Halloween Read-a-thon?

frankie

They really come into their own in winter don't they? .. candles! When I light them I come over all Emily Bronte and fancy that I could maybe scribble down the opening chapter of a novel.  in reality though they just gives me the squints and then a headache

They really do! Oh and imagine writing with a quilt, too! I only wish I wasn't such a nervous nelly about forgetting to put out the candles, I'd have a lot more of them burning and illuminating the wintry evenings. I blame my Mom. She's such a worry wart and turned me into one, too :D

Ooh .. the Lidl Inferno .. I am going to check that out for sure!

I love it that we have at least this shop in common and can thus try out different things that the other person has tried out! :smile2: But do buy milk and maybe even ice cream or yoghurt when you try the Inferno. You have been warned!!

He'd better not!! I'll steal his 'Kate Bush Rescue Tin' and sell it on eBay for 99p  

Oooh, harsh!!! :lol:

Hope today was better for you but really .. no stress ..  it's annoying but just can't be helped 

It really wasn't :D I came home at 3-4 PM or so, and then the neighbor came back with his kids, to check on the washer, and the kids made a helluva noise. They stayed for a few hours, too. Bloody hell...

She loves her Moomins ..  her Mum dresses them up for the window apparently 

Awww, that's nice! This reminds me, I've borrowed the first Moomin book now, are you up for it at some point? Off-topicing again...

True .. it's best to keep checking 

Well it is :D Who knows when one will go through the change... :giggle2:

Saturday reading: 

Managed to plod on some more with The Life of Charlotte Bronte (46 pages) .. then read two short stories from Daphne du Maurier .. Kiss Me Again Stranger and The Apple Tree (71 pages in total) .. also read 123 pages of The Wimbledon Poisoner

Sunday reading:

24 more pages of The Life of Charlotte Bronte and finished The Wimbledon Poisoner (111 pages)

Totally enjoyed this weekend's reading .. thanks for suggesting it frankie  

Well done with your reading, and I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed the read-a-thon! It was a fun weekend and I enjoyed the convos and the reading when I had time for it!   :hug:

What am I...chopped liver? I enjoyed Gold too, ya know!

I've missed this whole thread until now.  But I was both sick and busy on the weekend, so I wouldn't have been able to join in anyway. Glad you all had a good time.

I'm sorry, I forgot you loved Gold, too! :blush: And besides, chopped liver is good!! Very tasty, with potatoes and sauce. MMmmmh. 

Kylie, the idea of this Halloween read-a-thon only came to me after I'd asked you to do a mini group reading of the Lena Dunham book with me on the weekend and you said you didn't have the time. If you had said yes, I may not have started this general, public for all thread! 

Oh, and re: my Sunday read-a-thon reading: I think I managed about 100 pages or the book I was reading. So, not a lot of reading, but what a fun experience anyhow! 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, and re: my Sunday read-a-thon reading: I think I managed about 100 pages or the book I was reading. So, not a lot of reading, but what a fun experience anyhow!

It was a lot of fun, and I think I enjoyed it more because it was a spur of the moment thing. Thanks for suggesting it, I read a great book and chat about it here! :smile2:

It was a lot of fun, and I think I enjoyed it more because it was a spur of the moment thing. Thanks for suggesting it, I read a great book and chat about it here! :smile2:

I'm really happy to hear you had fun!  :smile2: I agree, I think the spontaneity of it added to the fun. Yes, the spontaneity also meant that we had a rather small group of joiners and not everyone caught on in time, but sometimes those things can't be helped. 

Thank you all for the company, it was a real treat! (No pun intended!) :smile2:  :readingtwo:  :friends3:

And besides, chopped liver is good!! Very tasty, with potatoes and sauce. MMmmmh.

:huh: I'll take your word for it.

Kylie, the idea of this Halloween read-a-thon only came to me after I'd asked you to do a mini group reading of the Lena Dunham book with me on the weekend and you said you didn't have the time. If you had said yes, I may not have started this general, public for all thread!

In that case...yay me! :D

:huh: I'll take your word for it.

Have you not tasted it? I promise, it's very good. I think it's an acquired taste and I didn't like it as a kid, but I do like it now :yes: I seriously need to tell my Mom to make some the next time I'm visiting, it's been ages!

In that case...yay me! :D

Indeed! You made it all happen :D

Have you not tasted it? I promise, it's very good. I think it's an acquired taste and I didn't like it as a kid, but I do like it now :yes: I seriously need to tell my Mom to make some the next time I'm visiting, it's been ages!

Indeed! You made it all happen :D

No, never tried to. I would be too scared/grossed out to ever try it, I think!

• 10 months later...

We could do another one of these this year? Discussion was started here in Peacefield's reading log.

It's probably too early to plan it for most people (I always like to plan things, as most of you know), but I'd be up for reading some books later in October somewhere. We don't have to plan any dates yet if people don't want to do that, but Noll asked if we would be reading scary books. Is anyone interested in doing a read-a-thon in October, with scary books or free choice? (aside from the people who've already posted in Peacefield's thread).

I'd prefer to stick to the actual weekend so will be a little late to the party but looking forward to some spooky reads  :witch:  :vamp:  :bat:  :catpump:  :ghost: I've got some Edgar Allan Poe short stories to read and another Susan Hill  :smile: They'll be on the agenda anyway.

Well it would make more sense to have it during the Halloween weekend. I'm probably not going to be around much at that point, as my friends are staying for a couple of weeks. However, I will try and join in, I'll definitely be reading some scary novels in October

:lol: Maybe a group read is in order then!  We can take all month to decide and chat!

For the read a thon, I vote for the 16-18th... I've got a kid, so Halloween weekend doesn't work for me!  :wub: (it's a Day of the Dead skull this year).

Looks like every weekend in October will be a read-a-thon at this rate - so everyone can join in when they have the time. Even if I'm on my own, I'll be doing mine on Hallowe'en weekend, and I wouldn't want to do a group read as I know my tastes for Hallowe'en reads will be different to everyone else's here, but that's just me :)