight)

Have read and finished

Revival by Stephen King (374 pages, 4 days)

Seed by Lisa Heathfield (352 pages, 2 days)

The Girl With All the Gifts by MR Carey (421 pages, 4 days)

I am saving Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes til closer to Halloween :witch:

Once I finish Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth 2: World Without End I plan to read some scary / Halloweeny books. I made a little pile of mostly shorter easier reads, some of them re-reads, to read later in the month. Hopefully I can finish WWE before the end of the month.