Halloween Read-a-thon?

frankie

ACE picture, Kay. :P

Sadly I'm too busy working this evening to get properly involved with the read-a-thon, but I do have a lot of Stephen King novels on my Kindle that have been waiting since, oh I don't know... forever. Might make a start on one of them later if I have time (or even something else--haven't really decided yet).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read just over 100 pages of Hell's Belles yesterday, and I'm looking forward to carrying on today!

Kay, you picture looks brilliant!!! :D  I don't think I have anything remotely Hallowe'en-y I could rustle up in the house to have a themed reading session :(  (but, just wait 'til Christmas …)

Hope everyone taking part is enjoying their spooky books! :smile2:

Sold! I'll definitely give it a go. 

Great! And I'm happy that Kay's able to provide you with a copy :D I'm jealous of you two little book-Santa's elves, being able to deal each other books :D

Since it's a bit off topic, and it's a bit early for the Christmas threads, I'll continue this over in my bits and bobs thread. 

Alrighty, I'll pop in there after this. Off-topicing is a dangerous, yet inviting game... :blush:

Ok, well I'll wait to see how you're getting on later! 

I was supposed to just eat the pizza and then start reading, but the pizza was really, really spicy and hot, and I had to drink a liter of milk to get through it! And then I was out of milk, with coffee brewing, so I had to go and buy more milk so I could have coffee, and to have milk on Saturday, too :rolleyes: And it took me ages to finish that pizza. I didn't get to reading til much later in the evening!

I tried reading the Susan Hill book and then the John Boyne book but I couldn't get into them at all. And then I thought, it's no use. If I'm not feeling like reading them, I shouldn't force myself to read anything spooky. So I started reading A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman, a book that's been on my wishlist for a while and which I found at the library yesterday. I'm loving it! :smile2:

Kay, I'm loving the picture! :D And you said you didn't have anything decorative... That's the most decorative thing we've seen in the thread so far! Beautiful :)

Seems like we've all managed to start a book and are reading at the moment, good stuff! :smile2:

I was going to dedicate the whole weekend for reading but a friend called me last night and she'll be popping in to day after 4 PM. I was tempted to say no to her plans but then I thought I'm getting silly in the head, and should be happy that someone's willing to travel to Espoo to meet me :) I'm hoping to get a lot of reading done before she comes, though!

ACE picture, Kay. :P

Sadly I'm too busy working this evening to get properly involved with the read-a-thon, but I do have a lot of Stephen King novels on my Kindle that have been waiting since, oh I don't know... forever. Might make a start on one of them later if I have time (or even something else--haven't really decided yet).

Thanks Ben :) Nice to see you here .. hope you get time to do a little bit of Halloween reading over the weekend.

I read just over 100 pages of Hell's Belles yesterday, and I'm looking forward to carrying on today!

Kay, you picture looks brilliant!!! :D  I don't think I have anything remotely Hallowe'en-y I could rustle up in the house to have a themed reading session :(  (but, just wait 'til Christmas …)

Hope everyone taking part is enjoying their spooky books! :smile2:

Thanks Claire :) Ruby lives in the attic .. she's very sweet usually but lends herself to a Halloweeny makeover quite well :D I bought the rest in the pound shop .. but the spiders are already freaking me out. They keep falling on the floor and giving me a fright .. I bet I go to pick one up tomorrow and find it isn't a plastic spider :hide: Actually the pumpkin biscuit came from Waitrose .. and Alan ate it shortly after this pic was taken :D 

We will definitely do a Christmassy theme read-a-thon  :coolsnow: 

I had a great reading time last night ... put a candle in a lantern and cosied up with some chocolate and a hot drink .. brill it was. I've had a busy morning but hope to carry on reading later.  

