Rainbow Rowell

frankie

I couldn't find a thread on Rainbow Rowell so I decided to start one. I wasn't sure where to start it, because she writes YA but also contemporary adult fiction (perhaps sometimes categorized as chick-lit?) so I thought maybe this is where to start. 

I came across one of her novels on Goodreads, one titled AttachmentsThen one of my favorite authors, Augusten Burroughs, was praising her book Landline on his Facebook feed. I mentioned this in his thread on here and people mentioned hearing of her titles called Fangirl and Eleanor & Park.

I found a copy of Attachment at the library last week by pure chance and borrowed it, and I started reading it last night in bed. I'm really enjoying it! :smile2: 

Have you read any of Rowell's novels and how have you liked them? 

I've read Fangirl and loved it! It was such a great book. It's about a girl who goes to college. She has a twin sister but suddenly her twin sister doesn't want to spend much time with her anymore (including not sharing a dorm room either). She takes writing classes and others and she loves to write fanfiction of a made up book series called Simon Snow. She is shy but slowly starts to make some friends. It's a really nice book, I loved every page.

I have Attachments and Eleanor & Park on my TBR. Landline is on my wishlist (waiting for paperback release).

I'm glad to hear you're liking Attachments so far :). Please do post your thoughts when you have finished it. The synopsis sounds quite intruiging.

I read Attachments two days ago and I really enjoyed it! The main characters were really interesting and I thought the format of the emails and Lincoln's chapters was a really interesting way of telling the story. I prefer Fangirl overall but I liked both :).

I also just finished Attachments and really enjoyed it, and would recommend it if you want to read something in this genre. :smile2: I've already reserved Rowell's other novels in the library :giggle:

I hope you enjoy them when you read them :)! Do post what you think of them if you want.

• 1 month later...

I got a copy of Fangirl from the library a few weeks ago and started reading it pretty soon afterwards. When I got to the first page, I almost gave up on it immediately, the first page being an info page on a fictional book series that the Fangirl is partly about. But I thought I'd give the book a go in the end, and after a few dozen pages I was hooked. It was so readable and gripping! I think I read the book in one day, which is a lot for me as it was in English and it has about 450 pages. 

I think I liked the premise of Attachments more, and I think that it's for a wider audience than Fangirl, but both have been great reads in my opinion :smile2: I'm looking forward to reading Rowell's other novels! 

I'm glad you enjoyed Fangirl :)! I plan to read Eleanor & Park next year as that's the last book by her that I own and haven't read yet (though I will be reading Landline too once out in paperback). I hope you enjoy her other books, too!

I'm glad you enjoyed Fangirl :)! I plan to read Eleanor & Park next year as that's the last book by her that I own and haven't read yet (though I will be reading Landline too once out in paperback). I hope you enjoy her other books, too!

I'm planning on reading Eleanor & Park next year too. :) In fact, I pulled it out today thinking I might start it, but then I thought I should focus on finishing a few other books before the year is out.

I'm planning on reading Eleanor & Park next year too. :) In fact, I pulled it out today thinking I might start it, but then I thought I should focus on finishing a few other books before the year is out.

I hope you enjoy it when you read it, Kylie :)!

• 1 month later...

Rainbow Rowell is my new favourite author! I read Fangirl and Eleanor and Park during the last few months of last year. Started reading Attachments last night, and I am loving it so far. Out of the three I've read I think this one has to be the best!

I've now finished the novel and I have to say it wasn't up to par with Attachments and Fangirl, I'm afraid. Personally I just wasn't as invested in the story and the characters as I was with the previous novels. But I had a few distractions so that might've done it. Maybe you could borrow it from the library? 

Edit: When I was looking at the cover of the book, I noticed that the author photo was taken by Augusten Burroughs :D So they know each other personally... 

Edited by frankie

• 9 months later...

Rainbow Rowell has a new book out, called Carry On. It's slightly connected to Fangirl. Cath in Fangirl wrote fanfiction about a fictional series. This is a book that also takes place in that fictional series (the same characters), but it's not the fanfiction, I think? It can be read completely on its own though, you don't need to read Fangirl at all to understand it (though.. why wouldn't you, as it's brilliant :D). I've ordered the paperback edition of Carry On, which for once is out around the same time as the hardcover :D. I look forward to read it, I've heard a lot of high praise for the book.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I finished Fangirl over the weekend, such a lovely read. Even though I can't say I got too invested in the fan fiction appearing in the book, as someone who reads a lot of fan fiction, it's nice to read a book that puts it at the centre and doesn't mock it.

I've just read Fangirl and immediately started on Carry On. I love it, it's so me as a teenager, including the fanfiction writing (even though I never was any good). I'm a sucker for well written, relatable characters.

Carry On is good too, but it feels a bit weird, because it's so obviously a stand in for the Harry Potter stories. There are a lot parallels. I hope it gets more of a life on it's own further in.

• 3 months later...

I have read all of Rainbow Rowell's books (Except for Kindred Spirits, as it's not in the US yet.) I have to say, I've loved every one.

Her writing style is on point, she doesn't shy away from issues, and her characters are spot on. Honest, real, weird, nerdy, perfectly imperfect. Her writing just gets to me, in a way I can't describe. She shows the world in such a unique way. 

I am so happy to find other people talking about her. I understand the thing about the Carry On "Harry Potter stand in", but in my opinion it adds it's own fresh twist., as do all her books.  :readingtwo: 

• 2 months later...