Halloween Read-a-thon?

frankie

I just checked my small appointments diary for Halloween and it is Saturday 31st Oct. The diary gives a significant historical event for each day and the one for 31st Oct reads: The Edinburgh Bodysnatchers Burke and Hare claimed their last victim in 1828. Very appropriate!

I've got 'The Secret of Crickley Hall' by James Herbert on the Kindle so I'll try to read that. Would it be alright to start on the Friday night? I always think that's when the weekend starts!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought it would be the weekend of the 31rst of October and 1st of November (Sat-Sun). I will probably read a horrory book after I finish the long and epic World Without End that I'm reading now.

That settles it then. Should make a note in my calendar! 

I just checked my small appointments diary for Halloween and it is Saturday 31st Oct. The diary gives a significant historical event for each day and the one for 31st Oct reads: The Edinburgh Bodysnatchers Burke and Hare claimed their last victim in 1828. Very appropriate!

Very appropriate indeed! :D I've read about them in The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers... Very curious couple they were! 

Last night I read Dracula for hours and only started sleeping slightly before 3h30. I was finishing Jonathan's journal, which was okay, and once I started Mina's journal I became gripped. In the beginning I thought the author was giving away too much information, but the current suspense works on it really well.

I've been reading all horror and spooky stuff for the month of October in honor of Halloween. So far, I've read NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (horror), In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters (YA historical paranormal), and am currently reading The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan. 

I have Horns by Joe Hill on e-hold through my local library for my Kindle.  I hope it becomes available in the next few days.   :witch:

I'm just about to start.  I've downloaded The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich to read.  :hide:  Michelle's told me how good it is, but it might be a bit scary for me … but if I'm going to read it, now seems the perfect time! :D

And I never use these, but again, the time seems right ...

:bat2:  :catpump:  :bat:  :vamp:  :witch: 

Happy Hallowe'en Read-A-Thon!

halloweennight.jpg
Yep! I'm getting into the spirit!  :vamp:  :witch:  :bat:  :catpump:  :ghost:  :bat2:

Managed to read The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill today and some short stories by Edgar Allan Poe .. very short stories .. one of them was five pages long  :D It's amazing how unsettled he can make you in five pages! 

I've read the other books in the pic .. they are only there for decoration (and tbh .. to block out the mess that was behind the tray :D) so I'm pondering on what to read tomorrow :confused: I will look at my TBR list because that'll be a lot easier than going into each room and staring at the bookcase hoping for inspiration. Will also pick some more out from good old Edgar. So far I've avoided The Pit and the Pendulum .. just have a feeling it might tip me over the edge  :hide:

Happy Reading everyone :hug:

How was The Man in the Picture Kay?  I've only read The Woman in Black by Susan Hill - is it as good as that?  Brilliant picture by the way … you have such a good eye for these things. :)

I read just over half of The Dead House yesterday, but my Kindle edition doesn't tell me how many pages that is exactly, but I think I've read about 220 pages.  It's really good, but it's making my heart thump at times as the tension builds! :hide:  Glad I decided to take the plunge, thanks to Michelle's recommendation. :D

Happy reading everyone! :smile2: I see a lot of you are going with scary horrory books in accordance of the weekend theme, cool! :smile2: I don't know if I'll do that, I would only have my own books to choose from as my library reads are 'normal' novels. Let's see where this weekend will take one...

halloweennight.jpg

I love the picture! :wub: Like Claire said, you have such a good eye, or should I say, eye ball, for these things! :smile2: 

Friday's reading: 90 pages of The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters. 

Happy Halloween, Everyone! :vamp:

Horns by Joe Hill finally became available on e loan through the library, and I'll read some today.  I'm pretty excited about it.  Probably not as much reading as I'd like since we're going to a Halloween themed birthday party today.  In my town we already had Trick-or-Treating on Thursday though. 

I SO love that picture!

Picked up some candy for the trick or treaters, we never have many and we will be out mostly, but then we can eat our own after we get back (our favorites :giggle2: ) so can't really take part this weekend :(

Happy Halloween! :cat:

Edited by Anna Begins

I finished The Dead House yesterday.  Really out of my comfort zone, but I was absolutely gripped by it, and it kept me thinking all the way through about what was actually happening.

Going to try and read Omens by Kelley Armstrong today.  It's the first in the Cainsville series, but it's another one with over 400 pages so doubt if I'll finish it.  Also need to try and read my chapters for A Tale of Two Cities for this week.

I finished The Dead House yesterday.  Really out of my comfort zone, but I was absolutely gripped by it, and it kept me thinking all the way through about what was actually happening.