Great! And I'm happy that Kay's able to provide you with a copy. I'm jealous of you two little book-Santa's elves, being able to deal each other books 

Awww .. it is most unfair .. we need to recruit more Finnish membies .. it's the greatest of fun to swap books and have book chats. Or .. you could just come and live here  :D  :yes:

I was supposed to just eat the pizza and then start reading, but the pizza was really, really spicy and hot, and I had to drink a liter of milk to get through it! And then I was out of milk, with coffee brewing, so I had to go and buy more milk so I could have coffee, and to have milk on Saturday, too. And it took me ages to finish that pizza. I didn't get to reading til much later in the evening!

Who knew that pizza could be so disruptive?  :D Pizza and Halloween though .. good combination!

I tried reading the Susan Hill book and then the John Boyne book but I couldn't get into them at all. And then I thought, it's no use. If I'm not feeling like reading them, I shouldn't force myself to read anything spooky. So I started reading A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman, a book that's been on my wishlist for a while and which I found at the library yesterday. I'm loving it!

No .. never force it .. go with the flow  :smile: Very happy to hear that you've found a book to get stuck into.

Kay, I'm loving the picture! :D And you said you didn't have anything decorative... That's the most decorative thing we've seen in the thread so far! Beautiful :)

I didn't really .. only Ruby .. but I knew she could look creepy in a Tim Burton way. Had to do some shopping with Alan and as usual bought him some themed sweets and biscuits (hard luck local children  :D ) and saw the spiders and cobwebby stuff in the pound shop .. couldn't resist it but I made Alan swear on his life and his Kate Bush confetti that he won't use the spiders EVER as part of a prank  :D 

Seems like we've all managed to start a book and are reading at the moment, good stuff!

I was going to dedicate the whole weekend for reading but a friend called me last night and she'll be popping in to day after 4 PM. I was tempted to say no to her plans but then I thought I'm getting silly in the head, and should be happy that someone's willing to travel to Espoo to meet me. I'm hoping to get a lot of reading done before she comes, though!

Mustn't put life off in order to read .. life and friends and loved ones come first. Books will wait .. that's the nice thing about them. They won't get huffy  :smile: Not even Carter Beats the Devil :D

Yesterday afternoon/evening:

Read The Birds and another short story by Daphne du Maurier called The Old Man (the two stories together only amount to about 48 pages), also read The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury (149 pages) and 94 pages of The Wimbledon Poisoner  :smile: 

This morning I've read 46 pages of The Life of Charlotte Bronte (not Halloweeny obviously .. but I'm trying to progress with it) and 20 more pages of The Wimbledon Poisoner .. hope to carry on later and possibly read some more of Daphne's short stories  :smile:  

Edited by poppyshake

Read The Birds and another short story by Daphne du Maurier called The Old Man (the two stories together only amount to about 48 pages), also read The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury (149 pages) and 94 pages of The Wimbledon Poisoner  :smile:

Great pictures again, Kay!

It's good to 'see' you too. :smile2: Unfortunately, not much chance to read as yet as I was too busy working last night, but the girlfriend is coming over today and we've got The Walking Dead on series record. That counts as a Halloween-related thing to do, even if it's not reading right? :P

What did you think of The Halloween Tree? I downloaded it per Steve's recommendation (like many others) and I'm hoping to get around to it while it's still during the read-a-thon. Dug out a Dean Koontz book called The Good Guy too which looks suitably creepy, so there's always that. *shrugs*

Edited by Ben

I had a great reading time last night ... put a candle in a lantern and cosied up with some chocolate and a hot drink .. brill it was. I've had a busy morning but hope to carry on reading later.  

Sounds lovely! :smile2: I need to remember to light up some candles myself, to make at least some sort of an effort with the atmosphere. 

Awww .. it is most unfair .. we need to recruit more Finnish membies .. it's the greatest of fun to swap books and have book chats. Or .. you could just come and live here 

But the new Finnish membies will never be the same as you guys! =( I guess I'll have to move there! =D

Who knew that pizza could be so disruptive? Pizza and Halloween though .. good combination!

