22 replies to this topic

#21 anisia

anisia

Watch the Sky

• Supporter
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

I finished Fangirl over the weekend, such a lovely read. Even though I can't say I got too invested in the fan fiction appearing in the book, as someone who reads a lot of fan fiction, it's nice to read a book that puts it at the centre and doesn't mock it.

#22 Sakura

Sakura

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Reading now?:Seelenläufer
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:05 PM

I've just read Fangirl and immediately started on Carry On. I love it, it's so me as a teenager, including the fanfiction writing (even though I never was any good). I'm a sucker for well written, relatable characters.

Carry On is good too, but it feels a bit weird, because it's so obviously a stand in for the Harry Potter stories. There are a lot parallels. I hope it gets more of a life on it's own further in.

#23 theultimateredemption

theultimateredemption

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:06 PM

I have read all of Rainbow Rowell's books (Except for Kindred Spirits, as it's not in the US yet.) I have to say, I've loved every one.

Her writing style is on point, she doesn't shy away from issues, and her characters are spot on. Honest, real, weird, nerdy, perfectly imperfect. Her writing just gets to me, in a way I can't describe. She shows the world in such a unique way. 

I am so happy to find other people talking about her. I understand the thing about the Carry On "Harry Potter stand in", but in my opinion it adds it's own fresh twist., as do all her books.  :readingtwo: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users