So cool that you were so captivated by it, even though it was completely out of your comfort zone! :smile2: 

I read 184 pages of Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant yesterday, and should be able to finish the novel today :smile2: 

How are you liking it? 

I like it, certain things were done really well whilst others weren't. It is different from how pop culture made me expect, for the better, but to my enjoyment much of the book was the mystery surrounding the count and that has now changed. I like Dr. Seward most, someone I didn't know until reading the book; I don't like how Mina evolved during the book, in the beginning she was awesome.

Edited by woolf woolf

How was The Man in the Picture Kay?  I've only read The Woman in Black by Susan Hill - is it as good as that?  Brilliant picture by the way … you have such a good eye for these things. :)

Thanks Claire :)The Man in the Picture was good but not stand out and I wouldn't say it was as good as The Woman in Black .. nothing else I've read by her has been so far  :blush2: 

I read just over half of The Dead House yesterday, but my Kindle edition doesn't tell me how many pages that is exactly, but I think I've read about 220 pages.  It's really good, but it's making my heart thump at times as the tension builds! :hide:  Glad I decided to take the plunge, thanks to Michelle's recommendation. :D

Thumping heart!! .. perfect for Halloween :D I didn't dare go for a thumping heart story .. too much of a coward  :blush2: 

Happy reading everyone! :smile2: I see a lot of you are going with scary horrory books in accordance of the weekend theme, cool! :smile2: I don't know if I'll do that, I would only have my own books to choose from as my library reads are 'normal' novels. Let's see where this weekend will take one...

I love the picture! :wub: Like Claire said, you have such a good eye, or should I say, eye ball, for these things! :smile2:

Friday's reading: 90 pages of The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters.

Thanks lovely .. I do love a chocolate eyeball :D Hope you're enjoying the read-a-thon. It makes sense to read the books that you have waiting in the wings .. scary or not! It's frightening enough having them all sitting there waiting to be read :D 

Yesterday I read The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French which is a YA novel. Very good .. reminded me a bit of Angie Sage's Septimus Heap books (well .. I only read three of them but it reminded me of those) .. perhaps not quite as inventive but a great story of good and evil .. funny too. Also finished off Jeeves and the Wedding Bells by Sebastian Faulks which was not Halloweeny at all but which required finishing off for October :D

Today I've read about 90 pages of Appointment with Death by Agatha Christie. Poirot has only just turned up! :o  :D 

Haven't read any more Edgar Allan Poe .. might dip in this afternoon. 

Edited by poppyshake

I like it, certain things were done really well whilst others weren't. It is different from how pop culture made me expect, for the better, but to my enjoyment much of the book was the mystery surrounding the count and that has now changed. I like Dr. Seward most, someone I didn't know until reading the book; I don't like how Mina evolved during the book, in the beginning she was awesome.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! :smile2: I didn't expect to like the book myself back when I read it, but I was very much surprised and loved it :) 

Thanks lovely .. I do love a chocolate eyeball :D Hope you're enjoying the read-a-thon. It makes sense to read the books that you have waiting in the wings .. scary or not! It's frightening enough having them all sitting there waiting to be read :D

I don't do Halloween except for the read-a-thon on here (and a very occasional trick-or-treating with Kylie :lol: ), but when I was having my housewarming party, a friend brought chocolate eyeballs she'd bought. They were delicious! I couldn't keep away from them :D

Haha, well said :D The bookcases with the borrowed books is a regular Halloween fest, year in year out :D

I hope you all enjoyed the read-a-thon! :smile2:

I wanted to do a lot of reading yesterday, but when I started, my vision went all funky and I couldn't see the last letters of the words at the end of the lines. It was like the additional symptoms of a migraine without the actual headache. Oh bother! Well I'm lucky I didn't have the headache!! I stopped reading and fell asleep for a while and then it was gone. I was able to read the rest of the Monk novel in bed before going to sleep for the night. 

My read-a-thon was not very Halloweeny but page count -wise it was pretty successful for me: 

Friday: 90 pages of The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

Saturday: 184 pages of Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant by Hy Conrad 

Sunday: 89 pages of Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant by Hy Conrad + 22 pages of The Sense of an Elephant by Marco Missiroli 

Total: 385 pages. 

Haven't read any more Edgar Allan Poe .. might dip in this afternoon.

Oh crap, that wouldn't been a great choice! Short stories, perfect! I always forget about owning a copy of the book :( 

Edited by frankie

halloweennight.jpg

Yep! I'm getting into the spirit!  :vamp:  :witch:  :bat:  :catpump:  :ghost:  :bat2:

Great picture!

How nice to see some of you have been doing some nice reading :)!

I read a couple of horror books recently, but not as many as I thought I would read a while ago. I got a bit bored with reading just one genre :blush2:.