To be fair, I bought it because it was spicy, it had peppers and stuff on it. But usually when you buy something that's supposed to be spicy, it never is. But this one really was! =D When I mentioned it to my friend, she asked me if I'd bought it from Lidl and if it was called Inferno (yes it was) and she started laughing and said she knows the pizza, it's infamous :D

I didn't really .. only Ruby .. but I knew she could look creepy in a Tim Burton way. Had to do some shopping with Alan and as usual bought him some themed sweets and biscuits (hard luck local children) and saw the spiders and cobwebby stuff in the pound shop .. couldn't resist it but I made Alan swear on his life and his Kate Bush confetti that he won't use the spiders EVER as part of a prank

Tim Burton way is a very apt description! I wouldn't have come up with it myself but that's exactly what she looks like =)

Swearing on KB confetti... :lol: Priceless! And I can imagine Alan being at least a bit tempted to pull a spider prank... :D Oh man! 

Mustn't put life off in order to read .. life and friends and loved ones come first. Books will wait .. that's the nice thing about them. They won't get huffy  Not even Carter Beats the Devil 

I suppose... But I was going to read now, before my friend arrives, but there's no peace and quiet, the neighbor came over with his kids to look at the broken dishwasher. 

I'm probably not going to be able to read at all today. :rolleyes: I shouldn't complain really. I will have tomorrow! 

Re: pics posted by Kay: Halloweeny Moomins! :D Who would've though. I really like the display. And the purple walls match it beautifully. 

And Alan can still see his image in the window, that means he's still not metamorphosed into something else :D I remember the Dracula castle pic in your FB albums and there he was, too :D

Not sure the pasty shop got it quite right though that's positively discouraging 

halloweenpasty.jpg

Ahhhahha :D

Read The Birds and another short story by Daphne du Maurier called The Old Man (the two stories together only amount to about 48 pages), also read The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury (149 pages) and 94 pages of The Wimbledon Poisoner 

This morning I've read 46 pages of The Life of Charlotte Bronte (not Halloweeny obviously .. but I'm trying to progress with it) and 20 more pages of The Wimbledon Poisoner .. hope to carry on later and possibly read some more of Daphne's short stories 

Well done! And you've already finished one book, too! Bloody hell :D 

I forgot to record my own reading from yesterday: 162 pages of A Man Called Ove

^  Good stuff! :) And there are still a few hours of today left! :cool:

I've not been able to do any reading, I went to Helsinki with friend last night and only came back a few hours ago. I'll see if I can get some reading done this evening though. 

Great pictures again, Kay!

It's good to 'see' you too. :smile2: Unfortunately, not much chance to read as yet as I was too busy working last night, but the girlfriend is coming over today and we've got The Walking Dead on series record. That counts as a Halloween-related thing to do, even if it's not reading right? :P

What did you think of The Halloween Tree? I downloaded it per Steve's recommendation (like many others) and I'm hoping to get around to it while it's still during the read-a-thon. Dug out a Dean Koontz book called The Good Guy too which looks suitably creepy, so there's always that. *shrugs*

Thanks Ben :) Yes .. watching scary movies/programmes is most important at Halloween. The nearest I came to it was watching Michael Jackson's Thriller and the Strictly Halloween special :D

I loved The Halloween Tree .. very reminiscent of A Christmas Carol ..  and something that Tim Burton could excellently animate as somebody has already mentioned. Even if you don't get time this weekend .. it's an excellent November read and not too difficult to do in one or two sittings :)  

Sounds lovely! :smile2: I need to remember to light up some candles myself, to make at least some sort of an effort with the atmosphere.

