Enid Blyton’s Faraway Tree series inspires new film

chesilbeach

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/22/enid-blyton-faraway-tree-series-film-sam-mendes

I was addicted to Enid Blyton books when I was little, and I must have read the Faraway Tree series dozens of times.  Oddly, can't remember that much about them now, but they're still up on my shelf, so maybe a re-read is in order!

Funnily enough, only the other day, I was chatting to my colleague at work, and he was telling me that he was reading this series with his little girl at the moment.  I'm sure I read somewhere previously that the books had been updated recently and made more politically correct, so I'm glad I kept my original ones.

I bought one second hand some time ago (I didn't keep it - I donated it back to the charity shop when I realised it was different from the original, which I loved) and they've changed some of the names - so (from memory) Jo is now the more usual masculine spelling of Joe, Fanny is Frannie and Bess is Beth.  Was there a Dick?  If so I've a feeling he's now Rick, although that could be from another Enid Blyton book (not the Famous Five though).

I think Dame Slap is now Dame Snap and shouts at people rather than hitting them!

I like the idea of the film - as long as they don't change too much.  The article says they're making a new version of The Famous Five too).

Thanks for sharing.  :)