Matt Haig

bobblybear

I recently finished The Humans, which is the first book I have read by him. I've just written up the review on my Book Log and it's brought back to me how much I really enjoyed it. :boogie:

Does anyone else have any recommendations about which book to read next? I enjoyed the humour and the wittiness, but also enjoyed his engaging, but easy-to-read writing style.

I've heard The Radleys mentioned quite a bit, and it appears he has also written quite a few children's books.

Anyone else enjoy his books?

I have The Humans on my wishlist thanks to chesilbeach :)

I've read three of Haig's other books: The Radleys, The Possession of Mr Cave, and The Last Family in England

TLFiE is one of the best dog themed books I've ever read, along with The Art of Racing in the Rain. The story's told from the viewpoint of a Labrador. I dare you to try and read the book and not get emotional! 

The Radleys was really good, too. I think it might be similar to The Humans, in the tone and theme, because it's a vampire book. 

TPoMC l wasn't all too keen on, but it might have been that I wasn't in the right mood for it. I know Weave enjoyed it :)

So... I would definitely recommend The Radleys and The Last Family in England, at least :)

Edited by frankie

Apart from The Humans (which is my favourite novel of the year so far), I've only read The Radleys so far, and enjoyed it a lot, and it was because I'd liked it that I picked up The Humans, as I wanted to read more of Matt's books.   I'm definitely going to read more at some point, and will probably read the children's books too, as I'm like that … I tend to read everything by an author once they've got their claws into me! :D

Oh, I didn't realise The Last Family in England was dog themed! :boogie:  I shall make that my next read then, followed by The Radleys (which always makes me think of To Kill A Mockingbird).

I'm not surprised The Humans is your favourite novel of the year, chesilbeach. It was such a good read. I'd say it's probably my second favourite (after I Am Pilgrim).

The Amazon descriptions of The Humans, The Radleys and Mr. Cave, are very interesting.  Thanks for adding to the sample pile, folks.  ;)  :giggle2:

Edited by Anna Begins

• 1 month later...

Here's the full list of his books from http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/matt-haig/

Series

Shadow Forest

1. Shadow Forest (2007)

2. Samuel Blink and the Runaway Troll (2008)

Novels

The Last Family in England (2004)

aka The Labrador Pact

The Dead Father's Club (2006)

Samuel Blink and the Forbidden Forest (2007)

The Possession of Mr Cave (2008)

The Runaway Troll (2008)

The Radleys (2010)

To Be A Cat (2012)

The Humans (2013)

Exquisite Corpse (2013) (with Naomi Alderman, Stella Duffy, Joe Dunthorne, Stuart Evers, Vanessa Gebbie, Alex Preston, Kamila Shamsie, Marcel Theroux and G Willow Wilson)

Echo Boy (2014)

Collections

Haunted (2011) (with Susan Cooper, Joseph Delaney, Berlie Doherty, Jamila Gavin, Robin Jarvis, Derek Landy, Sam Llewellyn, Mal Peet, Philip Reeve and Eleanor Updale)

Non fiction

Humans: An A-Z (2014)

Reasons to Stay Alive (2015)

• 1 year later...

I literally have fallen in love with Matt Haigs books. 

They are written in such a way that makes them an easy read but the stories make it challenging and gets you thinking. 

2 books that definitely got me thinking is "the humans" and "reasons to stay alive" they both have interest and make you question things which is what i like in a book- to make you think!

Matt Haig has certainly grown to become one of my favourite authors in recent months and i think he deserves more credit for his books- such excellence.

Never heard of this author before, but I checked out his wiki entry and his work sounds original and fiascinating. I think I'll definitely be trying him out soon, maybe starting with Shadow Forest, because I've been re-visiting some of my favourite children's works recently, particularly those that deal with darker themes, and this sounds like a good modern addition to that genre. 

• 11 months later...

Matt Haig has a new book out: How to Stop Time.

Synopsis from Book Depository: 'I am old. That is the first thing to tell you. The thing you are least likely to believe. If you saw me you would probably think I was about forty, but you would be very wrong.' Tom Hazard has a dangerous secret. He may look like an ordinary 41-year-old, but owing to a rare condition, he's been alive for centuries. From Elizabethan England to Jazz-Age Paris, from New York to the South Seas, Tom has seen a lot, and now craves an ordinary life. Always changing his identity to stay alive, Tom has the perfect cover - working as a history teacher at a London comprehensive. Here he can teach the kids about wars and witch hunts as if he'd never witnessed them first-hand. He can try to tame the past that is fast catching up with him. The only thing Tom must not do is fall in love.How to Stop Time is a wild and bittersweet story about losing and finding yourself, about the certainty of change and about the lifetimes it can take to really learn how to live.