21 replies to this topic

#1 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,529 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

I couldn't find a thread on Rainbow Rowell so I decided to start one. I wasn't sure where to start it, because she writes YA but also contemporary adult fiction (perhaps sometimes categorized as chick-lit?) so I thought maybe this is where to start. 

I came across one of her novels on Goodreads, one titled AttachmentsThen one of my favorite authors, Augusten Burroughs, was praising her book Landline on his Facebook feed. I mentioned this in his thread on here and people mentioned hearing of her titles called Fangirl and Eleanor & Park.

I found a copy of Attachment at the library last week by pure chance and borrowed it, and I started reading it last night in bed. I'm really enjoying it! :smile2: 

Have you read any of Rowell's novels and how have you liked them? 

#2 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

I've read Fangirl and loved it! It was such a great book. It's about a girl who goes to college. She has a twin sister but suddenly her twin sister doesn't want to spend much time with her anymore (including not sharing a dorm room either). She takes writing classes and others and she loves to write fanfiction of a made up book series called Simon Snow. She is shy but slowly starts to make some friends. It's a really nice book, I loved every page.

I have Attachments and Eleanor & Park on my TBR. Landline is on my wishlist (waiting for paperback release).

I'm glad to hear you're liking Attachments so far :). Please do post your thoughts when you have finished it. The synopsis sounds quite intruiging.

#3 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

When I went to the YA Lit Convention, I think she was the most popular author there, with a loooong signing queue. However, I'd never come across her before. I have Eleanor and Park on my kindle waiting for me.

#4 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

I read Attachments two days ago and I really enjoyed it! The main characters were really interesting and I thought the format of the emails and Lincoln's chapters was a really interesting way of telling the story. I prefer Fangirl overall but I liked both :).

#5 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,529 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

I also just finished Attachments and really enjoyed it, and would recommend it if you want to read something in this genre. :smile2: I've already reserved Rowell's other novels in the library :giggle: 

#6 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

I also just finished Attachments and really enjoyed it, and would recommend it if you want to read something in this genre. :smile2: I've already reserved Rowell's other novels in the library :giggle:

I hope you enjoy them when you read them :)! Do post what you think of them if you want.

#7 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,529 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

I got a copy of Fangirl from the library a few weeks ago and started reading it pretty soon afterwards. When I got to the first page, I almost gave up on it immediately, the first page being an info page on a fictional book series that the Fangirl is partly about. But I thought I'd give the book a go in the end, and after a few dozen pages I was hooked. It was so readable and gripping! I think I read the book in one day, which is a lot for me as it was in English and it has about 450 pages. 

I think I liked the premise of Attachments more, and I think that it's for a wider audience than Fangirl, but both have been great reads in my opinion :smile2: I'm looking forward to reading Rowell's other novels! 

#8 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:33 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed Fangirl :)! I plan to read Eleanor & Park next year as that's the last book by her that I own and haven't read yet (though I will be reading Landline too once out in paperback). I hope you enjoy her other books, too!

#9 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,529 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:42 AM

I have a hard time believing Rowell could write a bad book, a book that I will not like... :D 

#10 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,256 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed Fangirl :)! I plan to read Eleanor & Park next year as that's the last book by her that I own and haven't read yet (though I will be reading Landline too once out in paperback). I hope you enjoy her other books, too!

I'm planning on reading Eleanor & Park next year too. :) In fact, I pulled it out today thinking I might start it, but then I thought I should focus on finishing a few other books before the year is out.

#11 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

I'm planning on reading Eleanor & Park next year too. :) In fact, I pulled it out today thinking I might start it, but then I thought I should focus on finishing a few other books before the year is out.

I hope you enjoy it when you read it, Kylie :)!

#12 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,256 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

I hope you enjoy it too! :)

#13 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:38 AM

I hope you enjoy it too! :)

#14 Nightwish

Nightwish

Mega Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Reading now?:Pride and Prejudice
  • LocationDerbyshire

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

Rainbow Rowell is my new favourite author! I read Fangirl and Eleanor and Park during the last few months of last year. Started reading Attachments last night, and I am loving it so far. Out of the three I've read I think this one has to be the best!

#15 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,529 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

I'm currently reading Landline, but have also read Fangirl and Attachments and I agree with you, Nightwish, Attachments has been my favorite so far! :smile2: Rowell is great!

#16 Nightwish

Nightwish

Mega Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Reading now?:Pride and Prejudice
  • LocationDerbyshire

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:47 PM

How are you finding Landline so far, Frankie? I must admit this is the only book of hers that has not really stuck out to me so far. I'm umming over buying it at the moment...

#17 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,529 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:04 AM

I've now finished the novel and I have to say it wasn't up to par with Attachments and Fangirl, I'm afraid. Personally I just wasn't as invested in the story and the characters as I was with the previous novels. But I had a few distractions so that might've done it. Maybe you could borrow it from the library? 

Edit: When I was looking at the cover of the book, I noticed that the author photo was taken by Augusten Burroughs :D So they know each other personally... 

Edited by frankie, 22 January 2015 - 05:06 AM.

#18 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:56 AM

Edit: When I was looking at the cover of the book, I noticed that the author photo was taken by Augusten Burroughs :D So they know each other personally...

That's cool :)!

#19 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

Rainbow Rowell has a new book out, called Carry On. It's slightly connected to Fangirl. Cath in Fangirl wrote fanfiction about a fictional series. This is a book that also takes place in that fictional series (the same characters), but it's not the fanfiction, I think? It can be read completely on its own though, you don't need to read Fangirl at all to understand it (though.. why wouldn't you, as it's brilliant :D). I've ordered the paperback edition of Carry On, which for once is out around the same time as the hardcover :D. I look forward to read it, I've heard a lot of high praise for the book.

#20 DauntlessTribute

DauntlessTribute

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Reading now?:The World Set Free
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

I've just read Carry On and loved it, so now I've just begun reading Fangirl! Her characters are amazing, at least in Carry On. Love Baz!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users