They really come into their own in winter don't they? .. candles! When I light them I come over all Emily Bronte and fancy that I could maybe scribble down the opening chapter of a novel :D In reality though they just gives me the squints and then a headache :D 

But the new Finnish membies will never be the same as you guys! =( I guess I'll have to move there! =D

Well I certainly think this train of thought ought to be encouraged :D  :hug:

To be fair, I bought it because it was spicy, it had peppers and stuff on it. But usually when you buy something that's supposed to be spicy, it never is. But this one really was! =D When I mentioned it to my friend, she asked me if I'd bought it from Lidl and if it was called Inferno (yes it was) and she started laughing and said she knows the pizza, it's infamous :D

Ooh .. the Lidl Inferno .. I am going to check that out for sure!

Tim Burton way is a very apt description! I wouldn't have come up with it myself but that's exactly what she looks like =)

Swearing on KB confetti... :lol: Priceless! And I can imagine Alan being at least a bit tempted to pull a spider prank... :D Oh man!

He'd better not!! I'll steal his 'Kate Bush Rescue Tin' and sell it on eBay for 99p  :D 

I suppose... But I was going to read now, before my friend arrives, but there's no peace and quiet, the neighbor came over with his kids to look at the broken dishwasher. 

I'm probably not going to be able to read at all today. :rolleyes: I shouldn't complain really. I will have tomorrow!

Hope today was better for you but really .. no stress ..  it's annoying but just can't be helped :(

Halloweeny Moomins! :D Who would've though. I really like the display. And the purple walls match it beautifully.

She loves her Moomins ..  her Mum dresses them up for the window apparently :D 

And Alan can still see his image in the window, that means he's still not metamorphosed into something else :D I remember the Dracula castle pic in your FB albums and there he was, too :D

True .. it's best to keep checking :D 

Well done! And you've already finished one book, too! Bloody hell :D

Twas but a short book. A Kindle book though so well done me as I'm not good at reading the Kindle. Feels unnatural. As such I think shortish books are the way to go on it .. for me.

I forgot to record my own reading from yesterday: 162 pages of A Man Called Ove.

There you go .. excellent  :) 

I hope that's not the filling of the pasty!!!!  :o

Quite .. it's a bit too Mrs Lovett for my liking :D

As I didn't have anything in the house to suit the theme, it seemed fitting to go and find somewhere else ...

attachicon.gifHalloweenCupcake.jpg

Good plan .. looks delish .. was it chocolate orangey or just full on chocolatey or what Claire? (I need to know :D)

I'm now halfway through Hell's Belles and just about to settle down for another session. :smile2:

Goodo!

Saturday reading: 

Managed to plod on some more with The Life of Charlotte Bronte (46 pages) .. then read two short stories from Daphne du Maurier .. Kiss Me Again Stranger and The Apple Tree (71 pages in total) .. also read 123 pages of The Wimbledon Poisoner

Sunday reading:

24 more pages of The Life of Charlotte Bronte and finished The Wimbledon Poisoner (111 pages)

Totally enjoyed this weekend's reading .. thanks for suggesting it frankie  :hug:

Oh, maybe she has read the book, yes! That didn't cross my mind :D I guess it's just that I would think that whoever will read the book will love it and make it known on here :blush: And so far I think I've only come across you and tunn300! 

What am I...chopped liver? I enjoyed Gold too, ya know! :P

I've missed this whole thread until now. :( But I was both sick and busy on the weekend, so I wouldn't have been able to join in anyway. Glad you all had a good time.

What am I...chopped liver? I enjoyed Gold too, ya know! :P

I've missed this whole thread until now. :( But I was both sick and busy on the weekend, so I wouldn't have been able to join in anyway. Glad you all had a good time.

:oHow did we forget that??  :o Sorry Kylie  :hug: All the more reason for Claire to read it .. we can't all be wrong :D

Sorry to hear that you've been sick :( Hope you're feeling much better xx

I loved The Halloween Tree .. very reminiscent of A Christmas Carol ..  and something that Tim Burton could excellently animate as somebody has already mentioned. Even if you don't get time this weekend .. it's an excellent November read and not too difficult to do in one or two sittings :)  

Glad you enjoyed it, Kay  :smile: