Disturbing Horror Movies

frankie

I came across this list of 17 disturbing horror movies some months ago and wrote the titles down. When I still lived in Joensuu we used to have movie nights with a friend and we would usually watch horror movies, and we've watched at least Hostel off the list. 

Here are the movies on the list: 

The Exorcist

The Woman

The Human Centipede

Hostel

The Last House on the Left

The Girl Next Door

Maniac

Insidious

The Orphanage

Excision

Cannibal Holocaust

Teeth

Funny Games

Hostel II

The Mist

8MM

A Serbian Film

Have you watched any of these movies and would you agree that they have earned their place on the list? Do you like to watch disturbing horror movies or do you go out of your way to avoid them? Do you have any movies to add to the list? 

I would personally add at least these on the list:

Bug

I Saw the Devil

The Exorcist - Classic that has pretty much stood the test of time, although some of the effects would have been done by CGI nowadays. I have actually watched it a good half a dozen ties and enjoyed it a fair bit.

The Human Centipede - This is just a sick shock-fest rather than a scary film of any merit.

8MM - I would put this more in the category of thriller than horror, and even so, it's pretty average.

I've not seen the others. The Hostel films (as well as films like Saw and its sequels) aren't my cup of tea - I prefer a deep psychological horror/terror. I would replace 8MM with Paranormal Activity, which (for the first film, at least), was pretty innovative and had some pretty decent scares and disturbing moments in it. I would also replace The Human Centipede with Ringu (the original Japanese version, not the American remake, Ring), as it tapped into the media as a conduit for a very personal kind of communicable terror.

I do love a good scary film and have spent my entire adult life to date looking for a film that will really scare the wiggins out of me.

Ive seen every film on that list. I personally dont find them disturbing but i could see why some people would. Although there is a scene near the end of Serbian Film that is prettty disturbing because of what it (underage rape).

I would add a few french films onto that list such as Inside, High Tension, . I really enjoyed Human Centipede, it was a very intriguing idea for a film.

The Orphanage isn't that much of a horror film in all honesty. More of a thriller I thought.

The original Ring and The Grudge should be on there and are creepy as anything.

Also I would make a case for Alien to be on there. Probably my favourite horror film but most people label it as sci-fi. Incredible build up, original horror, very tense, claustrophobic and it keeps you on edge for long periods. Atmosphere is the main ingredient for a good horror film IMO not gore or a dude in mask.

I've lost hope for me with horror movies. I never get scared. I laugh sometimes though. 

Me too - I often find myself laughing out loud while others are cringing behind cushions or hiding their head in the shoulder of their partner (if at the cinema). I've had some dreadful glares from some people who think it's terribly inappropriate to laugh, but often the so-called scary bits are absolutely laughable - either badly executed, or just plain silly - in which case, how can I help but laugh?!

On a side note, I think I find dark humour where other people sometimes miss it. I remember once, when I was reading American Psycho in my lunch break at work, I found part of it hilarious (I'm pretty certain it's a dark comic horror, that book!), and was laughing out loud, People avoided me for a long time and I heard the occasional whisper about me being that "strange lass who laughed while reading that horrible psycho murder book!" I had to laugh at them, because I felt they'd completely missed the point of the book, if they'd even read it at all! ;)

From the list I have seen :

The Mist

Funny Games.

Teeth.

I wouldn't class The Mist as a real disturbing horror more a thrilling  "what if?" in the same class as The Crazies.

Teeth was a dark teen comedy and was excellent. Again not a horror IMO. More a feminist coming of age revenge film.

Funny Games did disturb me because there seemed no reason why the boys were doing what they were doing.

I have The Woman at home I found in a charity shop. I watched half an hour but turned it off. It just seemed to be heading somewhere sick.

Not a big fan of sicko movies